November 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Re: November 2012 TTC

WPP- I'm really sorry about work.  It's like adding insult to injury right now.  Is there some way to convey to them 'medical issues' so they back off a bit? Do you have HR that could help you if possible?

MissGirl- Welcome (and hello to another Miss!).  My suggestions regarding OPKs are:  first off, they are a secondary tool to confirm ovulation. The only way to confirm it is through temping and seeing a temp rise.  The OPKs detect a LH surge, but you can get the surge and not O.  Sorry, if you know this already, but I'm trying to be thorough.  Also, I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, or at least start with them and see where they get you. (Hopefully PG!)

The Clearblue's might be easier to read but they will be $$$ esp if you have a long cycle. If you are ok with that, go for it. You can order a bunch of cheapies on Amazon otherwise. They do take some getting used to and I don't find them to be 100% clear.  (Like is that line as dark or *really* darker than the control??) However, I temp so I find that the darkest test line does coincide with O even if it's not as dark or darker.

Hope that helps!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - Sorry to hear that this cycle isn't going well and that you're stuck missing work because of it. Can they up your Clomid dosage for the next round? I forget how much you're taking now, but I think they can go up to 150mg. I don't know if it would be better to tell your boss or to ask your doctor for a less invasive (for lack of a better word) cycle next month. Good luck! Maybe CD16 is your day anyway!

MissGirl - I used the smiley face OPK because I was never any good at interpreting the lines on the other kind. I ordered them from Amazon on "Subscribe & Save" and I found that a box would last me at least two months, sometimes 3. All of that said, my RE told me to give all my leftovers to someone I hate because they'll just drive you crazy. FWIW, I found temping to be more maddening than using the OPKs, but that's just me. I never caught a +OPK on the month I got pregnant. We were just doing the every other day thing until we got one and but it never came. So I guess I'm not sure how helpful the OPKs are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

WPP - I'm so sorry its not looking good but don't give up yet.  This ivf cycle I was SO frustrated that it seemed my follicles were just not growing at all then in the last 3 days of stimulation meds they exploded in growth.  So it may still happen.  Did they tell you what size your lead follicle was? 

MissGirl - Welcome!  Hope your ttc journey is short and sweet.  I used the clearblue the first 6 months and found the smiley face reliable and easy to read.  Then I switched to the wondfo ones from amazon that are not as clear cut but cheap and those worked fine as well.  You should have sex everyday to every other day around that time anyway so even if you get a reading on the cheap ones for a couple of days and its hard to tell THE day it should provide enough guidance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks, everyone. And welcome, MissGirl! If you haven't already, check out www.tcoyf.com and the book that goes with it, Taking Charge of Your Fertility. There's great info on how cycles work, how to chart and temp, etc. 

I'm a massage therapist and there's no HR or anything at work...it is a weird industry, much different than my former corporate life. This may be the push that I need to go out on my own, though. DH is software developer and is making me a web site. I'm going to start marketing and checking out if I can rent a room somewhere to start my own massage business...It's so scary, but I really need more autonomy over my scheduling, even if that means I'll be slow for awhile. 

I'm on 50mg of clomid now and hoping my doctor will go up to 100mg. JL, that's good to know about the late ovulation. I hope that's the case with me. And SS, they didn't tell me a size (there are so many questions I think of later after I'm laying there silently!) but I know they're under 10mm. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome mg, and best wishes.  I interpreted the ovulation strip lines with no problem.  I don't have a baby to show for it, but despite having extremely unpredictable cycle lengths I can predict with certainty when my period will come because it's exactly 15 days after I think I got a positive strip result every sinngle time.  It's far cheaper than the kits.  Get 100 of 'em on amazon for under what one test kit would cost.  It could be a long, expensive haul...not that I expect that, per se, but you never know, and to not even try the lines might be an expensive mistake.

welcome and good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Well, we've started the baby steps (I guess) on TTC. Because of a genetic disorder I have that I don't wish to pass on my my children, we're opting for IVF with PGD. Last year, I met with a bunch of neurologists who gave me their blessing that I probably can carry a child and some surgeons who will get involved (if need) be towards the end. This year I'm actually meeting with the doctors who will get me there. Thankfully my insurance will cover just about everything if I meet their criteria. After meeting with a high risk doctor (who thinks what I am doing makes sense), I got the go ahead to meet with an RE which I'm doing at the end of this month. I figure the big plunge is when everyone says "ok, let's start injections!" It's kind of a scary place to be-from just discussing with DH what we want to do to starting to make it happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hi Northern!! Welcome to the TTC bandwagon. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your DH. (We should grab our guys and get dinner soon, also. Sorry for being MIA for a long time...will explain more later.)

Also, what is PGD? And do you guys need to get any other work-ups before you can start the IVF proceedings?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Hi whirled. Miss you so we do need to get together soon. my DH actually mentioned contacting yours about going to a concert. As far as the PGD i don't know what it actually stands for but it genetic testing before they implant embreyos. So I need to me with a genetist who will identify the sequence that makes up my disorder so when they go to do the testing, they know what to avoid. As far as I know DH has no work up involved but I'll find out when I meet with the RE.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, northern - long time!  Best wishes. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Northern!  I was recently thinking about you and some of the other regulars from the wedding boards.  Best wishes w/TTC!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Welcome Northern!  I know the ivf process and even the lingo seem scary at first.  It was for me. I just wrapped up my second ivf cycle with icsi and looks like this one worked!  

I haven't done PGD but if you have any questions down the road on the meds, protocols (I've done long lupron and an antagonist cycle), what to expect at the retrieval, transfer, etc. feel free to message me.  

if you just take the process one step at a time it's completely manageable and not that bad when considering what the prize is at the end. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

SS, what does "IVF with ICSI" mean? I had thought those were two separate procedures? (But whatever it is, it works! :)

I had my last monitoring ultrasound of cycle today and the verdict is that I haven't had any follicle growth and am probably not responding to the 50 mg of clomid. My doctor wants me to come in Friday for blood work to check my progesterone levels, then probably start another clomid cycle (after provera to bring on a period) at 100 mg. 

I'm disappointed that this cycle was a wash, but at least they're quick to increase the dose. I need to take away the internet from DH, though. Maybe parental controls? He's finding these weird, rare, catastrophic medical anomolies and convincing himself that I have them. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - Sorry that this cycle was a no-go. I'm sure you don't have a rare disease. You just have a conservative doctor. I'm sure that the amount of women who don't respond to 50mg is pretty high. It would be great if you did, but don't let him worry to much that you didn't. I wouldn't have either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

WPP, ICSI stands for intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection. It's a supplement to IVF where they inject an individual sperm into the egg rather than just putting all the sperm and eggs into a petri dish together to find eachother. Its used in cases of low sperm count (which is one of our issues) but some clinics are now starting to use it in other cases too since they've found the fertilization rate is so much higher using this method.

That's great news that they are doubling your dose of clomid for the next cycle.  Same thing happened to me with my first cycle where they were too conservative with the meds.  You have a great chance of your body responding to the new dosage next cycle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Welcome Northern!

SS- Is your u/s tomm? Keep us posted!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks for thinking of me MissWolf.  My ultrasound was this morning and its TWINS!!!!  Both were measuring on track and heartbeats were 108 and 109.  We are so completely thrilled.  I can't believe it!

Going back in two weeks for 8 week ultrasound at the RE then hopefully get to graduate to the OB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Wow SS, that is wonderful! Congratulations!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Yay!!!!  So happy for you. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

ss - so glad another set of twins is (crossing fingers) on the way!  (mine were born in '10.)  congrats.  can't wait for more updates. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissGirl. Show MissGirl's posts

Congratulations SSBride!!!!

Thanks everyone for the info re OPKs, very helpful

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Yay SS... what wonderful news!!  Thank you for sharing!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Ahhh, SS! That's awesome!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

So, I haven't posted in a long time, DD keeps me busy!  She will be 17 months this week.  We have been TTC for #2 for 10 months now, no luck.  DD was conceived on our second round of Clomid/IUI.  I was hoping we wouldn't have to go that route this time, though it doesn't look like we are going to make it work on its own, doesn't help that we are 39.  I made an appointment to see the RE again, though can't get in until mid-December.  Last time I was able to make my appointments all before work so no one knew anything, not sure how we will make it work this time with DD and trying to fit it in with daycare drop off.  None of my friends or siblings have had any issues conceiving so it is hard not having anyone to talk to that can relate so I thought I would join in here again for some moral support!  We are in the 2ww now, who knows, maybe this will be our lucky month!

I haven't had time to catch up on everything, though good luck to everyone.  Congratulations to SSBride!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Welcome wedoct!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Wow, congrats SS!!! 

Sections
Shortcuts