February TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February TTC

WPP, you can be eating well and still have high cholesterol.  Genetics plays a large role.  My aunt is a chiropractor and nutritionist and believes that cholesterol alone is not a problem and the conventional medical community is causing more problems than its solving by sounding the alarm about it and putting everyone on cholesterol lowering drugs.  Beware.  Do your research before you do anything about it - it's not as cut and dry as you might think (or your doctor might lead you to believe) imo.  I also recently learned that high blood sugar is worse - it's crystaline structure scrapes the arteries giving any cholesterol you do have a place to build up.

GL as you get back on track.  CD 56 - how frustrating!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

IPW, sorry about the test result! Hope you are able to get good answers from your RE soon.  Try to just keep breathing in between now and then.

Chiclet--hope you can find someone IRL besides DH to talk to about this.  It can help to have a little support, even from someone who hasn't walked this particular mile themselves.  (There are a couple people in my life who I have talked to about my ttc & mc journey.  Occasionally they don't "get it", but at other moments they are startingly insightful and supportive.  On the balance, it has definitely been worth it to me.)

kar--hope the waiting isn't too painful.

WPP--hope you get AF soon!  Glad you are talking to your doc though about how to know when additional steps would be necessary. (And about cholesterol--it's great that you are talking about what you can do now.  I hope he was able to give helpful advice.)

AFM, today was a better day.  AF has loosened her assaultive grip on my body a little.  I'm feeling more peaceful, better about my ability to keep putting one foot in front of the other for a while longer.  Trying to unclasp my focus on particular timelines, and take a longer view of this.  I am a planner by nature, so this is a continual challenge, not an innate process.  

I'm a little nervous about how I will handle it if I am not pg again by my EDD.  My doctor suggested after my mc that I TTC again right away, and then I'd likely be pg again before my EDD.  And then she suggested I'd feel like I wouldn't have been able to have that baby if I had the first baby, and somehow that would make me feel better.  It made a little bit of sense at the moment, but it's making less and less sense to me over time.  I'm trying, I guess, to accept the high probability that I won't be pg again by then, and let go of the idea that there is a specific timeline for this. You'd think the fact that the universe has scratched my plans A through C for having a baby would've made this easier by now.  hah. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

IPW - I'm sending you a big hug. I'm sorry for your bad news. It seems too early to jump to "complete failure" but I know how easy it is to think the worst. I'm sure you're not the worst the RE has ever seen and he or she will have great ideas to explore further. Of course, I'm one to talk. Maybe we can get matching RE appointments and hold hands in the waiting room? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Siena, first off, I am sorry you are in such turmoil.  Secondly, I am appalled that your dr told you that if you TTC right away again after your mc that you'd be pg by your EDD. That is a load of bunk and you should not put that kind of pressure on yourself. I was fine after my MC and did begin TTC right away again. My EDD was in Sept of 2010.  Yeah, still TTC here.  You will get pg when you get pg.  You are not more fertile after a mc; you are as fertile as you ever were, so I don't know where they get that idea.  In any event, do not set that date as a 'goal date' for pg b/c it's no more of a determinative date than Bastille day. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Chiclet, just wanted to check in and say Dr. Hardy is awesome, and I know so many people (myself included!) with on of "his babies" - He is the best.

IPW - Thinking of you, but as someone said, don't get ahead of yourself - and stop googling! Seeing an RE is not a disaster, it's a step in the direction you want to go.

Siena - we have so little control over life in reality, this trying to have a healthy baby part of life is always a strong reminder of that. We don't (entirely) get to choose when a baby comes, or does not come in to our lives. It's just one of those great mystery things I'm dealing with now too. Please know you are in my thoughts, as you all are.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

IPW - I would be very surprised if a RE would not attempt IVF with that FSH.  FSH does vary and it is not then final word.  I am sure they would do IVF cycles and see how you respond to the meds.  Keep in mind, you were very recently successful.  That seems better evidence to me than any number.  Hang in there!  I think you will feel better after your appt - again, the need for a plan.  I am not sure where you are going to go for your RE but I found boston IVF to be a little more aggressive than MGH (but less personal in some ways).

I find it so interesting that the second round of TTC can be so hard.  I found it really hard too even though I didn't think I would since I was already blessed with one child. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Ok....having sat and waited patiently, according to my app AF should have arrived on Wednesday (no sign of the evil witch)..so I took a test (one of those Rite Aid ones that make a plus sign), and I saw the faintest of plus signs forming (or was it in my mind?).  I'm going to wait a few more days (and see if AF arrives), and use the other one to confirm.
    If not, I think I'll buy that job lot of tests on Amazon for the next go around...those things are expensive!
    GL to everyone

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Fuzzy - a faint positive is still a positive but I agree I use to think I saw a positive but really it was just that I wanted to see one.  I found that if I walked away from the test for another minute and looked again I had a clearer time seeing that it was negative.  Might be something to try the next time you test.  Fingers crossed that faint plus was a real positive!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - Sorry about your high cholesterol. I think Kar is right that it's just part of the picture. You have to consider if your LDL is high, your HDL is low and where your triglycerides are in order to really know what to do. I started seeing a nutritionist for help with my numbers. I thought I was eating fairly good before, but I've made a lot of changes with her help and got my numbers down without medication. If your doctor is concerned, you might want to ask him about a referral to a nutritionist.

Siena - your doctor seems a little insensitive to me. I've heard that your fertility can increase right after a miscarriage, but I'm sure that for every person that happens to, there's a person like you and ALF who struggle. I'm a planner too, but it seems like TTC goes against my planning nature altogether. To give you a deadline like that just puts undue pressure on you. If she had said, "If you aren't pregnant by your EDD, we'll try something else," that would have been one thing. But the whole, "Have a baby now so you'll feel better" just seems like the wrong thing to say to someone who just had one of the worst experiences imaginable. I'm sorry you're going through that.

ML - I'm so happy to hear that you liked Dr. Hardy. I heard he is kind of gruff and impatient (which is probably why he gets along with my OB/GYN so well). I've had a good experience with his office staff so far.

Fuzzy - Congratulations on your BFP! I'm glad there's some good news on this board! :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

It's one thing to suggest that there is a possibility that you might be more fertile after a m/c [on what basis I don't know], but to suggest that there is a strong probability that you will get pg after one is a whole other ball of wax. Many things are possible but not w/in the realm of probability. 

I see your planning and raise you one. ;-) I have a spreadsheet for groceries so we don't run out of things.  lol.  My lists have lists. I am a Type A ++.   My DH cracked last weekend that I have a system for everything and that the systems have fail safe backups.  He's lucky I love him and have a good sense of humor. :-) I did treat him to A Look, though.  However, you cannot plan a baby. Period. You can do some things to make things more likely, but there is nothing you can do to guarantee one.  For a doctor to suggest otherwise makes me want to fly up to Boston and smack him/her. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Siena, I hate that the doctor told you that.  I will also say that whether you are pregnant around your EDD or not, there is a very real possibility that you will feel sad and a little off around that time.  This year, I wasn't as conscious of it as I was the first year, but I was definitely more introspective at that time.  Whether it's a take-home baby or a loss, the dates are ingrained in your head (or at least in mine) and in your subconscious. 

I echo what others said about not letting that doc put you on a clock to get pregnant....I think I'd also go back and mention that you didn't appreciate that advice, so that he/she doesn't say the same for the next patient. 

I have always been very open with people about my miscarriage.  I feel like so many people have experienced this loss - and don't talk about it - that by being open about it, I give friends, etc an opportunity to reach out to me if they ever need to.  Those first few weeks of pregnancy are such a solitary, scary time anyway; the thought of having to grieve that loss on my own, without my broader support network, is something I woudn't want to have done. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fuzzy, a faint positive is a positive as long as you aren't tipping it "just right" and seeing the line where they put the stuff that reacts to hCG.  However, if you are 2 days late for AF and you saw what you think is a faint line, I'd say that's a positive!  Here's hoping it sticks!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks for the cholesterol info! All of my other numbers were normal and I've always been pretty healthy. I'd be interested in seeing a nutritionist regardless, though, because I feel like so much food is laced with sugars and sodium and it's hard to put together healthy meals. I have this Fooducate (like "educate") app that lets you scan barcodes and then gives food a letter grade. Grocery shopping takes me forever! It's also surprising which grades some foods get. Siena, I hope you can resist that pressure from your doctor...that date is just a day like ALF said and if you stress out about it that may make it harder. What a stupid thing for your doctor to say! Congrats, Fuzzy! Sticky thoughts!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There are good books on basic nutrition, WPP; I think it will be a lot less time consuming than learning everything from a nutritionist.  Complete Idiot's Guide to Nutrition  Get the basics from this (for $13 and at home) and then fine tune your approach with a nutritionist if you still feel it would be helpful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

WPP, in the meantime, the easy thing to do is just shop the perimeter of the grocery store.  That is all the fresh fruits, veggies, dairy and meat.  The inner aisles is where the processed food lies in wait. :-)  If you go w/ what is in season and on sale, it's not that expensive.  Also, if you get the bags of plain rice and beans [usually in the 'ethnic' section of the store] they don't have all the additives that the boxes and cans do, so they are healthier. As a bonus, they typically cost less as well. They do not require much more prep time either [other than the beans which have to soak overnight]. Lentils are super healthy and do not need to soak [that was initially a surprise to me] and take 20 minutes to cook.  HTH!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great advice, ALF - the perimeter method.  It works!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks ladies for your thoughts and support. Yes it was an insensitive comment. It was my PCP and not my OB who said this and I think she was grasping at straws a little, trying to figure out what to say. She deviated quite a bit from the script that the 5 OBs I talked to during my mc had, and I'm inferring it's because she deals with it less frequently. I just coincidentally had an appt scheduled with her a few days after my mc. Because I got pregnant so quickly the first time, I bet she didn't anticipate this situation. It's human nature to infer patterns where there is just randomness, and one observation doesn't give much information about the whole distribution. She should have known that, but oh well. LuvRIboy-- I'm sure your openness has been a help to those in your circle. A mc can be a lonely thing, since it is so often kept quiet. Fuzzy--congrats on the BFP!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm glad you're not dwelling on it, and I suppose it's nice to cut her some slack, but imo there was no excuse whatsoever for that thoughtless comment from a physician. Well meaning friends and family have a lot more leeway (in my mind, anyway) to say pretty much ludicrous things to try to make their loved ones feel better than a doctor does.  Her whole education should have lent itself to internalizing that one event doesn't make a pattern.  That's not to say I couldn't forgive her having said that, but I'd not rationalize it as if she had any reasonable excuses.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

In Response to Re: February TTC:
    [QUOTE]I'm on CD56 after coming off BC and he said that I should continue monitoring and we'll talk again in two or three months. He said if I don't get a period by then that we'll talk about clomid. I've seen people mention it on here but I'm not really sure what it is. He was talking about different causes for amenorrhea and wants to rule out PCOS and some others that I'll probably vociferously google tonight. 
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

WPP, I totally don't mean to question your doctor, and I'm not sure how old you are or how big of a hurry you're in to conceive. But when I came off BCP, my doctor gave me 60 days to get AF, at which point I had an appointment and he gave me Provera to jump-start my cycle (Provera is a course of progesterone pills that get your body to produce a "withdrawal" period, which I guess in a lot of cases kick-starts normal cycles). Being more on the type A side, I was all for moving things along. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you're not psyched about potentially waiting another 2-3 months. I had amenorrhea which my doctor ultimately diagnosed as oligoamenorrhea, and took Clomid, so I'm happy to answer any questions you have (though I'm hoping AF will show up and you won't even have to go down that road!) Good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Re: February TTC:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: February TTC : WPP, I totally don't mean to question your doctor, and I'm not sure how old you are or how big of a hurry you're in to conceive. But when I came off BCP, my doctor gave me 60 days to get AF, at which point I had an appointment and he gave me Provera to jump-start my cycle (Provera is a course of progesterone pills that get your body to produce a "withdrawal" period, which I guess in a lot of cases kick-starts normal cycles). Being more on the type A side, I was all for moving things along. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you're not psyched about potentially waiting another 2-3 months. I had amenorrhea which my doctor ultimately diagnosed as oligoamenorrhea, and took Clomid, so I'm happy to answer any questions you have (though I'm hoping AF will show up and you won't even have to go down that road!) Good luck!
    Posted by Tangerine5[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Tang!
    Yeah, I had thought that 60 days was the long end of the duration that they wait. This was the first time I met this particular doctor...my PCP referred me to him (a gyn; not crazy about having a male doc, so I'll likely change this at some point). Since living here, I've never had a separate gyn dr because my PCP always did paps and other lady-doctoring. (Is this unique to MA? I grew up in western NY and all doctors had separate specialties.)

Anyway, you're right, I'm not psyched to wait for AF for another few months! It's CD59 and I really hope it comes soon. I think the doctor wants to wait things out because I'm 26, but I anticipate ending up on Clomid or another medication because I've always had really irregular periods. Before BC (for about 7 years) I only got 4-6 periods per year. How did the clomid and provera worked for you? Did they regulate your cycle quickly?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

hi everyone! I'm a longtime lurker, first-time poster.

I'm 30 and went off the pill at the end of May. Initially, I went on the pill at age 19 because my periods were irregular, and I was on it for 10 years. I went off before we were ready to start trying to see if my period would come back at all. We started "not preventing" (but not actively trying -- no OPKs or temp taking or anything) in November.

My period came back in early July, and my cycles were pretty regular (for me) for a few months: 35 days, 31 days, 35 days, 36 days.
    But, my last cycle was 44 days, and I'm still waiting for my period (on day 46 and counting).

Long story short, does this sound like PCOS? I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow to get a referral to an OB/GYN , but I wanted to see if any of you had any thoughts on my wacky cycle. Thanks, all! And good luck to all of you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

WPP - I also had my PCP do all my lady doctoring (actually, often had even the nurse practioner do it, who I liked a lot better).  My first gyn was my ob!  So not sure if its unique to MA... but definitely not unique to you :-)  Good luck getting AF soon... 

Fuzzy... any further testing?  Very excited to hear more good news from you.

Jleigh... sounds like worth a call to the doctor.

AFM... I was able to get an appointment with an RE this Friday.  So excited.  The one that is very popular on the north shore, and the one my ob referred me to, isn't open until end of March... so I took first avail from another RE in same practice.  I know for a fact that I O'd on Saturday (CD12).  For the first time I actually felt a little pinch just before I got up Sat morning, saw EWCM Fri and Sat, and my temp went way up Sun morning.  And we were able to BD Saturday afternoon... so if nothing else, my timing is good I think.  Now we'll just need to learn more about my eggs because it seems like my body is still trying to function properly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Jleigh - Are you reading my diary? You and I are going through nearly the same thing, right down to a very similar timeframe! I'll just say that my gyn was very interested in my lengthing cycle. It's definitely worth giving them a call. Your doctor might tell you to wait longer, but I don't think that's a bad thing either.

IPW, good luck with the RE. Here's hoping that you won't need his or her services after this weekend!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - I'm also 26 and I called my GYN when I had a long cycle, I made the call around 45 days, they saw me right away but didn't see anything abnormal.  They told me I had until CD 60 to get AF and then I had to go back for more testing. Luckily for me I got AF on Day 60 and then my cycles sort of evened out. Considering you already have a history of abnormal cycles I would think your doctor would want to see you sooner.  It might be worth a second opinion.

Fuzzy - hoping to hear good news from you!

JLeigh - Have you tested?  I'm assuming you have in which case I would agree with IPW and put in a call to your doctor.

IPW - good luck with the RE and sounds like your timing was pretty spot on.  Best of luck this cycle!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Hi Ladies,

Starting to freak out this morning...ok so no AF all weekend (and no beer either..grumble...), we decided to wait until Tuesday to do another test.  I went to the gym this morning and began running as normal.  About halfway through I started getting cramps, so I switched to the elliptical and they stopped after about 10 minutes or so.
    I also got some bleeding...now I'm worried, is it AF?  Or worse?  Is this normal?  Should I even bother with another test tomorrow morning?  I guess I'll know if the bleeding hasn't stopped, right?  Anyone with similar?