February TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

February TTC

I'm kicking off February TTC with the Clearblue FM, OPKs and temping!!  I can't pull any more tricks out of the bag so fingers crossed!  GL everyone for Feb.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: February TTC

Good luck Wolff!  Just got my CD3 blood draw this morning to test FSH (egg quality and quantity), TSH (thyroid) and one other item that I can't recall.  So I am praying I don't get a call saying I'm out of eggs.  This is month 7... so we'll see.  I'm temping more consistently this month also.  Here's for some valentine's day action for several of us :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shoot, I didn't see this and started another one of the same name, sorry!  I reported myself since I can't delete it, and hopefully BDC will get rid of it.

GL this month, everyone!

ETA:  BDC deleted my errant thread - thanks, BDC!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

It's a new month, so everyone gets a fresh start as far as I'm concerned, myself included.

I have had 2 good job interviews recently, so I don't expect to be unemployed for too much longer. We switched to my husband's health insurance for Feb, so all set there.

I'm feeling great and got the thumbs up from the Dr. a few weeks ago, so I think we will try again this month. I've had enough stressful stuff recently, so I'm not going to chart or anything. Just see what happens.

My fingers are crossed for all of you this month (and me too)!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Hibernian - Congrats on the positive job interviews!

Has anyone tried the Fertile-Focus Saliva test? (http://www.drugstore.com/fertile-focus-saliva-ovulation-fertility-test/qxp91761?catid=97971&fromsrch=ovulation+kits) The reviews seem pretty mixed. I was thinking it would be kind of like a science experiment. DH would totally get behind that. Or it could be a total gimmick and not worth it...

GL this month! Let's get some Thanksgiving babies on this board! Smile

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, I bought a FR Home Fertility test to see if I have any left; I wonder how the results of that compare to a blood test.  I have no idea, but I was swayed by the ad, lol.  Anyway, will report what I find out.  I have to wait until a certain day (can't remember which) after AF starts.  Not sure when that will be.

Hib, you've been through a lot.  Here's to getting a great new job and for your green light to TTC, again.

MW, you've got quite the arsenal there; hope it pays off soon!

ML, how are you feeling?

AFM, I'm mainly just curious about my fertility.  I don't want to risk having a chromosomally challenged baby, and if I'm out of eggs, I won't have to worry about it.

ETA:  Chicklet, I've heard of it, but nothing more.  GL - let us know how it goes!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Kar, it's day 3 of your cycle.  I've read good things about the home tests being as accurate.  So good luck when you do it.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cool, thanks.  I was too lazy to get up and read the directions because AF isn't here yet, anyway.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hibernian, congrats on the interviews! I hope things start turning around for you with the job hunt and TTC. 

IPW, maybe I saw you getting blood drawn this morning. I was the crazy person in the corner sobbing uncontrollably, lol. First time ever that I didn't pass out, though! Progress! I'm seeing a gyn doc next week to talk about my weird ovulatory patterns. 

Good luck, Miss Wolff! How long have you been TTC?

Kar, how do those fertility tests work? Can they actually give you a number of how many eggs you have? Technology is crazy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--hooray for not passing out! Progress is good! Hope you are able to get the answers you need from your gyn.  This whole TTC/pg/mc thing has almost tripled the number of times I have had blood drawn in my life. Hopefully you won't need to get that much more practice.  :-/

IPW--fingers crossed for good news from your doctor.

MissWolff-you are well armed!  Hope it nails down the timing with complete clarity.  

Hiberian--congrats on the interviews & good luck!

Chiclet--I've also heard of that ferning microscope, but don't know of anyone who has used it.  You'll have to let us know how you like it if you try it!  I feel like I might go crazy if I had that though, staring at the slides for way longer than would be helpful.  I spend long enough looking at my BBT chart and OPKs and those seem more straightforward to interpret. haha

Kar--I didn't know they had home tests for that--that's neat!  Hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Fingers crossed for everyone--we need some BFPs in February!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, I have to admit I was a total victim of advertising and didn't do a ton of research (very unusual for me!) before I bought the tests so I don't know how they work or what, exactly, they can tell you.  But, after Day 3 of my period, I'll know all about it and have the result so I'll give a full report.

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement!  I'm not sure what I want it to say, though - almost hoping for a zero chance of getting pregnant so it's out of my control if we don't.  I was where you guys are for a long time, but things change.  I'm petrified at my age of having a Down's baby, but DH isn't that worried about it and thinks we should keep trying.  No amount of "we're other people's 'other people'" seems to impact his thinking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thanks all.

WPP- Glad you did better at the blood draw! I am in month 6 of TTC, been off the pill for 7 months.

Chiclet-  There seems to be a lot of discussions on saliva ferning on www.tcoyf.com if you want to check it out. Apparently it's not a hoax! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kar - I understand your feelings. I think we all know women over 40 who have had perfectly typical pregnancies and babies, but how do you know which group you're going to fall into. You have to decide how much risk you're willing to accept. Stereotypically, I would say that women tend to be more pessimistic than men, especially in the TTC department. That's at least how it works in my house. 

Good job with the blood test WPP. I hope your appointment goes well.

Thanks MissWolff, I was looking on Fertility Friend, but there didn't seem to be any mention in the forums.

We're trying to decide between the saliva microscope, the digital OPK that memorizes your LH levels rather than comparing them to a standard, and just getting 50 OPK strips. It comes down to did I just need to test longer or is there something "wrong" with my hormones that make OPK kits not work for me. One of the pluses to the microscope is that you just buy one and that's it. It's also a little less invasive. But, Siena is right, I'm probably going to freak out interpretting the patterns. DH said the same thing! I'm not going to order anything until AF finally gets here. (I'm on CD 35 and still nothing.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Happy Friday ladies!  I've been reading updates but haven't posted in awhile so I wanted to throw out a few things that related to January, sorry for going back...

First, ML, I'm very sorry for the news that you and your DH received.  I hope down the road you can find comfort in your family of three.

As for skiing, I actually asked my OB at my 16 week appointment if I was allowed to ski and he said yes.  He said his only concern would be that during pregnancy your joints are looser so I would have a greater risk of injuring an ankle or knee. Just some food for thought but I would assume that if it's okay to ski at 14 weeks it's probably okay to ski during the 2ww. Of course, as anything relating to TTC, pregnancy and parenting, it's a personal choice but I figured I would add in my experience.  (As an aside, our ski weekend was last weekend - I'm now 22 weeks - and I decided not to ski).

Finally, best of luck to all of you ladies.  Kar and IPW - I hope you get the results you're looking for! Hib - congratulations on getting the green light to jump back on the TTC wagon, I wish you the best in the upcoming months.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - I use to be in the same boat as you with the blood draw, I swear I can feel the blood draining from me as well. Even as an adult I would sob uncontrollably and brought my mom with me.  In the past few months all of my blood draws have been TTC or pregnancy related which I found helped. I would just focus on the fact that the blood draw was one step closer to being pg or was one more piece of information relating to the health of my LO.  If I thought about the fact that the blood draw wasn't necessarily for me but for the future/current baby then I was able to calm down. Perhaps that will help you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Chicklet.  Yes, it's all about risk assessment, and that's not as objective as I thought, lol.  But, someone has to be the 1 in 100, and I don't want it to be us.  For an 18 year old the Down's risk is 13 times less than it is for a 40 year old.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Hi Ladies,

Long time lurker on these boards.  Now we're giving the TTC thing a try, this is the first cycle and I'm now in the 2WW..which seems to be the longest space of time ever.....patience is not my thing :S
    So how early can I get a reliable test..or should I suck it up and wait?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome, Fuzzy!

As for testing, the marketing groups of First Reponse, et al, have spent billions of dollars convincing you it's worth it to test before your period is due.  It's not.  If you get a negative before your period is due, it doesn't mean squat.  If you are, in fact, pregnant, you MIGHT get a positive up to 6 days before your period, but chances are you'll get a false negative that early, anyway.  And, the line will be so faint you'll be on here saying, "I got a really, super, duper faint line.  Am I pregnant?  Should I run immediately to the doctor?"  The answer to those questions are yes and no, respectively.  HOWEVER, big caveat to the yes.  Many, many, many pregnancies detected that early because of the extreme sensitivity of home pregnancies would have been better never to have known about - they end about the time your period is due, anyway, due to catastrophic genetic combination problems.  This is called a "chemical pregnancy."  Ignorance is bliss of those; there's nothing you could have done to prevent them, anyway.  You'll get what you think is your period and never know you were pregnant for a week, just long enough for a pregnancy test to give a faint positive for a day or so until you lose it what looks and feels very much like a regular period.  I know, I had one.

So, please, please, please wait to test until your period is actually late by at least a day.  If you can wait until after it's a week late, that's even better.  The test will very likely to be definitive then whether it's negative or positive, and as long as you're taking your prenatal vitamins (for the folate, especially, since that prevents birth defects in the fetus before you even know you are pregnant) and doing whatever else you feel you need to do in case you are pregnant that week of not knowing for sure can't hurt your baby.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

chiclet--sorry about the long cycle--what a drag!  If you are anxious to nail down ovulation timing, I would suggest you consider combining one of those LH indicators (OPK or microscope) with temping.  

Temping is definitely a mixed blessing and it does make me kind of anxious contemplating each day's new data point, but I did find it reassuring to see my OPK result backed up on my chart.  Also, when I was waiting what felt like forever to see a positive on the OPK, it reassured me that I probably hadn't missed anything.  

Temping doesn't work for everyone though, and I wouldn't recommend it if you have a irregular waking/sleeping schedule for much of the week.  (This will making temping less accurate and more stressful.)  Anyway, I absolutely don't mean this to be pushy, because I totally see the anxiety-provoking potential of temping, but on the other hand if one is already stressing about timing, maybe it will help on the balance. It could go either way. Just food for thought.

Welcome, Fuzzy!

kar's advice is sound.  The 2ww is horrible, but I don't think testing early makes it any better.  I strictly disallow myself from doing so.  In fact, I look at the calendar in advance and figure out which day I'm "allowed" to test on, and keep reminding myself of that day as the temptation grows.  

Right now, I'm waiting for Tuesday, and my mind is playing crazy games imagining early pregnancy symptoms.  One way or the other my uncertainty should be resolved within a few days though.  I figure an early test is much more likely to be negative than positive (because I am more likely not pregnant than pregnant, and even if I am pregnant, the chances of a negative test are high).  So I'll just be disappointed and even more anxious, knowing that the negative HPT didn't resolve anything.  And kar is right about chemical pregnancies too.

If you want the data, here are some rough numbers:

Below are the probability that you will get a positive HPT if you are truly pregnant on that day:
    10 dpo : 35%
    11 dpo : 51%
    12 dpo : 62%
    13 dpo : 68%
    14 dpo : 74%
    15 dpo : 80%
    16 dpo : 88%
    17 dpo : 92%

Here's some more info from FertilityFriend:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/tg/galleryStats.php

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML - I was offline for a few days and just saw your post in January TTC.  I'm so sorry.   But I am so, so glad you have DD and she is truly living up to her middle name. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great addition to my answer, siena, thanks.  I, too, mark on the calendar when I'm expecting to have AF so I know when I'm late.  If I'm doing OPKs, I know exactly what day that will be, too.  But, I'm obviously not bothering with that anymore.

I will add a caveat to the "wait until AF is due or, better, a week late to test."  If you can't stand it and would love to test earlier just on the off chance you catch a BFP as early as humanly possible, buy these cheap strips so you don't waste $20/month for goodness knows how many months due to your addiction.  They have to be dipped (collect your urine in a cup), but are no less reliable than the expensive ones.

But, given that, I feel the need to warn you expressly, again, that IGNORANCE of VERY EARLY pregnancies that get lost in what looks like your period is BLISS.  There's no gain in knowing a week before your period is due.  None.  Please trust me on that one and wait until AF is due to test if you can possibly stand it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Welcome Fuzzy!

Clc, I was talking to DH about that and how I'm much more willing to do the blood draw in the name of TTC and pregnancy. It does help to know that there's a purpose!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Welcome Fuzzy!

Kar, I bought a new box of FRER tests yesterday and it came with a free fertility tester like you were talking about. Great, more things to pee on!

Siena, I also bought a basal thermometer. I agree with what you're saying. I initially didn't want to do something every day, but it looks like that's the best option right now. Everything about TTC is making me a crazy person, why not add one more thing?! :-)

I called the doctor today about AF being so late. They scheduled me for an ultrasound this afternoon. I wasn't expecting an ultrasound so fast, but I'm kind of excited that they might be able to tell me if something is wrong. At least my doctor is taking it seriously. (Although, I kind of feel bad because I have no intentions of letting him deliver my kid, but that's another story.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, more things to pee on, I know!  I'm not due for AF for another week or two, and then I have to wait until Day 3 to test.  

I like knowing when to expect AF to the day despite my irregular cycles so maybe I'll go back to doing the ovulation strips.  I have a bunch, anyway.

When I was considering temping I thought about getting a basal thermometer made for it that stored all the numbers.  Saw it on Amazon and it got good reviews.  Can't comment further, though, since I ditched the whole idea when it became obvious that there was no pattern at all to when my LH surges were happening.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

I figured it would be a wait and see..but would waiting 3 more days make or break the result at this point?  According to my calendar AF should show up on Thursday.  Patience is so not my thing!!

Sections
Shortcuts