December TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Re: December TTC

Luv... I totally resonate with that feeling of sadness at my first OB appt when I had to actually write down that this was my second pg.  It was weird and caught me off gaurd.  Our mc was at 6 weeks and I had mistaken some implantation bleeding for my period so I was not aware I was pg until the mc.  Only DH knew about it when it happened and I shared with 2 close friends afterwards because I needed people to talk to.  DH was weird about the whole thing, really didn't acknowlege that first pregnancy at all.  I was saddened by the mc, but was never particularly invested in it due to only getting the bfp after the mc bleeding had started ... but still monthes later while filling out paper work and having to acknowledge that it had happened was an unexpected stress. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I relate to that, too, having to fill out new doctor's forms:  # pregnancies: 1, # children 0.  It doesn't really bother me day to day, but somehow the 1 and the 0 do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

I agree and totally relate to the lingering thoughts about a miscarriage. Mine was confirmed as m/c exactly a year ago today and even though I was only 6 weeks, it was a hard loss to take. My siblings and a few close friends knew but it was a struggle to hold it together for the holidays with DH's family. I'm incredibly grateful now to be expecting a baby soon but I do think of the one I lost- and I'm thankful to have had the support of the few friends who knew and those on this board who let me know I wasn't alone. 

Here's hoping the new year brings a whole new batch of BFPs  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hey everyone! After about a year, DH and I have decided to get back on the TTC train. I have a couple months of classes left and last time I went off BC that was about how long it took for my period to return. I've been following you guys for a little while and cheering the BFPs that have come around. Here's to an exciting new year! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome back, WPP!!!  You know, if you're counting on it taking a few months that's when you'll get pregnant immediately, lol. ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Lol Kar, I was thinking about that. I guess we'll see what happens. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Welcome back, WPP.  Best of luck through your TTC process.  How are you liking school? It must be nice to be almost done!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thank, clc! I was so excited when I saw your BFP. I feel like I know all of you guys, lol. I was on the couch with DH reading the boards and accidentally said aloud, "Clc got a BFP!" and DH just stared at me because those words obviously mean nothing to him. :) I'm really enjoying school. It's terrifying/exciting to be graduating in March; it's going by really fast!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Isn't it?!  It seems like "just yesterday" that you left us to start school...wild!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, WPP. It is a little weird how we know so much about each other but haven't actually met.  My DH finds it very strange but I get so much valuable information and support from these boards that I couldn't imagine doing this without them (well without all of you).  My friends were actually asking me how I knew so much about the whole TTC process. I've gone on and on about these boards, first the wedding boards and now the baby boards, that they've heard all about them but none of them are at the stage where they could quite benefit from them yet. Someday...

Kar, I was thinking the same thing.  If it's blown by for us I can only imagine how you feel, WPP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

All single friends, clc?  I'm thankful we have this community, too, and that you're a part of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I have several friends in serious relationships but none that are engaged yet.  Unfortunately, the wedding boards aren't what they were when I was wedding planning which is too bad.  Who knows, maybe they'll come back!

And right back at you, Kar!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Another chiming in for how great this community has been for me, from when I was planning my wedding, through all of the last several years.

AFM, I am playing the waiting game once again.  Since I tend to have 30-35 day cycles, I still have a few days to go until I'd be late.    Not going to test for another week, because I want to get through Christmas, but of course have already done the obsessive things like correlate symptoms to pregnancy (or maybe even the reverse) and have looked up what the due date would be if I am PG.  Then in the next moment, I'm flipping out even at the possibility of a BFP, since DD is only 14 months.  I forgot how not fun this ride can be!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Welcome back WPP! I think I was considering TTC around the same time that you were originally, but it got put on the back burner until recently. It also took me quite a few months to get straightened out after the pill and it was really frustrating. I hope you have an easier time coming off it. Good luck!!!

RI - I'm crossing my fingers for a very special Christmas present for you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Good luck in the waiting game luv.  Hopefully you'll get a new year's BFP! 

I am officially pre-TTC I guess.  Talked to my doctor and am on prenatal vitamins and stopped taking the bc pill last week.  Per doctors orders, I have to be on the vitamins and off the pill for 3 months prior to conceiving, so I guess I'm in the preparation stage.  DD is 17 months and sometimes I wonder if we are crazy to do this again so soon.  But then I think that best case scenario would put them 2.5 years apart and a lot of people have done that age difference.  Oh well, I guess there never is a perfect time - just have to leap in and pray for the best! 

Good luck to everyone in the TTC stage!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Welcome WPP and ALS!  Best wishes to the two of you.

Yes, I like this community quite a bit too--you ladies are great!  I know I am newish to these boards, but I used to be active on the wedding boards.  I changed my sn because I had posted identifiable info on the wedding boards, and I wanted to keep my ttc info anonymous.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

ALS, do you know why your doc wants you to wait 3 months after the pill? Is it something specific to your circumstances, or par for the TTC course? I feel like I should know this stuff! Cici, I guess we're on a similar life-arc timeline. :) I think we were on the wedding boards at the same time too?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

ALS... I'm curious too.  WPP, I've had several friends and a cousin who got PG the very first month of BCP and their pregnancies (and now babies) are just fine.  I'm guessing its so you can regulate your cycles a bit... but that's just for counting.  The pill leaves your system quite quickly, so there wouldn't be any side effects from the pill on the potential new embryo 14-20 days later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, I don't think it's post-pill, per se, it's to be on prenatal vitamins for 3 months so the levels of folate are where they should be when you conceive.  The problems it prevents occur immediately after conception before you even know you're pg so it's important to start them early and stay on them.

People get pregnant if they MISS ONE PILL by accident.  You certainly can get pregnant before 3 months of being off bc.

Welcome ALS!  Have no doubt; there's no such thing as "pre-TTC" if you are having unprotected sex no matter how long you've been off BC or when you started vitamins.  You could get pg immediately!  Best wishes!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I also think that these boards are awesome... but I try not to rave to too many other people I know... I like the confidentiality of them!! For example, I am so happy to share that we got a BFP this week... but am obviously not telling others yet :) 

Kar it is true about the folate, but some women's vitamins (particularly the women's brands that have a separate product for older women) do have the folate, just for those circumstances. 

congrats CLC!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Winter, I missed your great news!  Love that we can share here without really spilling the beans.

Yes, I think docs err on the side of caution with the folate.  Many women don't take any vitamins at all and wouldn't until they found out they were pregnant unless the doc said to start 3 months ahead.

I have to admit, I'm not that great about it, but I don't expect to get pg at this point, anyway.  I had an early m/c 3 years ago and nothing since.  I'm 2 weeks from my 40th, and we're not doing anything to boost our chances (~5% each month), well, aside from the obvious.  I suppose I should be taking the vitamins just in case, anyway, though.  When you think your ship has sailed is when you get surprised...or so I hear...all the time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congratulations Winter and welcome WPP and ALS!

Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah! I've really enjoyed getting to know you all. I'm looking forward to all of the BFPs that 2012 will bring.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Congrats Winter! :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Great news Winter!  Congrats!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congrats Winter!

WPP--while I can't speak for ALS's doc, my PCP recommended 4 cycles not on BCP before TTC. I pressed her on this, and she basically said that there is no evidence that waiting improves pregnancy outcomes, but that she felt that the hormones (which are stored in body fat) could potentially take a long time to fully clear your system.  The rec wasn't linked to prenatal vitamins or folic acid, because I told her I wanted to TTC in several months, so I could have started prenatals at that point without stopping BCPs.

However, I switched PCPs and the new one did not give the same recommendation. (She suggested just waiting one cycle to ease dating; said the rec of a longer waiting period was outdated advice.)

I have found that advice on these things can vary wildly because data is limited, so recommendations are based on personal experience, informed guesses about how the body works, and habit.  I bumped up against the same thing after my mc, when my OB asked me to wait 1 cycle before TTC.  Again I asked her why, and she explained that there was no evidence that it was better, but that it would make dating easier and might allow the uterine lining time to repair.  Other docs routinely recommend waiting 0, or 2, 3 or more cycles before TTC after a mc.  

The mayo clinic covers these questions here:

Sections
Shortcuts