low basal body temperature?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amrunner. Show amrunner's posts

low basal body temperature?

Hi All-

I've been a lurker for a while now, but this is my first post. My husband and I just started TTC, although we've been charting for a while (I can't use BC b/c of a blood clotting disorder so we've used charting as a backup birth control method).

I'm wondering if anyone else has low temps. Mine are regularly between 96.6 and 96.8 before ovulation and then between 97.2 and 97.4/97.6 after ovulation. I remember reading in TCOYF that low temps can be a sign of hypothryroid. My mom has hyperthyroid, but I don't think I have any other symptoms (pretty regular cycles, etc.). I could probably explain away any other symptoms (I'm sometimes colder than other people, but not excessively, I'm sometimes tired, but I'm also a marathon runner, etc, etc).  I asked my PCP about it once, but she said that it might just be that I sleep with my mouth open. I also temp at 5 am, so I'm not sure how much of an impact that has versus temping a bit later in the morning. As a kid, I remember my mom saying that my temp generally ran a little lower than usual (thus if my temp was 99 she'd consider that a fever for me).

Could I just have a low basal body temperature? Has anyone else had low temps but a normal thyroid?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: low basal body temperature?

If you sleep w/ your mouth open, you aren't going to get a good reading. You may want to try taking your temperature another way - I think you know where I mean.  lol.

I have a low standard temp, but it always goes up after ovulation.  If I do get a low reading after I've ovulated, I assume that it's 'off'.  Maybe you just need a new thermometer?  Also, if you have a dip down for a day or 2, that's normal according to TCOYF, I think. Isn't that a sign that you are about to or have ovulated?  Mine will be 97.6 or .7, then drop down to around 97.2 or 97.5 around O time, and then shoot up to 98 or above. 

ETA: my thyroid is totally normal. I was tested w/in the last 2 months. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

am - i am the same as alf, low temps (in the 96.4-ish range) that increase after ovulation.  no thyroid problems.  does your temp spike after ovulation?  dumb question - does hyperthyroid affect getting pg?  have you gotten tested for it by a dr?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amrunner. Show amrunner's posts

My temp does spike after ovulation--it has a pretty "normal" pattern except that everything is lower. I've been debating calling my dr, but feel sort of silly because my only real symptom is low temps. I'm not really sure how the thyroid affects fertility.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

hi am runner--i also have low bbt (same as you, hovering in the the high 96 range prior to ovulation and hitting high 97 range afterwards).  several years before i even started tracking my bbt, i had some thyroid tests performed and all came back normal.  i think that we're still in the "normal range" and my dr has never said anything to me indicating i should be concerned.  my dh and i recently made an appt with an RE and are getting all our initial tests done.  when we do our follow up appt with her later this month, i can double check on the temp question.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amrunner. Show amrunner's posts

Thanks!

It helps to know that I'm not the only one with low temperatures. While I found TCOYF super helpful, sometimes I think it makes me overanalyze everything.

For the time being, I think I'm going to assume that I'm normal. I figure that if we weren't charting, we'd have no idea what was going on with my temperatures, would have no reason to assume anything was abnormal and would just be BDing and hoping for the best.  If we get to the point where we think we need to talk to a dr, at least I'll be armed with plenty of charts :-).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuscany2008. Show Tuscany2008's posts

am - I generally run cold also. I have only been charting for a month, but my bbt hovered around 96.8 to 97.2 until I ovulated where it spiked to 98.5, stayed around 98.0 - 98.2 for a couple of days and is back down into the 97.5 to 97.8 range.  Like you, I have wondered in the past if I had any thyroid problems because my regular body temp is always well below 98.6, but all of my tests came back normal. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

In Response to Re: low basal body temperature?:
    hi am runner--i also have low bbt (same as you, hovering in the the high 96 range prior to ovulation and hitting high 97 range afterwards).  several years before i even started tracking my bbt, i had some thyroid tests performed and all came back normal.  i think that we're still in the "normal range" and my dr has never said anything to me indicating i should be concerned.  my dh and i recently made an appt with an RE and are getting all our initial tests done.  when we do our follow up appt with her later this month, i can double check on the temp question.
    Posted by echeri

am- my BBT runs low too, as does my normal body temp, and I am hypothyroid, but just on the border. I was on thyroid meds when I got pregnant and will remain on them uninterrupted until I'm done having children since the meds do help with egg quaility, getting and staying pregnant (or so it was explained to me). I'd stick with your plan you stated above, keep it in the back of your mind and if you find you are having problems they can check your levels. Or I'd mention it at your next check up-no need to make a special apt-and they can run an easy blood test.

Best of luck!

Sections
Shortcuts