June 2013 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

June 2013 TTC

How's everyone doing?

I'm "out" at 41 and not interested in going the medical route, but I am happy to offer support. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Re: June 2013 TTC

Hi Kar, I'm older than you and still not willing to be "out"!  After a failed donor cycle a few months back, we're trying again with a new donor.  I realize it isn't an option for everyone but the donor egg route brought us DS- and he's a crazy sweet and happy toddler now- so it was the right choice for us.  I just hope we can be so lucky again. 

Best of luck to everyone this month!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Hi All, 

AF finally arrived so we decided to go for the IVF cycle now since it will be done with by the time we go on vacation.  The bag of medicications was delivered last night, it is overwhelming!  DH and I met with the nurse to get a quick run through of the different medications and the way she explained it, hopefully it won't be too bad!  Still nervous about the multiple possibility, though we want another baby so it is what it is...might just push our move to the suburbs sooner!  :)  I go for the baseline U/S on Sunday and start the first medications then, too.  I have been on the pill for the last 2 weeks and boy do I not miss that.  I used to get terrible migraines that stopped once I stopped the pill, they were back last week.  I was reading the birth control thread with interest since after this I know I definitely do not want to go back on the pill after this. 

Good luck to everyone this month, I hope you are all doing well!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tc, best wishes as you stay "in". :)

med, to you, too - I hope the stuff you have to take for IVF doesn't cause migraines, too.  I get debilitating migraines so I understand.  Hormones...poweful bugggers. (why is my last word banned by bdc?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Technically, buggger is british slang for someone who practices sodomy.  It can also be used as a verb.

In response to kargiver's comment:

tc, best wishes as you stay "in". :)

med, to you, too - I hope the stuff you have to take for IVF doesn't cause migraines, too.  I get debilitating migraines so I understand.  Hormones...poweful bugggers. (why is my last word banned by bdc?)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ohhh, whoops!  Thanks...guess I won't be saying that anymore, lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Tc - Haven't been around the boards much recently but I am super excited you decided to try another donor!  Having 2 has been such an amazing trip so far! :)  Good luck to you!

Hi to you Kar!  I am 41 too now.  Ugh!  What happened?  I feel like I just finished high school!!

Good luck Wed!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, lil - omg, you are reading my thoughts?  How did you do that?  I am usually one to go right to sleep at night, but last night I was almost in a panic about how fast life is going by.  I thought about how 20 years ago seems like yesterday, I had to count on my fingers from our wedding date to be SURE we are approaching our 5th wedding anniversary, etc.  I don't know why it has hit me all of a sudden, but WHERE has the TIME gone?  And, how can I be 41?  41!!  Other (old) people are our age, LOL.  It sounds very strange to me to tell anyone I'm 41, almost like I'm telling a lie.

Anyway, I digress from TTC, but your saying that obviously really rang true with me.  Hugs, you fellow old fartt!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Thanks lil!! I still feel indebted to you for sharing your donor experience as I was struggling with whether to go the donor route. DS is so amazing (I'm sure every mom thinks their LO is the sweetest) that I'm praying we can have another.  I used to wonder if it'd bother me if people asked who he looked like and it kind of amuses me now... he has really curly hair and everyone asks where he got it. Today I thought, hmm, how will I ever love another child this much but I'm going to trust that I will. 

Kar, it's only a number, you're only as old as you feel! though I agree that time is flying by way too fast, especially lately : )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tc, everyone struggles with the question of loving the next as much as the first regardless of how the children are brought into the world.  And, the truth is, they will be different people and you will love them differently.  Maybe you'll even prefer the company of one over the other due to their likes and dislikes, personalities, etc. and how they mesh (or not so much) with yours.  And, that's OK and totally natural.  It won't mean you LOVE one more than the other.

True, just a number, and truth be told I'm fine with being in my 40s.  My freak out moment was that the latter half of my life is whizzing by too fast on a bullet train.  Weekends with DH are always "suddenly" over on Monday mornings, you know?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Kar - Totally feel the same way.  I have been freaking out about the time as well.  I feel like the weeks just fly by.  They had an interesting program on NPR about how time seems to go the fastest  to people in their 40s and 50s but eventually seems to slow down again as they get older - hope so!! :)

Aw, thanks TC.  My girls look just like my husband - nothing like me.  I think it is sort of funny as well.  There is not a minute that goes by when I have even a hint of regret about doing the donor.  Unfortunately, most of us have to go through all the excruciating steps to get there first!  I had this strange experience after our second child when my period was late and I was freaking out because I did not want to be pregnant.  Of course, that is laughable but it really struck home for me how little I am interested in the biologic child at this point . One would think after all that I have been through I would have been over-the- top happy.  Isn't that funny?

Goes to show how when it is all said and done, it really to me makes no difference how I had them.  They are so mine!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for your empathizing; I was starting to feel crazy.

Funnily enough, I have friends and a brother and SIL who didn't have medical intervention, and their kids look JUST like the dads and NONE like the moms.  It would be obvious, too, because they are ethnically diverse couples. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Quiet over here the past month or so!  We are considering trying for #2 in the next few months.  I go to the OB next month so going to have my check up and then go off the pill in August.  Which reminds me that I should start my prenatals again very soon!  It took us 9 months to get pg with DS so not sure what we have in store for this time around.  DS turned one last week so if we get pg this fall they will be 2 years apart which would be great.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Insurance approvals for a second round of IVF came through today. Last day on the pill is Sunday. To hopefully circumvent horrible back issues this time around, I'm trying to schedule an acupuncture appt on Sunday as well. I'm almost out of sick days at work, thanks to a stomach virus DS picked up last week. I can't afford to miss any more work or I will be so behind it's not even funny.

My dr changed my drug protocol this time around - my estrogen levels were crazy high last time around and they had to cycle me down too quickly to avoid hyper ovarian stimulation, which probably caused the issue with the embryo quality.

As for the whole age thing - I got carded the other day and the waitress told me I looked 10 years younger. I wanted to jump up and hug her, but it also made me think about where I was 10 years ago, too. Working at a job that was stressful (retail management), in debt (thanks, student loans), trying not to kill DH as we struggled to find harmony in our first apartment together. I think of all the balance I have now and all the things I know I accomplished (marriage, new career, motherhood, home ownership, not killing DH because he STILL shrinks my clothes when he does laundry). As glad as I am to *look* ten years younger, I'm pretty okay with being 35.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm thrilled with being in my 40s for all the peace and harmony that maturity brings.  That's exactly why I'm suddently aware of how fast it's going - I'm finally loving life so much I don't want it to speed by.  I spent the first 1/2 of my life wanting to speed things up, and now all I want to do is slow it down!

clc, best as you go off bc - hoping for that "magic" 2 year age difference.

Congrats on the insurance win, KMMZ!  Best wishes. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissGirl. Show MissGirl's posts

Good luck KMMZ!  Hope the acupuncture helps you out this time around.

CLC- I'm not too familiar with your background, but wondering if there was anything you did differently in that magic month that you think helped you to get pregnant after 9 mos?  I'm coming up on a similar time frame, would love to hear anything I can do to up my chances.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Hey Miss Girl, I have pretty long cycles and was ovulating a lot later than I thought in my cycle.  So we weren't bd'ing at the right time and I finally figured that out after several months.  After 4 months of unsucessful trying and one 60 day cycle I finally started using the OPK strips which took me a few months to figure out but ended up working out great for me. Also, I took Mucinex the month I got pg.  Not sure if that was a total coincidence or not but it certainly didn't hurt. 

I'm a little nervous about getting pg again because of all the bleeding at the beginning of my pregnancy last time around.  I had heavy period-like bleeding from the start until week 13 and then spotting at week 16, 31 and 33.  It was a nerve-wracking first tri to say the least.  I guess at least this time I know that I can have a successful pregnancy even with all of that bleeding but I doubt I will be able to relax.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Missgirl, 6 - 12 momths is a normal amount of time it takes to get pg.  After a year, it's generally considered time to see if there's a medical reason that is preventing it.  Knowing when you ovulate, though, is key.  Day 14 of a 28 day cycle is the average, not necessarily when YOU ovulate.

clc, I can understand your intrepidation, but just because there was bleeding in your first pregnancy doesn't mean anything with respect to your second.  Many pregnancy experiences are one-time events specfic to that one pregnancy, not common to all the pregnancies of a particular mother.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, Kar.  I'm sure you're right and hopefully we don't go through that again! 

Miss Girl, now that I think back I'm pretty sure I was ovulating closer to the 18 day mark which is exactly why I was missing my O.  What I did the month I got pg is started using the OPKs at day 6 (a few days early, I think most recommend starting at day 8) and test all the way through until day 18 when I got my positive.  If only I had done a similar schedule the first month I probably would have known that I o'd later than the norm. I had bought the cheapy strips from Amazon and didn't mind using a lot of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissGirl. Show MissGirl's posts

Thanks Kar and CLC!  

CLC that does sound very nervewracking.  Hopefully you will not have that experience 2nd time around, or at least if you do you know that it is not necessarily the sign of a problem.

I have been using OPKs so I have a good idea of my timing, but maybe will look into adding Mucinex next month just in case.  I know I am still within the "normal" time frame, but figure why not explore anything that might help give me a boost!  I am expecting AF this weekend, and pretty sure that she will come.  Luckily I have a busy weekend ahead, so hopefully that will keep me from obsessing...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There's a 24 hour version of mucinex that was pretty expensive, but I recommend it based on how it kept my cold from becoming bronchitis, a minor miracle.  It must reallllly work.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Miss Girl,  have you talked to your OB since you started TTC?  When we started mine wanted to hear from me after 4 unsuccessful cycles.  He said that he wasn't sure there would be anything he could do at that point considering I'm not AMA or have any other known risk factors but still asked me to check in.  I of course didn't so I'm not a great example but he did want to hear from me!  It's at least worth a phone call.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

MissGirl, if you have any background of irregular cycles or family history of infertility, I'd honey badger your doctor's office until they talk to you too. I knew I didn't ovulate on my own (and hadn't for years), but it was a major process to get a doctor to give me the time of day (had to switch providers in the end). Good luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

How is everyone doing?  I am discouraged today.  I am in the midst of our first IVF cycle and at today's u/s the dr only saw 2 follicles, yesterday there were 4 mature ones.  Which dr. is right?  This was our last day of meds, scheduled to do the trigger shot tonight (at 2am!) and he tells me we basically don't have much chance this time around since we will likely only get 2 eggs.  I just don't know how things could change so much in one day, I am hoping today's dr missed something.  My dr called me later and told me based on the findings we could continue with the retrieval on Friday or switch to an IUI.  I wish she had been there this morning, she also tells it like it is though can deliver the news much better.  There is not much difference in chance with either procedure so we are going to just go ahead and finish out the cycle with the retrieval and see what happens.  I think I would wonder what might have happened if I didn't do it.  So I am already preparing myself for another round.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We'd, sorry you're looking at what might not be the most promising cycle.  2 eggs wouldn't be enough?  I'm admittedly quite ignorant of the intricacies, but I hope you won't have to go through all this much longer.