October TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October TTC

I take Trader Joe's - they are pretty inexpensive, and I don't get sick to my stomach from them like I do from GNC multis. 

Thanks for the warm wishes, ladies!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I never read this thread, since I am way beyond this stage of my life. But somehow my computer just decided to get me here.
    I am so sorry for all of you, for what you are going through right now. Emotionally very painful.
    Kar and all you ladies, who are trying so desperately to become pregnant, I really feel for you and wish your wishes will come through.
    If you want to read the pg story of an old lady, please do so, if not - skip this post.

Five years of marriage, and two years of trying really hard to get pregnant. Going through all the test and treatments available at the time, calling DH home from work, calling him in from yard work etc. - you already know all the tricks, we felt exhausted and not having fun anymore - just being baby making machines.
    One night we sat down and had a heart to heart talk. Lots of crying on both sides. But we decided that being childless - even adopting, would not be the worst thing, that could happen to us. After all we had each other.
    So we decided to give it a rest and just enjoy ourselves. Threw out the sticks, put the thermometer away. Two months later I was pregnant. Much to a big surprise for both of us. A healthy pregnancy w/o any problems and a healthy baby.
    2 and 1/2 year years later we decided for the next one. This time just the natural way - if it happens fine, if not - we are happy that we have at least one healthy child. Three months later I had to visit my OB again.
    What I am trying to say, maybe we all are just trying too hard.
    They boys are now in their 30th, but I still remember those years, where getting my period was such an emotional downer.
    I am wishing you all the best and hoping and praying for you, you one day will be as happy as I was, when I heard the first cry.
    Bless you all. - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Thank you pingo this was so sweet of you...many blessings to you & your family.

I'm back from my HSG and I got an A+!  I'm in a bit of pain and I'm glad I took the rest of the day off.  I hope you ladies are all doing well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Pingo--I realize your post was well-intentioned, but many of the women on the TTC thread have legitimate medical issues for which just relaxing is not the solution.  Although it's wonderful that it worked for you, women with thyroid issues, PCOS, other hormonal issues, and/or blocked tubes (just to name a few) have medical conditions that make it unlikely that they'll get pregnant on their own if they "just relax."  For these women and their partners, it can come across as very condescending to hear that they are "trying too hard." 

My personal story is that I had always had irregular periods--often 2 - 3 months in between.  I got pregnant during a 40+ day cycle after coming off the pill and miscarried within days of getting a positive HPT.  After another 80+ days after the m/c (which occurred on my birthday), I got in to see a reproductive endocrinologist.  He asked a lot of questions and did some tests.  In the end, he determined that I had PCOS.  I started taking metformin to help regulate the hormone cascade that causes ovulation.  For the next 8 months, I did not have a single period that wasn't induced by Provera--and we only induced them for testing or surgery after it had been 45 or more days since the last time.  I had an HSG that showed that in addition to the PCOS, I had a blocked tube (which the HSG unblocked).  The HSG also showed that I had some polyps in my uterus which could inhibit implantation.  I had a surgery to remove the polyps.  Then I had to wait an additional 6 weeks before TTC again.  So--8 months after my miscarriage, we finally got the green light to start TTC.  I had to take Provera to induce a period, then started clomid.  I didn't get pregnant on my 1st or 2nd round.  On the 3rd round, I finally got pregnant.  This was nearly a year after my miscarriage.  I say all of this, because no amount of relaxing would have made me ovulate on a regular schedule.  Sure, I might have gotten pregnant (again) eventually, but the odds were significantly lower than if I had an ovulatory period every 28 days or so.

For many women, my story is just the beginning of what they had to go through--the initial evaluation, the HSG, clomid.  After that come more invasive procedures, painful hormone shots, issues with insurance about what is covered and what isn't, not to mention all of the painful emotions that come with not getting pregnant in spite of all of their efforts.  Many couples go through this many times and over the course of many years.  Some are lucky and get pregnant, some don't.  Telling these people to "just relax" is naive at best and horribly insensitive at worst.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Hi Pingo.  I do think you post was very well-meant but I agree with Daisy in that I am quite sure I could have been as relaxed as all heck and never would have gotten pregnant.  I do think that at some point one needs to be comfortable with the idea that they will not get pregnant or be biologic parents but that is a very different place for everyone.  We knew if I wanted to get pregnant after 2 1/2 years on high dose meds I was going to have to go about it by any means necessary and for me that meant actively pursuing donor eggs.  We were not ready to give up with the idea of me getting pregnant even though I think that adoption is a great route.

What I am trying to say is that a person and their partner definitely need to know where they are willing to go with the fertility treatments.  However, I think that no one is responsible for their infertility.  To say that relaxation is the way to go implies that these lovely ladies who are just trying to stack every card in their favor, are somehow jeopardizing their own fertility.  I don't believe that to be true.  Some are simply more lucky than others.   After all the inferility treatment and finally going through a donor and sitting here with my daughter I know I am one of the lucky ones even if it was far from easy .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

What a surprise, Daisy. I have to disagree. I don't think Pingo meant to be condescending, nor did I read it that way at all.  Of course, it makes sense to get medically evaluated to determine if there is any physical reason why you can't get pg and then determine whether and when to undergo the necessary treatment.  However, there does come a point when you have to sit down w/ your DH [as Pingo mentioned] and have the discussion about whether you want to continue trying all possible means to get pg or to just be happy w/ each other whether you have kids or not, or whether you want to continue trying every method to get pg that exists under the sun.  I believe one regular TTC'er recently decided that she couldn't go through w/ it any more and was looking into adoption.  I personally am ready to throw in the towel [actually, I pretty much have b/c I have given up charting or even figuring out when the fertile window is] b/c after almost 3 years of TTC I really can't deal w/ the monthly stress anymore.   I'm at the point Pingo mentioned: if it happens, great; if not, oh well - guess we'll do a lot of traveling and DH will have a really nice man cave.  I raised adoption and he doesn't want to pursue that avenue.  We just don't use BC and hope for the best.  Our sex life has dramatically improved.  Laughing

To read condescention, insensitivity or naivete in Pingo's post boggles my mind.  It was clearly a well intentioned post.  There is nothing in there about 'oh, dear dear, just have a sip of wine and throw caution to the wind and you'll  be pg in no time' that you seem to see in there. She mentioned that she tried all methods of getting pg that were in use back then [and temping was in use back then b/c my mom used it and I'm a ripe old 38].  Clearly, people should use whatever level of medical intervention that they are comfortable with, and if they have some treatable condition, to treat it and keep on trying. But Pingo is right - eventually you do need to have that discussion w/ DH about 'how much more of this can we take'.  Everyone will have a wonderful, full and meaningful life even if they never have kids. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

And as I very clearly said:  I understood her post was well-intentioned, but that some people may consider it condescending.  I didn't say that she was being condescending.

Of course every couple needs to do what's right for them, and I have no issues with what anyone else decides (why would I?).  If just relaxing was all it took for Pingo, I'm happy for her.  I'm sure many people, including myself, wish it were always that simple.  Unfortunately, it's not. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, thanks for your well wishes and story.  I didn't actually start with the strips, though - I started using them when it became clear that the "let's have as much fun as possible, relax, and we'll surely get pregnant" wasn't yielding a baby.

And, fwiw, I don't think sharing a personal, relatable story is condescending, nor is Pingo, and we go back about 5 years, now.  (I don't know who said what, I just skimmed and saw the word "condescending.")

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summagrl. Show summagrl's posts

Hi Everyone!
    Ok I have a random question, does anyone do the pillow "trick" after BMS or do you just not get up for a couple minutes after?
    Sorry if I am being to personal.

Hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful weather we are having Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There's a whole section on that question in last month's chat or another recent thread...maybe even earlier in this month's.  I don't mean to put you off, just saying there are many recent answers to that question if you want to do a little investigating.  It was within the last couple of weeks that it came up.

(Again) Personally, since I've never heard of the "get up right away" method of birth control, I don't worry about it too much.  But, remember, I've been TTC for 2 years with no luck so you might not want to go by me...although, we were pg once.  I have no idea if that was the one time I lingered in bed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Summa - Don't worry the question has been asked before!  (I think in this thread like Kar said and I also think I posed the same question back in May-ish.)  My answer is I stayed in bed for about 5 minutes afterward just in case.  No idea if it scientifically helped anything, but it didn't hurt to stay there for a few minutes so I figured it was worth a shot. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

It may sound kooky, but I was advised by a NP at my former GYN practice to stay in bed for 15 minutes with a pillow under me when TTCing the first time a few years back.  I don't know if there's any research or fact, but a medical professional did advise it.  I do have a tilted uterus, apparently, though... don't know if that influenced her advice??? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Summa...check out the 1st two pages of the October TTC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Summa - I did the legs in the air trick (mostly because we found it funny...) and I swear the stuff never came back out...  I don't know where it went!  Maybe that helped :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

Lil- I did the legs in the air trick too because I was laughing and joking around and 30 days later I found out I was pregnant. After two years of trying, a hand stand was all it took for us!

Good luck to everyone TTC!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Haven't been on here in awhile... wow, Luck, congrats on the birth of your daughter!!  That's great news.  My donor cycle is just starting but hopefully I'll eventually have the success you've had.

About Pingo's post, I found it kind of sweet. Granted, the "just relax" advice won't help those with medical issues (myself included) but I think it's great advice for the average woman who (on these boards anyway) seems to put pressure on herself from the very first month of even trying.  Plus, having a heart to heart with your spouse to make sure you're both on the same page with these huge life decisions is a good idea as well.  In terms of possibly being insensitive, I actually have more trouble with the posts from people venting because it's been a month or two and they aren't yet pg (sorry, just hard to sympathize with those at that stage).

Best of luck to everyone this month!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

TC...I wanted wanted to wish you the best of luck with the donor cycle...here's hoping it's successful!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you ladies for your kind posts. Of course I know, there are medical conditions keeping women from conceiving. But this was not at all, what my post was about. And I am glad most of you understood that.

As for the the poster insinuating my post could be condescending - I knew before I posted, it would happen. So, it didn't bother me the least, since this poster always try to twist my words. And I hope you all are aware, I never ever in my post said, "just relax". That was made up by someone else. The matter of the fact is, there are times when anxiety plays a big role in our lives. And especially, when hormones, body chemicals etc. are involved.

My niece had her first baby daughter without much of a problem. But it took her 8 years to conceive the next one. She consulted the most up and up fertility doctors and even went to Switzerland to consult someone famous there. And you know, what he told her? There is no reason whatsoever, you cannot have a baby  - medically or physically. You may  be trying too hard. Not what they wanted to hear, but after 4 years of trying everything, they finally gave it up. 2 years later she was pregnant with identical twins. A lovely surprise. So, never give up hope.

Again, I wish all you ladies the very best and hoping for good news in November - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Tc I am SOOOO excited for you.  Please keep us posted. :)

Congratulations Prill on your bfp!!

Sections
Shortcuts