OT - Suggestions for anniversary getaway?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

OT - Suggestions for anniversary getaway?

Hi all,

Our 3-year wedding anniversary is around the corner (i.e. in a week!), and I'd love to surprise DH with a weekend getaway. Could anyone suggest a spot (and ideally, a hotel) that's within about 4 hours driving distance in any direction (Maine, NH, VT, western MA, etc)? Since we always travel on a shoestring, a nicer hotel that's relaxing and close to a lake or ocean would be ideal. Any and all suggestions are most welcome - thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Re: OT - Suggestions for anniversary getaway?

Hi Tang!  I don't have the location and hotel information that you're looking for, but I have seen some fantastic deals on living social escapes and jetsetter.com.  Sometimes you can find the romance packages that include some spa treatment or something as well in the location.  I remember seeing one for a castle turned resort/hotel somewhere in NY I think.  It could be worth checking out!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi Tang
    DH and I are headed to Bar Barbor for a long weekend.  I know it's over your hour requirement, but I heard it's beautiful.  We also looked at Lake George and may try that another time.   Mystic Seeport, CT is supposed to be lovely as well.

We like the B&B route so we are staying here in Bar Harbor at the Thornbridge Inn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy Anniversary Tang!

One of my favorite romantic spots (its where DH proposed) that makes a good weekend is Mill Falls in Meredith, NH.  It is right on the lake, and the complex has plenty of restaurants and shops and there is a spa.  Its also in driving distance to some good hiking/biking spots.  Actually, I like almost anywhere on Lake Winnipesaukee, but I'm definitely biased.  Its about 1.5 - 3 hours from Boston depending on where you go.

Maine also has lots of nice spots - York, Kennebunk with easy ocean access and not too far of a ride. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

DH and I stayed at a B&B in Jackson NH a few winters back and loved it.

Carter Notch Inn http://www.carternotchinn.com/

It is close to North Conway as well as hiking, etc.  We were there just after Christmas and did some snowshoeing and skiing... but there are tons of summer activities in that area as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy anniversary, Tang!  

I agree with Nov's southern Maine suggestion.  I'm baised toward the ocean, though, over lakes.  Ogunquit has a lovely oceanside walk called Marginal Way, lots of B&Bs, shops, etc.  Ocean temp there is around 65 degrees, I think.  Lakes, of course, are much warmer!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We got married in Old Saybrook CT in a really nice B&b - Deacon Timothy Pratt (we eloped). It is where the Connecticut river runs into the sound. We loved it even though it was during a cold snap in Jan a few years ago (and there was a fun state park close (Devil's Hopyard)). And the B&B was walking distance to the town center. I recall it was less than 3 hours from Boston (then again, I drive fast). 

In fact, I hope we will be able to go back there for an anniversary ourselves (when DS is older).  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thanks so much, everyone! This is really helpful. itsallnew, I signed up for jettsetter today, and it looks like they'll have some good deals over the next few days. Winter, I haven't been to Bar Harbor since I was a kid, and would love to take DH there...going to hunt for hotels. Nov, Mills Falls looks great - but unfortunately they're booked for the weekends I'm looking for (leave it to me to put it off 'til the 11th hour...). Maybe next year, though! I love Kennebunkport too, and have done a little searching there. Boston, I'm definitely going to look into Carter Notch - I love that part of New Hampshire. Kar, I'll look into Ogunquit, too...I don't think I've ever been there, but I've heard good things. And cwagner, I'm going to look into your B&B. These are such great suggestions...if you think of anything else, please keep 'em coming! Thanks! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

If you're interested in Bar Harbor, we stayed at this place for a few days over fourth of July weekend last summer and it was very nice!

Also, this place is only in Portsmouth, NH, so it's easy to get to.
    Haven't been there yet but have heard great things about it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Unless you want to go to the spa, there is really nothing to do at the Wentworth. You are going to have at least a 20 minute drive to anything. Their Sunday brunch, however, is phenomenol!  We lived in Kittery and would go over for their brunch a few times per year. You will roll out of there afterwards. Totally worth it and they have live music.  If you want to do Portsmouth, stay in the one of the downtown hotels.

We stayed at the Wonderview Inn in Bar Harbor several times.  It's not fancy and there are nicer places to stay, but you can usually get a good online deal. The summer shuttle bus will bring you right to downtown Bar Harbor. However, when we lived in Kittery, ME, it took us at least 4-5 hours to drive to Bar Harbor. I don't know how you could get there from Boston in your 4 hour preferred window unless you were a complete speed demon.  You are going to have more choices w/in your preferred drive time in Southern Maine if you decide to go the Maine route.  I would suggest the Lakes Region in central and southwestern Maine.  You basically drive to Portland and then head west on Rt 302. Tons of places to stay.  Have fun. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We stayed at the Wentworth by the Sea that Michelle mentioned for a mini-moon after our wedding.  It was great for feeling like you were far away and fancy, and they also have pools and golf.  The Newcastle Commons is a short drive for a little beach area.  It would be a good choice if you want to just hang out and not much else.

If you want to enjoy Portsmouth, I have also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, more economical but relatively new and right downtown.  That would be ideal for more of a dining-out-and-walking-around vacation.  I wouldn't choose downtown Portsmouth if you want to swim and beach.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Tang- just wondering if you saw the jetsetter e-mail for today featuring the place in NH??  It looks really nice!  I am not sure if it fits into your budget, but it seems very romantic :o)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Tan, I don't have anything to add but I wanted to wish you a Happy Anniversary!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Guess you won't be drinkin'!  ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thanks again, everybody! Lots of good ideas...itsallnew, after your suggestion to use jettsetter/groupon/etc, I've been scouring those sites. I did see yesterday's jetsetter email, but unfortunately that hotel turned out to be too pricey (we just bought a house, and now are hoping to welcome a little one next year, so the wallet's gotten a lot tighter!). But I just jumped on a groupon for the Newagen Seaside Inn, in Newagen, ME. It looks nice, is on the ocean and close to Boothbay Harbor, and the price was right! Has anyone been there?   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Tan, Check out Confidential Chat/General in July/August forum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Boothbay Harbor is a very typical coastal Maine area with everything you'd expect from such a place. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Tangerine - I just saw that on my Groupon Getaways email!  Looks beautiful, and is close to Popham Beach - my favorite beach in Maine.  It's a great deal - I hope it works out for you!

And congrats on your recent BFP!  :)