Fertility Window, new research

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fertility Window, new research

Ladies, I found this article to be VERY informative about ovulation timing.  Frustratingly enough, the graphs are omitted, but the text explains them, anyway, so nothing is really lost.  The upshot of it is how you can ovulate and have a viable pg far outside the regular day window most of us assume is it.  I knew it "could happen" any old time, but I figured it was so rare I couldn't expect it.  I was wrong.

Fertility Window Article

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

Re: Fertility Window, new research

hi everyone-you can download a free pdf copy of this article (with figures) at the following link:

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/321/7271/1259

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooooh, thanks, echeri!  I'm such a visual person, I really missed the pics even though the info was essentially all there without them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I am so happy to see you post that article, Kargiver.  Everyone has jumped on the bandwagon about targeting the most likely time,  too little is said that after numerous years of studies that have shown 30-35% of pregnancies are in that window, which means with 4-7% in the 4 days just before and into  the period,  close to 55%  of pregnancies come from the other 2 weeks, plus a scattering only during and right after menses.
        A lot of people stress out and actually their lovemaking frequency goes down before and after the famous window.  This actually keeps people whose personal cycle is before or after that time from getting pregnant, sometimes for years.  For people to realize that at least 10 percent chance, and up to 27 percent, is that a given woman will get pregnant the week before or after gives hope and heart back to those who lost it TTC.
        I wish I could remember the author of an article my Gyn gave me years back.  A title something like,  why is it that after  Dh and I stopped trying that we finally had a baby?  The conclusion was, they focused so much on the window, they never "did it"  the 5 or 6 days after.  For lots of women, the 27%, this is the only time they are fertile.  Avoid it, for years, and it is the same as being on birth control.
    Forgetting the window, for lots was coming off self -imposed birth control.
           The devil is in the details- all the women who get pregnant the rest of the time.  I know a lot of nurses who push doctors to emphasize this fact more to women seeking to become pregnant.  They are often told to shut up, or even fired.  There would be much less of a  lucrative practice in infertility issues if everyone knew.
         It has been known for over 20 years that poor or uneducated women and those on Medicaid have far fewer troubles getting pregnant after the initial 2 years of a relationship.  Is that because women with more money and education are playing the highest odds, often on medical advice, while poor and uneducated women who cannot afford doctors and do not read up on the subject,  spread out their bets?
    Having far more children than some want?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That doctors would purposely HIDE this information is criminal, whata!  I sort of wish I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised; everything is driven by the almighty dollar...especially in healthcare where, ironically, it's the most immoral to be so IMO.

I know that article gave me a lot of hope, like you said, and I can relate to the pressure of the "right day" has gotten to us, too, and it's not "fun" at all.  This will help, and I hope you're right that it helps others, too.

Actually, I found it because I am feeling "weird" and figured I "can't" be pg because the timing was off.  Maybe...just maybe the timing wasn't off after all........

Thanks!

~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

So the bottom line is - if you're TTC and you and your partner are in fact fertile (without intervention) just bd two to three times per week every month and cross your fingers! A pregnancy is likely to occur! I like this old fashioned uncomplicated perspective!
    Sending hopeful "right timing afterall" thoughts your way Kar!