Clomid Questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

Clomid Questions

Hi!!  For anyone who has been/is or knows someone who has been on clomid I was hoping to hear your experience.

I'm going to be starting it in a couple weeks, my cycles are usually 35-50 days (averaging between 35-40), so this should solve that problem.  I had originally been saying I was going to wait until the begining of the year to try any treatments as that will be a year that DH and I have been trying.  My Dr had been pushing to start them right away because of our history (long cycles, endometriosis, a blocked fallopian tube, and a vasectomy reversal-which was successful), but I really wanted to just try natural for a year still.  However in the past couple weeks it was discovered that I have an endometrioma on one of my ovaries (thankfully on the same side with the blocked tube), so in for surgery I'm going in 2 weeks, they'll remove the endometrioma and all endo that is present.

I know after surgery my odds will be better, and it seems likes if I want to make them even better taking clomid is a smart thing to do as this may be our only good chance.

Anyhow I digress, any real life advice for me while I'm taking clomid?  What types of side effects should I expect?  Success stories?  Failure stories?  I've read up on it, but I'd like to hear from "real" people :).  I do chart, I have TCOYF, and we have been using pre-seed, I know clomid can decrease EWCM so I'll be ordering more pre-seed.  Any other advice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: Clomid Questions

[QUOTE]Hi!!  For anyone who has been/is or knows someone who has been on clomid I was hoping to hear your experience. I'm going to be starting it in a couple weeks, my cycles are usually 35-50 days (averaging between 35-40), so this should solve that problem.  I had originally been saying I was going to wait until the begining of the year to try any treatments as that will be a year that DH and I have been trying.  My Dr had been pushing to start them right away because of our history (long cycles, endometriosis, a blocked fallopian tube, and a vasectomy reversal-which was successful), but I really wanted to just try natural for a year still.  However in the past couple weeks it was discovered that I have an endometrioma on one of my ovaries (thankfully on the same side with the blocked tube), so in for surgery I'm going in 2 weeks, they'll remove the endometrioma and all endo that is present. I know after surgery my odds will be better, and it seems likes if I want to make them even better taking clomid is a smart thing to do as this may be our only good chance. Anyhow I digress, any real life advice for me while I'm taking clomid?  What types of side effects should I expect?  Success stories?  Failure stories?  I've read up on it, but I'd like to hear from "real" people :).  I do chart, I have TCOYF, and we have been using pre-seed, I know clomid can decrease EWCM so I'll be ordering more pre-seed.  Any other advice?
    Posted by Antimony79[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that you're getting all of the issues/obstacles worked out.  It sounds like things are under control and manageable :)

I took clomid for 3 cycles and really didn't have very many side effects even though I was warned about moodiness and that kind of thing.  One thing that I wasn't prepared for was that it didn't work the first time around...or the second time around....  In my case, the RE was very proactive and made adjustments to how much I was taking and what cycle days I took it each cycle (i.e. if one protocol didn't work, try something different next time).  The good news is that it DID work the 3rd cycle I was on it, and I am now a mother to 3 week old boy/girl twins :)

I've told my story on here so many times that I hate to keep repeating it, but I was charting the entire time we were TTC.  I have PCOS, so ovulation was a rarity for me, and some of my (anovulatory) cycles were a few months long.  The first two cycles on clomid, my chart showed that I ovulated, and the OPKs corresponded with the temp shift.  The 3rd cycle, I had a temp shift, but even though I did the OPKs for 2 weeks straight, not a single one showed a positive result, so I was discouraged and convinced that I hadn't ovulated.  When I tested around the time my period was due, I got a positive test...and then a few weeks later, at the ultrasound, found out I was having twins....  I had ovulated TWICE that cycle, and the OPKs didn't catch it.  So...my advice is to continue charting, use OPKs if you must, but don't rely on them, AND don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen on the first cycle...your doctor may need to adjust the dose and timing for it to work for you.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Daisy, I have a question for you (if you read this) - before Clomid did you also chart?  If so, did you always get a corresponding temperature shift upon ovulation (before Clomid)?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]Daisy, I have a question for you (if you read this) - before Clomid did you also chart?  If so, did you always get a corresponding temperature shift upon ovulation (before Clomid)?
    Posted by stefani2[/QUOTE]

Hi Stefani,

I did chart before clomid and that's one of the reasons that my RE suspected PCOS right away (either that or a thyroid issue).  I had charted from December through March w/o any temp shift...and no period during that time.  After he did the initial testing which showed that my thyroid was fine and that the other tests were indicative of PCOS, he had me take Provera to force a period.  I started a new chart with the Provera, and once again, went quite a while w/o a temp shift and no period.  During this time I had an HSG (injecting dye into your uterus while watching on an x-ray-like machine so that the RE can tell if there are any physical problems w/the uterus and/or fallopian tubes that would inhibit/prevent pregnancy) and a month or so later had a hysteroscopy (removal of polyps/scarring that the RE had seen on the HSG).  And after the hysteroscopy, we had to wait 6 weeks before TTC again.  During this whole time, I took Provera a few times for logistical reasons related to the testing and continued to chart.  Not once did I have a temp shift from December through when I started clomid in July. 

How are things going with you?  I think I read something you wrote on another post about not having any indications for metformin and that your doc was recommending starting clomid....  If you're hesitant about doing that w/o a specific diagnosis, the RE I went to is absolutely wonderful--Dr. Oskowitz at Boston IVF in Brookline (he might have office hours in Waltham too, but I don't know for sure).  My two cents...the clomid might work, and there's no need to get an official diagnosis of what's wrong in order for it to work, but if it doesn't work after 3 cycles, you're going to be back to square one, OR, if it does work and you decide to have more children, you may have to jump through all of the same hoops again.  There's no "right" decision other than what's right for you, but I would encourage you to pursue finding out what the underlying issue is at some point.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from plksmcz. Show plksmcz's posts

First off, good luck with your upcoming surgery. I was prescribed Clomid to regulate my cycle (back in 2003) and now have a beautiful 4.5 yr old DD. In 2005 my DH and I decided to try for a 2nd child. We conceived but miscarried. So, back on Clomid. We chose to use an ovulation prediction kit. It worked for us as we now have 20 month old twin boys. I experienced major mood swings while on Clomid. Going from euphoric to weepy over absolutely nothing. I can honestly say that I would go through that again in a heartbeat because we have such amazing children. I actually tell my friends who are having trouble conceiving to talk to their doctor about Clomid. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

Thanks for all your input!!