March TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Re: March TTC

hi all - thanks.  this is my first m/c and i don't feel like i've lost a "baby" or "person" - it's just so early and i didn't really internalize it yet - so that's positive/makes it easier.  mainly i just want to move on and be done with this chapter - the D&E can't come soon enough this afternoon to make me start feeling "normal" again.

chiclet - my company (in MA) didn't cover infertility b/c it's privately insured - privately insured co's are not required to provide infertility coverage despite the state law.  but, then a co-worker ended up going to our CEO and complaining that she was going to have to quit b/c she had spent a fortune on IVF etc, and they ended up changing our policy - so, i guess, never say never.  my company has about 250 ppl.  (i ended up paying out of pocket for my treatments - diagnosis and then clomid.)  anyway, at least you have the option of getting back on your own insurance in january - but such a bummer to have to wait.  GL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you're doing well, stef, and hoping the D&E (is that different than a D&C?) goes well and you'll feel like yourself soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Stef, it sounds like you're in the best possible spirits. I hope today's procedure is quick and painless and you can get back to being yourself soon. You're in my thoughts today.

Siena - I was sorry to read your news as well. I hope today's blood draws surprise you. You're in my thoughts as well.

Thanks for the insurance info. Tom, I didn't realize there were grants. I'll have to look into them. The CEO at DH's company is just coming back from paternity leave himself, so maybe he'll be extra sympathetic. Even if nothing changes, I'm sure they would like to know that their plan doesn't meet all of their employees needs. 

JLeigh - You can have poly-cystic ovaries and not have PCOS. (And you can have PCOS without poly-cystic ovaries. Go figure.) I have the ovaries and chin hairs (that seem to be hereditary because every woman on my mom's side has them and there's been no history of PCOS or infertility) but I don't have the insulin resistance. The injection medication alone is $800/vial, but there's also bloodwork and ultrasounds every 3 days or something, so that treatment can run $5,000 per cycle with only a 14% chance of success. It's almost as expensive as one round of IVF. I asked the doctor about paying out of pocket but he dismissed it. I guess if we found that neither of our insurances covered it, we could discuss self-payment, but I am pretty sure that my company will cover at least part of it. My insurance now covers the diagnosis and monitoring but not the treatment. We've been lucky that so far we've only paid office visit copays.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Chiclet - regarding the insurance piece of it - I'd see if you can take a look at your company's existing health coverage and maybe place a discreet/anonymous call to their insurance company's help line to figure out what is covered and what isn't.  My company based in MA does not cover most fertility drugs.  I think it's a state law for a state agency to cover it but not a private company.  Not sure where you work but defintiely check it out before waiting until December because you don't want to be surprised.

As a side note, insurance companies totally suck sometimes.  We have decent coverage through a major insurance company that everyone has heard of and we've had to pay a ton of money already this year for me for my thus-far uncomplicated pregnancy and other routine health needs for my husband and daughter.  We've been warned by a fellow employee who had a baby in January that we *have* to call the insurance company once I go into labor to authorize me to stay overnight in the hospital, and if we don't "pre-authorize" then we are subject to a $200 penalty.  My friend, who went into labor a few weeks early and her labor progressed fairly quickly, didn't have the place of mind to do so, and just received a bill in the mail for this fee, which she is attempting to fight, but likely will have to pay.  Ugh!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Hi Stef- I am sorry to hear of your news, but glad you are feeling ok with it.  I hope you continue to heal quickly.

Siena-  You are in my thoughts. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I am so sorry Stefani!

Siena - I am thinking about you today as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Stef, good luck today.  You have a very positive attitude which I really commend you for.

Siena... hope that your results come back soon so you don't have to go through more waiting.  And wishing for the best for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

D&E was fine - kar, i don't know what D&C stands for, but D&E is dilation and evacuation, and that's what they called it at the hospital (BWH). thanks everyone for the well wishes. i just housed a TUNA salad and will be guzling a big glass(es) of wine tonight with a big fat blue cheese burger. turning lemons into lemonaid! ;) xo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

Mine was called D&C, dilation and curettage, which I think means the same thing as what you had, Stefani. Close enough, anyway. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Take care and get some rest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thank you for the well wishes yesterday. I was right about bad news yesterday.  My hCG was barely rising, and my OB has determined this is not a viable pg.  I have a D&C scheduled for today.  (I would have elected to take misoprostol instead, but they want to do the procedure so they could rule out ectopic pregnancy.)  

I think there is some linguistic confusion over terminology for these procedures.  Some people use the terms D&C and D&E interchangeably, or with the word evacuation to indicate the use of suction in addition to or in lieu of a curette. However, I think the most common terminology is to use D&E's to refer to the procedure performed later in pregnancy for 2nd trimester loss and D&C's for earlier loss (often including early in the 2nd trimester). I think if we are going to get technical, the procedure I'm having today is not a full-fledged D&C, because it is a relatively early loss so they don't actually expect to use a currete.  

I was going to post a link here with further details, but maybe it's just disturbing to think about at this point.  I apologize if this discussion has put anyone off.  I don't recommend googling it.  Since the same procedures are used for missed or incomplete miscarriage as for elective abortion you get a lot of hits with venemous and emotionally loaded language.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Siena, so sorry your m/c was confirmed and you need to go through this.  Thanks for the currette v evacuation explanation.  I'd never heard of the D&E before stefani's.

Sad news, unfortunately, is a natural part of the TTC experience and we are all pleased to be there for each other in the joys AND the sorrows.

HUGS!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Siena - I'm very sorry that your m/c was confirmed.  I will keep you and your DH in my prayers.  I hope some day soon you can enjoy a happy, healthy pregnancy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Siena, I'm so sorry about the m/c. Best luck at your appointment today and for fast healing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Siena, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your procedure today is quick and painless and you and DH get all the care you need. You're in my prayers today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Stefani, I'm glad that your procedure could go as well as possible and Siena, I hope that yours is also quick and as painless as possible. 

Sad times on the boards. Frown

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I have some better news for the boards...I got a job in my new field (of massage therapy)! I'm really excited. Now I'm hoping that my license comes through quickly so I can actually start working. 

I'm taking a pregnancy massage certification course later this year so when all you ladies get your BFPs I can help you out. Laughing (Although I promise I won't advertise on here because that's annoying/against the rules.)

High five!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats on the new job WPP! I hope you celebrate this weekend!

Funny, I was just looking up fertility massage today...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, WPP!  That's SO EXCITING!!  I swear, "it feels like yesterday," that you said you were dropping out of TTC to start school.  And, now, look you - you ROCK! 

(And, fwiw, I think because you have been a regular contributing member of the community for years you can tell us how to book you if you wanted.  No one would report you, that's for sure, but you might want to consider keeping your anonymity here, anyway.  It's technically against the rules, BUT, that rule is meant to keep spammers from coming in and clogging the boards with ads, not to keep you from saying where you work.  But, again, I'd warn against giving your anonymity away.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

I had my ultrasound today. It was pretty quick and painless. The ultrasound tech showed me where my ovaries are, and said that there are lots of little cysts on them. I'm seeing my doctor next week to see what she has to say about my ultrasound and the results of my bloodwork. I'm assuming she'll diagnose me with PCOS or, like Chiclet, PCO. I'm looking forward to getting some answers.

Have a good weekend, all!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congrats WPP!  I'm so happy for you!  I'd be terribly tempted to sign myself up for a massage if I knew where to find you. ;)

AFM, turns out it was an ectopic pregnancy.  So now I'm on methotrexate.  Seems weird to be taking a chemotherapy agent to end a pregnancy, even though I know it's a lower dose than a cancer-fighting regime.  Hopefully the drug will work though so I don't need surgery. This was obviously not the outcome I was hoping for, since it comes with significant health risks for me. But I'm being carefully monitored, so I'm sure it will be okay.  

I think I'll take a break from this board too, since we probably can't TTC until I have been off the methotrexate for a few months.  (Although the research on this isn't great, there is reason to suspect that it may increase the risk of neural tube defects, since methotrexate is a folic acid antagonist, i.e. it prevents my body from processing folic acid normally.  Recommendations vary, but my doctor takes a conservative tack on this, and I'm inclined to listen to her.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So sorry, siena - what an ordeal.  Fwiw, I'd wait for sure even some doctors are more liberal interpretters of the weak evidence of a link between that drug and things like Spina Bifida.  But, whatever you decide, best wishes and speedy recovery to you.  Hope to see you back in TTC with renewed hope and a refreshed spirit as soon as you're ready.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Siena, I'm sorry you're going through this. I am glad that they found it in time. If there has to be a silver lining in all of this, at least there's that. I hope that you don't need surgery and that you fully recover quickly.

Hope to see you back on here soon! :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Ugh, Siena, I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this. Good luck with the medication and I hope we see you back here soon. :)

jleigh, glad to hear the ultrasound wasn't that bad. I have a ton of little cysts too. Apparently they're pretty common. My doctor said sometimes they cause infertility and sometimes they don't. Undecided

Thanks, everyone, and Kar, I know what you mean; I do like the anonymity of the boards. I will say that massage can be really beneficial for TTC, pregnancy, or just general life. It stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, or the "rest and digest" mode (compared to the sympathetic "fight or flight" mode). It decreases cortisol and other stress hormones to help the body's systems function normally and in that way is a type of preventive medicine. The effects of chronic stress can be really damaging on the body because the hormones produced inhibit normal body processes and, in the long term, can make you sick. 

Anyway, that's my plug. I try to get people to see massage as health maintenance instead of a once-in-awhile luxury because it's so beneficial to overall health. So even if you don't come to me, I hope you go somewhere and be well! (Oh, google my school--Cortiva--and you can get an hour long massage in the student clinic for $35.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Siena, I sorry for your loss.  Thinking of you and DH.  I did not know about methotrxate and thank you for that information.  You will just have to listen to what your body tells you.  I hope it goes smoothly and your body heals fast.

jleighla and chiclet, Good luck navigating through for diagnosis.  Hopefully you get you BFP soon.

WPP, congrats on your new job!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, I usually see massage as a luxury, but when you put it that way...hm, maybe I'll book an appointment to reduce my stress hormones.  :)