October 2011 - TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Re: October 2011 - TTC

Thanks Everyone...
    Congrats CLC on the Heartbeat!  That is awesome.  It is so amazing to hear and see it!  I believe I am a week behind you on the due date.
    Also to Tom for the good news.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone.  So, we went for our initial consult yesterday.  It was sort of anitclimactic b/c I already learned everything she was talking about for you guys.  But at least we are underway.  They drew for the routine bloodwork yesterday, and I have the numbers to call when/if AF starts to schedule day 3 bloodwork and the HSG.

GL with IVF tomarra. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Hi Ladies,

I'm also a lurker here and I sometimes comment on random topics...not trying to TTC (yet) in fact we aren't even married yet - though we have been engaged for almost 2 years now - my choice.  I guess I lurk because I really love kids, and learning about parenting, but I'm still not sure that I'm ready to be one yet.  30 years, a house, 3 dogs, a zillion plants, and even a few parrots later and you would think I'd know by now...(all which happily survive btw) but I don't. 

I really love hearing about your success stories, I'm sad for you when things get iffy, and am always routing for you ladies.  I'm sure if and when I do decide TTC, I'll have so many questions.  However, I'm happy to know I can turn to you ladies with questions.  You are all really fantastic. 

So thank you and...GOOD LUCK! 

Oh and I have to add - go September (my bday month and 30th this year) which since you are all getting positives in October...must have also been a good luck month too!  I have to give it some good wishes, since I pretty much went into hiding for a bit because of the big 3-0.  Ugh.  But more importantly...congrats to all of you ladies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck with IVF, Tom.

Nov, glad to hear the first appointment went well.  Forgive me for not knowing but what's HSG?

Thanks for posting, bacon!  I use to lurk here during my wedding planning days as well.  Even though you're not TTC you can always hang around these boards.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I can't spell out the full name, clc, but HSG is when they inject dye in the uterus then watch it on Xray to see if it flows into the tubes, or if there are any blockages. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Hysterosalpingogram = HSG

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

November, so glad you took the first step!

FWIW, I got pregnant right after my HSG and I know there are others here who have had the same experience! Your chances of getting pregnant improve in the two months immediately preceeding your HSG test (provided their are no blockages found).

Clear your calendar! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, Nov.  I knew I have heard of other ladies on here having an HSG but couldn't place what it was. Good luck with that!  Hopefully you have the same outcome as ML.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thx ml and clc.   I remember people mentioning getting pg after the HSG "clears the way" but couldn't remember who it was. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Happy Monday ladies!  Got an OPK smiley face on Sunday which made my weekend.  Wasn't expecting it since it was only day 11. Now I guess its my first 2ww (which is nerve wrecking).  Fingers crossed.

So I have a halloween party to go to next Saturday which I think is going to be well before I can test.  Should I refrain from drinking just in case?  Or is it ok to have a few drinks (not go overboard obviously)?  I don't want to make people suspicious already.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I also got PG about 3-4 days after my HSG.  Mine hurt like heck... which the doctor thought meant I had a slight blockage and the dye pushed it clear.  It was about CD9... and 15 days later, I was PG!

SS... I'd have a drink or two max.  I love the saying "drink 'till its pink."  You won't do any harm this early.  Enjoy and good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If your ONLY reason to want to drink is so people won't be suspicious (not because you want to drink for your own enjoyment) there are ways to get around that.  Carry a 1/2 full wine glass with watery wine in it and sip unsuspiciously for the evening.  Don't call attention to it, and no one will notice or care.

However, a couple of drinks that early is generally assumed to be safe.  Extremely early m/c is almost always due to genetic disasters that cannot sustain life that have nothing to do with the mother's actions or inactions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Unless you routinely overdo it, no one is going to notice if you don't drink.  Whenever I'm hosting or at a party w/ friends, I do not pay any attention to what someone is drinking or not drinking.  You may be overthinking it.

Also, in the Stone Age, back before you could test as early as you can now, people had a few drinks in between ovulation and conception and the kids are none the worse for it.  Heck, many people are drunk or tipsy when they conceive and the kid is fine.  If you want to err on the side of caution and only have 1 drink or no drinks. that's fine, but you aren't going to be harming anything [unless your doctor has told you that you have some specific reason for avoiding alcohol] by having a glass of wine or other drink in moderation. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it's human nature to feel like everyone is paying close attention to our every move and word, but, thankfully, they're not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Good Morning,
    I just came across this thread and DH and I are TTC our first.  We are excited and this is the 2 months TTC.  I am curisous what the strips are?  I have been using ovulation charts that I have found online and an iphone app to make sure they are saying the same thng.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I guess I'm back here in TTC world.  More stressful than the first time around, but we'll see what happens.  Trying to let go of the fear and accept that the universe is random so I just have to wait and see what happens.

SSBride--my docs recommended "acting pregnant" during the 2ww, which I acknowledge can be extremely frustrating. And the rec may be from an excess of caution, but I would personally rather follow it than worry later.  This means that I don't drink, limit caffeine intake, and avoid NSAIDs (advil, aleve). 

I find the NSAID use the hardest of all bc PMS brings dehabilitating cramps for me, but I don't know that I'm not pregnant for certain until several hours to one day after the onset of that.  My PCP specifically told me that I cannot take anything except tylenol for that pain until I can confirm that it is AF (and she recommended I get a negative HPT on top of that to be extra certain it's not implantation bleeding).  This is beyond frustrating because that pain is so specific for me that I feel like I know I am not pg if I experience it, but I feel guilty not following the docs' recs.  

I will say though that even though most miscarriages are beyond the mother's control, knowing that certain behaviors can increase risk substantially (very excessive caffeine intake and normal doses NSAIDs can each double the risk), makes me very cautious.  Doubt and guilt are natural reactions to miscarriage and the last thing you want is to compound self-doubt with questions about whether your behavior contributed.  (I speak from experience.  I followed all the pg "rules" to a T, but I cannot completely extinguish the doubt.  Was it the fever I had two weeks ago? the exercise classes?) Docs will try to reassure that it was nothing that you did that "caused" it, but at the end of the day no one really knows.  So it helped me to at least know that I did the best I could given our current medical understanding of pregnancy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Hello - I am new here and DH and I are TTC our first.  I was lurking around these threads and noticed people talking about strips.  I am curious what the strip are?  Are they for finding out when ovulation occurs?
    Thanks!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Unless your doctor has recommended something for some reason specific to you [not just b/c they would prefer that anyone TTC remain as 'clean' as possible], acting like you are pg for the 2ww is not going to work in the long run. I had a MC a year and a half ago and we have been TTC for over 3 years - I think coming up on 4 years; I've lost count. I would essentially have put my enjoyment of life on hold had I followed the advice of not taking NSAIDs, limiting caffeine intake and limiting alcohol intake. I don't use NSAIDs for PMS but I do have some somewhat chronic pain that benefits from NSAIDs when it gets bad.  I also cannot function w/o my morning cup of coffee and I do enjoy a glass of wine a few times per week.  I also enjoy vigorous exercise [hence my need for NSAIDs lol].  You can not and should not put your life on hold during the TTC process.  Hopefully, your process will not be long and 'depriving yourself'  of caffeine and alcohol and just putting up w/ pain rather htan taking NSAIDS will be wroth it for a few months. But once you get into the long haul w/ TTC you need to reassess. 

You should take care of yourself and follow your doctor's reasonable suggestions for maximizing conception during the TTC process, but do not put your life on hold.  TTC can become all consuming if you let it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

SS bride- I didn't drink those two weeks, but I would say that I run on the anxious side. I wasn't clear from your post if you wanted to or not?  Or what type of croud would be there. we were the last in our group to get pregnant- so people were watching. I carried around a lot of diet coke in tumblers at those types of events. and the other thing we did (which DH loved) was we both carried wine glasses and he would drink and we would switch them.  I had to drive home... but it worked well for a work party.

tara- welcome! there are sticks (they look just like pregnancy tests) that will give you a 24-48 hour notice before ovulation. they can be pricey (you need one a day) but some people, particularly with less regular cycles, find them to be helpful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Tara
    The strips are similar to pregnancy tests in that it measures your urine for hormones - but the ovulation ones measure to see if you are ovulating.  I never used them, just used the basal body temp and cervical mucus methods (the latter has been 100% for me).  But many of the ladies have successfully used them here on this board.
    Good luck. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

ALF--to clarify, I am under 30 and have no known fertility/pg risk factors.  This advice about NSAIDs was given to me after my miscarriage, but I was explicitly told the recommended management for my next pg was exactly the same as my for my first--i.e. no medical or behavioral changes of any sort.  So I don't think it was "specific to me" in that sense.

The docs said that one drink before you knew you were pregnant wouldn't make a difference.  Indeed, the latest research on alcohol shows no evidence of damage from occasional alcohol consumption during pregnancy:
    My OB still recommends no alcohol during pregnancy though, so I feel more comfortable avoiding it.

Similarly, one caffeinated drink per day is okay during pg, so it is also okay during the 2ww.  

ALF--I see your point, and don't presume to judge that what you are doing is not the right course of action for you.  Obviously what your doctors advise you is way more important than what some lady on the internet says. ;) But for most women, TTC doesn't take years, and I know from personal experience that some doctors will recommend changes during the 2ww, even for a healthy woman with no suspected issues with infertility or miscarraige.  The research on NSAIDs is very new--a big study came out this summer--but was so compelling that it has rapidly been integrated into the advice that I received from my OB and PCP at MGH.

SSBride--advice on these issues does vary, so your best course of action is to ask your doctor.  You can talk to your PCP about these things if you don't have an OB yet.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Tara, here is an example.  Good luck!

SSBride, Do what feels right for you.  I honestly think there is nothing wrong with having a drink or two in the 2ww.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My perspective on it changed the longer it was taking, too.  For the first 6 months I never touched a drop of anything in the 2wws that had any whiff of a possibility of a chance of causing m/c.  Then, the more I read about how genetics are the cause of almost all very early (2ww) miscarriages, I became much more lax about it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

SS - I also fall on the side of living my normal life through the 2ww, but my normal is very little alcohol anyways.  Its no big deal for my friends to see me downing just water at a party, nor are they shocked if I do have a drink.  If I were to have 4 or 5 - then they'd be talking! I have definitely drank in my 2ww though.  If you choose not to drink, and someone says something, you can always say you're on antibiotics and can't, or you are driving and don't want even 1.  People should respect those answers and not press you further. 

Siena - welcome back.

Tara - you can buy the strips cheap on Amazon.  Like 50 for $10.  I found them pretty user friendly and have gone through 3 cycles with my first order and still have some on hand.  Amazon also sells them in combos with pg tests.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks for all the perspectives ladies.  Siena, I actually didn’t even ask my doctor but when I told her I wanted to TTC in a few months she offered that other than folic acid daily there was no need to change anything until after a BFP.  She said the process can take a year or more for many and she finds that constantly limiting yourself drives many of her patients nuts unnecessarily.  I tend to be a worrier though and don’t want to take chances. I don’t really personally care to drink but don’t want to raise suspicions so early in our TTC process.  I agree that most people wouldn’t take much notice but this group is different…. I’m really close with 8 girls from college (one of which is hosting the Halloween party) and see them monthly (so I’ll have this problem again at our annual girls thanksgiving next month, and xmas after that).  We all got married within a few years of each other and the group is hyper aware of when others are showing signs of being pregnant and trying to guess before the 3 month mark.  I’ve been on the other side of that “did you notice so and so is not drinking tonight” conversation too many times to think no one would notice.  This tends to be a heavy drinking event too (I not normally a binge drinker but have to shamefully admit I took part in a game of flip cup at last year’s party). Some of the ideas about conspiring with DH and switching drinks, etc. are great.  I’ll have to plot out some tactics for the night with him.