How Many Days?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS08. Show MrsS08's posts

How Many Days?

Good morning ladies.  I got the smiley face on the OPK test on Sunday and was just wondering how many more days should we BD?  We BD'ed on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  The kit says to BD 24-48 hours from the day you get the smiley face.  So, that would have been Sunday and Monday.  Does that include today (Tuesday) also?  I'm hoping we've covered the most important days. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Re: How Many Days?

Hi MrsS08... I would say, just do it one more time to make sure!  I have no real knowledge on the issue - just figure it's a small price to pay if you want to boost your chances and it can't hurt.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS08. Show MrsS08's posts

Ha ha, that's what I figured! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mrs, every other day is most effective.  If you BD every single day sperm count goes down dramatically.

You won't be missing any windows of conception, either, because eggs live 12 - 24 hours, and sperm lives at least 2 days.  So, on your "off" days, you can still conceive just as easily.

So, to answer your question, you've already got Tuesday covered by today's togetherness. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

Kar, I think there are a lot of different views as to the every day or every other, it's not a blanket recommendation for everyone.  Based on my DHs counts our RE suggested everyday, and I think for guys with normal counts everyday is fine.  I also read an article (link below) that includes a study where it seems sperm quality is better with everyday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31662826/ns/health-sexual_health/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Antimony!  I had no idea there was variability in that "rule."  I'll have to tell DH. ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

One thing lots of doctors kind of gloss over - if you want the maximum chance of getting pregnant, start 3 days before you are ovulating and continue at least every other day, or every day if you want, until at least 3 days after ovulation.  Most active viable sperm live 2-3 days, and 3-5 is not uncommon, particularly for young healthy men.  If you limit yourself to the 2-3 days charts show you are ovulating, you are missing 2/3 of your opportunities to get pregnant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS08. Show MrsS08's posts

We BD'ed Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon.  I got the smiley face on the OPK kit on Sun.  My DH had a work thing we had to attend Tues night that didn't get us home until 12:30 AM so we were to tired on Tues to BD.  Now I'm worried we didn't BD enough after. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have you processed that sperm live for days?  I would think that would put your mind at ease about "missing" Tuesday.  You didn't miss it - there were many healthy sperm around 24 hours after Monday's BD.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

don't worry, after I had a few miscarriages, my doctor actually told me to concentrate more on bding in the days prior to O.  that even though it's a long shot, there may be some slight benefit to the egg being 'fresher' when it gets fertilized, and the sperm can be hanging around waiting for it to be released.  so I bd'd in the 3-4 days up to and including peak, but not the day after, and it worked for me.  good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I think worrying when TTC is valid and it's not a matter of getting it.  It can be an emotional thing and there will always something you are going to worry about it.  I think you covered your bases and worrying at this point won't help.  Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS08. Show MrsS08's posts

Where I'm confused is how would you know within the 24-48 hrs after the smiley face that you're ovulating?  I got the smiley face on the OPK on Sunday morning so technically we BD'ed two times during ovulation timeframe.  Or are you actually ovulating when you get the smiley face for 24-48 hours?  Oy...so much to grasp here, lol.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Re: How Many Days?:
    Where I'm confused is how would you know within the 24-48 hrs after the smiley face that you're ovulating?  I got the smiley face on the OPK on Sunday morning so technically we BD'ed two times during ovulation timeframe.  Or are you actually ovulating when you get the smiley face for 24-48 hours?  Oy...so much to grasp here, lol.
    Posted by MrsS08

MrsS08 -     I have never used a smiley face brand.  But every method of charts, temps and chemical tests reflect the hormonal changes as the egg is released, & travels down the Fallopian tubes to the uterus, which takes a few hours or a lot of hours (days) depending on the person, the tube which may have some scarring etc..
        To TTC, consider that any sperm that get there in the 3 days before it starts can get you pregnant, any during that 2 days can get you pregnant, and because the egg is still at peak readiness for at least 3 days, any sperm then can come late to the party and do the job.  7 to 8 good days to get sperm in you .
         This is why charts or records of past months tests are the most useful in telling you when mating should start,  because it should start 3 days before you  see a change that says  "ovulating going on".

Ever get directions for someplace in the middle of nowhere, where every thing looks alike, or  a rural place with loads of tiny driveway openings hidden in  surrounding bushes? 
    They say, if you get to the church (or stop sign, or purple barn) you have gone too far?

Well, if you get a smiley face, do it, but also write it on a calendar or chart, along with your start and stop of bleeding for your period.  In coming months, you know about when to start to get in that extra 3 days sperm before the ovulation.  Makes it more likely to get pregnant since you can have a whole crowd of still good sperm there, not just 1 or 2 samples.

Any single month or period can be very different from most, if you are worried, sick, etc.  But most months, if you usually get a smiley face 12 (or whatever) days after you started bleeding from the month before,  then most months you know when 3 days before smiley face will be.  Most women, most periods, follow a pattern which charting helps you learn.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But sometimes getting it makes dealing with the emotional part of it easier...it does for me, anyway, I'm a stats girl with a math degree so strange things comfort me, I guess.  I forget not everyone responds that way! :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS08. Show MrsS08's posts

Hi ladies.  I took a test yesterday and got a BFP!!  We're beside ourselves right now but being cautious.  AF isn't even late.  She's not even due until Tues/Wed.  I just had this feel all week that I was.  DH and I were supposed to go to a party last night and I had a couple of glasses of wine on Friday night so we decided to take the test just in case.  We used the test that says Pregnant or Not Pregnant so there was no mistaking a light or dark line.  I took it again this morning just to make sure, haha.   We went out last night and bought the book, What to Expect When You're Expected and read that 70% of early detected pregnancies result in chemical pregnancies which result in miscarriage.  So, we're keeping our fingers crossed.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Congrats MRS S08!  That is great news!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

congrats!  that is so great.  keeping our fingers crossed for you.

how many days post ovulation did you test?  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wishing the best for you Mrs!  I know a lot of TTC couples who have fallen into the 70%, though, so as hard as it might be, keep trying very hard to hold the excitement in check 'til at least your scheduled visit from AF has passed.

Keep us posted!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS08. Show MrsS08's posts

Thanks everyone.  AF is due on Wednesday so I'm certainly hoping she doesn't rear her evil head!!  The past couple of days I've had the worst breast pain!  I'm sure this isn't close to how bad it could get.  Bring it on, I'm ready!

Stefani2 - I got the smiley face on 7/12 so I guess we'll just use that day for ovulation so I took the hpt 13 days after the 12th. 

Sections
Shortcuts