January TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Re: January TTC

ml.... how did it work out???  Fingers crossed you have been too excited to update us!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Nope, negative - as suspected. This is fine with me as I really wanted to know our risks and will be discussing this with my OB team on Monday at our preconception appointment.

So something else bad is going on, and of course my doctor's office is out to lunch. I swear, if I ever manage a doctor's office, I'm going to require phone coverage during lunch hours!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Congrats Cici!  Sounds like your Dad has sent this baby to you. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I agree Cici, You are doubly blessed, a BFP and this baby has a very special angel looking out for him or her!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks everyone! This timing does make it extra special and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sticks.

ml - That does not sound good! How are you feeling now? Did you get in touch with the doctor again?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

WPP - I'm glad your mom kept trying. :)  Your post brought me to tears!

Congrats, Cici!  Try not to worry too much, but those early days can be stressful, I know.

ML - I hope all is ok and whatever is going on is easily remedied...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, try not to worry too much about m/c, although way easier said than done. I worried SO much in the beginning and every time I felt even a trickle down there I would run to the bathroom to check for blood, extreme, I know....

I am 11 weeks tomorrow and I STILL worry about something happening. I will be so happy when I hit the 13th week mark. There is way more chance that everything will be perfectly fine than not, so try to think of it that way.

How many weeks are you, do you know yet? Just to warn you, the first trimester CRAWLS....at least it has for me...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it's 12 that you can breath a sigh of relief, liz, statistically speaking.  Something significant happens at 12 weeks, but I can't remember what...  Anyway, 80% of m/c happen before 12 weeks.

ETA:  ml, sorry to hear of your medical issue; hope you can get it taken care of pronto with little fuss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Wow Liz, congrats on making it to 11 weeks already! That seemed fast to me...but I'm sure it moved at a snail's pace for you :)

If you go by LMP of 12/15 I would be 3 weeks. Obviously that's not possible since I had a faint bfp on 1/1. I am 99.9999% sure I ovulated on 12/22 or 23 which I think would put me realistically about 4 weeks. Still REALLY early. I have no idea why I tested so early, I guess because I just knew! Anyway, I haven't even called my doctor yet because technically I haven't missed a period. I'm not sure if I should wait until next week or just get it over with now.  And by the way, how do you make those calls from work when they are closed for lunch? Last time I had my annual exam conveniently scheduled for that week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, I had such a faint line when I first tested and I went to my primary care about 4 days after that and I was so early that they couldn't even detect any sort of due date with my blood, so I think I found out at 3 weeks.

So funny that it seems fast to you, because I'm telling you, I feel like I found out months ago!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Cici - it's SO annoying that they all close during lunch!  And does your dr close for like an hour and a half, like mine?  I *wish* I had a lunch break that long.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cici, you don't gain anything by going immediately after a BFP, especially one you got before AF was due.  I'd wait a week; there's no harm.  Take your prenatal vitamins in the meantime.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Congrats, cici!

ML, sorry for your false alarm and having to deal with a medical problem on top of it. I always get freaked out when there are problems with the ladyparts. :(

Thanks, poppy :) My mom liked to tell my boyfriends that I was her "miracle baby," which was super embarrassing when I was a teenager, lol. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Well, you do gain the satisfaction of having the pregnany confirmed by blood work, so I would go when you want to!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, you get a numeric level of hCG in your blood, and that's something worth finding out since they can give you a due date based on that.  POAS tests do confirm pregnancy because the hCG that makes the POAS test positive came from your kidneys which got it from your blood, but they are qualitative so they cannot tell you how far along you are.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Just mild correction - we do not give due dates based on HCG levels in the blood. They are based on LMP (last menstrual period) and sometimes corrected at the first u/s which tends to give the most accurate dates besides LMP.   There is huge variation of hcg levels.  HCG levels are helpful in tracking to make sure they are doubling and that is about it.

That being said my HCG did not double in the beginning and here I am 21 weeks!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  I was sure I'd heard people here say they found out how far along they are based on their hCG, but I guess not.  Thanks for clearing it up!

I really just wanted to get the idea out there that POAS tests do confirm pregnancy - the hCG it detects in your urine comes from your blood so it's as definitive, albeit qualitative, as tests get.

Sorry for any confusion!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks for the info! I don't even know if my doctor will do a blood test. Last time the only reason she did was to confirm that it was negative since I wasn't bleeding heavily.

luck, how do they date you if you test positive before it's even physically possible based on LMP? I got a positive test at what would've been 2 weeks. I heard that they will bring you in early to try and date it but I don't know if that's true.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Cici - I think they will use your LMP date until you have an ultrasound and then they will adjust.  I had the opposite problem from you, I O'd very late in my cycle and using LMP I would have been 3 weeks further along than I am.  Once I had an ultrasound that showed a heartbeat they changed my due date accordingly.  And all of my ultrasounds since the LO has measured along with the new due date rather than the LMP.

ETA: I told my doctor that I knew O'd late and they kind of blew me off in the beginning and kept moving forward with my LMP which I thought was frustrating because I knew they were wrong. Just a warning that they might not listen to you in the beginning!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cici, my doctor does not do a blood test to simply confirm pregnancy if there are no extenuating circumstances.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

My dr didn't do a blood test to confirm either.  She had me come in and pee in a cup.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm guessing most don't.  It's confirmed either way, and it costs 50 times more to do a blood test than it does to PIAC.  

So, that's where my original advice comes in - you can POAS, again, at home a week after the first BFP and confirm your own pregnancy, or you can rush immediately to the doctor, taking time off of work, driving to the doctors, humiliating yourself by handing them a cup of your pee, and having the nurse tell you that your test wasn't defective.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Thanks for the concern ladies, it looks like it was just a really weird way off cycle period. No stept, no baby, no big deal - just makes you realize how delicate the balance is with timing and everything.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dog-lady, no, they aren't more accurate with respect to a positive result.  A home pregnancy test might give you a false negative if you take it too early, but there is no difference between a YES of a blood test and a YES of a POAS test.  They are both definitively positive.

Blood tests are quantitative.  They can tell you exactly how much hCG is in your blood, ppm.  However, as to whether you are pregnant, they give you a yes or a no.

Assay tests (home pregnancy tests) are qualitative.  The chemicals on the reagent strip react to hCG.  If it reacts, you are pregnant.  If it doesn't, you don't have enough hCG in your system to register positive.  So, if you test too early, you might get a false negative, but it won't be long, if you are, to have it give you the positive.  And, if you GET a positive, you are pregnant...as surely as if you had had a blood test.

Just because one is qualitative and one is quantitative doesn't mean the yes of a blood test is any MORE a yes than a POAS test. 

If you don't understand that, you don't understand assay chemistry, and no one will be able to convince you that a yes is a yes is a yes.  You only get hCG in your urine if you have it in your blood.  And, while you could have a defective POAS test, you could also be the victim of a bloodwork lab mixup or mistake.

ETA:  In fact, "more accurate" makes no sense given that one is a qualitative and one is a quantitative test.  One simply gives a yes or a no, and the other gives a number.  The blood test is logically incapable of being "more accurate," but what it does give you is more information about the postive result.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A qualitative test is no less accurate than a quantitative test, it simply gives less information, namely, the amount of hCG in your system.

If it's more convenient, because they have blood, anyway, to do a pregnancy test that way, that's one thing, but a woman who gets a positive home pregnancy test doesn't have to run immediately to the doctor to get a blood test to confirm it because of how assay tests work.  It's not a preliminary, less reliable test - it's definitive.  If you have enough hCG in your urine to detect pregnancy, it will react, and you'll know you're pregnant right that very second.

And, yes, blood tests CAN determine pregnancy ealier than home pregnancy tests, so for a week or so (and for $150) they are more capable of detecting a positive.  No one is going to run to the doctor a week before their period is due to account for this brief window in which the blood test would give a positive and the urine test would not.  I hope.

The fact is, if you get a positive home pregnancy test you are definitively pregnant, and we are having the discussion because someone asked if they need to schedule an appointment immediately to confirm a BFP with a blood test.  The answer is no.

Sections
Shortcuts