Infertility Workup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beachgal68. Show beachgal68's posts

Infertility Workup

Officially TTC, and I have to have a (insurance mandated) HSG. Does anyone have any tips or input? Is the test painful, can I return to work the same day, etc? Thanks for any insight!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Re: Infertility Workup

I'm sorry you're having to go through this workup. I had the HSG done last year. It wasn't pleasant. I think the recommend taking Advil an hour before the test and that's not a bad suggestion. Getting set up for the test is uncomfortable at best. In my case, the tubing fell out when they scooted me up from the edge of the table and I had to go through it again. Then they push the fluid pretty forcefully. The lab tech assisting was trying to distract me by making small talk, but it didn't work. I did go back to work right after but I kind of felt like I'd gotten punched in the stomach all day.

If I had to do it again, I think I would have had DH come with me and I would have taken the rest of the day off from work. Not that you *need* either, but I think I would have preferred a hand to squeeze and then to spend the rest of the day in sweatpants on the couch. But that's just me! Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

People have mixed experiences. Some say no pain.  I had excruciating pain, like someone was stabbing me in the gut w/ a knife and twisting it around.  I nearly broke the nurse's hand, I was squeezing so hard; she had to pry me off. I had bleeding afterwards and, had I not worked that day, would not have been able to go back to work. I was dizzy and nauseated afterwards. I had been expecting the 'small pinch and then nothing' that everyone else I knew who had had this had experienced.  Plan for the the worst and hope for the best. 

On the plus side, seeing your insides on the screen is pretty interesting. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissGirl. Show MissGirl's posts

Hi beachgal -  I had an HSG recently, in my experience I would say it was more uncomfortable than painful.  I did not have any blockages or anything, which I'm sure was a factor.  I also had a lab tech chatting to keep my mind off of the procedure, and the dr gave me the option of having him narrate the process or just do it, which I found helpful (for the record, I chose chatting and not naratting!)  I took an advil beforehand and returned to work afterwards. I would compare the feeling afterwards to dull menstrual cramps, not too bad.  I brought my husband with me, and although he wasnt allowed in the room with me (I think this varies by location- where I was they said the room was too small) I would still recommend having someone with you.  They will give you your results on the spot, and good news or bad I found the experience surprisingly emotional/stressful, and was relieved to have some support afterwards.  Hope this helps, good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

I had to have mine done twice. The first time my cervix was stenotic and they couldn't get the catheter in. The pain for that session was not something I'd care to repeat.

When they redid the test, they gave me a script to take beforehand to loosen things up (I think it was like mucinex? I don't remember it was two years ago). They were able to get the catheter in the for the dye and I swear, I nearly jumped off the table. It was really, really uncomfortable but as far as a comparison to the first attempt, it wasn't so awful.

I took the day off for the first attempt and I'm really glad I did, but I worked from home the second time. They gave me a week in between attempts, so I had time to mentally prepare myself for the second time. I had no idea what to expect when I first went in. The advil helped and I did feel crampy afterwards. I had some slight bleeding, but it was more like what I'd get at the end of my period than anything else.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Mine was totally fine, but I also had no blockages. I took the prescribed Advil beforehand. There was a 'pinch' when the catheter goes in but other than that I had no issues with it.  They will give you a pad but if you don't want the bulky 'hospital' pads bring your own.  You will be leaky afterwards.

I had no issue and could have gone to work no problem (I had the day off for other reasons).

Unfortunately it seems like people's experiences are totally across the board on this one from what I've read.  Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Not sure why I  can't edit.

I had no blockages, so all that pain was for nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beachgal68. Show beachgal68's posts

Thank you all for your input! This is my second time with fertility treatments, I have a 2 year old DD. I am not sure if it new insurance regulations or just changes in the past few years, but it seems that this time the insurance company is making alot of demands for work up testing, when in fact, both my RE and OBGYN are pretty sure my only problem is irregular cycles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

If you had your DD vaginally, there will probably be a lot less pain because your cervix will already be a little open. I'd still take the Advil, but I think it will be easier for you. I had to go through the whole workup to and my problem was PCOS, so I'm right there with you. Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Hi All,

I'm restarting this thread - anyone else going through an infertility workup at the moment?  I've noticed recently the boards have really quieted - where is everyone going to chat, I think I need to chat with other ladies going through this.

Anyway, I had my HSG today, no blockages, and luckily I barely experienced any pain at all.  I'm on the verge of crampy now, but don't think I'd think anything of it at the moment if I wasn't being hyper-aware.  I've had pretty severe pain from endometriosis though which I think has helped me become super tolerant to pain over time.  I sympathize with you ladies who experienced anything severe though, who needs one more thing on top of all of the other uncomfortable stuff we are all going through.

On that note, I'm 32 and found out during my CD3 US that my ACF is only 6 total.  I'm doing this for PGD to avoid a genetic disease that I carry, and now I'm very nervous this whole thing won't work at all.  My FSH is 8.2, so that's creeping up as well and I just can't believe I've got these issues.  Anyone else have any experience here?  Thanks all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissGirl. Show MissGirl's posts

Hi Fakin -  I'm glad your HSG went well.  I dont have any experience with the Day 3 results numbers, hopefully they are numbers you can work with.  I just wanted to chime in since you commented on how quiet is over here to recommend reading the forums over at tcoyf.com as well as here.  It is a very active and supportive group over there with women dealing with all kinds of situations.  I usually read along there when I need to fuel my TTC obsessiveness :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Thank you so much MissGirl, I appreciate it!  I'll definitely visit and register.