January TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: January TTC

Cici, great to hear about your stickiness! :) I would've gotten AF yesterday but I think my cycle is trying to even out. Did you guys wait until AF to start charting or did you just start in the middle of a cycle? And for the OPKs, do you need to test at the same time everyday?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I started charting at the beginning of my cycle but it was more because getting AF made me feel so frustrated that it "inspired" me.  hah. (I have the absolute worst cramps in the world when I'm not on BCPs.  It makes me one bitter girl.)  I think that if you start charting before you have ovulated then you have a chance of seeing the temperature shift, even if you weren't charting from CD1, so that could be informative.  However, if you start charting late in the cycle (after ovulation), I think you probably won't learn that much. If you think it's possible that you haven't O'd yet, doesn't hurt to start charting!

Haven't started using OPKs yet, so I don't have an expert answer to your question.  From what I have read, it's best to test in the afternoon, but I don't think precise timing makes a big difference. (Unlike temperature charting--where precise timing does make a difference, I'm told.)

I've noticed that after getting of BCPs or after my mc, my cycle starts out longer and then gets a little shorter each month.  (I presume at some point it would stop getting shorter, but I've yet to arrive at the steady state.)  This makes me a bit uncertain about my cycle length and is one of the reasons I thought charting might be helpful for me. I think once you see a temperature rise in your cycle, the luteal phase tends to be of a limited/determinate length (typically between 10-17 days, depending on the woman).  

Good luck!  I know it can be hard to figure out when to test or what to think when your cycle length is uncertain or changing! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, to answer the testing timing question for OPKs, take a look at the generic exponential function graph and consider that on average most women experience the "take off" point (where the y value goes up dramatically in a short amount of time, x) for the amount of LH in their blood (the "surge") in the morning.  HOWEVER, since a home ovulation test strip isn't a blood test, you have to wait 'til that afternoon for your kidneys to have filtered out the excess LH out of your blood and into your urine.  So, as siena said, afternoon is the best time to catch the absolute highest level of LH in your system for the month.

However, that being said, while I never got two lines that were the exact same darkness I figured out that my photo above meant the surge happened that morning so I didn't keep testing just for the sake of getting two perfectly equal lines.  Your pee is slightly behind your blood level of LH so why bother (in my mind)?

ETA:  And, by the way, that graph is NOT of the LH surge, it's a generic exponential function curve.  So, the LH drop off isn't depicted by the graph I posted, just the ramp up and surge is.  Obviously, LH doesn't keep going up exponentially (it falls off dramatically after the surge or it wouldn't be much of a "surge"), but figured I'd mention it.  Actually, here's a representation of the actual LH surge so you can align that with when you test, what your results mean, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks, siena and kar, that helps. I need to break out my TCOYF and brush up on a few things!

I had some unilateral lower abdominal pain a few days ago that may have have been from O-ing, but I'm on CD31 and not sure where exactly I am in my cycle. I think I'll wait for AF to start charting. 

The other day DH pulled some tea I was going to drink out of my hands, pointed to the label, and said, "Not to use to during pregnancy! You could be pregnant! You don't know!" I was like, "Wow, calm down there, tiger." At least he's into this!

How has everyone else been doing? Any 2ww coming up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Learning that OPKs are definitely a bit tricky. Day 12 I still had a lighter test line than the reference line, then yesterday, day 13, had the perfect "surge". Test line came immediately and was really dark, much more so than reference line. I thought, perfect! Tested again this morning just to check, and to use my last test. Same result. Stick that would indicate a surge. Can you get two very dark test lines two days in a row? Tested almost exactly 24 hours apart, and have done them all same time every morning. BD last night, and I guess no harm done again tonight just in case today is really the surge and yesterday was just practice :-).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

IPW - I always got a positive for two days on the opk's. I read that it can continue to show positive for a few days but you take the first one as a real positive.

Thanks siena & wpp!

WPP - I tried a few times to temp & use opk's before my cycles began to regulate and couldn't stick with it. I think if you can it could be helpful, but it can get really frustrating if you are not seeing any patterns or results that you would like.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, the first appearance of a super dark test line indicates that the surge happened that morning.  If you get another test that looks the same after that you are getting residual LH filtered out of your blood from the one surge you had - it takes awhile to get all filtered out of your bloodstream.  You can't have 2 (or more) LH surges in a row.  So, once you get a positive, you can save your money and not test, again.  You will ovulate w/in 24 - 48 hours from the first positive result (although, an LH surge is not proof you will ovulate; it tells you when you will if you're going to at all.  If you want to know for sure that you ovulated you'll have to add temping to the regimen.  A temp change indicates ovulation occurred.).

WPP, that's great news your DH is on board.  He'll probably relax a bit as time goes on.  As far as tea goes, they have to put those warnings on there because they haven't been tested, not because they have been found to be dangerous.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In other words, a surge is just that, a quick release of a large amount of a hormone (LH, for instance) directly into your bloodstream from a gland (ovaries? can't rememer).  Your kidneys are responsible for filtering your blood.  Anything in your blood gets filtered out by your kidneys and dumped into your urine.  So, after that one big burst of LH, your urine will register a large amount of LH a few hours later and for however long it takes your kidneys to filter out the large amount of it in your bloodstream.  When it's all filtered out, the "positive" looking result goes away, but the ovulation clock starts ticking (24 - 48 hours after a positive result) the moment you see the first positive result.  It's just residual LH after that, and what you're measuring then is how long it takes your kidneys to filter out the surge - interesting, but not exactly useful information with respect to TTC.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, some have been proven to be contraindicated for pregnancy.  Others, on the other hand, say they are unsafe because they've never been tested. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

They say not to take nettle or red raspberry in the first trimester because they can cause tiny uterine contractions.  They're great later on (especially red raspberry leaf) because they promote uterine toning and strengthening, but they're a miscarriage risk in the first trimester (maybe first half to be safe).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

That tea post is interesting. I was about to reach for a bag of green tea, so good timing. I checked the box and Dr. Google and it seems that the one cup I was planning on drinking is ok.

It probably doesn't matter what tea I'm drinking since I haven't gotten a positive OPK test yet. I was starting to see some secondary symptoms of ovulation on Sunday (what I think is EWCM, little bit of cramping and tenderness) but so far the OPKs have been negative. I've been testing right around 4pm every day, not drinking much in the afternoon, not using the bathroom after 12. I think these stupid tests are driving me crazy!

I hope everyone else is doing well! SS - how's the 2ww going?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never changed my behavior at all regarding OPK testing.  Never mattered.  I always caught the surge.  No matter what you do, how much or little water you drink, what time of day you test, your test line the day of the surge will be almost as dark or equally as dark as the control line.  And, the timing of ovulation isn't seconds later.  It's 24 - 48 hours later.  You don't have to catch the first millisecond that the line is exactly equal to get the most out of OPKs.  Try to relax when "perfect" doesn't really have practical meaning.  Making it a more precise thing than it is will, in fact, drive you nuts for no actual reason.  When things don't really matter, don't make them matter in your mind and jump through hoops for no reason.  jmho.

ETA:  I took OPKs a year.  I didn't get pregnant, but I am 100% positive I caught my surges because I found out that no matter how long my cycle was (25 - 35 days, randomly), my post-LH surge phase (leuteal phase) was EXACTLY 15 days every single month.  If I weren't catching/interpretting the postive results correctly I wouldn't have been able to predict the day I'd get AF with extreme accuracy because my total cycle was completely unpredictable.  It was only the leuteal phase that was.  So, I assume if I were ovulating that I did so 24 hours after my positive; that would put me in the average 14 day leuteal phase group of women.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

2ww is so...strange?  It's odd to be sitting and waiting on a yay or a nay...anyhow, question. I know there is a range, and it varies from person to person, but how many DPO does implantation usually occur?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

6 - 12 days, and about 1/3 of women experience implantation spotting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You know, Chinese women drink tea on a daily basis and don't seem to have any problems populating the planet.  I think if you consult w/ your dr and have caffeine in moderation, you will be fine. I'd be more concerned about caffeine from soda and chocolate before I'd worry about having a cup or two of tea, particularly green tea which has a negligible amount of caffeine in most instances.  If you want to cut out caffeine after you are pg, feel free, but before you are pg, I think you can safely have a cup of green or black tea.  Cutting out certain herbal teas, which aren't really teas, but tisanes, is probably a good idea when TTC though.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I think green tea might actually help with your cervical mucus and therefore is beneficial before ovulation. I have read that you may want to limit to one or two cups afterwards because it could have some negative affects on the absorption of folic acid. I don't recall where I found this information but I checked it out because I liked to drink a couple cups a day.

ETA: good point, ALF!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You'd have to have about 8 cups of green tea to equal 300 mg, the cutoff amount of caffeine per day that has been proven safe during pregnancy let alone at any point in your cycle while TTC.

ETA:  We all have the right to make up whatever rules we want for our lives, but keep in mind that TTC is often not a sprint.  I implore you to not make it more frustrating than it has to be by setting random, arbitrary rules for yourselves.  Be smart, of course - don't start smoking or anything, lol.  Just don't take the train to Crazyland - it's frustrating and pointless, and you could be there a LONG time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kar, I had to laugh because your post basically says "Chiclet, stop being yourself!" Driving myself crazy for no good reason and making things more complicated than need be are two things I'm REALLY good at. I'm just going to take comfort in knowing that I'm probably over-complicating this whole TTC thing. 

Also, I always thought green tea had more caffeine than coffee. Just checked the box and saw that I was so very wrong about that. Yay!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thanks Kar, I knew you'd know. You are the encyclopedia of TTC knowledge.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chicklet, figured I'd try to save you some angst, but if you're happy I'm happy.  

You're welcome MW.  I should be; I've been TTC for 3+ years!

ETA:  Chicklet, it could honestly be a long haul.  If you want to make it overcomplicated, that's OK, but if you ever start to resent the rules you've made and start hating TTC, I hope you'll give yourself permission to reevaluate the hoops you've decided are necessary.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Chiclet--a minority of women do report that they need to test 2x/day to be able to detect ovulation with an OPK.  See this for example:
    So if you don't ever see something you can interpret as positive this cycle, you could try 2x/day testing next month.  My plan is to start testing 1x/day, since that seems to work for most people, and as kar explained sometimes you can detect a surge that way even if it doesn't read as "positive" according to the test guidelines.  But if I can't figure it out, I will try 2x/day testing next month.  

Funny story: I told my DH that I ordered OPKs online because they were cheaper and came in a large pack of 40 for $10. Because we were in a public place, and I was picking up (with some context) from an earlier conversation, I referred to them somewhat obliquely as "tests".  He thought I ordered 40 HPTs and I think was ready to conclude that I was fully crazy with respect to this TTC process.  He was wondering why on earth I expected to need 40 HPTs.  

We both had a good laugh over that.  (And I explained why a large pack OPKs is not so crazy, since you HAVE to test many times/month to figure out anything informative--unless you are a wicked lucky guesser.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You might need to test 2x a day to get an exactly equal test line, but you'll come to know what your first test looks like on those positive days so you won't have to waste one to get the perfect test line.  The day you have the surge is the day you have the surge whether you catch the exact moment you have enough LH in your pee to match the control line or not.  

I'm not trying to be cantankerous or contrary just saying that if you make it harder than it has to be it's going to be a very frustrating, expensive, exhausting process.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Kar--yes I did appreciate your input here.  It was your comments that made me decide to test 1/day this month.  I'm just saying that it seems like some women get faded/faint lines for several days in the month and have trouble identifying a surge.  For that reason, it is sometimes recommended to try testing 2x/day.  But I do hope that I can figure it out without trying that, and I'm further hoping that cross-referencing it with my temperature chart will corroborate my interpretation.  I'm not trying to encourage making ourselves too crazy here and I take your point about obsessing.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kar, I hear you. I really do. I appreciate your looking out for my sanity!

I'm approaching TTC the same way I approach every major event - with all the heavy artiliery. It's just the way I know how do things. I am trying to pace myself for the long haul. I am actually enjoying the process right now. DH and I aren't telling anyone that we're trying (in fact, it seems like we're lying to our friends/family/coworkers on a weekly basis). It's kind of fun having a little secret! We're still at the point that we can joke about it.

That said, I think I'm going to skip OPK tests next month. I really think that's what is frustrating me the most!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do you think if you weren't making it so complicated and scary you'd feel the need to skip it?  

Starting on Day 8, between 3:00 - 4:00, pee in a cup.  Dip the strip.  Observe result.  Light line negative.  Dark line positive.  Repeat every afternoon until dark test line appears (very close to the darkness of the test line).  

If you misinterpret or miss it, so what?  Get the big, cheap packs of 'em from Amazon and try again next month.

No need to monitor or restrict water intake, urination, or sex.  Just pee, dip, observe, repeat.

Sections
Shortcuts