January TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Re: January TTC

I think also if you are having a miscarriage they will take your blood because hcg leaves your blood faster than urine. So you can test positive by POAS and negative by blood. Same as when it's really early a blood test may be able to detect before urine.

I called my doctor's office after 1:30 to see if I should go in or just call a new ob's office and they were STILL closed for another half hour. So I just went ahead and called Harvard Vanguard and scheduled an appointment... for the middle of February which is 6 weeks away! Like CLC mentioned, they go by LMP and schedule for 8-10 weeks out. But the woman was really helpful and said she would pass all my information along to the nurse to see if she thinks I should come in earlier.

Sorry guys for making this thread all about me! How are the rest of you doing? Anyone planning to test soon?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The blood test can tell sooner than a urine test [at least that's what hte tech told me] but that does not make it a better or more accurate test.  Whenever I needed an X ray, or mammogram, and was not on BCP, they would draw blood and run a test if I wasn't X many days [forget how many] out from my LMP.  They only did that b/c the hormone wouldn't show up in the urine at that point.  I'd have to sit around and wait and wait and wait while the results came back before they'd run whatever test I was in for. Aggravating.

But, in this age of highly sensitive urine tests, there is absolutely no need for a dr to run a blood test to confirm pregnancy.  The urine test will tell them - without a doubt - that yes, you are in fact pregnant.  As LIL mentioned, the blood test they run after pg measures the amount of hormone for various reason, but you are not getting 'better' confirmation of a pg by having the blood test run. Unless you need to have the hormone level measured for some reason, many drs will not even run the blood test [that's what mine said anyway] b/c it is cheaper and just as effective to have you pee in a cup. 

All you are doing by going in for a blood test for the sole purpose of confirming what the POAS has already told you is wasting a sick day or other leave.  I was so annoyed that my insurance told me I HAD to have a blood test to confirm or they wouldn't pay for prenatal care - then got to the dr and they said, no you don't need it and we don't routinely run them. I begged them b/c of what the insurer told me and they drew blood. Whether they actually ran the test or just tested the pee that I gave them, I have no idea.  But they reported a BFP to the insurer in the end. It was a freaking nightmare and took a full half day to accomplish. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Cici, I think you are right. My dr did blood tests the day and the week after my m/c to make sure my levels were going down. As long as they went below a certain number, I would not need to have a D&C.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Celebrating my 40th this month and getting off the TTC train.  Not preventing, mind you, but not tracking for any reason than to predict AF's arrival, either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're pregnant, you'll need to take a lot of time off for necessary appointments.  The compassionate suggestion is to save vacation/sick time for the many appointments that will be coming your way given that a box of 3 FRERs taken a week apart after an initial BFP will confirm it definitively 3 more times for $17 and no loss of vacation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks guys. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I still have two FRER so I guess I'll use them like you recommended, Kar. Happy birthday! I hope you are doing something fun to celebrate. Sorry to hear about the TTC plans. One of my sisters is in a very similar situation except that she and her DH purposely kept delaying and now it seems almost too late. She wants to adopt but he is completely against it. So difficult. If you need to vent, you know you have a captive audience here :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, cici!  GL with the stickiness of the BFPs. :)  You'll be so glad you didn't waste a trip to the doc's if you stay pregnant (God forbid the worst); your first necessary appointment will be at about 10 weeks, but some offices schedule you for as early as 8.

It is very complicated, but we are happy, truly.  It wasn't what we thought we wanted, but a happy marriage and fulfilling life even without a child is a huge blessing we're cool with. It helps to be on the same page.

I'm sorry for your sister and her husband.  I hope their ship really hasn't sailed and they get surprised!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Happy birthday, Kar, and I'm sorry that you're bringing TTC to an end. You have such a compassionate heart and I'm glad that you and your DH are happy regardless of any TTC situation. Is adoption on the table or is that something you aren't interested in?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Good luck, cici. If you can avoid an unnecessary trip to the dr during cold and flu season, it's probably best to do so! Have a great and restful weekend and celebrate w/ some non-alcoholic drinks! :-) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, WPP, what kind thoughts; you're a sweet person.  We've talked about adoption but have decided against it together at least for now...I don't anticipate either of us bringing it up, again, but you never know.

cici, if you aren't already, make sure you're getting 400 - 800 micrograms of folic acid (or folate) per day.  (My doc recommends 400, others up to 800.)  It prevents birth defects that can occur in the very first weeks of pg.  And, ALF brings up a great point, who'd want to go to the doc's unnecessarily during flu season!  Celebrate your BFP - you ARE pregnant and hopefully...well, sticky thoughts and prayers are going out for you!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Cici, congrats!! I completely understand wanting to go in earlier, just for any reassurance that might offer. I was "lucky" in that I was coming off a round of fertility treatment, so I had numerous blood tests, appointments and ultrasounds before my 1st regular 8-week prenatal visit. But even with all those visits, I had to keep reminding myself that things were going to progress the way nature, or God, intended - if, God forbid, anything had gone wrong, there would have been nothing the doctor could have done, anyway. Like the others have said, try to relax and enjoy your bfp - what a great and well-deserved start to the new year. I do wish I could give you my leftover box of FRERs, though :)

Kar, happy birthday! You and your DH are obviously very blessed to have such a loving and supportive relationship, and that, more than anything else, is the key to happiness, IMO. Having that strong bond will get you guys through anything. All the other stuff is just icing on the (birthday) cake.

I read through the comments about blood vs. urine tests with interest, and just wanted to point out that if there's any reason you might have HCG in your system aside from pregnancy (only one I can think of is fertility treatments, although I know some people inject it for weight loss reasons - shudder) - you CAN get a false positive on a HPT, and a blood test is a more accurate measure (since it looks for increasing vs. decreasing levels). But hopefully anybody with an Rx for HCG already knows that!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Tang!  I think you are so right about the key to happiness.  Wishing for what was not meant to be is a recipe for disaster.  Life is short!

Yes, definitely, if you have hCG in your blood (and, therefore, urine) from taking it by prescription you'd need to get TWO blood tests to confirm pregnancy because while blood tests aren't more accurate as to their ability to detect the presence of a critical amount of hCG, they do provide exact numeric levels of hCG to compare.  A home pregnancy test would accurately detect the hCG, but it wouldn't necessarily mean you were pregnant.  Same with the blood test.  The first one would detect an amount of hCG that indicates pregnancy, but you'd need a second one to see if the numbers were increasing, thereby proving pregnancy.  Good point.  But, like you say, anyone taking hCG would know that, hopefully!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Happy birthday kar! I hope you are able to feel at peace with how the cards fell with respect to TTC. My 2 cents on the convo about doctor visits in early pregnancy: I didn't have a quantitative HCG run until after my miscarriage, at which point I had four blood draws over a few weeks to confirm the numbers came down to zero. My OB said that would not change if I get pregnant again, ie thy wouldn't draw hCG to confirm or track the pregnancy. She said from her perspective, the first visit would be scheduled just the same at 10-12 weeks, but if I felt very anxious the nurses could schedule an earlier ultrasound for me. My miscarriage was in the 12 th week so it will take a while for me to feel out of the woods. I don't think that's a problem my OB can solve though...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dog-lady, ER docs draw blood, anyway, to test for all matter of things; they just add pregnancy to the list of what's tested.  It has nothing to do with the reliability of the tests.  Gosh, can't you just say you learned something new today?

Siena, thanks for your well wishes and kind thoughts.  Having a m/c right on the edge of the "safe zone" would freak anyone out for life, I think.  Sorry you went through that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Gosh, can't you kindly read DL's posts for the sincere information she offered, instead of getting all defensive?

Gosh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She gave misinformation I tried, apparently in vain, to correct for her.  I think the people actually trying to conceive understand, though, so no matter.  If she still doesn't understand that a POAS positive is just as valid as a blood test positive by now, I really don't care.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Gosh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Golly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Dog lady,
    I work in the medical field.  If a women is in the ER and going to have a blood work done for a number of reasons they will include a PG test.  If not they will just have a her do a POAS.  They will not do it just confirm PG because most insurances will not allow it.

cic, congrats!

Kar, Happy Birthday, may all your wishes come true!

Crossing my fingers and toes for the rest of you ladies.

AFM, We just got word yesterday that once my next AF arrives we can move forward to IVF treatments.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

My own point is, is that you all should thank dog-lady for contributing, period. She's posted some very good advice in threads overall - and as someone who won't be getting pregnant again, but might adopt, I remain interested in today's procedures (medical) and formalities (adoption).

Everyone has something to contribute. Just be happy dog-lady cares enough about the folks here to post.

Gosh.

Golly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I don't understand why a "thank you" is in order.  No one ask if the blood test was more accurate than the POAS.  Either test is more accurate then the other.  One simply says positive/negative and the other gives out a number.  I would hate to see a women enter the ER asking for a blood test to confirm her PG because it will cost her money & time.

You are both welcome to add your options and post on this forum.  It's free for all but don't expect all to agree with you.  I certainly don't except all to agree with me or even read my posts.  I simply post to share my experiences and vent.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

You are both welcome to add your options and post on this forum.  It's free for all but don't expect all to agree with you.  I certainly don't except all to agree with me or even read my posts.  I simply post to share my experiences and vent.
    ----

And that's fine.

But there was no reason for someone (not you) to have taken DL to task, even under the guise of "correction."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I don't think Kar took her to task; she was just correcting misinformation to help other posters. 

Anyway. Moving on. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Now I wish I had seen DL's original post.  After inferring what it was about from the posts about it, I will say I was so surprised when after POAS I excitedly called my PCP and said I think I'm pregnant when should I come into have a blood test.  The very nice nurse said "Congrats you are pregnant if the POAS test was positive, call an OB". 

I was like 5 weeks along and it seemed to take forever before the first time anyone at the OB wanted to see me.  I saw a NP at 8 weeks but didn't see a doctor until 12.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

So excited to see a smiley face on my OPK this morning!  How often should you BD for best results.  Every day for the next 3?  More than once a day?  Every other day?  I've heard a lot of people recommend different approaches. 

Looking forward to a good week.