July-TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: July-TTC

All good points to think about.  Thanks.  Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Good morning Ladies,

I totally recommend trying the OKPs for a couple of months especially if your cycles are irregular.  Wishing all your ladies the best of luck this cycle!

AFM, AF showed up on Saturday and I'm moving forward to 5th clomid cycle.  We have a follow up appoint in August with the RE to go over our next treatment options.

Tan, how are things going? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Just chiming in on a few of the older posts about how that extended TTC time as a gift. Maybe, but I still look back on it with sadness and despair, it sucks not getting pregnant when you want to be and watching others with their lives moving forward.

I have my beautiful daughter now by total miracle, and I am glad to be enjoying the baby stage (at least for a few more weeks, she's toddling now!), but when I was having trouble getting pregnant, my sister got pregnant by accident in less than stellar circumstance. It wound up being a real blessing, she straightened her life out, got married, now has two healthy boys (yes, she got pregnant twice by accident while stable together me did NOT).

Honestly, I still can't look at my now 3 year old nephew without thinking "you were supposed to be mine." Sad, just noting that for some, like me (clearly a bitter person!), it takes a long, long time to get over infertility no matter the outcome - and while you are going through it, it totally, completely SHUCKS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sorry AF showed again tom, but at least August isn't too far away.

ML, you don't sound bitter - just honest. It can be a really painful. I know a family with a similar situation to what you described, one sibling struggled to get pregnant while another one got pregnant unexpectedly.  They don't even talk to each other anymore. Its very sad.

AFM, I ordered the strips on Amazon, and if the expected delivery date is correct, they will arrive on CD9, so I can get right to it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

ml, I can totally relate to your post.  I love my SIL & BIL but their pg reminds us of the early mc we had in april.  Had we not had early mc we would have be pg at the same time.  I hope that once our nephew arrives we are able to let go of this feelings.

Nov, to answer you question: He will be our first nephew and we hope to love him as much we love his big sister.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Sorry AF arrived Tom.  Any changes coming your way with this next round of Clomid?

Nov, I'm on my first month of using the OPK strips.  I started using them on CD 7 because I'm not sure when I'll O.  I figured I would start at CD 7 and just keep going until I see a positive or AF arrives.  But now I'm confused.  I'm new to this so perhaps I'm reading them wrong but it seemed like my line was almost as dark as the control line on CD 9 and then CD 10 and CD 11 (today) it's become significantly lighter.  So would that indicate that I O'd on CD 9-ish?  If so, that seems kind of early in my 34-36 day cycle.  No wonder we haven't been having any luck, we weren't BD-ing any where close to that time frame.  Unfortunately AF is lingering forever post-BC so at CD 11 I'm still having light bleeding.

Anyone have any insight?  Did I maybe read the strips wrong? I guess that's totally possible considering I've only been using them 5 days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're reading them right.  The CD 9 "almost as dark" was the positive.  However, they don't indicate you're ovulating right then, they pick up the LH surge which precipitates ovulation by 24 - 48 hours.  So, you ovulated on the earlier side on day 10 or 11...well within normal.  Many women do ovulate earlier than mid-cycle, and that's often why they don't get pg by just doing mid-cycle timing - they are always BDing a few days too late.

P.S. LH causes the ripe follicle to burst.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm sure the others will have insight for you clc.  This will be my first month with them, too.  I ordered the 50 pack, so I figure I'll just start when I get them, and if it turns out that I miss the surge this month, there will be plenty more for next month.

Clc, and others, when during the day do you use them?  Should I do it first thing in the morning, and then when I get home from work?  I can't imagine it will be practical, or even possible, to do it at work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

clc, If I were you, I would have called the doctors about the lingering AF.  As far as, the OPKs it could be correct that you got a postive on CD9 and not OV untill CD11 or CD12.  For me , it took me a while to read and understand how the OPKs work.  Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm sure the others will have insight for you clc.  This will be my first month with them, too.  I ordered the 50 pack, so I figure I'll just start when I get them, and if it turns out that I miss the surge this month, there will be plenty more for next month.

Clc, and others, when during the day do you use them?  Should I do it first thing in the morning, and then when I get home from work?  I can't imagine it will be practical, or even possible, to do it at work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LH surges usually are caught in the afternoon so if you don't want to do it at work, do it as soon as you get home for optimal chances of seeing a definitive positive.  

However, I was able to detect a positive (the lines are almost, not exactly, equal) no matter when during the day I took it.  The line might be a tad lighter in the morning of the day of the surge, but it will still be dark enough to know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Nov, I always tested first thing in morning and never had an issue.  I did this mainly because things get crazy in the afternoon for me and I would most likely forget to test.

I just wanted to add: At first I was having a hard time reading the OPKs because it turns out that I wasn't OV-ing.  Once I was OV-ing I could see the test line gradually becoming darker.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I either tested in the morning or when  got home from work (unlike pg tests opks don't have a "right" time... pg tests work best first thing in the mornng).  The instructions say you should let the pee come to room temp before dipping.  So in the morning, I would pee in the cup and let it cool while I showered, and then dip, dump the rest of the cup, and lay out the strip while I got dressed.  By the time I was ready to dry my hair, the strip was ready to be read.   In the afternoon I would sometimes loose track of time because I would start cooking dinner or take the dogs out... but it usually still worked then too.  It took a couple months to really make sense of the results.  I printed out a temp tracking sheet (justformommies.com or something like that) but i just used it to track the opk results.  I would put "-" or "+" on the day and if it were faint or questionable I would put a little note or ? mark so that when I was deciphering things at the end of the month I could remember which readings I was unsure about.  If the lines looked like they were starting to get equally as dark, I would test twice a day until I saw the test line getting lighter.  Eventually I got use to reading the strips.  One or two months I also did the temping .. but I wasn't good about remembering that I needed to do that in my half awake morning state.  By the time I realized that I was suppose to grab the thermometer, the alarm had gone off several times and my body temp was already higher.  So... that is why I thought opks were easier than temping even though it took a few months to get the hang of the opks.  ... oh ... and as soon as the lines even started to look similar in darkness we would start BDing every night or every other ... and we'd continue until they faded out plus a day or so. 

... sorry for the ramble

Best of luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Just thought I'd recommend this site: http://peeonastick.com/ The woman who runs it is VERY comprehensive! I liked that there were lots of photos to go along with the explanations. She has a whole section on OPKs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks all.  Tom, the lingering AF is actually the norm for me (ugh!).  Prior to starting BC AF was generally 12 days which is one of the reasons I started BC in the first place.  While on BC it was 6-7 days but now post-BC it seems to be going back to the 12 days.  Luckily it's not as heavy as when I was in my teens so at least that's something.  Oh well, DH will just have to get over the ick factor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Actually, there is a best time to do an OPK.  The surge is most likely to be caught at its peak the day it happens in the afternoon because that hormone is synthesized in the morning and by the afternoon its had a chance to make it through the kidneys and into the urine.  A positive can be caught in the morning, but it will actually be residual from the LH surge that happened the previous day.  Therefore, if it comes down to right after work or early in the morning, choose after work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

clc, I glad it's a normal AF for you.  Not to long ago did I have AF last 7 to 8 days long but since taking clomid it's down to 4 to 5 days.  Who knows, now that you using the OPKs you guys may get lucky this cycle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

CLC, I think Kar's right that the sticks are working.  If it got darker and then lighter, I would take that as a positive. 

I used to just test every 24 hours, either right after work or first thing in the morning.  I never once let my pee get to room temperature and that didn't seem to affect it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Now I'm stumped.  I continued using the OPK's just in case I read it wrong last week and this morning the test line was just as dark as the control line.  So either I'm not very good at reading these or I O'd twice.  Either way we will continue to BD every other day and hope for the best.

How's everyone else doing?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd guess you caught a rare but possible double LH surge/double ovulation. 

ETA:  I suggest that you give it a couple more months so you can get used to how they look throughout your cycle before switching to something more expensive.  You could be at this for years, and the annual cost of OPK testing could end up being pretty high if you don't stick with the cheap ones.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

clc, I always had a hard time reading the OPK's. That's why I switched to the digital ones (although I got really good at figuing out when I should o so I only had to use about 3 each month).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

clc, It could just be a fluke result on CD9.  Before I went on the metformin I was having weird results with OPKs some-what like you.  My test line would seem to get darker one day (but not as dark as the control line) and the every next day no line.  When the nurse at RE looked at my temp. charts along with the OPK results...She said that my body was getting ready OV but it was delayed.  She told me that delayed OV could happen for a numbers of reasons and not to worry.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Again, the OPK strips pick up on the LH surge.  What happens after that with respect to ovulation is anyone's guess.  Most women ovulate between 24 - 48 hours after the hormone's release into the system, but, as noted, it can be delayed (or not even happen at all).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Ugh clc, that must be so frustrating!  You'll have an OPK buddy soon though - my strips should have arrived in today's mail.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Hi ladies,

Sorry I've been MIA lately, but I've been thinking about you all! Tom, I'm so sorry about AF showing up. How are you feeling? Will you do IUI or timed i/c this cycle? Will your RE increase your dose?

Nov, welcome back to active TTC! Good luck with the OPKs.

clc, I'm sorry the OPKs have been confusing. I've never had a positive OPK on my own...but if I did, I think I'd just treat each positive like I was o-ing and go for it :)

ml, thank you for your honesty. You don't sound bitter. No matter what people say, it's a heck of a lot easier to look back and say "it was so worth it" or "we should have just enjoyed the time together," instead of just "boy, that sure s&cked!" If I somehow had a guarantee from God that I'd be able to conceive in good time, maybe I could chill out. But knowing there's something wrong with me makes me worry all the time that maybe it'll never happen. It's definitely started to put a strain on my relationship with DH. When I do get my BFP, I'll be very happy to close the door on this stuff.

Kar, how are you doing?

Boston, how are you feeling? How far along are you?

I'm hanging out in the 1ww at 8-9DPO. My only symptom is strangely sore n*pples. It seems like when I do O, they get sore for a few days, but this time they got sore and have been so for over a week. Also have broken out in the past few days, and have a slightly foggy brain that could very well be chalked up to business travel exhaustion...but that's it. It's sooo hard not to get my hopes up...I just spent awhile trolling twoweekwait.com :)  Anyway - if this cycle doesn't work out, I think we're moving on to IVF on my RE's recommendation. We did greater doses of injectibles, trigger, back-to-back IUIs, and confirmed O with ultrasound, so if this one doesn't work, the odds of future attempts working don't look so good.

Anyway, hope everybody's doing well!

Sections
Shortcuts