Ovulation - "order of operations"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Ovulation - "order of operations"

Hi ladies,

Since I'm still waiting for my first post-BCP visit from AF, I realize I'm jumping the gun a bit...but I'm trying to figure out the order in which you "should" notice the usual ovulation indicators. I've been temping and sort of monitoring CM. I know you're supposed to see a slight dip in temp, followed by a spike - the spike indicates that ovulation has already happened (right?). This morning I had a slight dip compared with the past few days, but nothing too notable as my temps haven't been super-consistent. Then I noticed what I *think* might be EWCM (sorry if TMI). So I used an OPK strip - negativo. Which makes me wonder - what order are these signs generally supposed to follow? Does a negative OPK strip trump the others (i.e. I'm SOL), or could it mean that ovulation is coming soon?

Thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Re: Ovulation - "order of operations"

Hi Tangerine,
    My two cents, for what they're worth...  The only "method" I used was to casually look for the EWCM and took note of it.  I just had my first ultrasound today and counting back the days, I must have ovulated on the day that I last saw the EWCM.  (I had a hunch that that was the day, too.)  I saw it for 4 days mid-cycle and that last day ended up being the day. 

So that doesn't answer your exact question...  but I didn't see the EWCM again after that last [ovulation] day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The OPK strip will tell you when you had your LH surge which is 24 - 48 hours before you'll ovuluate.

Temping, on the other hand, is useful only in hindsight (you use the chart after you've been filling it out a few months to predict future ovulation times).  This is because the temp change occurs after ovulation.  So, at that time, of course, an LH strip will be negative (and would have been positive 48 hours before that).

P.S.  If your cycles are wildly irregular, temping will never prove useful.  You'll always know after the fact when you ovulated, and if the cycle day that happens is always changing, you won't be able to use the information in time to make a baby.  If this is the case, just use the OPK strips more of the month to catch your LH surge which will always occur in time to carpe diem...or 2. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

hmm, i was going to say that if your cycles are highly irregular, the OPKs won't be useful!!!  in my experience, i always ovulated as evidenced by the temp spike, and got AF exactly 14 days after.  the only variable for me was how many days before the big o - it ranged from 28 to 80!  i'm pretty sure i read that OPKs do not work with people who have irregular cycles, b/c often irregular cycles are caused by irregular hormone patterns.  one other thing to consider: OPKs didn't work for me the month i got PG with twins.  my personal opinion is that temping is the way to go - kar is right, temping doesn't tell you anything in time to act upon it, but if you can establish a pattern in your cycles that's a good thing.  :)  GL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

eta: temping and charting can also be useful if you do end up needing to see a RE.  hopefully you won't though!  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OPKs are useful with irregular cycles IF you use more of them than average.  Start earlier in your cycle to catch the LH surge.  An LH surge always preceeds ovulation because it causes it. 

If you temp and find that you ovulate every Day 12, you don't need the strips to show the LH surge always happens on Day 10, and you can just start BDing around Day 10.  However, if you temp and find that over the last 6 months you ovulated on Days 10, 15, 9, 12, 19, and 8, you're scr_wed unless switch to the strips and start using them every month on Day 8 until you catch the LH surge which could be a week and a half later.  So, you could use as many as 11 and as few as 2 OPK strips every month.

So, yes, irregular cycles are caused by irregular hormone patterns so if you use the OPK strips at the average time you can definitely miss your LH surge.   By widening the window, you solve that problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Tangerine - The month that I got my BFP, I think I noticed EWCM on Thursday(ish) and then again on Monday.  Tuesday ended up being the day of conception.  I remember it being similar the month before as well.  For me, the CM was an indicator that we may as well get busy even though the strips hadn't shown O yet, but it's not the most clear and reliable of indicators!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thanks, ladies! I guess the big lesson here is "everyone is different"! I'm trying to calm myself down and just wait (and wait) for AF, but it's so hard not to pay attention (i.e. obsess) over these signs, or lack thereof. No EWCM or temp spike this morning, and a negative OPK strip, so apparently my mind is playing tricks on me again. If only I could forget about all of this for a few months!