December TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: December TTC

MissWolfe - The OPKs are just like pregnancy tests - some you POAS and some you dip.  No special reason why you have to dip the OPK, as far as I know.  It just depends on which brand you choose.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's true, but the OPK strips that are dip-only (the ones you cannot pee on) are super duper cheap, something like $11 for 50 on Amazon.  Since you use at least 5 per month, it's cost effective to get the cheapo dip-only ones.

vs

This POAS version, FR 20 pack for $40.

The dip-only ones are 10 times cheaper!  That's reason enough for me to pee in a cup, but to each her own.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I got the same cheapy ones, Kar :o)  I just didn't want her to think it was a feature of OPKs that you HAVE to pee in a cup since some people find that gross.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, that's a good point, but I wouldn't spend $2 test when I could spend 20 cents no matter how grossed out I might be!  I guess one's perspective changes after TTC for 3 years - things that are too gross at first don't seem so bad after awhile if it will save you $$$, lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Kar, I'm actually just looking to see if I am O'ing.  I pretty much keep my bases covered and BD every other day starting day 8 through 15-16 or so.  I figure with a 27/28 day cycle, I'm not O'ing much later than that.  Oddly enough, my bizarre 46 day cycle off the mini-pill I had some really good EWCM.  And haven't really seen it since.  So just for my peace of mind I want to know I'm O'ing, and the temp really helped me with that last time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, figured you probably knew that stuff, but thought it a good way to get that info out there for any newbies even if the ones I can think of right now have already gotten pregnant!

AFM, all this talk about OPKs inspired me, not sure why.  But, it's Day 17, and I just got a positive out of the blue.  Very late, but, then again, like I said at the beginning of the Dec thread, my cycles are lengthening.  Maybe I should temp, too, to see if the LH surge means anything for me these days!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi all - coming out of lurk-dom for a moment...

I'm not *technically* TTC at the moment, but when my bcp pack ran out last month I didn't "have time" to get another one, so told DH I'd just wait and get it after my next AF.  Was it wrong that I was secretly hoping to get pg and kept just telling him "don't worry about it, honey"??  (he's on board with #2, just would rather wait until we're more settled).

AF just arrived so I'm not pg, and it's probably a good thing since we don't have a house (living with in-laws) and I spend about 2.5-3 hours in the car every day commuting to and from work (and I do often think I'd be in trouble if I had to do that while pg, between the constant peeing and the bone-crushing exhaustion), but still... there was a bit of disappointment.  And I'll be picking up my new bcp pack at the end of the week.

Best wishes to everyone for a little holiday magic this December!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thanks everyone for your informative OPK info. I'm ok with peeing in a cup, I was just curious if there was a 'why'. I watched some You Tube instructions over the weekend, and I see now why you have to dip, so that makes sense to me. Gotta love the internet.

I hit up Amazon.com too so I have some en route!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

GL; you can't beat 50 for under $10.  I found them to be very easy to interpret after a couple of months.  I learned that my positive test line was a lot darker than it had been but was never quite as dark as the control line like the directions said it should be to indicate a positive result.  But, the day it was as dark as it ever got was my positive LH surge day.  In fact, this is my positive right here.  As you can see the lines are not exactly equal - the test line is lighter.  BUT, I learned from the fact that I always got my period 15 days after it looked exactly like this that this is how my positive result looks:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Cici--I'm sorry for your loss of your father, and the chemical pregnancy.  Wishing you the best.

I'm in the 2ww, I guess.  Wondering and waiting. It's funny how much mental space not knowing can take up.  At my lowest moments, I almost feel like I'd rather stop trying than deal with the uncertainty. Then I remember that I do want a baby, and this not knowing is an inherent part of the route to it. Combined with the lingering feeling since my mc that this isn't where I am supposed to be right now, it's a tougher road than I had anticipated. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Siena, you can simultaneously really want a baby and not be quite ready to try to conceive post-m/c.  Maybe consider taking a couple of months to just enjoy being intimate without worrying or focusing getting pg, per se.  Give yourself the time you need; it's different for everyone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Siena, the feelings of loss about the m/c are completely normal.  I had one and got pregnant about a month later, but throughout most of the pregnancy, would think about where I would have been...it was especially hard around the due date of my miscarried pregnancy. 

This whole TTC thing is a lot harder emotionally than we ever were prepared for (at least for me).  The disappointment when you get AF, then gearing up again to start a new month.  It's tough.  And I think it's tougher on the woman, since the men don't have the biological reminders that it didn't happen for another month.  At least for my husband, even with pregnancy, it was sort of a netherworld to him until he could see ultrasounds and feel kicks, where for me, it was real for all of those months beforehand too, when I was taking prenatals, cutting out caffeine, all of those things we do to prep our bodies for the possibility of it. 

Hang in there!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Speaking of taking prenatals or vitamins in general, I am having a hard time taking any vitamins.  I've never really taken them but I know how important folic acid is even beforehand so I tried taking Women's One a a Day.  They make me so sick I just couldn't do it, so I've actually started taking the kids Flintstone vitamins.  I compared them to the One a Day and looks like it has the same quantities of almost all the vitamins with the exception of calcium.  I'm hoping this is ok for now since we're not even actively TTC quite yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

SS - One thing that I noticed with prenatals is that I can only take them after lunch. I thought it was because I didn't have enough in my stomach after breakfast, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can have a really filling breakfast with plenty of carbs and protein and, if I take my vitamin afterwards, I'm going to get nauseous. Found that out the hard way a couple of times. If I wait until after lunch, I can take it with no problems, regardless of the size lunch I have. I don't know what happens after lunch that makes it work for me. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Siena, Thank you. I'm so sorry about your mc and the tough time you are having. I think it's definitely normal to feel the way you do. I am hoping for the best for you.

SS, when I saw my doctor and thought I was pg, she said that getting at least 400 mcg of folic acid and supplementing with lots of fruits and veggies is sufficient although recommends a prenatal. I also had a really hard time with taking my vitamins at first. Now I take them right before bed so I can sleep through the nausea.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I also take my prenatal right before bed so that I sleep through the nausea.  Also, during the first trimester I switched to a gummy prenatal that I found at Target.  Perhaps you could try those for now?  I'm switching back to a normal prenatal this week once I finish the bottle but it was great for the first tri and I would recommend it if swallowing pills is difficult for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thank you ladies for your kind wishes and support.  I think this is where I need to be right now kar, though waiting has its virtues too, and I do appreciate hearing your insight.  I don't mean to be a negative presence on this board.  It is just one of the few spaces where I can vent these feelings occasionally, without burdening the people I talk to IRL. ha. :)

Like cici, I also take my prenatal before bed so that I sleep through any nausea.  Another thing that might help is that you could split your pill and take each half at different times of day.  Of course this could make things worse--suffer the side effect now twice.  BUt it might also reduce the side effect because you are not trying to digest the whole thing at once.  THey sell pill splitters at pharmacies.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: December TTC:
    I also take my prenatal right before bed so that I sleep through the nausea.  Also, during the first trimester I switched to a gummy prenatal that I found at Target.  Perhaps you could try those for now?  I'm switching back to a normal prenatal this week once I finish the bottle but it was great for the first tri and I would recommend it if swallowing pills is difficult for you.
    Posted by clc51510

clc, were they VitaFusion gummies? I am thinking of picking a bottle up. My nausea has become almost 24/7 now. And, smells...anything that smells remotely gross to me, makes me gag. My DH has to feed the dog now because his dog food makes me so sick!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: December TTC:
    In Response to Re: December TTC : clc, were they VitaFusion gummies? I am thinking of picking a bottle up. Posted by lizinboston

I'll let you know when I get home, I take my last two tonight (the service size is 2 a day, which makes the bottle of 90 you buy only last 45 days which I didn't realize until I got home but oh well).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

FYI: the gummies don't always contain iron. If you're already somewhat anemic, that could be a problem when switching.

They make all sorts of gummy supplements, for kids and adults. Target carries VitaFusion and their own generic Up & Up Brand. The Up & Up adult multi has 400 mcg of folic acid per 2 gummies.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks ladies for the tips!  I'm def going to try taking them later in the day or at night to see if that works.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

siena, you're not a "negative presence" in the slightest.  All our experiences make the boards truer and richer, and where you are is where you are, not positive or negative imo.  Anyway, if you are really ready, go for it!  We're here for you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Very random question.  Does anyone have very short periods?  On the pill (most of my adult life), I had 4-5 day periods.  Off during TTC #1 (8-9 mths), probably the same.  On mini-pill after DS, they went to about 3 days (yes, I did get them every month on mini-pill).  Now, off everything and TTC #2, my last 3 periods have been 1 heavy day and one light day... and that's it.  2 days seems so short.  If I was in my 20s and not TTC, I'd be over the moon.  I goggled (I know... bad IPW), and didn't really find a ton of info if short periods may be related to aging or fertility.  Just curious as I go into month 5 of TTC #2 and am 37.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

IPW I'm glad you asked that question.  I was wondering the same thing.  The only time I can remember being off the bcp before this I was a few months when I was 25 and had 5 day periods which is pretty much what I got when on bcp.  Now I'm 30 and I've notice the periods I've had off bcp have only been 3 days and I'm worried that might not be normal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Liz - I had the Up & Up (Target brand) of gummy vitamins.  RFBF is right though mine didn't contain any iron.  I went yesterday to Stop & Shop and they had prenatal vitamins that were Buy 1 Get 1.  Woohoo! If you're about to run out it's worth stopping in this week.

Sections
Shortcuts