Do I have to?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Do I have to?

Kar, I didn't mean to sound harsh.  Hope you didn't take offense.  It's just that I go back and forth week to week on wanting kids.  Basically, if I could stop TTC time for 6 months so that we could move, I could get hired and somewhat settled in a new job, I'd be a happy camper.  I'm also antsy b/c most of the jobs I'm applying for require a security clearance and no one can be really specific on how long it takes to get that [it can be anywhere from a few weeks to 6 months]. 

You know that they say!  If wishes were fishes......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, you did not sound harsh, but I realized I spoke when I really didn't know what I was talking about.  It happens sometimes. ;)

I have a TS clearance - I guess it's OK to say so here since we're anon, right?  You aren't supposed to tell...  Anyway, mine will expire in 2 months, though, a year after having left my job.  I believe that they are coming in faster now than in the past...you'll probably get it in 4 - 6 months.  You used to have to wait about 2 years to get a secret.

P.S.  S or TS?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, Kar. It depends on which job - some require TS but others just require S.  I think there may be a super TS out there [for DARPA or some similar agency] but I wouldn't be working for them anway, so hopefully it will be 6 months at the longest.  My big question is can you start before you have full clearance?  Bush passed some resolution speeding up background checks for military spouses, but I don't want to reveal that I am one until I've been offered a job.  Then I can helpfully say 'oh, btw, my DH is military, so apparently there is some expedited background check that you can do, so I can start next Monday if that works for you'.  lol. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't speak for your type of work, but I do know that I got a "limited" clearance before my full Secret came through (didn't get TS 'til WAY into my career).  So, I could have access to some things, but not others.  Also, in my work, there were unclassifed portions of the job that were suitable for newer people (up to a year) to work on outside of the "Closed Area."  Keeping the uncleared folks busy was a full time job in and of itself.

Hopefully, you'll get that expedited process!  And, if so, I wonder how "expedited" it will really be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hopefully, I'll find out soon.  They all require that I take a polygraph too.  I'm so boring that I'm sure I'll be the fastest person they ever processed.  The only thing I've ever smoked was an unfiltered Camel cigarette and that was for about 1/2 a puff before I started coughing up a lung.  lol.  I was such a goody two shoes when I was a teenager and young adult.  Who am I kidding; I still am, though I can swear like a longshoreman when I'm driving.  Sealed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

So being a goody two shoes will finally pay off.  Not working outside your home since you moved to Maine also uncomplicates things for a speedy background check.  Not to mention that when the Feds start interviewing and snooping around, it can affect the warmth of any previous employer in recommendations, since the Feds never say why they are checking (lots of people do not believe, just checking for a job, just routine.)
         Do you have a specific interest in the work, or is it simply a good federal job for a lawyer in DC  that is a draw by itself?  Your skills certainly are transferable to lots of things.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hey Wag,

My previous employer knows that I am interested in a federal job [well, at least 2 of the references that I will use are and 2 are partners].  Actually, I have always wanted to move to DC and work for this particular agency, but never had the guts to just up and do it.  Now, I will have the opportunity.  And about 3 of the jobs I've applied for are total dream jobs [if I could create my own job description, these would be it].  I also found out I can waive into the DC bar, so I could conceivably get a job in the private sector, but the federal gov't appeals to me more.  My entire immediate family works for the government [all but 1 sister work for the feds; the sister works for a municipality].   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Actually, when I said previous employer, I was thinking, if you had taken a job after moving, you would have been there a short time by now, they might not be pleased.  I assumed a good relationship with the old job you left.
         A first cousin of mine has been interested in a couple of federal jobs, but was too recently out of law school and her FI from his to want to move.  They live cheap, cheap - in an inherited former cottage.  They want to be debt free of college loans before moving to an expensive area like Boston.  She is working for a small firm that is house counsel, I think it is called, for a national company, and got stuck with working on a suit against the feds in her area of expertise.   Long term, she is doing well, learning a lot.  Short term, she was called by a mentor of sorts about a Federal job that has not had qualified applicants.  But having done a couple years work toward this litigation, she cannot ethically jump ship to the opposing side, with her knowledge of inside info. When it is finished this year she will need a resting period of no cases against the agency she wants to work for, so she is planning to leave where she is and do unrelated pro-bono work when the case winds up.  She says it eliminates the potential conflicts of interest.
         I guess when I posted to you, I was thinking, not working a short while in your field, you will have no problem picking up stakes and moving, no pending work a company would be upset you were abandoning.  For your clearance, a nice cold job with great references is a good leaving off place.  Makes the process faster.
         There are many excellent Federal opportunities, I wish you luck.  The timing, well,  see what happens naturally.  1 year either way is not a deal breaker for a baby.  You would have an issue with waiting 3-5 years, but 1?
         I am happy everything is falling into place for you and DH.  A certain future gives a lot of peace of mind.  I'd say I would cross my fingers for you, but I would have a heck of a time quilting that way!  SBNy