March 2013 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

March 2013 TTC

Happy March, everyone, and best wishes to those still hopeful.  Maybe WPP started a BFP trend. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: March 2013 TTC

Yeah, more BFPs this month! I'm 6 weeks today and can't wait for the next two weeks to go by so we can go for the u/s to hear the heartbeat...RE said the risks decrease a lot after that. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Exciting!  Take your folate - the spinal column is already forming. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Thanks for starting the month off Kar.  Good luck WPP! I remember the U/S with DD around 7 weeks, it was cool to see the heartbeat.  The nurse turned up the sound on the U/S machine to let me listen, too.  

No luck last month for me.  AF came on Friday.  I have an appointment with the dr. on Tuesday to discuss next steps, which should be IVF based on our last discussion.  Anyone that has gone through IVF can you let me know what to expect?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

WPP I hope the next two weeks fly by for you.

Wedoct- I have no experience but I hope you get a lot of your questions answered next week.

I'm just hanging out, waiting on AF. She is certainly showing but we didn't have a good try this past month due to travel so c'est la vie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Same boat as Wedoct - IVF's our next step. Just waiting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Also, random question. Does anyone have any advice about how to look into adoption?

At this point we'd just be dipping our toes in the water so to speak but we are very open to it considering our circumstances.  Should we make an appointment with an agency? Is there a group or non-biased info session that we could attend?  Etc. etc. Just not sure where to start...

Thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Happy March everyone, hope this month brings some good news. We're on track for our donor IVF cycle, hoping for a transfer around the 17th - maybe we'll have the luck of the Irish!

I'm sure others can share more info about IVF but I did one regular cycle before going the donor route. Because of my age (then 42) and FSH, I didn't have a great response to the meds. So no bad side effects but only 2-3 follicles too. One concern for me going into it was that I hated needles and couldn't imagine doing the injections but it turned out that they really weren't bad at all, more of an inconvenience than anything else. I had a friend who had gone thru IVF just before me so it was really helpful having her to talk to; I found the initial drug order and injection directions a little overwhelming but the nurses at Boston IVF were really helpful.

Oh, and before we decided on the donor egg route, we considered adoption. We went to an info session by one adoption agency, I think it was called Full Circle.  I also requested info from a few other places. I found the adoption info a little tough to understand as I was never really clear on the different state law issues (an adoption agency here may end up working with a birth mother in another state and each state's laws may differ, etc). Ultimately we decided on the donor egg route because I wanted to experience a pregnancy and we wanted to have a child genetically linked to DH. I agonized over the decision for many months and got lots of great advice from Lil and others on these boards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thanks tc and GL to you!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Thanks for the info TC, good luck with your IVF round!  MissWolf, good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

Wow, just got back from the RE and my head is spinning.  I didn't realize there were so many different injections needed with IVF.  Due to my age (40 in the Spring) my ins company is requiring me to do a Clomid challenge.  Basically they just need to check how my eggs respond to the Clomid, it's sort of a step back for me at this point.  Annoying that it is going to waste a month, though my RE said since we are doing the Clomid anyway might as well combine it with an IUI so that is what we will do.  Can't start it until next month though since today is already day 4, so that is frustrating.  Pushes the IVF cycle back until May at this point assuming all the insurance approvals come in on time.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

MW, a family friend in CT has adopted two babies in the past several years using Catholic Family Services. She lives in CT but I'm not sure if CFS was in CT or MA. She had great luck using CFS -- I believe she got the second baby within 6 months of starting the process. Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

wedoct, I went through 2 rounds of ivf this past summer/fall.  We had issues with both low sperm count and me being a poor responder (due to an awful AMH level) which they didn't find until after they weren't able to get any eggs from me the first round.  So I ended up trying two different protocols - long lupron (bcps followed by lupron and follistim) and antagonist (estrogen patch followed by ganirelix, menopur and follistim).  I remember clearly how shocked I was when they gave me my calendar with injection schedules and even worse was when the massive box of drugs arrived at my doorstep.  It was so intimidating and I used to hate injections and pass out when my blood was drawn (doesn't bother me anymore though).  But honestly the hardest part of it all was the waiting to see if it worked... just like what you've already been dealing with.  In some ways it was easier than the last months of regular trying because with every shot and ultrasound it felt like I was actually able to do something to influence our chances that month.

The egg retrieval process was no big deal.  They put you to sleep so you don't feel a thing even though the procedure really only takes 15 minutes.  I didn't have any cramping or anything after either.  I only got to do the transfer once but that was actually really fun.  They show you your baby(s) they are implanting which is just amazing and it feels no differnt then getting a pap smear.  I went to RSC for the procedures and they were great.

I'm 22 weeks pregnant now with boy/girl twins and can't believe it.  It wasn't the most pleasant way to get pregnant overall but the results make every minute of it worth it.  Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions along the way since its all really fresh to me at this point.  I also found the fertile thoughts website really helpful going through the process.  They have a cycle group forum section specifically for people starting their round of ivf each month.  It was great getting advice and support from 20+ people going through the exact same part of the process at the same time with the same meds, etc. 

Hope the Clomid/IUI combo does the trick for you, but if it doesn't come May just take it one day at a time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Wed, did your RE start you on clomid when you began the fertility treatment? I always thought that was the first step in the protocol. Have you ever been on clomid before? I hope your IUI works and then you won't need the injections. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

SS, thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I am glad it wasn't just me that found it daunting!  DH couldn't come with me today since DD has pinkeye and couldn't go to daycare so I had to take in all in myself.  She recommended the antagonist protocol for me. 

WPP, we did clomid IUI to conceive DD and luckily it worked on the 2nd try.  Due to my FSH levels and age, we skipped that step this time around and went right to FSH injections with IUI, with 2 failed attempts.  In order for insurance to cover anything once I turn 40, I have to do this clomid challenge. It needs to happen and the results sent to them before I turn 40, otherwise things stall for awhile, so while I have a couple more months, the dr. didn't want to be in the middle of the IVF round and have them pull the plug.  I don't know if this is a universal thing or just Harvard Pilgrim.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Wed- Blue Cross has similar hurdles once you turn 40.  Before age 40, low FSH is considered premature ovarian failure but at 40 and beyond, it's not "premature" and the insurance company can claim it's the normal aging process v. a medical condition. I'm guessing other insurers are similar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

Congrats WPP!

Good luck tc. I'm intrigued with the donor process, thanks for talking about it. We were just about there ourselves, for the same reasons you listed. After my mc's, I really wanted to experience a full pregnancy.

Loving the informative discussions on here. Everyone is so helpful.

As for me: 14 weeks! We did nothing different, just decided to try again.

I had blood drawn to do genetic tests last week. It could take up to 10 days to come back, which is making me crazy. They FedEx-ed it somewhere. We have told a few close friends, but we're holding off on family until we get our test results back. Given that all my mc's were genetic based, I'm not resting easy just yet, though I wish I could.

I'l keep my fingers crossed for you all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Hib!!  14 weeks is VERY encouraging, although, I understand your still being nervous.  Hoping and praying this baby is not only viable but perfectly healthy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations on 14 weeks Hib.  Hoping you get speedy and positive results!  It's been a long road for you; I pray this is your take home baby!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Holding my breath for you Hib!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Congrats Hib!!! 14 weeks is very promising and hope the time flies by until you get the test results and can feel even more reassured!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hib, 14 weeks is so great!! I hope your tests come back with good news, but it sounds like you're on track for a healthy pregnancy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

And everyone stay safe today--I bailed on work because my coastal town is flooded and there are road closures. Tried to leave and it was terrifying; kept spinning out even at 10 mph.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Sounds smart WPP! I woke up thinking I could just drive myself to the train station and quickly realized 15-20 mins before I wanted to leave that, no it would probably be a better idea if DH drove me instead so I had to wake him up out of a sound sleep.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Just an update: my insurance company is requiring me to see a nutritionist before they'll approve any IVF procedure.  I know I could stand to lose some weight, but nothing like feeling even more demoralized about things, right?

My husband (you're reading this correctly) has been put on Clomid. He had low volume on his last analysis and they sent him to a urologist.  He calls it his 'lady pills', which is super annoying, but also really funny.  I wonder if it'll make him as b*tchy as it made me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sally2340. Show Sally2340's posts

In response to KMMZ1012's comment:

KMZ- my father was actually put on Clomid as well which helped conceive me. Apparently it's not just a lady pill!

Sections
Shortcuts