Metformin - how long?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Metformin - how long?

hi ladies...

if anyone has taken metformin, how long did it take for it to start working (i.e. for you to get your period)?  and... did it end up working for you (ultimately), and how long did you give it?  (and what was your next step?)

i'm on the beginning of my 4th week on it, but only on day 9 at full dosage (1500mg).  still no rise in my bbt (day 26 of cycle).

(i think i got my hopes up too high again!)  :(

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mary1800. Show Mary1800's posts

Re: Metformin - how long?

It took me about a month for AF to arrive on it's own after taking Metformin. I was shocked when it did. That was probably only a week and a half after I finally got up to 1500mg. I hear most people get regulated by about 3 months. I have high hopes for it to work for you too, but it may require a little more patience:) How's your tummy doing? I've been taking it for 3 months and mine is still a mess. DH says it's like clockwork that I bolt to the bathroom in the morn.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

In Response to Metformin - how long?:
    [QUOTE]hi ladies... if anyone has taken metformin, how long did it take for it to start working (i.e. for you to get your period)?  and... did it end up working for you (ultimately), and how long did you give it?  (and what was your next step?) i'm on the beginning of my 4th week on it, but only on day 9 at full dosage (1500mg).  still no rise in my bbt (day 26 of cycle). (i think i got my hopes up too high again!)  :(
    Posted by stefani2[/QUOTE]

Hi Stefani,

For the first 4 or 5 months I was on it, I did not get my period.  After that, I did a round of provera and started clomid.

I REALLY hope it works for you!  I know how absolutely frustrating this whole process can be, and if I recall correctly, your DH isn't too keen on you using clomid/other interventions.  I would give it some more time, but once you hit the 3 month mark, you may want to have some further discussions with your endocrinologist and DH regarding the effectiveness of metformin at different time points (i.e. what percentage of women start ovulating by 3 months/6 months/1 year/5 years/never).  If the response isn't in your favor, you and DH will really need to re-assess the situation and what, if any, additional steps you're willing to take to get pregnant.

In the meantime...I know you're anxious and want to get things moving along, but TRY to relax and be patient.  Stress and anxiety will not help your situation at all and may delay the on-set of your period.  You may want to think about taking up yoga or tai chi or some other form of meditative exercise.  When I used to do yoga, I always felt very calm and grounded after the class--even though I did vinyasa yoga which is a more active, flowing, form of yoga than hatha yoga.  You may also want to pick up a book called "Wherever you're going, that's where you are" or something like that...it's about mindfulness in everyday life.  I THINK the author's last name is Zinn.  Basically, as hard as it is, just try to BE where you are in your life right now, and don't worry about what's going to happen or not going to happen or when or how.  Just take each hour and each day as it comes.  It is actually very empowering (in a weird way) to just let things happen as they happen. 

I wish you the best. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

mary and daisy - thank you so much for your responses.  i was hoping you'd weigh in because i remembered you had both taken met.  daisy, i hadn't realized you ended up needing to add additional measures on top of met to get PG.  (how are the twins?!  :) ) 

yes, i think my road to pregnancy will be a long one - i just have a feeling it's going to take more than just met - but, we'll see, time will tell and yes i need to just enjoy being where i am right now!  it's just hard with a daily reminder (pills) of where i'm trying to go.  but, cry me a river, i know - we all have to deal with this stuff!

thanks again so much for your responses.  i'll keep you posted and look forward to your (and eoe's) updates too!  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from single-mom1. Show single-mom1's posts

i startd metformin in march 2007 2000mg a dy and by june 12 2007 i found out i was 6weeks pregnant so it works just relax a little

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boogitas. Show boogitas's posts

i took metformin for 2 yrs.  i got pregnant with an IUD (well it fell out).  i have a beautiful 5 month old.