December 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

December 2012 TTC

Not in the market to conceive unfortunately, but wanted to start this post for others.

In the realm of TMI, thanks to modern technology involved in her conception, I can say three years ago today I conceived my daughter. She's the best thing that could ever even possibly happen to me, I feel like every breath I take is a prayer of thanksgiving for her. She has healed many, many of those ugly TTC wounds and I wish the same for all of you.

Just wanted to past the positive energy on today. Love and best wishes to you all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from frank0807. Show frank0807's posts

Re: December 2012 TTC

Happy December! I am almost done with the 2WW. Since this is only our second month of trying, I am trying not to get my hopes up. The waiting is killing me...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

According to my RE doc, insurance will either let us start soon on the hormones (once they test us individually to make sure everything works) or I have us wait a year. They think insurance might cover to PGD but not the IVF which is half the point of doing what we're doing. We really don't want to pay out of pocket but it's still a little annoying hearing we may have to wait. I think DH is more annoyed at this possibility than I am but still. I have to go back to the RE doc next month after I meet with geneticist.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Had a negative pg test this morning, which means whenever I finally do get my period, I'll be on my first step to IUI. Insurance cleared us, at least, so I can be grateful for that. I am reminding myself that the good thing about the negative test is that I can drink through the holidays, so there's that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thanks ml. That was nice to read.

Welcome frank!

NL- I don't remember your exact situation but I can imagine the frustration. 

KMMZ-  I hope when you move to the next step you get quick success!

I can't recall if I updated here or not, but we've decided to TTC naturally for the time being.  The IVF with PGD is no guarantee of a success and at least if I go into a pregnancy prepared that I might m/c I think I can deal with it.  So that's the plan for now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

(Disclaimer: if I'm missing abbreviations, I apologize. Not too familiar yet...) I've been lurking the past few months, but I think I'm ready to start asking for guidance. We're heading into month 8 of TTC, not long enough to be too frustrated but starting to get just a little anxious/worried. I talked to my OB/GYN around month 6, and started the OPK which never came up positive. I did have my blood tested for progesterone levels, which came back high enough indicating that I had indeed ovulated. She said keep at it. She's lovely, and I'm confortable keeping her as my OB/GYN, but I didn't want to ask too many questions too soon. My DH and I can mentally "wait it out", but what's the next step from here? Test him? HSG? How does the OPK compare to basal temp? Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

King, may I ask how old you are?  That makes a difference only because at 35+, doctor's will start testing at 6 months whereas under 35, usually you need a full year of unsuccessful TTC.  If you are 35+, I'd ask your doctor for a referral to an RE (as sometimes it takes a few months to get an appointment), and most likely the first step will be an HSG (since you are getting regular periods (are you?) and they tested progesterone, likely you are ovulating). You may also get more blood testing on day 3, to check your FSH levels (that's if you got any, or got any good eggs... the lower the number the better). That's probably a fair start in the very beginning. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Hi kinga-  I'm not sure what you mean by how does OPK compare to basal temp? I can answer lots of temping questions and I do both!  Keep in mind OPK is a secondary tool to temping. Your body can have the lutenizing hormone surge, but not ovulate. I know not everyone on here is pro-temping but I really am a fan because it shows you the thermal shift and you can 'see' the O.

I've done all the tests but I would say a SA for DH is one of the easier steps.  My DH did his and it was nice to know that he was 'good to go'.

Let me know if you want specifics on anything!

Also, it took me 9 months to get my first + pregnancy test.  (5 of those 'really trying', in the beginning, I wasn't temping/using OPKs, etc.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd be a fan of seeing proof of ovulation, for sure, but temping didn't work for me.  I followed all the rules to a T and still my temps were all over the place day to day.  I did it three months under essentially perfect conditions and got nada.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Thank you both! I'll be 33 in March, which is why we're not too worried yet, and since being off BC I've been regular +/- a few days each month. I had excruciating abdominal cramping in the beginning, and I have a family history of ovarian cancer, so my OB/GYN sent me for an ultrasound and incidentally they saw follicular cysts. I'm thinking this may lead me to a therapeutic HSG, and being on the giving end of those (as an RT a few years back) I'm absolutely dreading it. 

I was annoyed about never getting a positive OPK...did I test at the right time? should I have tested morning and night? Was the pink line really the same color? My DH and I promised each other that we wouldn't let this consume us since we're still young and have no reason to believe at this point that anything is "wrong", but we also want more than one and we're only getting older. Since I ditched the sticks, I wanted to start trying the temping and see if that was a little more accurate. Do you temp just once the same time every morning?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

For the OPKs, most people have their best shot at seeing their surge if they test between 2-6 pm (give or take), but some people find they need to test multiple times a day to "catch" it.  For me, I could get it consistently if I tested at around 6 pm when I got home from work, after at least a 2-3 hour hold (without drinking anything in between).  

For temping, you need to get a special basal body thermometer (more accurate than a fever thermometer).  They sell them at any drugstore.  I liked fertilityfriend.com for charting.  It's free and they have an iphone app which I used.  Since I keep my phone by my bed it allowed me to record my temperature right away without getting up.  It does the interpretation work for you mostly and produces pretty charts.  It also has a ton of information and tutorials on charting and how it works.

I liked using both OPKs and temping and felt that with both pieces I could get a pretty clear picture of what was going on most months.  But even though they worked for me most of the time, there were a couple months where the temping was a mess or OPKs never turned positive... It happens, so I would recommend sticking it out for a few months before giving up.  (Unless it is making you completely stressed and crazy, in which case ditch it and try an every other day BD schedule--that's statistically just about as good.)

My OB/GYN said that she would begin to get the wheels turning on an infertility workup for me after 9 moths TTC, but many docs like to wait the full 12 months.  (I'm also under 35).  I think she figured it would take a few months to do the whole workup, refer to an RE if necessary, and come up with a protocol, so she wasn't pushing interventions before the 12 month mark--just a basic workup.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kinga, I'm sorry to hear about your difficult time. I didn't get a +OPK the month I got pregnant, so I tend to have little faith in them. My RE said to give my remaining sticks to someone I hate because they can just drive you crazy. I was temping too but I think that made me more crazy than the OPK's did. 

As far as the fertility testing, I would start with the easy things and then move up to the more difficult ones, saving the HSG for last. Has your thyroid been tested? That's just an easy blood test. I would also see if they could do your DH's SA before getting the HSG. It's not the worst thing in the world, but if there are easier things you can do, I'd ask to schedule those things first. You can also do some more ultrasounds to see if the cysts they found are PCOS. I don't think that having cysts necessarily means you need an HSG, but I do think a lot of REs include them in their standard workup. 

If they've proved that you are ovulating but you're not catching it, I wonder if you're either ovulating early or late and you're just not catching it. How many days were you using the OPK's? You've probably heard this already, but I wouldn't let the OPKs (or your temp chart for that matter) absolutely dictate when you have sex. 

For temping, I set my alarm to the earliest I ever had to get up, took my temp in the dark, and then fell back asleep and recorded the temp once I really woke up. I perfered the charts on TCOYF.com, but they don't have an app so it was a little more difficult. I'm also a mouth breather and I think that through some of my temps off. You can also temp vaginally but I never went through with that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Sorry for the BFN, KMZ. 

MW, I hope you get lucky with a viable genetic makeup!

Northern, I hope your doctor lets youstart soon. A year??? Why a year?

Kinga, if I were you I would press your doc a little harder (disclaimer: I have also turned into a bit of a crazy person from TTC :) You're not 35 yet, but you're a few years away and you just never know. It could be harder for you; but it may not. I'd want some diagnostic testing just to know what the hormone levels are. 

I go in for a u/s tomorrow to see if I responded to the 100 mg of clomid this time. I'm hoping for some ginormous follicles.

Also! I quit my job and I'm starting my own business. I'm excited and terrified. I need to learn how to do marketing....and if anyone wants a discounted massage in Watertown, let me know. :) I'm a licensed massage therapist also certified in pre-natal. I work mostly with chronic pain issues but also do relaxation, deep tissue, etc. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--GL with your u/s tomorrow AND with starting your business!  That's so exciitng! Watertown isn't too far from me.  I think boston.com has a private messaging feature now, so if you PM your info, I will try to book a massage with you this winter. (Hopefully a prenatal one if things keep trucking here the way they are supposed to.) (And it won't be this month probably because I need to get out of the first trimester first for my sanity and cash is tight anyway from the holidays... :). )

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Kinga, I'll reiterate that the OPKs work best if you can start way earlier than you think (like when your period ends), and keep going until you get your period. It can be pricey, but I used the digital kits when I was using OPKs, because my doctor wanted me to use progesterone suppositories for the second half of my cycle (I had multiple miscarriages). I found that I got a positive OPK on wildly different days each cycle, even though my cycle only varied a few days.

Congrats WPP on starting out on your own! Good luck! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

In response to WhirledPeasPlease's comment:

Northern, I hope your doctor lets you start soon. A year??? Why a year?

They may need proof of having trouble TTC before letting me to IVF and since I'm still under 35, I have to "try" for a year. It's the insurance who's the problem, not my doctor. She's trying to make sure we don't have a ginormous bill to pay and can get insurance to pay for everything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

NL, how long have you been TTC? Can you fudge the year? Not that you should commit insurance fraud at all, but if you were trying, then you sought the advice of your PCP, who referred you to an RE, all of that time should count. I can't believe they'd make you wait a whole year after all that. My RE used the month I came off BCP as the start of the countdown, which made things a lot easier. By the time I was to the point of getting actual treatment, the year had already gone by. I hope that they can get this figured out faster for you. Insurance can be such a pain!

WPP - Congrats on the new business! I wish I lived closer to Watertown! I'd be your best customer. Good luck tomorrow with your ultrasound! I hope you have lots of beautiful follicles!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Chiclet-we aren't have trouble (although neither one of has been test yet to see that everything works). I posted this last month but we're doing IVF with PGD because I've got some genetic stuff I am trying to avoid giving to our children. I got lucky with my strain but I know a few people who have what I have and are worse off so I'm trying to avoid this. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but we're doing what we can since insurance covers this kind of stuff.  We haven't even tried because I didn't want to get pregnant and then have to do genetic testing afterwards. I've been off BC for over 2 yrs so I was hoping we could fudge and count that time but I don't know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks for the support! Siena, I tried to PM you but it says that your profile is private so it wouldn't let me?

Northern, it sounds like you could fudge the time. Being off BC for that long must count for something. Also, do some research (if you haven't already) because MA is one of 15 states with mandatory infertility treatment, so you may be able to grease the insurance companies a bit with that info. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Good to know, thanks Whirled!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

NL--I'm sorry for the runaround you are getting. As far as I understand, the MA law on fertility coverage does not apply to employers that self-insure (which would be most large employers--they hire outside insurance companies to manage their claims/benefits but actually accept the financial risk themselves).  Some of these employers will voluntarily offer fertility coverage (like both my & DH's employers) but they don't have to legally.  

Anyway, seems like the issue is more about how to code the diagnoses to make sure coverage is accepted, as opposed to the presence of coverage for IVF.  Sounds like the RE thinks the insurance covers IVF only for infertility diagnoses and not for genetic disorders.  This would be worth clarifying!  It seems like a ridiculous rule to me, but insurance companies have done crazier things... And the law in MA looks like it only mandates fertility coverage if the couple has been trying for a year if you read the law:

http://www.resolve.org/family-building-options/insurance_coverage/state-coverage.html#Massachusetts

ETA: WPP: I tried making my profile public, so you can see if that works now!  I've never used this PM feature, but I hope it works.  It seems like a great idea! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

NL, I'm sorry, I forgot about the genetic things. Siena is right though, it doesn't hurt you to look into it further. The RE's office probably has an insurance expert, but you can definitely call your insurance company to find out further. I would hate for them to push you off for a whole year if the diagnosis is a genetic disorder. Fingers crossed for you that your insurance company gives you a good answer!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I had my u/s yesterday and I'm not really sure how it went. It was CD10 and my two biggest follicles are 10 mm and 13 mm. I'm going back on Monday. They want at least 18 mm. Is that even possible? I'm guessing on Monday they'll tell me to come back Thursday. Is it normal for follicles to be this small CD10? 

Northern, it sounds like Siena has way more insurance info than I do! I hope your company has a policy that helps you out.

Siena, I PMed you!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, the graph on the top of page 3 answers your questions.  As always, best wishes!

http://www.eshre.eu/01/MyDocuments/Vlaisavljevic1.pdf

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks, Kar! That graph makes me feel a little better too. 

Sections
Shortcuts