July-TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: July-TTC

In Response to Re: July-TTC:
    [QUOTE]4 lbs in 6 days?  That's awesome!  I wish I had your willpower.  I could never make it through something like that.  I did look at the link that you posted but it just wouldn't work for me. 
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

It is a huge commitment, indeed, and difficult to do properly especially amidst all the summer BBQs and stuff.  But, it's expensive so that boosts my willpower - I don't want to quasi cleanse for that amount of money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

In Response to Re: July-TTC:
    [QUOTE]DH and I are a mess.  We just got news that we will be auntie & uncle to a little boy and we are having a hard time keeping it together.  I'm totally loosing it at work but I can't go home. Tan, My temps were rising but now their a stabilizing which is making me/us feel unhopeful for this cycle.  I sometimes feel that taking my temps are can be a curse.  I continue to take them because the accupucturists finds every helpful.
    Posted by tomarra[/QUOTE]

Tomarra - That is hard. I remember several times hearing about my siblings/sibling-in-laws announcements and not having one of our own. For one that was in person, I had to have a quiet breakdown in an upstairs bathroom at someone's house. Hang in there! Hope something comes around for you soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Thank you, rhm!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Well AF showed up this morning.  Looking forward to starting the OPK strips this upcoming cycle (thanks again Boston)!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That stinks, clc!  I was holding out hope for you given the signs.  

I've quit using the strips after months of timing things perfectly and still not being successful.  Too big a pita to bother with at this point.  We BD quite a bit, anyway, so nothing lost.  TMI?  Sorry!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Hi all,

clc, I'm sorry about AF showing up...that does stink :( But now you get to have fun with OPKs! :)

Kar, I don't blame you a bit for throwing in the towel on the OPKs. You probably have a pretty good sense for when you'll o anyway. Fingers crossed that you'll be our next case of "I got pg the minute I stopped focusing on it!"

Tomarra, I'm so sorry about your rough day earlier this week. I totally hear you. I think it gets a little easier over time...but I still get upset when I hear that someone else is pg. And when it's a close relative, and you have to try really hard to be happy...that's a lot tougher. I'm glad you're feeling better. Your day will be here soon!! What CD are you on, btw? When do you think you'll test?

rhm, if you're still here - can you remind me of your pg story? I seem to remember that you had a surprise BFP while undergoing fertility treatment, but hopefully I'm not making that up. Anyway, inspiration is much appreciated :)

AFM, I'm on CD7 of round #2 of injectibles. Had my first follicle check and bloodwork this morning, and things are growing but nothing's ready to go yet (as expected this early in my cycle). I've decided to forgo temping, OPKS, etc this cycle, and try to relax a little and just trust my RE. I think temping stresses me out more than I realize...and since I take a trigger shot anyway, I'm just going to freak myself out if the temps don't do what I want them to.

Hope everyone's doing well and staying cool!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

clc, sorry about AF and I hope you fine the OPK'S useful.  If anything it will help you to be more intune with your body so that after severals of using them you may decide to skip them.  Good luck!

Tan,  I think you have made a wise decision on not temping & not using OPKs.  I'm no longing using OPKs because I have come to the point were I pretty much know when OV-ing without them.  Hopefully you have a successful cycle this time due to your more relaxed self.

I'm on CD#28 and I expect AF on Friday/Saturday.  I did test this morning and BPN so I will have to wait to see what friday brings.  I have a question for you, The RE got me confused in that he's counting the day I took the trigger shot as the day of OV....is this how you/your RE view it?

Kar, My starting to view things your way.  Life's to short to stress out the little things.  So, like you I'm going to make an effort to forget about TTC and focus on DH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, I'm going into my 40s with the happiness of a hot, intimate marriage, not sad for anything.  Kids bring joy, but they bring their share of stress and difficulty, too.  I have joy already.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Tom, my fingers are crossed that that BFN turns into a BFP by the end of the week! Sounds like it's still too early to tell. My RE has me come in for a beta test 14 days after my trigger, which is roughly 12 days post-O. You're right; it doesn't really make sense that your RE would count trigger day as your o day, since you're supposed to o 36-48 hours later. But since my RE tests 14 days post-trigger, maybe she's counting trigger day as o day for all intents and purposes, too. Kinda confusing!

Kar, you have the right attitude! It's easy to romanticize life with children - sometimes I catch myself thinking things like "once I get pg, everything will be perfect." Which is obviously ridiculous. It sounds like you have a wonderful and happy marriage, which (as my DH reminds me and I usually brush off) is really the most important thing. And as EVERYONE has told me, it tends to happen when you're least expecting it...like my coworker whom I've probably mentioned, who gave up on TTC at age 42 and started adoption proceedings.  A month later, surprise BFP...now she's a first-time mommy at 43. As she told me, "miracles happen..."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just don't want to go through the rest of my life lamenting not having a child instead of absolutely enjoying the life I have.  Like you say, Tang, we romanticize things we think (or are even very sure) we want, and in the process often are less thankful than we should be for the things we have.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I have a couple of thoughts.

First - Tomarra - I am so sorry.  It is awful when you hear about other people getting pregnant.  You want to be happy for others but it is just so hard.  TTC is such a marathon. 

RHM - might we be cycle buddies?   Hopefully will be picking up a frozen sibling in 2 weeks.  :)

As for children making you happy.  Studies show otherwise.  People who have children are not happier on the whole.  I think I am much happier now after having DD but certainly that is not the norm.  That being said, if it is something that you really want I think going for it is fine.  You may have limits.   For me I really didn't because I knew that ultimately we wanted to have children so I would have gone all the way to adoption but ended short at donor after many failed IVF attempts. 

The time we spent married and TTC ended up being a gift because we did so many great things together that we would not have done had we had children right away.  Didn't feel like a gift at the time but at least we were able to realize that it may take a long time to conceive and we needed to enjoy fully the time we had together as a married couple.

Kar - Congrats on the weight loss!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

lil - our ER tentative date is 8/16. Right now I'm on bcp's and Lupron. Sounds like you're going first, but we wouldn't be too far off. 

tang - you're not hallucinating. After 3 IUI's and 2 IVF's, we were about to pick a donor for DE when we got a BFP on our own (without temping, opk's, not even really trying at all that month!). Our little boy is 16 months old.

As an fyi, I'm about to go through DE for lo#2. I've been on the down low this time. We tried another IVF last fall with a lot of meds, but only got one egg which didn't fertilize (and we found that out on DH's b'day so that sukt!).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i totally agree with this:  The time we spent married and TTC ended up being a gift because we did so many great things together that we would not have done had we had children right away.  Didn't feel like a gift at the time but at least we were able to realize that it may take a long time to conceive and we needed to enjoy fully the time we had together as a married couple. 

ttc absolutely felt like the worst time of my life at the time, but now looking back, i am glad we had the extra time without kids.  i couldn't conceptualize what a huge change it would be to have kids and not be independent, carefree, have free time, etc. anymore.  (not that i felt carefree OR that i had a ton of time before, but now i realize how carefree i was!!!).  i definitely at times long for those days now (especially at this moment, sitting at the beach with a BOOK!).  so as hard as it is (and probably annoying for someone with kids to be doling out this info) - try to do stuff that will make you enjoy the state you're in.  and i hope it works out for all of you, soon!!!  :) 

rhm and lil - can't believe you're back at it, where does the time go?!  GL!  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

luck, I did read an article based on one of the studies you referred to about how especially new older parents are often secretly resentful of their kids in a BIG way.  Of course, they hide it because it's totally taboo to admit (among other reasons not the least of which is that they don't want to make their kids feel bad about being born!), but they resent the life that over the past 20 adult years have become quite happy with.  The irony is that they thought they needed kids to be TRULY happy.  And, once they learn of their miscalculation in the happiness equation it's too late.  

I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but it does happen more often than we might realize, and I'm admitting that I could be one of those happy 40 year olds who might not be as happy to have a child as everyone is supposed or expects to be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone!  I'm back and am catching up.  Sorry AF showed clc, but goodluck with the OPKs!  Sorry you were sad tom, but congrats on being an auntie.  Do you have other nieces/nephews, or is this the first one?  If its the first - there is nothing like it!  Instant love!  Good luck rhm, luck, tang!    Kar, I love your insight and am so happy for you, and whatever is to come your way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mommyfirst. Show Mommyfirst's posts

i was one of those old parents who most definately resented when baby came but never hid the resentment for my friends openly talked, lol.  it was huge huge huge adjustment to go from just us to us with baby, honestly totally sent me under a bus.  But i know that i would have always wondered what life would have been like with baby if we didnt.  life seems like a tradeoff.  Even years later i envy carefree beach days or weekends totally for me but for me i do think my life is a little rounder.  definately not what i thought it would be like but glad to have all the messyness i think, lol.  totally i know people can be happy without it tho'.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mommyfirst, thanks for your honest insight as a parent who had a child and found out that being a mother isn't what you thought it would be.  It's this openness that allows others to make more informed (less romanticized) decisions about bringing a baby into their families.  And, it makes me feel less like a monster for wondering about less than ideal ramifications of having a baby.

Thanks, Nov, for the "either way" encouragement! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Had an interesting chat with DH last night, and we decided to put baby-making back on the front burner!  woo hoo!!  I am happier with my weight now and would be comfortable gaining from this point for a pregnancy, and age-wise, neither of us wants to wait too much longer. We are also both on the same page of if it happens for us, great, but if not, we'd be OK and still have a happy life together. 

I have no interest in temping but I am trying to decide whether to do OPK strips. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats on the weight loss and best to you as you TTC!

I recommend the cheap Amazon dip strips for OPK.  Hardly any $, easy to use, and I found they were reliable insomuch as I could acurately predict when AF would arrive (15 days after a positive every time) after a positive result - a nice side effect of using them even though I didn't get pg.  Of course, that's no guarantee I was ovulating, but my LH surge was definitely caught by the strips.  Then, the 2 day fertile window is obvious.

On the other hand, if you have sex at least 3 times a week, given how long sperm and eggs live you're pretty covered, anyway.

GL, Nov!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks Kar.  You probably remember that our initial "plan" was not to have a plan and just see what happens.  Part of me thinks that it would help to know the window, but on the other hand, my cycles are pretty regular since stopping BC, so as long as we have sex often enough, I would still have a good idea of when to expect AF, or notice if she were missing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, I do remember, but the thing is, you have to wonder how you'll feel in 3 years if you haven't gotten pg.  Would you regret not being more proactive by using the strips, or will you say que sera sera?  I cannot say either way - only you know yourself in that regard.

P.S.  It's a lot more fun to just have sex and see what happens, but, then again, you know I'm not 100% gung ho for getting pg at this point so you might not want to go by me!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Novem- I used the amazon strips thanks to Kar's suggestion and found that they did work great and I didn't feel like I was wasting money. I used them twice a day, not sure if the other more expensive tests give you enough to even do this. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Nov - I successfully used Answer OPK strips for both pregnancies since I was really irregular.  It took a few cycles to notice a pattern both times and learn to read them, but I do feel they contributed to our success.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I used the strips, too, with (eventual) success.  I think even if your cycles are regular, it's worth using them for a couple of months at least to make sure that you're correctly predicting when you're ovulating.  (I recently recommended them to a friend, who got pregnant the first month she used them, when apparently she ovulated much earlier than she would have otherwise predicted.)  After that, I think it depends on how you and your partner deal with TTC whether they're useful.  For us, it was really, really helpful to know that we should make an effort on certain days, because left to ourselves, we probably have sex three times a week--all on the weekend.  And it was also helpful to know when I'd ovulated because then we could stop having sex every day and go back to our usual routine before we got too worn out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with thistle for using them at least a couple of months if you are interested in finding out when you usually ovulate.  You might get AF every 28 days like clockwork, but that doesn't mean you are ovulating on day 14.  Some regular women ovulate early (days 10 - 14) and some late (days 14 - 18).  Without the strips, you'll have no idea when your LH surge is.  Again, though, if you have sex at least 3 or 4 times a week, anyway, it doesn't matter when you ovluate.