HSG Test

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookiesandbrownies. Show cookiesandbrownies's posts

HSG Test

Hi everyone,
    I just found out that I have to have an HSG test (to see if my tubes are blocked).  Has anyone here had that done and is there any inside info you can tell me about it? I am a little apprehensive. Should I plan to take time off work and should I prep (mentally, physically) in any way?
    Thank you to whoever chimes in!!!
    Hope everyone is well on this HOT Monday morning :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

Re: HSG Test

different people have different experiences, but for me it was absolutely nothing to worry about.  I was nervous, and I had been told to take Advil about 30min beforehand, which I did, and is probably a good idea.  But it truly did not hurt at all, and only took a couple minutes.  I went back to work afterwards, and really didn't even have cramps that I recall.  maybe light AF type cramps, if anything.  bring a light pad to wear after b/c some of the fluid drains out slowly.  there was about 2 seconds where I thought, this is uncomfortable, just when the catheter was put in, but it was over before I knew it.  and definitely not pain, just an odd feeling.  the dye did not hurt at all, I only knew it was happening by looking at the screen.  just try to stay as relaxed as possible, it's not much worse than have a pelvic exam/pap.  but do take Advil and bring a pad to wear later, that's about all i would suggest.  You may want to take the rest of the day off, to relax and process what you find out - but if you can't get the time off, don't sweat it.  physically, you should feel okay.  good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

People have varying experiences w/ an HSG. I was in excruciating pain.  Seriously, I could not breathe I was in so much pain.  They had to reduce the amount of air or whatever it is that they inflate the tubes with so that I could breathe.  The doctor was a real jerk about it too -saying that I had to lie still b/c if they can't inflate them they can't get a read on the  test, etc. I took Advil, but it did nothing for me re pain.  I was expecting it to feel like a tiny pinch - like on a pelvic exam- b/c everyone told me it was nothing.  This was not a tiny pinch; it seriously felt like my insides were being ripped out from the inside out.  I was nauseated afterwards too and dizzy with chills. I had to lie on the table afterwards w/ a blanket. I was spotting afterwards too, but that didn't phase me.   My DH drove me and good thing b/c I would not have been able to drive afterwards.  I would def. take someone w/ you, or take public transportation. 

I don't want to scare you, but I was totally unprepared for the pain I experienced b/c everyone I talked to [and on here] said it was nothing.  I generally have a decent pain tolerance too.  I had a vaginal ultrasound and had no problem, but between the HSG and the endometrial biopsy pain, I am ready for an epidural the second I go into labor [if I ever get pg].  lol. ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i just had an hsg a week ago.  it felt like a normal pap smear at first, with a little pressure/cramping, and then the only bad part (for me) was when they injected the dye, which was like a prolonged cramp - like an ice cream headache in the uterus.  but then when it was over it felt like after an ice cream headache - i.e. extreme relief.  the bad part lasted probably 5-8 seconds.  try not to worry too much - it will be over before you know it, and the good thing is, you get your probable results right away!  oh, and i felt totally fine as soon as it was over - no after-effects.  hth!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

ETA - maybe the ice cream headache part was the balloon catherer.  i don't remember - i am not the type to watch.  anyway - hope it goes smoothly for you. 

(Alf - yikes!!!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

cookies - I didn't find the HSG to be that terrible, but it was uncomfortable for about a minute. I took 2 Advil before I did it. The only part that bothered me was when the put the tube in. Once they were putting the fluid in, I was able to just watch it on the screen with maybe mild discomfort. To me, the uncomfortable part felt like cramps, but didn't take long. I was able to go home afterwards and had no problems.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I didn't find the HSG too bad either.   Like everyone else said take the advil before.  I would best describe it as uncomfortable and it doesn't last very long.  Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I will add that it is cool to see the images on the monitor.

I remember lying there saying to myself 'those lying boobs!  They told me it wouldn't hurt'.  I think if I had anticipated some pain, I might not have been so shocked and surprised.  Obviously, I lived, lol, and hopefully you'll have a better experience. I don't know that I've talked to anyone [on here or in real life] who had the experience that I had.  I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookiesandbrownies. Show cookiesandbrownies's posts

thank you so much everyone!! I don't personally know anyone who has had this done, so it's nice to hear from all of you to know that I am not alone.  it doesn't sound so bad - I have to admit, I had to skip past the last bit of alf's because I didn't want to get too freaked out! I am so sorry you had that experience - it sounds terrible! Hopefully, I will have an non-eventful experience!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I blame the craptastic doctor that I had.  I hated that guy and am so glad he left the practice.  Any test that I've had done w/ anyone else in that practice has been so much better.  If there was any pain, they let you know in advance that it would hurt.  Seriously, that doctor was such a jerk.  I did a little dance of joy when I got the letter that he was leaving the practice and to call to get assigned to a different doctor. 

I hope you have an easy test.  Good luck!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

cookie - I do not have a high pain tolerance at all.  It just wasn't painful.  I drove myself, DH did not come, and I drove back to work afterwards.  just realize that it is a standard test for a fertility workup, so lots of people have it done.  if it was that bad, they would be giving prescriptions for something stronger than advil, so don't worry about it.  I hope you see good results!

alf - wow, thank goodness you don't have to deal with that guy anymore!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mary1800. Show Mary1800's posts

Mine was awful. I actually had to go to have it done twice because they tried about five times to set everything up the first time and it kept popping out because my insides were so jazzed up nervous. The second time I went they had me take a Dizepam in advance and then it was no problem because it relaxed my insides. If you get really nervous, I would recommend you tell the doc ahead of time and he will probably prescribe something for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

My experience was probably in between Alf's and the others who said it wasn't too bad.  I got some pretty bad cramping during and afterward, and I actually bled quite a bit (for about 2 hours after), which doesn't seem like that is normal, so I wouldn't worry about it.  I do have 1 blocked tube and I had heard that if there is a blocked tube(s) it can often times be more painful.  Not sure if there is any truth to that at all, but that's what I heard.

Goodluck!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I had a negative HSG exam [meaning there was no blockage] so I think whether it hurts or not depends on the person and possibly the skill of the doctor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

I had one!  The part where they released the liquid hurt quite a bit - but only for a couple of seconds - and then it went away entirely and I went back to feeling normal for the rest of the day.

Besides, having one done can sometimes clear out the "cob webs" in your tubes and help some women get pregnant!  I had mine done and two months later, I was pregnant!  :)

Think of it that way - and you'll be happy go through it!  Best of luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

ooh, jessica - now i'm getting my hopes up re: cleaning out the cobwebs!  ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

oh yeah, my fertility workup was b/c I had miscarriages, not trouble ttc per se - but, my doctor told me the same thing (it's like rotorouter for your tubes)...  and I got pregnant right after my hsg.  the test was on cd12, so I was literally pregnant like 3 days later.  so I think there is definitely something to that theory.  good luck!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ERPT. Show ERPT's posts

Hi
    I am an x-ray technologist that performs HSG almost weekly.  Every woman is different, some say that it is extremely painful well others are not bothered by the pain.  If you are very nervous I think it will definitely effect the exam because you will tense up.  Also it seems to be more painful for women that have not given birth, I think because their cervix is tighter.  The best thing about this test is that it is relatively quick, and the pain if any is usually gone once the test is over.  I do not think this is something that requires the day to be taken off of work, but if you are going to receive the results that maybe upsetting to you, you my want to consider taking the day off.
    Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from flaxen. Show flaxen's posts

Jessica,

My ER said the same thing - HSGs sometimes do have unintended theraputic results, as the dye forces some blockages to clear.  The pain I experienced during mine was the strongest when they gave a little extra "push" with the dye in my right tube to try to clear the blockage.  It didn't work for me, unfortunately, but many others have had success.

And my test was late in an afternoon, but I was certainly NOT expecting to hear "hydrosalpinx" from the doctor that day.  If I had returned to work after that, it would not have been a productive day.  Food for thought, Stefani2...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookiesandbrownies. Show cookiesandbrownies's posts

thank you to everyone for your replies! I had my test done yesterday and, although it was painful for a brief moment, the pain subsided as soon as it was over.  I took the next day off simply because the whole thing was just a little emotionally taxing more than anything.  I definately got nerved up for it and it was nice to take time for myself to process everything.  I am happy to say that my results were good - as far as I know.  My tubes are not blocked...which I guess is good news, but has anyone else thought to themselves, "well, if my tubes are not blocked then what the heck is the problem!?".  that's not to say that I am not grateful for the good news - I AM very grateful - just a little curious about what is in store for me.  I am a firm believer that it's all part of a greater plan (of which I have no control) so I have to believe that there is a reason why it's taken so long...wow, I am rambling!
    My point is - thank you for your time in responding to my question and making me feel like I was not alone before going into the hospital...I thought of y'all while I was in the waiting room!
    I will keep you posted - hopefully this is just what we needed...Jessica, your post was particularly fun to read!!!! Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

that's great news about your hsg, cookies.  I completely understand that feeling when test results come back good/normal - you are partially relieved, but also wish they found something 'wrong' that could be fixed.  but it is definitely a good thing that your tubes and uterus are as they should be.  glad the procedure wasn't too painful for you, and here's hoping that a good clearing was all you needed!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

This is all good info - so I am bumping it up a little bit. I had no idea this test might in and of itself help the situation - or that I can get a basic result so quickly. I guess I should be reading up on this a bit more. Can you believe my office has information about fertility blocked as "sex?" Thank goodness for good, wholesome BDC forums!

Thanks also for the heads up and possible scenarios, ALF. I'm going to the test tomorrow morning, and I was going to go by myself but I think I will bring DH just in case.

Fingers (hopefully not tubes!) crossed!

Sections
Shortcuts