February TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Re: February TTC

good way to put it Kar :o)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Good luck to you tc!  I hope this cycle works for you! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

I agree that the HR recommendations for exercise are very outdated. My OB told me abs can increase the risk for diastasis recti (separation of the midline abdominal muscle) and that was enough for me to steer clear of abs after early second trimester.  I still golfed, body pumped, turbo kicked and zumba'd throughout about 8 months.  The bladder and braxton hicks contractions ended up stopping me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Bostongrl, I'm really sorry to hear that. But glad you can hop right back on the TTC train in short order! You've got a great attitude.

Like others, I've heard that it's great to maintain your exercise routine through pregnancy. Though I'll admit that when I see a heavily pregnant woman chugging along the Charles, I cringe - but maybe that's because I have a tendency to trip and fall when I run! I think I'd probably limit my runs to the safer confines of a treadmill (though I've fallen off one of those, too...hmm, maybe I'd need to take up water aerobics!).

I have a related, though weird, question. I'm getting ready to start round 1 of Clomid. If all goes according to plan, the big O - and hopefully conception - would happen a day or two before a planned family skiiing day. I'm dying to ski - but thinking I should play it safe and try not to jostle any potential embryo! Does that sound crazy, or sensible? ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your baby's cells wouldn't even be implanted in the uterous yet nor would you even have a BFP, but those cells would be completely insulated and safe from jostling.  I understand you're super anxious to have a baby and want to be sure to not do anything to threaten it, but that particular concern is a bit on the insane side, yeah. ;)  Seriously, though, if you feel strongly that it's a risk, ask your OB and put it to rest.

ETA:  I'd go, and I want a baby as much as the next gal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Tangerine - you should be fine to go.  I was on Clomid and am convinced that my baby was conceived the weekend of a wedding, where not only did I drink too much champagne, but I danced until the small hours... including a rambunctious jumping dance move to "I've Got a Feeling"!

Even when the baby starts to grow, it is pretty safe and well padded in there - I was cross country skiing at 14 weeks (and I am far, far, far from a good skiier!).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Maybe just skip the double black diamonds and go with the easiest possible route down the mountain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gestation has to allow for jostling or no gestating creature would ever make it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Haha, thanks, ladies! I thought it might be a bit insane...seems like there's sooo much info out there on what you shouldn't do that it's easy to take it too far. Unless I'm told otherwise by my RE, I'll be strapping on those skis (but taking it easy, since multiple wipeouts wouldn't be good for me OR any potential new cluster of cells ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, I'd be more worried about breaking my neck and killing both of us!

I understand, you want a baby sooooo bad that you think and worry about everything.  But, as you strap on those skis and start to get nervous, again, just think about how the planet would look if jostling were dangerous to newly conceived mammals.  Where is everybody?  LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Just be sensible. I doubt the jostling would be as much of a concern as a major wipe-out on a really steep, icy trail.

Wear a helmet and make smart choices about which trails you ski. There may not be as much thrill in a long, meandering green, but it still gets you out there. I actually prefer that. Smile
    ETA: My only major concern would be having to get an x-ray if I did fall, knowing that I could be in the earliest stages of pregnancy. You can still fall on easy trails, but the risk is lower.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Unless your doctor has told you not to do something, why on earth would you not continue to live your life while TTC?  Sometimes people try for years to get pg. They still go skiing or engage in other active activities.  I get that Clomid treatments are only for a certain amount of time, but unless you are told by a medical professinoal not to do something b/c it might interfere w/ the treatment, or for some other reason, then just keep on keeping on.  I think you might be overthinking this one. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Alf - that was another thing I was thinking of saying , but I didn't want to sound harsh.

As much as you want to get pregnant, you can't let it rule your life. It is bad for you, bad for your mental health and potentially very bad for your relationship. These things can take time (weeks, months, years) and if you focus everything around it and plan your entire life around it, then, well, you stop enjoying life.
    Unless instructed otherwise, keep living as you always have done (unless of course there are things you should change, like drug use, smoking etc!).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, along those "live your life" lines, only damaged DNA (that has nothing to do with Mom's actions) will spontaneously abort at that early point, generally speaking.  I'm sure there could be exceptions, but...

ETA:  When you're worrying about stuff that strikes you as "possibly irrational," remember that women conceived babies and gave birth in physically demanding covered wagon trips across our rugged country.  They did the same when fire was a big deal and the wheel was new.  

The 2 week waits will make up half your life from now until you get pg, and I think ALF's point is really good - that 1/2 could end up being a big portion of your life even with the help you're getting.

But, an x-ray would be a no-no for me, as RFBF said.  However, of course, you can get in a car wreck or slip in your driveway any time. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you do get hurt while you're in the 2ww, tell the ER you could be pregnant.  They deal with that all the time and have protocols to handle it as safely for the potential embryo as possible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

AF showed up today which s*cks!  My temps were doing so good then they started to drop yesterday.  We are headed to the RE office on Friday for more blood work to get started on Clomid.

Those of you who have been of the TTC for over a year...Do you have any good tips on keeping yourself/ DH sane?

I hope you all are doing well and good luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Sorry tomarra! I think she is about to show up for me later today or tomorrow. Very frustrating indeed. It's been 6 mo for me so I have no advice on how to keep sane. I called my obgyn and made an appt for Monday to have her check things out. GL!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I *wish* I had good tips on keeping myself sane!  I've mostly tried to keep to my regular routine and do the things I want to in my life--that is, keep my exercise routine, eat the food I want to, etc.  I keep drinking to a minimum during the 2ww, but I have the occasional beer with friends.  Overall, I just try not to let ttc take over more of my life than it has to.  I don't mind changing my life for pregnancy, but until then, I try to keep doing the things I enjoy. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I've been TTC since 2008.  The only thing you can do to keep yourself sane is let it go.  Either you are going to get pg or you aren't.  DH and I had numerous discussions that we can still lead fully happy lives whether we have kids or not.  I had a mc last year [year ago next Tuesday in fact]. I doubt I'll get pg again - I'm going to be 39 in June and I have no interest [for various reasons which aren't worth going into b/c they will just generate a firestorm] in taking any fertility medication or pursuing IVF/IUI or any other method of assistance.  Put on the Stones and have a glass of wine: You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need. I have DH.  Anything else is gravy. It took a long time to get to that point. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Alf and Thistle both said it well.  I was trying for nearly two years before I feel pregnant (nearly 20 weeks ago, yikes!).

Don't let the mission to get pregnant be all consuming. Maintain other interests/hobbies etc. Talk about other things with DH. Don't plan your life around 'what ifs' or 'just in case' (for example, don't say no to a vacation with friends in the summer "just in case" you are five months pregnant by then).
    This said, do vent - and allow your DH to vent too. He may or may not be as expressive with his emotions, but the process can be equally as frustrating for him too. 

Do allow yourself to get upset and angry (and you will. When your best friend calls to tell you her great news, when your sister in law falls pregnant one month after trying etc etc). Get upset and angry, let it out and move on - and don't get angry at the people, it's the situation.

And if, like Alf, you get to the point where you are content to not have kids, then that is great too - really, and I don't say this as "some smug pregnant woman", but there really is more to life than breeding, and I am sure you and DH can contribute much more to the world than just continuing your geneaology!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Just to clarify, we are still actively TTC. But I am a realist: I will be 39 in June and have no interest in using modern medicine to make myself get pg if I cannot otherwise do it the way nature intended.  My chances are slim at this point - that's just life. Prill is right - there is more to life than procreation. If we have kids great, but we are still going to have great lives and be of use to society even if we can't continue our lineage. 

I don't understand [and never did] getting angry at other people who get pg or who get what you would like to have. Your life is not lessened in any way by their luck/joy.  You can't compare yourself to other people. It's okay to be irritated briefly, but you have to let it go and not spend the weekend weeping about it. It's really not healthy for TTC to be allconsuming.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, great post.  Honest and forthright.

I guess I might like it so much because can relate.  I used to cry every time AF arrived.  Now, 2 years and a very early m/c later and also at 39 and not willing to go to extra lengths, I've decided that if it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.  I'm truly happy with my life. 

It was a process.  Not sure how to advise someone to get there - it's a journey each of us has to take in our own way, I think.  Acceptance of the fact that we just don't have control, though, is key.  Even for all the temping, timing, seducing, dipping test strips, seeing an RA, getting shots, taking pills, not taking pills, etc., we just can't make it happen.  How you come to accept that is personal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

And another word of advice - don't just BD to procreate!  Try to keep it fun!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I have a slightly different take then Alf.  I think you have to do what you feel comfortable doing.  For me the idea of if I get pregnant naturally great, if not that is fine didn't work.  (As an aside I do think that is a super healthy way to think).  I pretty much had an idea from the get-go that I would have problems b/c my oldest sister is infertile and adopted.
    I knew I would want to pursue reasonable (in my mind) methods to help me get pregnant.  Soooo.... during the TTC process my husband and I took trips, took up golf together and really enjoyed our time without kids.  Nothing really lessens the blow of AF coming or a failed cycle but it certainly helps if you are having a good time otherwise. I would recommend not taking pregnancy tests and waiting for AF.  Whenever I was doing a cycle I would have a plan in place if that cycle failed.  Sometimes this took a little prodding of the RE but I found it infinitely helpful.  If this IUI doesn't work, will proceed to IVF.  If the 5th IVF doesn't work will proceed to donor. I allowed myself a few hours of grief after a failed cycle and then really tried to shake it off after that.

I tried to never get excited about a cycle.  I know this sounds pessimistic but I did not find it helpful to be hopeful.  Anyone who tells you wishful thinking will get you pregnant has never been through infertility treatment.

I also decided that nothing I was doing was impacting my chances of getting pregnant.  I refused to take responsibility for my infertility b/c I know I was not to blame.  I just wouldn't let me mind go there. I never charted or temped - as Kar says so much of this is just beyond our control.

I told everyone who wanted to know about our infertility - including everyone at work.  This is not a good idea for everyone but it completely stopped people from asking when I was going to get pregnant, etc.  I found that incredibly helpful and I found that people were very sensitive to what was going on . It was great to talk to other people in addition to my husband about our difficulties . 

Anyway, I hope you find these tips helpful.  The whole process just stinks.  I cannot imagine just getting pregnant from BD'ing!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I told almost no one, including none of my family members, that we were ttc--so almost no knows about my two failed pregnancies, either.  But now that we're officially pursuing treatment for infertility, and it's taking up so much of my attention and energy (I have to have a normal BMI before they'll treat me, and getting there isn't easy) I kind of want at least some people to know what's going on.  Is it a terrible idea to share this information?  Any suggestions on how to broach the conversation, now that it's kind of belated?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

thistle, I'm kind of in the same boat in that I'd like to share with people now that I chose not to at first about the early m/c.  But, like you say it's "old news," now, and I wonder if they'll be hurt. 

BUT, the fact is, it was YOUR very personal experience to share (or not).  You had every right to wait until you were comfortable talking about it to mention it to anyone.  I think people who love and care for you deeply will understand if you frame it that way.  Something like, "I know you totally would have been there for me at the time, but I needed to work it through on my own, and knowing you would have been there if I changed my mind was enough.  Thank you for that," would probably dispell any bad feelings.  I haven't done it myself, though, yet.  Haven't decided I truly want to.