August TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August TTC

They don't confirm with a blood test because you are pg if you get the line on a home pregnancy test.

Silver, I understand your feelings about the reassurance the blood test gives, but I'm also trying to dispell the myth that you need to "confirm the pg with a blood test."  The EPT is accurate, just not precise.  Back in the 70s, people HAD to confirm with a blood test because EPTs weren't as accurate and now there's this myth out there that you can't be sure you're pg even if you get a BFP on a POAS stick test.  You can confirm your own pg (making sure it is still viable - there are hardly ever real false positives) by taking another home pg test a week later.  Of course, you need the blood test at some point to find out the level of hCG which is why these offices are not having people come in right away but instead at the 8 week mark.

This is not to disparage anyone who WANTS to get the blood test, but just know if you get the line you HAVE hCG in your blood and, at least for that moment, are pg.  But, if you want to go in and get blood draw, why not?  If it makes you feel better than POAS again, by all means, go for it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

First of all DH is not pg, but I am! BFP! Darker line on the strips and then I took another "real" test and the second line showed up before I even put it down!  It's pretty surreal right now. I've had butterflies all morning.   My Dr. opens @8, so I'll call and see what my next step is.  I don't have an Ob or anything.. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

There are very rare circumstances when you could get a false positive urine dip (in truth not actually a false positive b/c it is detecting hcg but this can be elevated in certain cancers - this is how men sometimes get a positive pregnancy test). 

That being said, of course, you can get a false negative if the blood values are not high enough to be detected by the urine dip.  This is VERY early in pregnancy.

You do not need to confirm by blood.  However, I find having hcg levels helpful particularly if one starts bleeding.  This happened to me and the only reassurance that the pregnancy was fine was that I had had a baseline hcg and it went up.  At 8 weeks - your first visit I don't even think I had an hcg at that time. At that time an u/s should detect HR and this is much more important than hcg levels.  HCG level vary greatly from person to person so you can't really go by the number.

Sadly, I have had people come to my clinic telling me that had a positive hcg test and the serum was negative.  So it does happen.  I have chalked it up to error in reading which is the most likely reason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

ajuly - congrats!!!  such exciting news!  i'm hoping for more good news from this board too!  keep 'em coming!

re: the blood test, sounds like everyone's practice is different.  mine had me come in and they tested hcg levels which can be a good indicator of how far along and/or how well the fetus is doing so far (i think?).  my levels were "*really* good," so of course i immediately asked "that doesn't mean i'm having twins does it???" to which the nurse replied "no, no!" - um, yes, yes.  !!!  ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lil is 100% correct, but for most cases a woman can be very reasonably assured and not wonder if she is actually pg when she gets even the faintest of faint lines on an EPT.  I'm really not disparaging the early blood test, any doctor who orders one, or any woman who wants one, though - I'd probably be just as eager to run to the doctor!

Sometimes I hate the double edged sword of the EPTs of today being able to detect pregnancy so darned early with the teensiest tiniest bit of hCG.  I love being able to find out, but at the same time, I don't want to know and then find that it only lasted long enough to give just enough hCG in my system that it shows up briefly on an EPT.  And, don't even get me started on how much money I've wasted on these too darned sensitive things!  It's a love/hate relationship I have with 6-day First Response.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kar-you should get the strips that I got from amazon, can't go wrong at $5 for 25, and they seem to be just as sensitive as the ept. Certainly cheaper, but not sure if you want them lying around! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats ajuly!!

Re: blood tests, I've had a couple of friends take a HPT, get a positive, call the OB to go in for a blood test and when they arrived... were handed a poas test, just like the one they already took!  So docs obviously find those viable.  :) 

Also, my close friend who's about to give birth any second went for an actual blood test at the beginning and afterwards wished she hadn't.  Her HCG levels were not what they "should have been" and she spent about 2 weeks totally and completely stressed out - and everything was fine in the end.  She would not have gone through that stress if she had not asked for a blood test.  When I got my BFP about 2 months after her, she enouraged me NOT to go for the blood test based on her experience.  My OB practice was like yours, Fram - they just said, "see you at 8 weeks!"  I decided to trust them.

Just a couple of other perspectives!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I do get those...sigh.  I'm still addicted to the far more expensive 6-day FR because they have an hCG booster that makes them 100% accurrate (in their own studies, mind you) for pg women 4 days before missed period.  Even the most sensitive 5-day EPTs (including the cheap strips) are only about 65% accurrate at that time.

I would be smarter and richer to wait and use the cheap strips or, smarter yet to wait 'til AF is actually LATE given that I know exactly when she's arriving due to the ovulation strips.  But, alas, I'm weak and not that smart. :(

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

My OB practice is the exact same (see you at 8 weeks) - unless you've miscarried. Then they want to watch you more closely and do a series of blood tests to make sure things are progressing. Like I said, I don't really get that b/c they can't fix it if its not gonna work...but whatever. For me personally, I wanted the blood test b/c I WAS having trouble believing if the line was pink or not. When a line is that faint (and you have a wedding to go to that weekend and would like to know if you can booze it up or not), the blood test is just a little more helpful.

HCG...funny, I even knew what it stood for and didn't consider that it wouldn't be in dogs. My dog is part human, I'm sure of it. So maybe that's why... :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

but anyway, congrats ajuly! so happy for you. And very happy your husband isn't pregnant...that would have been very stressful. :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

LOL Silver!  Two pregnant people in one home would just be too much!

Congratulations ajuly!!!!!  Watching that plus sign appear really is SO surreal.  I truly could not believe what was happening before my eyes.  It's tough to finish up your business, when you want to start jumping up and down and waving the stick all over!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Again, I'm not deriding nor have I ever derided anyone's comfort level in the blood test, desire to have one, or whatever.  A concrete number is different than a line or no line no matter how you slice it - I get it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Congrats ajuly!!!  That is so exciting!

I think the blood tests are a double edged sword kind of thing.  Reassuring if they come out fine...  I had to go in every couple of days so they could monitor my hcg levels because of previous m/c's and it was very stressful as I have had them not change, and go down previously.  But on the other hand when this pregnancy was sticking it was nice to get the exciting news every few days that they were going up each time especially while waiting to have my u/s which they actually did very early for me. (It was like a week monitoring the hcg levels and then the following week we had our first u/s.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

ajuly, that's great!!!  Congratulations!  I guess Friday the 13th isn't an unlucky day for you.  :)

I can't get over how many of us from the wedding boards are all pregnant at the same time!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I guess we all caught the baby fever at the same time :o)
    We didn't purposely wait for a year after the wedding; we just waited until the right time for us, but I'm glad now that we had a little while of being married with nothing crazy on our plate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Haha, wow, I didn't even realize it's Friday the 13th, guess I have other stuff on my mind!   We were going to wait till next summer to start trying but when I suggested it, and DH was on board (to my surprise!) we said why not!  
    Just got back from the Dr., and I was scheduled with a female NP(who I've seen a lot), when I got there I was scheduled with a male dr. I had never seen, and was quite nervous to talk about all this stuff with a male.  I actually loved him and he made me so comfortable. He has teenage kids and told me stories about his wife and the whole experience. I guess I should not write off having a male doctor.  I got a urine test and a blood test, guess that's what they do there, but don't know when I'll actually hear back about the blood test.   
    The doctor said I need to look for an OB, I thought I'd get some recommendations, but he said asking people myself would be better.  So now, I have to do that too.. I'm going to post to ask around...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

ajuly, I was also a little uneasy about a male doctor, but I really like my OB (so far). He basically became my doctor by default - he was the one available when we had our not-so-great ultrasound. the fact that he did such a great job talking to me and being reasonable with me while I was sitting in his office sobbing, made me respect him a lot. He also called me personally after I got the BFP to tell me my results and what our next steps were, and I really liked that. He has great bedside mannar, which in this line of business I think is extremely important. He also really bonded well with my husband - they talked about sports, etc. and he personally called DH after my D&C to let him know how it went and to offer a little extra words of encouragement. I apprecaited that.

I know I mentioned in your last thread, but I really like Melrose Wakefield and like the other thread mentioned there are a lot of women who speak highly of them as well. I've heard great things about every single doctor in that office now, so if you go there you have several to choose from. Mine is Dr. O'Connor.

All the nurses there are so wonderful, at least in my experience. If that is my experience at the worst time in my life, I can only imagine they will be even better during what will hopefully be the best... :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

question...
    When coming off birth control pills, is it better to wait until a full cycle is complete?  Or can I just stop mid way through a pack?  I was trying to be patient and wait until the end, but then one of my friends said she stopped mid-pack. 

I have heard stories of how some women are more fertile right after coming off the pill, so I didn't know how best to work that in my favor. 

oh... and congrats ajuly!  I've always thought Friday the 13th's were lucky... my first kiss with DH was almost 4 years ago on a Friday the 13th! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Bostongrl, my very un-medically trained guess is that it is fine, but that you will likely get AF now with a lack of hormones instead of the placebo week, right?  My old gyn helped me move AF for my wedding bycutting a few pill packs short over a few months and skipping a few placebo weeks, so I don't think there's any harm of stopping mid-pack, but I am also not sure if there's any advantage or disadvantage in terms of TTC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I was on and off the pill for years and I constantly went off midpack. Mostly b/c I was irresponsible with it and just didnt like taking pills. I never had any problems and it would seem I don't have any trouble conceiving.  You should get AF very soon after you stop taking them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The only thing to consider is that you have the potential to somewhat control when you'll get your periods.  Like Silver said, you'll get it in the next couple of days and will likely get it again the regular time later (although, it might take awhile to get back on track so you can't know for sure).  Check the calendar, and if you're planning to be on vacation or whatever 30 - 33 days from now you might want to wait a week before you stop taking them, for instance.  But, that's nothing to do with health - if you want to dump them, dump them!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alto2. Show Alto2's posts

Soooooo... this thread has been mighty quiet since the mass August BFP exodus. Congrats all who lucked out this month, but i'm wondering if there's anyone else left lingering in TTC/infertility limbo.

C'mon, people. I can hear you lurking.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

I'm usually just a lurker, but I'm still here Alto!
    AF came late this month and got me excited. I felt like it was 'never' late before, but to be honest I've only been off the pill since April so I don't really have that much history to go on. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Nothing new to report for me either but I am still lingering.  I am at day 60+ days still waiting very impatiently.  I did however remember that the reason I went on the pill 5 years ago was because I was so freakin annoyed with the randomness of my periods I could go 2-3 months. It is strange that I had forgotten about that untill I thought long and hard about why I went on it in the first place since I knew it had nothing to do with my DH.  Anyway and we are waiting on DH's count as well which we hope to get this week.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Still lurking here, too, although I am pre-TTC.  Just started what will either be my last or second to last BC pack on Sunday.

Sections
Shortcuts