November 2011 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: November 2011 TTC

cici--It might depend on the senistivity of the various tests. Go to peeonastick.com, she lists the various tests and their sensitivities.

Hopefully there's nothing "wrong" with your cheapies!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cici, there are a couple of possible explanations.

Maybe the cheap test you took has a test strip with a groove that only appeared as a color change, and it was not positive.

Pregnancy tests, no matter how much they cost are designed around a very straightforward chemical test - a reagent is placed on them that reacts to hCG.  Tried and true.  However, they are not all the same with respect to how MUCH hCG it takes to cause a positive result.  So, the CVS POAS test, despite it's cost, might actually have been less sensitive than the cheap dip one.  This means that if you take another one today or tomorrow, it should be positive if, in fact, your cheap test was a real postive and not just a shadow in the groove where the reagent is.

Give it a couple of days and test again.  Cheap or expensive, it won't matter.  The line on the cheap one will be darker than it was if your hCG is building up.

ETA:  Good luck!  I hope it was a super sensitive test and was more than a shadow. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Sorry to hear about your loss, Nene.

I started taking Mucinex around day 8-9.  I just followed the directions on the bottle in regards to how much to take and how often.  I took it for two weeks considering I didn't know when I was ovulating.  Also, I didn't actually notice an increase in EWCM but I never was good at noticing the change in CM.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CM is a complete mystery to me, by the way - I tried tracking it and it was a total failure.  If I were to take Mucinex I'd have to assume it was doing its thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

nene- so sorry for your loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I also got pg the first month I was using Mucinex .. so maybe there really is something to it! :o)

I started day 8 and took it according to the directions on the bottle (one capsule 3x's day if I remember right) and continued for about 2 weeks to make SURE I had covered my ovulation time. 

Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Were you aware of any side effects while taking it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats Pugs on your BFP!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

BFP!!!

I am in shock, because we just started trying in October and I never expected it to happen so fast. But, nonetheless, two EPT digitals and two First Responses assure me that I am pregnant!

I just happen to have a physical on Tuesday, so that was good timing!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CONGRATS, liz!!!  Sticky thoughts coming your way. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thank you, Kar :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Congrats, liz!!! How exciting for it to happen so fast!
    Thanks for the info kar & kiwi. I had a frustrating weekend and think I need a support group for poas-aholics. On Friday, there were 3 very definite bfp's on my cheap strips but negative first response. Over the weekend I got more positives on the strips and on a cvs blue dye but still negative first response. The weird thing is that I always get negatives with FMU and then if I test after but before drinking anything, I get positives. It makes no sense to me. The only thing I can think of is that I take my vitamin right before bed so that might be throwing off my results with the FMU? I'm assuming this will turn out to be chemical pregnancy but it's really annoying that I still get some positives!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, what about taking an EPT digital. I had VERY faint lines in both First Response and some cheap CVS one, so I didn't believe it. After EPT I was sure. It is a simple Pregnant, Not Pregnant.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Liz!  Sending you sticky thoughts!!

Sorry you're in limbo, Cici.  I would have bought out the store in pg tests if that continued to happen to me.  Hopefully you'll know more in a day or so.  Sending you sticky thoughts as well!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Liz- Congrats!!!  That is great news!

Hey RI are you out there?  Hope you have some good news too :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Thanks for checking on me!  Still waiting to test, since AF is due this week.  I'm starting to think it's a no-go this month though...which is okay...chances of getting lucky this month were pretty slim! 

Congrats to Liz!  Sticky thoughts your way!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cici, for all the positive tests you've had, you're pregnant.  The ones that are negative are false negatives - FAR more common because of a difference in test sensitivity than false positives.  You are pregnant, but it is VERY early (probably before AF is due) - none of them would be positive if you weren't.

Vitamins do not affect pregnancy tests.

Do not assume a chemical pregnancy*; do assume a very early pregnancy that is being caught by some and not others.  Take another one in the morning - any brand at that point should be positive, although, I know of people who need to wait longer for every brand to show a positive, even a week after AF is actually due.

*Chemical pregnancies that have been lost are accompanied by what appears to be your period and quite a bit of cramping.  You have neither, I assume.  You cannot experience a m/c without expelling the fetus.  hCG is only secreted while the baby is attached to the uterine wall.  If it detaches and your hCG levels drop enough to be considered a chemical pregnancy, the detached fetus and lining of your uterus sloughs off because it is not longer needed.  Hence, it appears very much like your period.

Remember, chemical pregnancies are usually never caught at all because they appear JUST LIKE YOUR PERIOD.  If you haven't had what looks like that and you've had a number of positive tests you are pregnant.

Congrats!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Cici, I'm sorry you're stuck in POAS h%ll right now. I'm so hopeful that you've got a bfp on your hands! I did want to offer a word of caution, though (hate to sound like a debbie downer after kar's optimistic post) - a few times, I had some weird false positives with internet cheapies, with concurrent negatives on FRER. Those internet cheapies really messed with my mind - I'd see faint positives for a few days, and BFN on FRER, which to my mind is the golden standard. That said, since it sounds like you saw very positive bfps on your cheapies, there's a great chance that this is a real bfp! I wonder if your doctor would perform a blood test to set your mind at ease?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Cici, wait a few days or a week and test again.  If you are not pg, you will get AF w/in that time frame. From someone who has had a m/c, let me tell you, you will know if you have one.  There's no mistaking it. I would imagine for such an early mc, you would just get what appears to be a regular period.  If nothing happens w/in a week and you still get weird readings and no AF, make an appt w/ your doctor.   

This is why I absolutely refuse to test until I am a full week late.  It's a waste of money and a source of needless anxiety to test even a day before you expect AF. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, a chemical pregnancy IS a pregnancy that ends in very early m/c.  It is NOT simply a positive test one day and a negative test the next without any physical evidence of m/c.  Early m/c is UNMISTAKABLE.  You don't need a negative pregnancy test after a positive one to know it happened.  In fact, you might still get a positive after you have the m/c.  

It's a matter of hCG.  Here is the progression of pregnancy events WITHOUT an early m/c (or "Chemical Pregnancy"):

1.  sex at ovulation
    2.  fertilization
    3.  implantation up to 10 days later - this CAUSES the very first drops of hCG to be produced.
    4.  hCG keeps getting produced
    5.  Home pregnancy test advertising convinces you to test before AF is due in hopes that you'll have enough hCG produced by then to be caught by the test.  Some are sensitive enough to detect your pregnancy, some aren't.  
    6.  AF is due but doesn't come.  hCG still building
    7.  AF is a week late.  Enough hCG is in your system to be caught on all tests.

Here is the progression of a chemical pregnancy (very early m/c):

1.  sex at ovulation
    2.  fertilization
    3.  implantation up to 10 days later - this CAUSES the very first drops of hCG to be produced.
    4.  hCG keeps getting produced
    5.  Home pregnancy test advertising convinces you to test before AF is due in hopes that you'll have enough hCG produced by then to be caught by the test.  Some are sensitive enough to detect your pregnancy, some aren't. 
    6.  Due to catastrophic DNA problems, the fetus detaches from the uterus and hCG is no longer produced.  Cramps come on, and the fetus and uterine lining is expelled
    7.  Pregnancy tests might be positive for awhile after this until hCG levels fall below detectable levels (or, they might all be negative - depends on how high the hCG got before the m/c).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

cicirose - I'm sorry you are in limbo, but you might want to get your doctor to do a blood test - the blood test can detect the level of hCG, not just prescence/absence like the POAS test. Also, if you are having other reasons to be concerned (spotting, cramping, previous miscarriage, etc.) doing a blood test now and another in a few days can determine if the levels are rising. That is important because the absolute level can vary widely from woman to woman, but if the pregnancy is progressing, the numbers should continue to rise. 
     If you have had several positives, I would say you are probably pregnant, so congratulations! Sending you sticky thoughts.

And congratulations and sticky thoughts to everyone else so far this month!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thank you all for the encouragement and Kar for all that information! I figured since I had a positive and then a negative that it must be chemical. And like you, Tangerine, I was (am?) waiting for a bfp on a FRER to let it feel real. I guess wait and see is the only answer. Or if I could get through to my doctor without announcing to the whole office what is going on...stupid cubicles!
    I guess the biggest problem here is that I don't know exactly where I am with my cycle. I tested only because I knew that something weird was going on with my body. My cycles are irregular and recently really messed up because I'm going through a very stressful time (my dad is in the final stages of cancer). Honestly, I don't even remember what day my last AF started, except that it was sometime in the middle of October. Adding to that my cycles are never the same length and DH and I BD very inconsistently because I've been with my family recently. I never thought that with all these things it would just happen like this. I would like to be hopeful because this would be such a huge blessing for my family right now.
    Thanks again for all the support, everyone!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can get a blood test, but the POAS tests are telling you the story.  You have enough hCG in your urine to cause some tests to be positive and some to be negative.  In a few days, all will be positive unless you have bleeding between now and then.  I'd save myself a trip to the doctor, although, it's not a bad idea, per se, simply because it's a big pita to take time off of work, and there is absolutely no medical reason to find out this very second.  Yes, you'll have a comparison of hCG levels, but imo you don't need that enough to take time off of work, etc., to run immediately to the doctor.  Many docs don't even do a blood test to determine pregnancy; they use POAS tests and send you home and tell you to retest in a few days if it's negative (that's what my doctor's office does).

GL!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Congrats Liz and Cici - sending sticky thoughts to you both!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cici, any more test results?  I'm fully expecting BFPs all around any day now. :)

Nov, how are you feeling?  Liz?  Any symptoms?

Sections
Shortcuts