IUI - sp*rm question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

IUI - sp*rm question

hi - i'm gearing up for IUI (with clomid) and the hospital guidelines say to abstain from intercourse 2-3 days before IUI but no longer than 6 days.  first, i have no way to predict when the big O on clomid is going to happen, so not sure how i'm going to accomplish this - any ideas?  second, DH is an avid bicycle rider - he does grueling 3 hour workouts on the bike.  since i can't continue clomid indefinitely, i'm worried this is going to negatively impact his sp*rm for the big days on IUI.  does anyone know whether i should worry about this?  i'm wondering if he should ej*cul*te every day or something just to get rid of any dead sp*rm as a result of the riding.  but this goes against the guidelines of abstaining before IUI.  ???  help! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: IUI - sp*rm question

Talk to your dr about your DH's biking passion.  From everything I've read, men biking [the general pressure as well as wearing bike shorts/pants] can be the cause of a couple's infertility.  Passion or not, if you are undergoing invasive or expensive fertility treatments, he may have to give up his biking until you get pg.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Hi Stefani,

I don't know anything about IUI, but I would think they'd be giving you more guidance in this area.  When I was on clomid, the RE told me that if I took clomid on day x, I should ovulate between day y and z.  It SHOULD be more predictable than what you're accustomed to b/c of the PCOS.  You might want to put a call in to the doc or a nurse at the place you're going.

I know it's different, but can't they/don't they monitor your ovaries w/ultrasound to get a feel for when you're ovulating (again--no personal experience) like they do for IVF?  I guess I always figured they would, bc it seems like they wouldn't want to be completely in the dark/relying on guesses for already-unpredictable cycles for something like this.

Also...ditto what ALF said about the biking.  Out of curiosity, has he had an SA?  And if so, had he been bike riding as per his normal routine beforehand?  If he did, and everything came back "normal," you/he may be ok.  If he laid off the biking for a few days beforehand, the results are probably not accurate and he should be mindful of that.  Getting rid of dead sperm really shouldn't be an issue.  You just want to maximize the live sperm and biking won't help with that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're going to those lengths to get pg, he needs to do his part and lay off the bike.  Your proposed solution won't be effective from what I've read on the subject, like ALF and Daisy said, too.