February TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: February TTC

Fuzzy, I would say still test.  Bleeding and mild cramps are normal in the beginning of a pregnancy.  I actually had period like bleeding for several weeks which I thought was AF but instead resulted in a BFP.  It was very scary because it was really heavy bleeding but I'm now 23 weeks pregnant.  So it can happen. 

I don't think you should stop your life but I wouldn't work out anymore until the bleeding stops or it's confirmed it's AF.  I was put on "pelvic rest" for most of my first tri due to the bleeding.  Basically I was told that I could go to work and run small errands but besides that should be sitting down with my feet up. I was told no working out, yard work, vacuuming, or anything that wasn't absolutely necessary. I think my doctor was being a little cautious but it was worth it for me to follow his advice. Best of luck in these next few days and weeks.  Sending you lots of sticky thoughts!  Don't give up hope!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

In Response to Re: February TTC:
    In Response to Re: February TTC : Thanks, Tang! Yeah, I had thought that 60 days was the long end of the duration that they wait. This was the first time I met this particular doctor...my PCP referred me to him (a gyn; not crazy about having a male doc, so I'll likely change this at some point). Since living here, I've never had a separate gyn dr because my PCP always did paps and other lady-doctoring. (Is this unique to MA? I grew up in western NY and all doctors had separate specialties.) Anyway, you're right, I'm not psyched to wait for AF for another few months! It's CD59 and I really hope it comes soon. I think the doctor wants to wait things out because I'm 26, but I anticipate ending up on Clomid or another medication because I've always had really irregular periods. Before BC (for about 7 years) I only got 4-6 periods per year. How did the clomid and provera worked for you? Did they regulate your cycle quickly?
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Hey WPP - I also never had a separate GYN and always had my PCP do all my lady-parts testing/exams until the whole TTC thing started up. I was referred to a GYN when AF never showed up after stopping BCP.

About the provera and clomid, they did regulate my cycle quickly, but only through artificial means (i.e. the provera didn't kick me into a normal cycle as it does for some women). I had a really irregular cycle before I started bcp about 11 years ago (45-60 day cycles), so my doctor thinks I only ovulated sporadically if at all. Provera forces a withdrawal period much the same way that bcp does, and Clomid forces your ovaries to release eggs (or at least it tries to do that). I apparently o-ed on Clomid, and provera never failed in bringing on AF for me. I think I took provera pills for maybe 7 days, and then would get AF within a few days after the last pill. If you had AF regularly on bcp, I'd guess provera would do the same for you (depending on the type of bcp you were on). Sounds like since you're young in terms of TTC/fertility stuff, they're being a little more conservative...but I do think 60 days is sort of the standard wait time, and I think you have every right to request another appointment that time if AF hasn't shown up. Good luck and I'm happy to answer any questions!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

2ww, a haiku

Now time is like molasses
    Holding out hope for the positive test
    Twiddling thumbs until I know

Masterpiece complete!  I need something to distract myself...haha

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Oh wait- I think that's wrong. Supposed to be syllable count of 5, 7, 5not word count.

Maybe I'll come up with something more profound tomorrow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fuzzy, red, AF-like bleeding and uncomfortable cramps after a positive pregnancy test is often an early miscarriage, or "chemical pregnancy."  

However, mild cramping and brownish/pinkish spotting (and rarely red, heavier bleeding) in early pregnancy can be normal and prove to be nothing to worry about.  Hoping and praying that's what's going on with you.

Do your regular activities.  If it's an early m/c there's nothing you can do to stop it and you didn't cause it.  If it's not, it's not.

ETA:  But, it's a good idea to take things easier in the gym in case you're having exercise induced spotting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Thanks Kar, think I might have jumped the gun with the positive test, although I've never had an irregular cycle, first time for everything. I think AF has arrived instead, if it is an early m/c it was non-viable so nothing I could do about it anyways. I did buy a job lot of tests for the next go around, so I won't spend a fortune on them in the future. Better luck next time

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fuzzy, it could have been a shadow of a line where the reagent is on the test.  But, yes, if it was a chemical pregnancy there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.  And, I still believe, even after all the back and forth about it, that there's nothing to be gained by knowing about it.  So, I still recommend only testing for pregnancy after AF is late.  If you can wait a whole week after (good luck, I can't), that's all the better.  If you can't wait AND can live with knowing about any chemical pregnancies (I've had one that I know of in 3 years) test away.  The cheapest ones are on Amazon in the 50 packs.  You can blow through 7 of those a month and only be set back about $1.50.

GL!  And, buckle up. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Fuzzy, bummer about AF. I'm sorry you're dealing with that disappointment. 

MissWolff, your haiku cracked me up! The things we do to keep ourselves sane! :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chicklet, I had missed MW's poem - so funny!  

Here's mine...

Started out gung ho
    Thought it would be so easy
    It's fun to try though

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. It's a good excuse to TTC, right?

I'm sorry Fuzzy, it's tough to think you have one thing going on, and then it turns into something else. I hate not really knowing what my body is up to. I hope you get some time to relax and be good to yourself today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Yeah, I wish there was an earlier way to tell rather than waiting 2+ weeks.  Slight rant about the quality of tests...a hazy line is supposed to tell me something?  I can't quite believe in the age of smart phones etc I have to squint at a very expensive test and the right angle to find out if its BFP or not.  Bah!
    Now I am armed with 50 tests so that will put my mind at ease next go around

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

IPW, good luck at your appt this Friday!

jleigh, did you end up calling your doctor?

MW and kar, I think your poems are a perfect commentary on the human condition. :)

Fuzzy, sorry for the possible false alarm. :( 

Tang, thanks for all of that great info. I like knowing what possibilities are in my future. 

CLC, it sounds like our doctors have different plans for us; I'm on CD62 but he said I should wait and see for another couple months. It may have something to do with the potential for multiples with meds? Idk. You have a singleton pregnancy, right? Did you go on clomid or anything? I hope your pregnancy is going well. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fuzzy, for future reference, if it's that hard to interpret and you're pregnant, 2  or 3 days later what was a faint line (maybe?) will be unmistakable.  Check this out:

WPP, did you check out the nutrition book?  You're not an "idiot," by the way.  I hate those titles!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - I am having a singleton.  I never had to go on any medication because I actually received AF on CD 60 and they didn't need to see me.  After that my cycles went back to relatively normal (28 - 36 days) so I didn't make another call to my GYN until I had my BFP.  I just wanted to point out that we are the same age and seemingly in similar situations with the long cycle and my doctor had given me a different guideline (CD 60 max). However, I believe my doctor tends to be more reactive then most.  When we first started TTC he suggested that if I wasn't pg after 4 months he would like to hear from me. I personally decided after 4 months that I wasn't ready to make that call yet and lucked out with a BFP a month later, nevertheless it was reassuring to know that he would have seen me earlier if I felt the need to go in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - I read that Clomid increases your chances of having multiples to 8% (from about 3% without it). I was surprised that the chance was so low. I thought it would be more like 50%! I don't know if that stat would change if twins already ran in your family. (Both of my parents have twins in their families, so it's definitely something that's been on my radar, even before this whole fertility issue thing reared its head.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Someone I know who had twins on Clomid told us they did it because the risk of twins was only 5%.  I thought it would be higher than 5 - 8%, too, given how many (it seems) people have twins when taking it.  I wonder what the stats are for triplets.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Fuzzy--sorry about the confusion and frustration. It sounds to me like a chemical pregnancy was likely. A negative test doesn't show a second line in my experience--not even a faint one. I just wanted to point out that if indeed this was a chemical pregnancy, it can take a little while for the hcg to clear out of your system so it is possible that you would still get a positive pregnancy test even after a miscarriage. The hcg will go down-- it might just take a few days or a week or so. (this is a rough guess. It took 4 weeks for hcg to go down after my mc but I was 12 weeks along, so te situation was different.) It all depends on how high the levels climbed to begin with. So you might try testing but if it comes back with another faint line, don't jump to conclusions either way. Just test again in a few days and/or call your doctor. Like the haikus!, by the way! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Chiclet -- I have been following your experience because it seems similar to mine. I'm glad your doctor is so proactive about getting you on track! I hope I have a similar experience.

WPP --My doctor gave me a referral to an OB/GYN today, and I'm going to call to get an appointment this week.  

clc -- I tested on Sunday and it was negative. Still no sign of AF, so I will probably test again this weekend just to be sure I'm not pg.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: February TTC:
    Yeah, I wish there was an earlier way to tell rather than waiting 2+ weeks.  Slight rant about the quality of tests...a hazy line is supposed to tell me something?  I can't quite believe in the age of smart phones etc I have to squint at a very expensive test and the right angle to find out if its BFP or not.  Bah! Now I am armed with 50 tests so that will put my mind at ease next go around
    Posted by Fuzzymiss9

(lurker here)

I agree, those tests are very frustrating.  I switched to the ones that actually say "pregnant/not pregnant".  Less frustrating (although not if you get the answer you don't want...)  Good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Clomid twin mom here... sigh. ;) 7% chance last I checked. I think it is relatively rare though to have clomid twins - all the doctors and nurses I ran into assumed I had ivf.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pregnancy test haiku

Is that a real line?
    Or are my eyes playing tricks?
    I hate HPTs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I couldn't stand the tests with the line. The first time I took it, it was so faint I didn't believe it. And, since it was the first pregnancy test I had ever taken I didn't even know what I was looking at. I went out that night and bought a digital one. When you see 'pregnant' pop up, then you know it is real. I literally found out when I was 3 weeks pregnant, so the line was just barely there...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

When I WAS pregnant this time (early) I had tested and got 2 lines a couple of times on HPT.  I then got the pregnant/not pregnant test.  The first came back not pregnant and the second came back with a question mark. What the heck? I thought for sure that I must have had a short chemical pregnancy which 6 1/2 months later, of course, I did not.   I am biased now against those. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've read that any type of HPT that is past its expiration date can react oddly...mabye that was the case for that pack of digitals?  We'll never know, of course, just a random thought.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm on a haiku bender...somebody stop me!

I'm forty years old.
    Do I still want a baby?
    Yes. No. I don't know.

Yesterday, I was supposed to use FMU to test my fertility, and I forgot until the afternoon.  I'm betting if you don't do it exactly right the hormone level won't correlate to the result chart and therefore will be meaningless.  So, I have to wail another month.  Whoops.

Sections
Shortcuts