How long on pill for?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Re: How long on pill for?

I was on the pill for 13 years and got off the pill in January of this year.    I mainly went on the pill because I  hvae irregular and painful cycles which have come back since being off the pill.  Plus, I have not gotten pg yet so I can help with the second part of your question...sorry.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

2007 are your cycles normal?   I am not pg, but was on the pill for 10-11 years like you. I've been off the pill for 5 mon and my cycles are not normal yet, still waiting on that one....

Have you seen a doctor? I would check in with yours and they can do some tests, you're almost at a year so I think you should make an appointment.  Have you been charting at all? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

My cycles are pretty normal now every 29 days, they weren't right away when I went off the pill (or when I was 17, the reason I went on the pill in the first place), but they have been clockwork for the past several months. I'm just wondering if there is a connection between the number of years of being on the pill and the reason why we're still not pg.
    I guess it is almost that time to go to the doctor. I thought that maybe if others were on the pill for 10+ years and got pregnant within the first year, it would make me feel better.  My mom said it took her a full year to get pg with her first...so i was waiting for that year to see whats next, but DH is getting frustrated every month.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I was on the pill for 12 years, then got pregnant 5 moths after being off. 

Were you regular before you went on the pill? I'd see your doctor just to ease your mind on things.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

2007, I went on the pill at 17 and went off at 26.  My cycles were really long when I first went off the pill (over 40 days a couple times), but they went back to normal after about 6 months.  I got pregnant 8 months after being off.

I think it takes most people awhile for their bodies to adjust after going off the pill, but like the others said I would definitely check with your doctor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

Kam and Pugs - your stories make me feel better. Thank you for sharing!!

Pugs - I had a couple 40 day cycles when I first came off, then they became more and more normal. Now, 29 seems like the magic number.

Thank you guys, I think after my next AF I'll make the appointment with my doctor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

2007; I've read there's no correlation despite some controversy.   Here's an excerpt of the source I'll post the link to below:

Pregnancy After the Pill
    There is no reason to worry about becoming pregnant after you stop taking the pill. The pill will in no way affect your fertility and more than 90% of pill-users become pregnant within a year of coming off the pill. This being said, it does take some women longer to become pregnant after stopping the pill.

Here's the whole article from pregnancy-info.net:
    Fertility and the Pill

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

Thank you Kar! The article is helpful and I'm hoping any day now since it has been 9 months since we started TTC, 12 months of being off the pill. Thank you all for being so helpful! :)

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

some-guy, can't you go back to kicking puppies and knocking canes out from under grannies or whatever it is you do when you're not on here being a total jerk for absolutely no reason? Thanks in advance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

I was on the pill for a little over 10 years, from 19-29, went off in March of 09, started trying in July 09 and got pregnant that month.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

And, think about how many babies have been born because mommy forgot one pill in the pack!  Whoops!

That-guy, reincarnated as some-guy, has been roving around this morning making trouble everywhere.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I was on for 10 years, off for about 6 mos before pg with #1, back on for a little over a year, then off for about 3 mos for this round with #2.  Have you considered an OPK 2007?  I will swear by those strips.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I was on the pill for about 11-12 years before stopping the month before I got married.  From the first period after I stopped taking it, it came every 28 days.  We started trying to to get pregnant, right away and it took 6 months.  DH and I both thought at the time it was because of the pill.  I went back on the pill after having DD and stopped again this past January to prepare to have baby #2. Low and behold I got pregnant before even having a period. It ended in etopic. Since then I dont think the reason It took 6 months to get pregnant the first time was becasue of the pill. I am 100% confident that I was thinking too hard, trying everything, and reading too much about how to get pregnant.   I think if we would have just had fun and let it be it might have happend a lot faster.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

MM - I think I've done the OPK's twice. But willing to give it another go.
    Quad - I keep telling my DH to relax, but he's finding it hard to do when everyone around him seems to be popping out kids faster than he can say his name. I think you're right though, its not fun with all this pressure.
    Thanks you guys! I always feel better after writing. ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Good luck 2007!  And now that i think about it, I am starting to get confused, I think I was off the pill for 3 mos before we started trying, so maybe 9 mos total before #1?  I can't believe I'm starting to forget all this... something that occupied my every thought for so many months!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

Thank you MM! I know, feels like that's all I think about and talk about. Thanks for clarifying your journey!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from momofatoddler. Show momofatoddler's posts

I became pregnant with older child within 4 months of stopping the pill after about 8-9 years of use, but I wasn't trying for the first two months. Essentially I got pregnant the second month. While everyone is different, my OB told me that some women are hyper-fertile after coming off the pill and I have multiple friends who became pregnant immediately.

It's your call, but I would start talking to my OB-GYN if it has been 10 months.  Health insurance in MA will cover testing for fertility issues. My OB is open to testing after 6 months for women under 35.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I was on for about 12 years and got pregnant 2 months after I went off.  It must be a very individual thing. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alto2. Show Alto2's posts

I was on the pill for about 14 years non-stop. I've been TTC for 9 months/12 cycles.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Can I tell you what I am really nervous about when I want to start trying? I have been on Seasonique for 3 years now (and before that, on the pill since I was 17), I am 27 now. I am on Seasonique (the pill where you only get your period 4x a year), because when I do get my period, I get such bad migraines that I literally couldn't function in society, and after trying so many things (migraine medicine, food changed, etc), my doctors and I finally realized that it had to do with my menstrual cycles. Anyway, so even though my OB-GYN says that it will not at all effect my chances of getting pregnant, I still really worry about it.

Sorry to post on the TTC boards, even though I am not, but it is sometimes on my mind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I went off the pill after oh, most of my adult life I guess, and was pregnant almost immediately. I think I saved up all those unused eggs and they dropped at the same time or something.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I thought most of the stats re the pill affecting your ability to immediately get pg once you stopped taking them were from the 70s or at least were pretty old before they changed the hormone composition?  You are supposed to get it out of your system once you stop taking it now.

That being said, I was on for 5 - 5.5 years before I went off.  P/g and m/c.  I don't think that being on the pill should be affecting your ability to get pg unless you went on it for some reason other than simply preventing pg.  However, I do agree w/ that_guy or whatever he's calling himself these days - if you think you are having a problem b/c of it, go make a dr's appt and rule it out.  Your body is unique. You are not a widget!  Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Peonie- sorry about the migraines. That is no fun.  I don't think you will have to worry about the pill affecting your chances of getting pg, but you will have to see what happens with your migraines once you are off the pill.  You won't know till you cross the bridge!  Once you start thinking about it down the road I would ask your dr. about trying new migraine options that are okay to take when your pg.  One thing I have heard that the hormones can cause many headaches and even people who did not usually get them before being pg can get them.  It is good that you are starting thinking about these things ahead of time.  Sorry that I am not much help...