How Long to Wait After MC?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KD183. Show KD183's posts

How Long to Wait After MC?

Hello,  I'm new to the board, but have been lurking for some time!  I recently had a MC in August and am wondering how long to wait before TTC?  I have heard a lot of variations from as soon as my 1st cycle to six months.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: How Long to Wait After MC?

Hi KD -

Sorry about your m/c.....Did your dr give you any time frame?  My dr said to start trying again as soon as I felt ready.  I think if you are unsure, just give the dr's office a call and see what they say.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmieC. Show AmieC's posts

I'm sorry about your m/c- they are awful. How far along were you- Did you have to have a D&C? If you didn't have to have a D&C, you can probably try when you are ready- if you did, your ob will probably tell you when it's safe (when the tissue from the m/c is completely gone). My ob said whenever I felt ready was fine. Good luck :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I think you’re asking more from a physical than an emotional standpoint (although I’m not a doctor), so here goes: I had a MC in early September at about seven weeks (got my BFP in August).  My doctor had me come in for a follow-up blood test to make sure I didn’t need a D&C (I didn’t) and basically said we could try again right away.  I chose to wait out the next cycle to see if things returned to normal, which they did, although my cycle was about week longer than is the norm.  We’re back on the TTC train now – I feel ready – although I’m not charting or anything too scientific.   I believe if you had a D&C you have to wait for a certain period of time, but if your body took care of things naturally, then you can start trying again whenever you feel ready.   Having said that, ask your doctor for his/her advice.  I chose to take a cycle “off” and I’m glad I did – I had some residual emotional gut-kicks that I’m glad I went through before TTC.  But everyone’s different.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I'm not a doctor, but I have had a miscarriage and did a lot of reading about the topic.  It seems like the general consensus is that if you had a natural miscarriage and the pregnancy was shorter than 8 weeks or so, that you are safe from a physiological perspective to try again right away.  A lot of sources say that women are actually more fertile immediately following a miscarriage.

If you had to have a D&C or if you were further along (8-12 wks), doctors usually recommend waiting at least one cycle.  Some will suggest waiting for at least the length of time that you were pregnant in order to aid in the mental healing process too. For example, if you were pregnant for 12 wks, you would wait three months before trying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KD183. Show KD183's posts

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I'm sorry to those of you with similar experiences.  I'm going to call my dr. tomorrow and see what she says.  She probably mentioned right after the MC when we can try again, but that was a tough time and don't recall what she said.  It was a natural MC at around 5 weeks w/no D&C.  Emotionally, I think I'm ready, but want to make sure I am physically!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LovinLife12. Show LovinLife12's posts

Sorry for your loss.  I had a MC back in May at 8wks.  It had taken us 7months of trying to get to that point.  I didn't need a D&C and my doctor told us to wait for one cyle and then we could start trying again.  I got pregnant as soon as we tried again and I'm at 19 wks now.