Coming off Pill - What to expect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Coming off Pill - What to expect?

So, my big news is that on the weekend, after 13 years, I have stopped taking the Pill (Necon).  It is exciting and scary, but DH and I have decided to take the plunge and start trying for a baby. We are thinking we will wait a month or two, just to let my body adjust/normalize and see what happens.

My question is though, what can I expect now?  In my research on stopping taking the pill I have read everything from getting pregnant the next week, taking 28 days and everything is back to 'normal, increased weight gain, substantial weight loss, moodiness and extreme PMS, extreme bloating....

Any thoughts or advice would be great. Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Coming off Pill - What to expect?

Here was my experience coming off the Pill after 12 years on it last spring. It took about 5 weeks to get my first period and my cycles regulated at about 30-32 days after the first two months. (I always had longer cycles when not on the Pill.) I didn't have any weight gain (yay) or loss (bummer). I did find I was more gassy and had more cramps when I had PMS. My periods turned out to be lighter than when I first started the Pill. More than when actually on the Pill, but nowhere near as heavy as before I started. I went off in May and got pregnant in late Dec/early January. I was 36 when I went off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats!

Well, the generic, unhelpful, albeit true response is that it's different for everyone. So, no matter what you hear your experience may be different than anyone else's.

That being said, this is what happened when I went off the pill (Ortho TriCyclen).

Lost 10 lbs without trying
    Lost intense craving for carbs (probably how I lost 10 lbs!)
    Cycle got a bit irregular (27 - 31 days)
    PMS symptoms increased (bloating, moodiness, etc)
    Non-PMS times were less moody
    Menstration time varied more (2 days - 6 days)
    My skin actually cleared up, go figure that?

Best wishes!

P.S.  You read so many varying things about pg after discontinuing simply because every woman's body responds differently.  You just can't figure it out ahead of time no matter how many stories you read.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vaseonthemantle. Show vaseonthemantle's posts

Hi Prill,
    I have been ttc for about 4 months now. I had been on the pill for about 9 years, off and on. My first month off the pill was a whirlwind. My body was doing some strange things. I experienced almost every pregnancy symptom in the book, with the exception of the actual pregnancy. It was withdrawl from the hormones, which could most definitley happen. It was as though any PMS symptom I had was magnified 10 times. Just keep that in the back of your mind. It is very possible to get pregnant in the first month of trying, but just remember that your body is going through a huge adjustment and it may take a few months to get over it. Have fun trying and best wishes!!

PS - TCOYF is a good read. It was available in my library, so I got it and just took notes, just a helpful hint if you are trying to save $ :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know people who have missed one pill by accident and got pg, so you can definitely get pg right away after stopping.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CordeliaP. Show CordeliaP's posts

Not much changed for me except that my acne got worse and worse and worse.  Since I was trying to get (and then became) pregnant, there was nothing I could take for it.  Finally after weaning baby #2  I went on Accutane for 6 months.  It cleared up and I went back on the pill.  Seven years later I switched from the pill to a non-hormonal IUD and the acne came back, not nearly as bad but still annoying, especially for someone in her midforties battling wrinkles and seeing the first gray hairs.  Good luck to you. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not much changed for me except that my acne got worse and worse and worse.  Since I was trying to get (and then became) pregnant, there was nothing I could take for it.  Finally after weaning baby #2  I went on Accutane for 6 months.  It cleared up and I went back on the pill.  Seven years later I switched from the pill to a non-hormonal IUD and the acne came back, not nearly as bad but still annoying, especially for someone in her midforties battling wrinkles and seeing the first gray hairs.  Good luck to you. 
    Posted by CordeliaP

Check out www.gardengirlskincare.com and especially at the You're Fresh face wash.  Love it.  It's expensive, but it does last a long time and works great. The tea tree oil and aloe being that far up the ingredients list makes a real difference, along with all the other stellar ingredients. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

My Dr told me to wait about 3 months before TTC when I came off the pill and I PG by month 4.  My cycles became a bit irregular but my periods were lighter than before.  The acne did show up (and even worse now that I'm pg).  Everyone's experience is different (but it may also be what kind of pill you were on), so be prepared for some changes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

So, my big news is that on the weekend, after 13 years, I have stopped taking the Pill (Necon).  It is exciting and scary, but DH and I have decided to take the plunge and start trying for a baby. We are thinking we will wait a month or two, just to let my body adjust/normalize and see what happens. My question is though, what can I expect now?  In my research on stopping taking the pill I have read everything from getting pregnant the next week, taking 28 days and everything is back to 'normal, increased weight gain, substantial weight loss, moodiness and extreme PMS, extreme bloating.... Any thoughts or advice would be great.
    Posted by Prill

Congrats on your decision!

I had a fairly easy transition going off the pill after 11 years. quickly I went back to my old routine of 28-30 days. My periods were lighter and the PMS wasn't too bad, it was just me crying when AF arrived because I wasn't pg (I was being dramatic). I didn't lose any weight, or gain any (until the BFP). It took 5 months of being off the pill before I got my BFP. Now I have a 6 month old son who is a ton of fun to hang out with. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

Sorry a little late to the game on this one but...I have been off of the Pill since April.  I have not had any weight changes, my moodiness overall has been better - I dont blow up quite so much when aggrevated.  Periods are actually less painful so far but my skin has been spotty.  The periods themselves have been all over the board, short, long, heavy and light.  We start TTC in August so not sure how long it will take, hopefully only one month - I want to try in sept but my hubby is inpatient ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cc2007. Show cc2007's posts

I was 37 when I stopped taking the pill (Yasmin) after several years.  When I saw my doctor to talk about stopping it and trying to get pregnant, she just told me to start taking Folic Acid as soon as I stopped the pill and wished me luck, saying it could happen anytime.  I got my first normal period 28 days later as if I was still on the pill but with much more pronounced PMS symptoms (cramps, bloating, etc).  After that first normal cycle, we got pregnant right away.  Given my age, I never imagined it would happen so quickly, but I was relieved to be on the folic acid already.  Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

I have a couple days left on the pill and then I'm done! I never thought I would be so excited to stop taking the pill. I've been on for about 12-13 years, I was completely obsessed with never missing a day and having it rule my life (4pm everyday I would take it). Oh how wonderful coming off is going to be...but...I just received my prescription prenatals and the instructions are bizarre.  I have to take them on an empty stomach one hour before a meal or 2-3 hours after. When am I going to find the time to take this? I eat breakfast, I constantly snack throughout the day and I'm worried that if I take it before bed, I will be getting up in the middle of the night.  I thought I was in the clear, but now I feel like this prenatal is the new 'pill.' 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

42 days and still waiting for AF to arrive.... just getting annoying now!  On the plus side, I have lost weight, but this is balanced out with the disgusting pimples that keep appearing on my nose and chin.  I can't win!

2007 - assuming you have breakfast around 7 in the morning, could you then take the vitamin about 9 or 10am? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I wouldn't worry about all those directions on the prenatal vitamins.  I have always taken mine before I go to bed.  Especially now that I am pregnant they upset my stomach and repeat.  So I make sure I take them right before I am going to go to sleep and it seems to help. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I've always taken my pre-natals right before I go to bed, too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

So none of you have to get up in the middle of the night and go the bathroom? I'm not very good with pills so I take them with like a full glass of water or oj. I guess I just need to try and see what time works for me. I have always taken my multi right after breakfast and found that to be a perfect time. But again, a lot of people say they upset the stomach so I'm not sure I want to do it in the middle of the day. Oh jeez, I guess I should just start and see what happens...

Thanks guys! As you can tell, I'm already the being an overly nervous nelly. I am already a nervous nelly, but this whole almost at the TTC stage is already making me a complete nut. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I guess you drink a full glass of water you would have to get up.  Plus when you do get pregnant you will be getting up to pee anyway!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I usually swallow the pill with one slug of water and down it goes. If I did it with a whole glass, I would be getting up, though (and I don't).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

In Response to Re: Coming off Pill - What to expect?:
    So none of you have to get up in the middle of the night and go the bathroom? I'm not very good with pills so I take them with like a full glass of water or oj. I guess I just need to try and see what time works for me. I have always taken my multi right after breakfast and found that to be a perfect time. But again, a lot of people say they upset the stomach so I'm not sure I want to do it in the middle of the day. Oh jeez, I guess I should just start and see what happens... Thanks guys! As you can tell, I'm already the being an overly nervous nelly. I am already a nervous nelly, but this whole almost at the TTC stage is already making me a complete nut. :)
    Posted by 2007wedding

Ah, you'll get used to getting up in the middle of the night. Once you're pregnant sleeping through the night ends, for a very long time. Its practice for when the bambino arrives. :)

Try to take it mid morning and you should be all set.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

2007 - I take a OTC prenatal but I take mine right after breakfast and with no problem.  I tried taking it at night but it gave me problems the next morning. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Seven years later I switched from the pill to a non-hormonal IUD and the acne came back, not nearly as bad but still annoying, especially for someone in her midforties battling wrinkles and seeing the first gray hairs.  Good luck to you. 
    Posted by CordeliaP

OT - But I am so jealous that you are in your mid-forties and getting your first gray hairs.  I've been battling them since my early 20s!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

So I took my first prenatal last night..and I was up at 4am going to the bathroom, of course. HA! I do have to say I have a terrible almost like heartburn feeling this morning, I'm sure I'll get used to this after taste. I do think I like taking them at night, when I woke up at 4am my stomach was a little upset, but I was able to just go back to sleep. Not sure how I would be in the afternoon or AM with this. Thanks for all the advice!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I have exactly 5 pills left and then I'm done!  We're planning to TTC in 4 or 5 months, so I figure I'll get the hormones out of my system now.  I'm a little worried about these side effects.  Acne?  Weight gain? I don't need that!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I have exactly 5 pills left and then I'm done!  We're planning to TTC in 4 or 5 months, so I figure I'll get the hormones out of my system now.  I'm a little worried about these side effects.  Acne?  Weight gain? I don't need that!
    Posted by Brighton1

I just went off last week!  Same anniversary and same timeframe!  We decided we're going to just see if anything happens between now and Thanksgiving and if it doesn't, then we'll actually start "trying".  So strange to be in to this next chapter, but really exciting!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I'm now 60 days since coming off the pill and still no sign of my period.. have taken home pregnancy tests, all negative.  This is soooo damn frustrating.  Last night I also noticed that I am getting hairs growing on my upper lip - this has never happened before, so I wonder if it is due to a hormonal change.

Sections
Shortcuts