November 2011 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: November 2011 TTC

Yikes, Kar!  2 feet!!  Its good to have you back, and of course, thank you.  You've been a great support and voice of reason over the past year.  =)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Yikes, kar - 2 feet?! Is your power back on? Hope you've been managing to keep warm!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the well wishes and warm welcome back, ladies!  We were toasty warm the whole time because we heat the house with a wood stove, anyway.  Our main problem was the well pump; no electricity = no running water.  But, we have a drinkable spring nearby so at least we had as much water as we could cart home at once (about 25 gallons at a time) within driving distance.  Thanks, again, friends. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations November!!!  Wishing you a happy & healthy 9 months! 

Kar--sorry about the power outage.  That sounds so frustrating!  I can't believe you didn't have power for so long.

Luv & wolff: crossing fingers also.  :)

Everything has been getting under my skin this week.  Feeling pessimistic about ttc as well, but I think it's just my general stress permeating everything I think about. Doesn't help that I'm traveling for work a bunch, so not sure how effective ttc will be.  Turns out geographic proximity is sort of important to that endeavor. Hah.

off topic, but we bought a house in May, and I just learned this morning that we're not eligible for the residential exemption on our property taxes until the *second* year that we've lived in the property.  how does that make any sense?  we moved in literally 24 hours after we closed...  It's as if buying a house isn't expensive enough--thank you, city hall.

going on vacation soon, and I think I really need it.  But for now the process of getting organized for the trip is on my list of overwhelming things. and to boot: at the last minute, I had to add a trip for work, so I now have a total of 6 hours in Boston overnight between my work trip and my vacation.  So need to organize both trips today.  and prepare for my work trip. 

Sorry for the unrelated vent!  I've been listening to the John Prine song this morning: "that's the way the world goes round/you're up one day and the next you're down/it's half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown/ that's the way the world goes round".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm going to need more fingers!  Good luck IPW and pugs. 

Too bad you're feeling so stressed, Sienna.  Vacation will do you good! Enjoy it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I am also patiently waiting to see if I get my AF in the next couple of days.  I almost bought a test last night but when I asked DH he said to wait and see.  I do not feel any different although I have had a sinus infection for the past week.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck ladies in the 2ww.  Sending you all positive thoughts!

I totally understand not wanting to spend the money on tests but how about ordering some of the cheap dip strips?  I had some that came with my OPKs and I didn't feel guilty about using those I just considered them bonus tests because what  I was really after was the OPKs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Siena- I feel your pain about the Residential Exemption. We bought in May 2010 and can finally apply for the exemption for the 2011 fiscal year. Also, we just got hit with a 'low escrow' notice from our mortgage servicer. I think the city may have re-assessed the property when we purchased, so our taxes have increased. Yay!

Novem- Belated congrats...a good start to November!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I post this with a HUGE disclaimer that it may not be the best idea, but for those who are close and don't want to waste good poas tests, if you have OPKs lying around they can (but might not) give you an idea as well.  CLC had OPK+s before her BFP, and I admit I cheated once I suspected I was pg and got OPK+s for the three days before my BFP.

Again, this is probably not the best idea, and isn't the most accurate, but its worth a shot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

MissWolff--oh yes we were reassessed this summer too! I was expecting the reassessment though so I budgeted for it, but I didn't know about the delay on exemption elegibilty. Our escrow is way too low now, but our bank said they wouldn't adjust it until March. just means next year we'll have much higher escrow to make up for this year's underpayment and then to account for the tax increase for next year. All the things I've learned as a first time home owner! Sigh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Siena - your life sounds a lot like mine these days, minus the upcoming vacation.  Got a new boss recently who's completely increased my travel requirements from a trip or two a year, to travelling over 20% of the time, leading to a lot more stress (especially when I think about what that means for starting a family).

We also bought a house in May... but in the burbs so no residential exemption anyway.  But not allowing it until the 2nd year is ridiculous.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Yes good luck to everyone in the 2 ww.  Luv, I wish I could say I was not as crazy the second time in TTC but I was! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Kar - glad you are doing well and that you faired pretty well without electricity.

Good luck to everyone waiting!  Keeping my fingers crossed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: November 2011 TTC:
    [QUOTE]I post this with a HUGE disclaimer that it may not be the best idea, but for those who are close and don't want to waste good poas tests, if you have OPKs lying around they can (but might not) give you an idea as well.  CLC had OPK+s before her BFP, and I admit I cheated once I suspected I was pg and got OPK+s for the three days before my BFP. Again, this is probably not the best idea, and isn't the most accurate, but its worth a shot.
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to add that the time where I saw OPK+ three days in a row actually ended up being the exact time I was ovulating (dating ultrasound pretty much confirmed that right away).  So I was wrong in thinking that my OPK+ was a BFP, it would have been way too early for that unless it was positive because we conceived the day before, pretty unlikely.  However two weeks later I was getting errors on the OPK's (test line was DARK and control line was barely visible) in which case I POAS and got the BFP.  Just so we don't confuse anyone!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Good luck to those in the 2WW!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OPKs can read positive for pregnancy because the hormone they test for (LH) is very close, chemically speaking, to what pregnancy tests test for (hCG).  So, you can trick a test that is looking for LH with hCG sometimes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hi all,

I am new to the TTC board and the whole TTC thing. I have been a long time lerker, but am now officially on the baby making train!

DH and I had s*x (what is the code for that again?) about 9 times in the past 8 days, starting day 10 after the first day of period. I know I am not ready to test yet, I am expecting my period in about 10-12 days and refuse to do it until I just happen to be late.

This is totally thrilling for me, but scary at the same time. My best friend just annoucned that she was pregnant after literally trying for one month, and I can't help to feel jealous.

Couple of questions:

Is is normal to feel jealous of others around you having babies, getting pregnant, etc?

How long does it take to show a positive test result after having s*x?

Anyway, I am really looking forward to having people to talk to about this.

For everyone who is pregnant currently, congratulations! I wish you a healthy 9 months :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Oh, one other thing, do the ovulation kits work well? I looked at one and it looks so confusing to me....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, liz, long time no see!  Welcome to TTC.

You can say sex first of all. :)

Assuming a 28 day cycle, you'll ovlulate around the middle (although it varies woman to woman, sometimes month to month), say day 14 (day 1 is the first day of your period).  If you get pregnant that cycle, you won't get your period on day 1 (day 29) because pregnancy hormones will prevent it.  So, at that time, you can test for pregnancy.  Technically, home pregnancy tests say you can test up to 6 days before that, but don't waste your money - not everyone who is pregnant will test positive that early, and they are too expensive to waste.  Wait until you're at least a day late for your period to test to not pee money down the drain; that's when the hCG (the pregnancy hormone the home pg tests look for) is very likely to be high enough to be caught by the test if you are pregnant.

Many people have expressed jealousy and sadness here over the years at others' "happy news."  Crying in closets at baby showers is a common theme.  I don't know what you mean by "normal" - you feel how you feel.

Ovulation kits work to tell you when you'll ovulate in the month you use one.  The day you get a positive means you'll ovulate in the next 48 hours.  Since sperm live for up to 5 days and eggs live for 12 hours, you can do the math as to when to have sex.  If you can figure out what a positive looks like (takes a few months of practice) on the cheap "dip strips" from Amazon, you'll save a lot of money.  Some people give up on figuring out a positive ("equally dark lines" is more relative than absolute than you might think) and get the expensive kits which give you a smiley face when they are positive.   Before you know generally when in your cycle you ovulate (most people are in the middle, but some are often a week earlier or later than average), you need to start testing earlier in your cycle and test until you see the "equal" lines (mine were never 100% equal, but I figured out how dark it had to be to be postive by testing past that point and seeing the test lines getting lighter, again).

Temping, by the way, only tells you AFTER you've ovulated...too late to have sex to make a baby that month.  It's useful if you have very regular cycles and find by charting for 6 months that you ovulate every month on cycle day (CD) 13, for instance.

HTH.  Ask away.

GL!!

~kar

P.S.  We say "BD" for "baby dance" for sex, but it's always bugged me a little, lol.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Kar - HAHA  After years of TTC I thought "BD" meant "bedding down".  I have no idea why.  Probably because I would NEVER think of baby dance.  Too funny.

Liz - I was totally jealous of women who were pregnant.  I think that is a normal response when you are TTC . Good luck.

Good luck to everyone in 2 ww.  Lots going on!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, luck!!!  I only know because I joined the TTC board at a time where there was a lot of talk about what all the acronyms mean. :)

ETA:  I like "bedding down" better.  "baby dance" just sounds weird to me.  Does anyone else remember the dancing baby, one of the first computer generated "real" looking production?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hi Kar!

Thanks for all of the information. I shouldn't have said "normal" as how I am feeling. I am happy for all of my friends who are pregnant (3 now) and for all of those who have babies (2). But, it is hard to not feel what they are feeling when you really want something.

LIL, I am glad to know that you felt that way as well, not that I am glad that you felt that way, but that you had similar feelings!

Kar, thank you for clarifying the OPK strips. Right now, I don't know if we are ready to use them, we are still in the wait and see what happens mode, but I know that if something doesn't happen within a few months, I will definitley start using them.

I am glad to be back, and to finally join this community :)

ETA: I just noticed that Kar and mines avatar is very similar. Maybe
    I should change it! They are my centerpieces from my wedding what feels like so long ago!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Hey liz, welcome back! Long time no see! I was clueless about what actually went in to conceiving a baby before I came to these boards! I had spent so long trying not to get pg, that I never realized how many factors come into play. You're in the right mindset to just try for a while and get the opk test later. Good luck! 
     Also, I hate the term BD too, and thanks Kar now I can't get the dancing baby image out if my head!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There is a lot that goes into conceiving, for sure.  It helps first and foremost to totally understand the hormones and timing involved in your menstrual cycle beyond when you're expecting to start your period.  It's actually fairly complicated, but a solid understanding of the details will help with the TTC process.  The chart on this page that shows days 1 - 28 of an average cycle explains a lot in a concise way, showing a different ramification of each hormone on each horizontal line:

The "Luteal Phase" is what we commonly refer to as the "2ww" or "2 week wait," the time you have to wait after ovulation and sex before you can test for pregnancy (or get your period).

If I'm not the only one that finds "baby dance" disturbing, I'm going to just start saying sex.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Ally McBeal dancing baby- super creepy...not happy the image is in my head now...haha.

BD- I was ok with it as I thought it meant 'bed dance'...baby dance, yeah not a fan. I had assumed like Liz that BDC would not let you say the real word.