May 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

May 2012 TTC

Welcome May and GL to all!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Re: May 2012 TTC

Let's hope, since looks like April was not my month.  AF showed last night. 

Feeling worse than ever about this one since a good friend who started ttc at the same time just confided she's 3 months along already.  I'm so happy for her, and of course am not upset she's living the dream.  It just makes me feel more than ever there's something wrong with us, and am at the stage now where I can't wait to get to an RE for testing to figure it out.  Have a few more months of just waiting and BDing as much as possible before that though.  Hopefully we'll get lucky in May though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

AF showed for me yesterday too. With a vengence...

SS - Did you end up getting that book you talked about? I'm sorry your feeling so disappointed. It's so easy to get caught up when things are going so much easier for other people. We have friends that just announced that they're pregnant with Baby #4. 4! We're struggling for 1! It's okay to feel happy for your friend and sorry for yourself at the same time. Deep breaths!

JLeigh - I hope your doctor changes your Clomid prescription up for next month. I started out on 100mg. Where you started at 50mg, I feel like the next logical step is to double your dose. (In my amatuer medical opinion at least...)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Sorry to hear about AF ladies. It's hard hearing about everyone else's PGs when you are trying so hard for your own. It will hopefully make it all the more special when it happens.

So question- anyone know anything about a diagnosis of high pH? (DH's SA results)  Supposedly everything else "looks ok".  We got the SA done through this PCP thinking we were saving ourselves a trip to the Urologist. However, they don't have much to add as far as interpretation of this.  There is not much on the internet either.

Just curious if anyone has had experience with this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A test result of a higher than normal pH means something is more alkaline than it should be.  If you search on "alkaline seminal fluid" you'll probably find more things like this from this random "seman analysis" site:

Normal semen pH is 7.2-8.0. Prostatic secretion is acidic while seminal vesicle fluid is alkaline (seminal fructose is derived from seminal vesicles). Acidic ejaculate (pH<7.2) may be associated with blockage of seminal vesicles. Infection is usually associated with alkaline ejaculate (pH >8.0_ Azoospermia with low ejaculate volume, fructose negative and acidic may imply obstruction of the ejaculatory ducts. pH over 8.0 may indicate infection.   

However, since I've never heard of seman pH I can't say if this is correct or if it's the whole story.  Just giving you different search words for your own google searching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thanks Kar. That is pretty much all I have been able to find as well.  Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Miss Wolf, I haven't but I did end up getting that book Chiclet asked about and read it (thanks for remembering chic!) and it mentioned that a lot of infertility issues for both men and women are related to infections with no symptoms other than infertility.  Most infections can be cleared up with a round of antibotics and then people go on to get pregnant right away.  It sounds like this may be the case for your DH.

The book was good and I feel like I learned a lot of general information, but have been hesitant to apply the recommendations for my "type" (the book diagnosed me as "tired" which I believe) since alternative medicine and chinese herbs honestly scare me a bit.  Anyone tried things like chasteberry tea and had it make a difference?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Oh, for those who don't remember the old post, I should add the book I was talking about is "Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program for Maximum Fertility"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thanks SS. That is something we will have to look into. I wasn't aware that you could have an infection w/o some sort of symptoms, but I suppose anything is plausible!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Ss - just wanted to chime in that hearing about OPPs (other people's pregnancies) is the WORST when you are TTC.  I hated it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

SS - That's interesting. I've read that chasteberry tea interacts with Clomid, so I haven't tried it. But if the Clomid doesn't work for me, it's tops on my list of things I'm going to try next. I actually found Vitex pills at Whole Foods for $8, so I will go that route before I try the tea, but it's essentially the same thing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Sorry about AF, Chiclet and SS.

This morning, my temp spiked! (CD 22), and I had what I think is watery CF. However, my doctor called today and said that my CD21 blood test shows I didn't ovulate. I told her my temp spiked this morning, but she wasn't too interested, lol. So of course I am hoping that I ovulated yesterday and the blood test didn't pick it up, but I don't know if that is even medically possible.

Anyway, she upped my dosage to 100 mg of Clomid for the next cycle (so Chiclet, your amateur medical opinion was correct!). My husband has his SA on Friday. I'm kind of glad he is finally having to do some kind of medical test since I have been to the doctor more times over the past few months than ever before in my life.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jl, do you know what they measure in the blood test that is supposed to confirm ovulation occurred?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JLeigh, I wouldn't hold out too much hope into this cycle, unfortunately. Even if it was possible that you ovulated after your blood test, a late ovulation increases your chances for a miscarriage. (I think someone brought this up last month too.) I guess anything is possible though. Good luck to your DH on Friday. I didn't find the SA to be particularly fair. Here I am getting blood draws and internal ultrasounds (and don't even get me started on the HSG) and all he has to do is flip through a Playboy. Girls definitely get the short straw on this whole thing!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Kar - I'm pretty sure its progesterone that they test in your blood, which your body starts producing more of as soon as your ovulate (in order to sustain a pregnancy if it needs to).  It will be low if you never O'd.

Also, how did your FSH test go?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, thanks; interesting.  Thanks for asking about the FSH, but I forgot and peed as soon as I got up so bye-bye FMU, again.  I tested, anyway, thinking that it might be super dark even without FMU and that would be that, but it was quite light so it was totally inconclusive.  What a waste!  Next month maybe I'll remember.  Thanks, again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: May 2012 TTC:
    [QUOTE]SS - That's interesting. I've read that chasteberry tea interacts with Clomid, so I haven't tried it. But if the Clomid doesn't work for me, it's tops on my list of things I'm going to try next. I actually found Vitex pills at Whole Foods for $8, so I will go that route before I try the tea, but it's essentially the same thing.
    Posted by Chiclet831[/QUOTE]

I have a full unopened container of Vitex that I would be more than happy to mail to someone (or meet up and hand them over if you work in downtown Boston). I bought two bottles on Amazon and gave up halfway through the first one because they made me feel bloated and fat. I don't know if that is a typical reaction.

When I was trying to regulate my cycle, I read that another alternative way was to try progesterone cream after CD 14 or so for about two weeks, to mimic regular cycles and get your body to start doing it naturally. I never got around to trying it but thought I'd mention it to anyone wanting to try something different or without fertility insurance. I think you need to be careful about which cream you use though, nothing synthetic, only all-natural plant based types. I think maybe it comes from sweet potatoes?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Kar - I believe the test measures progesterone levels (as IPW said).

Chiclet - I read online about late ovulation & miscarriages, which has scared me into hoping I didn't ovulate (though my temp is still high today). Hopefully the next cycle of Clomid will work for the both of us!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

cici, Vitex is a type of cream that somehow regulates your cycles? Where do you apply it? Could you explain that more? Sounds intriguing. I'm at the point where I'm willing to try almost anything to regulate my cycle!

Kar, that's so annoying that after waiting for so long you got inconclusive results.

jleigh, I hope you get your Clomid regulated so it's more effective!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

WPP - Vitex is a pill I think made of chasteberry that is supposed to help regulate your cycle. http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Vitex-400-caps/dp/B00024D2JU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336134472&sr=8-1
    The cream is vegetable based progesterone. I believe it is progesterone that is released into your system after you ovulate so by applying the cream, it is sort of tricking your body into thinking it ovulated. When you stop using it you should get your period.  When used on regular menstrual cycle your body should regulate. That is the theory at least, but you need to be careful with it be cause there are a lot synthetic types on the market that are not good for you. It definitely doesn't hurt to check with your doctor. I'm certainly no expert and never got a chance to try it out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, WPP, but I knew it would be inconclusive if it wasn't dark.  Oh, well. There'll be a Day 3 next time.  

That cream works for the same reason I suggested taking Plan B.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Now that I think about it, WPP, I don't know why we didn't think about Progesterone cream earlier for you. I imagine it will work the same as Provera would. I was able to find Emerita Pro-Gest cream at Whole Foods and I think GNC sells it as well. I bought some with the intention to use it during my luteal phase. The RE told me that my progesterone is deficient and that he would prescribe me progesterone suppositories with the FSH injections. I figured that using the progesterone cream with the clomid wouldn't hurt, where I already know my progesterone is probably too low to support a pregnancy. But I don't see why it wouldn't work for you to regulate your cycle now. I don't see how it could hurt you at least!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

So I looked up more on the Vitex and it's contraindicated for people with a history of anxiety and depression so I should probably avoid it. Thanks for the info, though, cici. I'm a little nervous about creams and the Plan B just because I think of them being stocked with weird chemicals, but that also shows my ignorance of what's involved with those things. I'll look up the progesterone cream. I keep putting off Plan B, Kar, like you suggested....I'm freaked out about possible side effects, but maybe that's unnecessary. I went to acupuncture today and he suggested that I research the glycemic index and start eating as if I were diabetic. Insulin resistance is behind PCOS, although it's unclear whether I have that or not. I'm also not sure if I should just wait until seeing my new PCP in a week and a half. Chiclet, did you end up using the suppositories from your RE instead of the cream?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not meaning to hound you about Plan B, WPP, just saying, since we were talking about progesterone cream, that it's why I mentioned it to begin with.  It's a big dose of levonorgestrel which acts like progesterone (synthetically).  If you're worried about side effects, just don't take it.  I've taken it twice, and got crampy and such, like PMS since that's what it is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

My doctor didn't prescribe me the suppositories. If I was doing the FSH injection route, he would have I guess. Since no one expects the Clomid to work, I'm guessing he didn't bother with the progesterone thing. I'm kind of taking matters in my own hands adding the progesterone cream. I just figure that it does me no good to take the Clomid, ovulate, and then not be able to support a pregnancy.

Sections
Shortcuts