How accurate are POAS tests?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: How accurate are POAS tests?

I'd trust it.  People get "false positives" when they tip it into the light and notice the wet reagent strip where the line would be if they were pregnant - it shows a little if the light hits it just right, but there's no color to it.  People also misread them after they sit too long and get a faint evaporation line.  However, if I got even a faint blue line right away I'd know it detected the pg hormone.  My doctor's office actually uses the POAS tests.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnFox8011. Show AnnFox8011's posts

My ob-gyn's office says modern pregnancy tests are so accurate, they don't even have folks come in for a blood test too, unless there is a history of miscarriages or to investigate strange symptoms. A positive result means Hcg has been detected and that you're pregnant! I've always purchased the digital tests (ones that say "pregnant" or "not pregnant"), as they provide peace of mind, versus the ones with the lines (then it's easy to think you're imagining that second line).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

It was a blue test.  The lines were very clear - not even remotely faint and popped up in about 30 seconds.

My insurance/health care provider will do a blood test for free.  I've always been told that the blood test is more accurate.  Besides, I'm old (37), so they would want to do the test I would think. 

I'm too cheap to shell out for a digital test when I can get the blood test for free.  The only reason I even tested was b/c I had a test lying around the house.  lol. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

ALF, that's why I like the ones that say "pregnant" or "not pregnant". I don't think there are many false positives, but it can be a false negative if they don't detect enough Hcg. Have you tested positive???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

It was a positive test result. I want a blood test confirmation though. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Alf!  Did you get a positive???

I've had a couple of friends who've gotten very, very faint lines on those type of tests and were told by their pharmacist and doctor (respectively) that any hint of a line is a definite positive - that there really aren't false positives.  But this is not from my own experience - just what I've heard.

ETA: Just read your follow-up post, Alf.  Wow!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

ALF, I can understand your wanting more confirmation - that's how I felt after ttc for so long with no results. You can call your ob/gyn and see if they will do anything (did you find one after you moved?) or you can do another test in a day or two to confirm. Keep us updated!!!

edit: oops - just saw a post of yours I missed. If they will do it for free, I'd go in and get the b/w done, just for your confirmation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

The blood tests are quantitative and can detect hcg earlier than your first missed period.  Your doctor will get a number telling how much hcg or the concentration of hcg there is in your blood.  The POAS tests are qualitative and tell you whether or not there is hcg in your urine.  False positives are rare b/c it's just telling you whether or not there is hcg in your urine.  If it's there, the line will be there.  If it's not there, the line won't be. (The hcg is binding to something on the stick that changes color--if nothing binds to it, there's no color change.)  False negatives are more common b/c  of people testing to early, etc. 

Many docs will do the blood test just to see what your hcg levels are, and then you'll go back in a day or two for a second one to make sure they're rising at the rate they need to for a sustainable pregnancy.

If you got a positive, you're probably pregnant.  The blood test will just confirm it and give  your doctor a number.

Congratulations!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When a blood test or another POAS test is negative subsequently to a clear positive POAS result it's usually (if not always) due to a chemical pregnancy and catching the HcG level at just the right time before the levels drop below detectable levels.  False positives are very rare.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks. I did call my doctor, but the stupid appointment line is down until 2 on the second Thursday of every month for training so I can't call until later today.

I don't have an OB/GYN yet. The annoying thing is I saw the dr on Monday to get referrals to an allergist and podiatrist.  I didn't think I'd need anything else b/c I was getting typical AF symptoms (still have them in fact).  My mom is in town next week so if I can't swing by a clinic tomorrow for a test it's going to have to wait till the following week. 

I'm not telling DH until I get a doctor's confirmation, so I'd rather do that sooner than later. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I have little to add about the accuracy of the POAS tests that hasn't already been said...a false positive is EXTREMELY rare, and a line that pops up as clearly and as quickly as you indicated would most likely not be an evaporation line or mistakable.  I would say go ahead and get the blood test if it will help it feel more real, but I think congratulations are in order.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

ALF, try to get that b/w in then after 2. I couldn't hold off telling DH - I literally walked into the bedroom and woke him up to show him the stick (and he's not a morning person so he was totally confused). Congrats!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

He's traveling on business and is due back tonight.  I really don't think telling him over the phone is appropriate, although I did almost call him.  I didn't want him to jump around like an idiot in the middle of a meeting, though.  :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

You are right - it's not a phone conversation. :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

ALF!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'll say in my experience that they are very accurate.  When I got my BFP, I may have used three tests, b/c I am slightly insane.  The first was a digital and it popped up right away, then two of the pink kind ... I will say the lines were very faint, which was b/c my hCG levels were so low.  So if you got a pronounced blue line and that kind of response time, my friend, I think you may have a BFP on your hands!!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

You know, I might just walk in.  You just need a blood test, not to see the MD.  At least get the ball rolling ... what's the worst that happens, you wait in chairs a bit? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Getting the test right this second will ensure she gets another positive result because right now there's enough HcG in her blood to have been detected by the test she just took.  For real confirmation that the pg is holding for the first few days, she should those few days, anyway.  Otherwise, it's a false sense of confirmation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

kar--you are right, of course, but most docs in my experience will not just base it on a single blood test.  They will want her to come in again in a day or two for a 2nd test to find out if the hcg #s are increasing at the expected rate.  So this test will confirm the HPT and give a number.  The second test will give a 2nd (hopefully higher) number to compare to the first.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

ALF, I think you're pregnant!  Congrats!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good point, Daisy, I totally didn't think of that!  (I just didn't want anyone to mistake a second positive test on the same day as true confirmation.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

A second will confirm that things are progressing the way they should be, but even with the first one you get hCG levels, and if they're at a certain level, you will at least have, as Daisy put it, a quantitative result.  I'd still get a follow-up, but that's me.  In my case, my MD only recommended it b/c my first draw was showing such low numbers. 

Regardless, ALF, I think you're pregnant!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, guys. I'm not going to just wander in - it's a military clinic and I don't feel like hanging around forever if I don't have an appt. I'm going to call in a bit [you have to call an appt line to get the appt; you don't call the dr's office] and see if they can get me something tomorrow.  Waiting a few extra days doesn't really bother me.  If it's a false positive, I'm sure I'll figure it out in a few days.  If it's a positive  positive, well, I have about 9 months to acclimate myself to that fact.  :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Stupid appointment line. I finally got through to  someone and apparently my clinic has a 'preference' that you wait 14 days after AF was due before you get tested.  They said I could just go in and say I wanted the test done, but now of course, I have to think about it.  Probably makes sense to make an appt w/ the doctor for the week after next [after my mom leaves] so that I can get an OB/GYN referral and then have the test done at that time.  Argh. 

God, I could really use a drink.  lol.  They were 'in training' all day till 2 so of course I've been calling for 20 minutes, punching buttons to get through to various parts of the menu only to be told 'we are in training until 2, etc, sorry for the inconvenience' with me bellowing into the phone 'it's after 2, pick up!'. Fortunately, it's an automated line and I'm home alone. .....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

ALF, hope you're doing okay with this possibility...I know that you have been on the fence about kids and were okay with the idea of not getting pregnant, so this must have been a bit of a shock. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Hey, congrats! I'd say a positive pg test is a positive pg test. You could take a second test to be sure. When I called with a positive home test, my doc said there was no need to come in for a blood test unless I REALLY wanted it. I think they consider that confirmation enough.

RHM, I did the same thing! DH hadn't had his coffee yet and was totally confused :-)