March 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March 2011

Interesting, thistle, thanks.  I wonder why there are so many here so quick to tell me there's no correlation between ovulation time and AF's arrival time.  I thought TCOYF was widely read.  I haven't read it myself, but it's oft quoted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Kar- your not the only one who AF arrives 14 day after OV but I also agree with thisleflower that it can vary from women to women.

I had the same question a while back and the RE confirm that I was reading my charts correctly which was a big relief.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Ovulation triggers AF's arrival. However, it does not mean that ovulation definitely occurs exactly 14 days prior to AF's arrival. That interval can vary from woman to woman, but for each woman, it is consistent.

The confusion seems to be the assumption that you know when you ovulated because AF arrives 14 days later. It is not correct for every woman to count back 14 days. It's possible that you actually ovulate 13 days before (or 15).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Since I said something in the OPK thread, I'll respond to you, Kar. I didn't see anyone questioning the correlation between O and AF's arrival. What everyone here is saying is totally correct--the luteal phase is the time between O and AF when progesterone is released to support a possible pg. 14 days is typical, but it varies from woman to woman. Anywhere from 10-16 days is considered "normal" to support a preganncy. My only comment the other day was that a positive OPK is not necessarily an indicator that O does, in fact, occur. They just measure the hormone that appears as the body is gearing up to O. Unfortunately, as I said, I have friends who were getting + OPKs, and AF, but were not actually ovulating. The only way to confirm O has occured is ultrasound monitoring or a measurable BBT rise while charting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't know who said what, but "people" have told me that there's no correlation at all between ovulation and AF's arrival time.

For me it's 14 days.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Hmm... not that I often lurk on TTC, but I have a friend who had to go to their OB to do an ultrasound because she thought the same thing.  Turns out she was not ovulating.  She had to start clomid to start the process going and then she got pregnant.  It just turns out that she wasn't O'ing at all on her own although she was getting +OPKs and AF 14 days later.  Maybe that would be an avenue you would pursue?  Seems like you've been trying for so long and it would be great if it was something simple like that!  I keep hoping and praying for all the TTC girls!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to want people to take Clomid. I charted for months and after about a year of trying my OBGYN suggested that I go back on BC for 3 months to see if that would 'reset' my system.  I had a clear ovulatory pattern [BBT; I didn't use OPK tests].  I thought she was nuts. But I did it. I got pg 2 months after I finished my 3 packs.  I had a m/c, but dang it, taking BC worked.  I had no interest in Clomid, so she suggested the BC once she discussed w/ me my reluctance to take fertility meds. I had no issue w/ BC but do w/ fertility drugs for a variety of reasons that I don't want to go into here- but among them is the fact that twins run in my family and I'm older so I"m more prone to multiples anyway.  When I got pg it was w/ twins; I have visions of becoming Octomom II if I take Clomid or any other fertility meds.  

There is no need to immediately start taking Clomid or other fertility meds.  If you are not adverse to it, discuss taking BC for a few cycles to see if it works. I didn't want to 'waste' cycles, and thought taking BC was counterintuitive to getting pg, but it worked.  GL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, lg!  It could be it, but I did have a m/c so what are the chances it was a one time ovulation...?  Thanks for that story, though, it's something to consider, although, I wouldn't take clomid for personal reasons.  Maybe the m/c gave me a false sense of ovulation security...?

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I wonder if an U/S if you were up for it would confirm the timing of O?  I think that she needed Clomid b/c she wasn't O'ing, but as ALF said above, maybe BC would trigger it too if it just wasn't happening.  Something about monitoring follicles with ultrasounds was what she did.  

And sorry to both you and ALF, Kar about your M/C.  :-(  I hope you guys both become moms!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, again, lg. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

I talked to the NP today and my hcg levels are back to zero. I asked if we needed to wait a cycle to try again and she said they recommend it. But then she also said that whatever happens, happens. I'm taking that as my green light. I'm hoping for a positive OPK in the next couple of days then to join you all in the 2ww again. Good luck to all!

I am going to the RE for the 1st time next week. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the first visit? I am assuming they ask about my history, draw blood, and maybe do an exam? TIA. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Jacon, I'd take that as a green light, too ;) Here's hoping for that + OPK!

For my first RE visit, both DH and I had to fill out and bring along lengthy questionnaires about our heath histories. If you don't have to do that beforehand, I'd come prepared to talk about all that stuff, including some mighty personal questions about your s%x life! The RE read through both questionnaires and asked a lot of questions, and then told us her hypotheses as to what was going on and what we could do about it. I think she ordered provera and some bloodwork, but I didn't have an actual exam that day. Her (awesome) nurses and ultrasonographers have handled pretty much everything else since then. I expect that if clomid doesn't work for me within a few cycles, I'd go back and see her again.

HTH! Let me know if you have more questions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Jacon- on my first visit with RE they went over our history, medical records and perform an u/s.   They will usually schedule blood work on day 3 of your next cycle and go from there.  I hope this help...good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

My first RE visit we just went over my medical history and she came up with a battery of tests for me to undergo, and then we talked about my options in terms of IUI/IVF.  There wasn't an exam.

I'm now spotting, just a tiny tiny bit.  So naturally I'm freaking out, but there's nothing to do about it but wait and see what happens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Oh no Thistle. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing! Best of luck and keep us posted.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

GL, thistle - it could definitely be nothing.  Pulling for you!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thistle, I'm sending you any leftover good luck I didn't use this month. Just got the call - BFN for clomid cycle #1. So disappointing. Looks like I'll be enjoying some wine, sushi, and long runs this weekend.

In case Stefani checks out this thread - Stefani, you'd mentioned that it took you 2 clomid cycles to get your BFP? Did you try anything different the second month? My RE basically said "what do you want to do?" and I was thinking "um, aren't you supposed to guide me here?" I asked if she'd recommend IUI, and she said that sounded like a good idea. Sooo....yeah. I guess we'll try that...

GL to all the 2ww ladies!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

GL Thistle!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tang, sorry to hear it didn't work right away.  I thought you were going skiing...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

In Response to Re: March 2011:
    [QUOTE]Tang, sorry to hear it didn't work right away.  I thought you were going skiing...
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Kar. We did ski last weekend :)  Jeez, maybe I should go skiing this weekend, too!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I knew it was around the time you were hoping to be pg.  Yeah, why not?  Spring is overtaking Winter.  Happens fast!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Congrats thistle and itsallnew, that's great news!

Sorry about AF Jenn, that stinks.

I'm sort of in the 2ww as well, though it'll be slightly shorter as I go for bloodwork 11 days after my frozen transfer.  At day 9 now and have to say, I'm not feeling optimistic.  No symptoms whatsoever- nothing. Last time I had some cramping (though the pg didn't last, at least I knew something was happening). Oh well, I guess only time will tell for sure.

Best of luck to all this month!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Tangerine--I got pregnant on my 3rd cycle of clomid.  After the 1st cycle, the RE increased the dose, after the 2nd cycle, the RE increased the dose to the maximum AND shifted the days when I was supposed to take it.  I wish I remembered the details of dose and days, but it was 2 1/2 years ago and those details have faded.  In any case, I got pregnant on the 3rd cycle with twins (who are now 21 months old).  I never had IUI, but it can't hurt. ;)

Also...you may have seen either Stefani or me mention this before, but don't rely on OPKs to tell you when you're ovulating.  Both of us got pregnant--with fraternal twins (ovulated 2ce)--on cycles where we never saw an LH surge.  I even used the digital ones and tested twice a day on the most-likely days for ovulation.  So...a good tool if they work, but don't rely on them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tc, every pregnancy can feel very different even for the same woman - keep your chin up!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thanks so much, Daisy...you give me hope! I couldn't get the RE herself on the phone, but her nurse was really bumming me out...said the odds are less than 10% for any given clomid cycle to result in pg. I started on 100mg, days 3-7, and the RE doesn't want to increase my dosage (or switch days) yet...do you remember if you were on 150 mg for your 3rd cycle? I think that's the max they'll allow. Also, fortunately I didn't have to rely on OPKs - I had a trigger shot of HSG, and will do that again this month.

I'm a little nervous about the IUI, and am still considering whether I want to take that step just yet...it does seem a tad aggressive. But like you said, it can't hurt!

Fingers crossed for you, tc!

Sections
Shortcuts