possibly TMI, but...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

possibly TMI, but...

This might seem like a very odd question, but I can't find an answer online - I've searched using many different wordings.  Here goes: during or after ovulation, is it possible that your body sheds either the egg or the follicle in such a way that you'd see it, you know... in the toilet? 

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to ovulate DURING your period?

I'm very confused by my body at the moment...

Thanks in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: possibly TMI, but...

It's not weird. I will notice a few days before AF arrives that I will get whitish/yellowish discharge. It's the unfertilized egg [go to corpus luteum in the glossary if you have TCOYF] egg leaving the body.  This happens regularly. It's totally normal.  :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi Alf - thanks for responding.  My confusion is that I just FINISHED AF, like 2 days ago.  could I already have an unfertalized egg leaving my body? :(  That's why I wondered if you can ovulate *during* AF...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hmm. Probably not.  I know sarabth who posts on here sometimes had twins and she said that she ovulated really early in her cycle.  It could just early O'ing.  One way to find out - ambush your DH when you get home then wait 2 weeks.  :-) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, it's possible you can ovulate during your period or any time during your cycle.  But, it's unlikely.  You can go to wikipedia to see a good graph of the hormonal action that dictates when you should ovulate in your cycle.  Look for menstrual cycle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Also, take care that it isn't an infection.  If what your seeing is yellow/green/grey and has a foul odor it could be an infection.  I've been reading a lot about discharge recently.  If it persists you might want to check with your doc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, girls.  Trouble - it's totally clear, so hopefully that means no infection.  I've just never seen evidence of ovulation quite like that... sort of a blob.  I feel like I should go retake the women's studies class that I took in college!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Only about 70% of babies are conceived during the most likely 2 weeks, mid cycle.

The other 2-2 1/2 weeks, including the menses, account for 30%.  This is why the method as birth control has a high failure rate.

This is also why people TTC  should not focus all of their energy on the "critical window" of 8-14 days.   They could be avoiding the only time they could possibly conceive according to her body's schedule.  Some people do that for years,  and an amazing thing happens- why doctor, as soon as we gave up on having a baby after 3 years and did it when we felt like it,  I got pregnant.

You can ovulate during your period.  Only 1-2 % of babies are conceived that way as far as research can tell - but with 4 million births a year in this country,  1.5 % of that is 60,000 babies, every year.   Suddenly 1.5% is not an "impossibly small number", as one of the popular "fertility window"  TTC books terms it.

Remember that sperm can swim up the Fallopian tubes - this is why you can have tubal pregnancies.

Eggs take usually 2, but really anywhere from 2-5 days to travel down the Fallopian tube.  And the fetus takes a little time to implant. 

So you can ovulate, and get pregnant, any time including during your period.

A nurse's perspective.  There are 2 sets of twins in this household, born to sisters, conceived then.

There is no such thing as learning TMI about your own body.  Phrasing it delicately is another story.
           Wag

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, Wag, that is great information!  I can't seem to get the ovulation predictor kits to work for me (I think I'd have to do one every day for 30 days, and that woudl be expensive!), and I haven't yet tried charting my temperature, but yesterday and a little today I've had very very light bleeding and a little twinge kind of like cramping on my right side, very slight.  So I *think* I may be ovulating, but it's sooner than I would have thought because I just finished my period about two and a half days ago.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Poppy--I feel like a broken record b/c I mention this anytime OPKs come up (sorry to those who have heard this several times already), but the month I got pregnant w/fraternal twins (i.e. ovulated TWICE), I used OPKs for much longer than the recommended window, and didn't get a remotely positive result that entire time.  OPKs are a nice reference point, but don't rely on them to dictate your babymaking activities!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Temperature gives you a better idea,  but many people even show more than one noticeable change a month - which can mean only one is actual ovulation.

Meanwhile-counting from the 1st day of menses, you are several days into your cycle and into a time when 1 in 10 women conceive (or more) - say, 400,000 American babies a year. Not unlikely at all.

The value to doing temps for a couple of months-  Viable sperm live at least 2 and often up to 5 days.  Your greatest chance for most women window starts up to 5 days before ovulation. 

Don't narrow your chances to the few days when a test says 50% of women are ovulating when this happens.  Sure it is a predictor of high probability.

But there are those other 2 million babies born in the US every year!   Conceived in all the less likely times.
        Giving yourself a chance to conceive (now is that polite?)  every 3-4 days all month, considering how long sperm live and eggs too -  can be successful, and for some is less stressful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

You most certainly can ovulate during your period. I know a woman with four kids because she ovulated twice a month and they were using the timing method for BC...it was after the 4th kid the doctor's mentioned to her she could be O'in during her AF.

I would chart for a few months to get an understanding of what your body is doing.

Best of luck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I wanted to sneak this into an ongoing thread, rather than beginning a new one.  I'll be short and sweet - does anyone have experience with yeast infections during pregnancy? 
    For reasons I won't go into, it's a big concern for me.  You can't take the handy little pills when you're pregnant.  I guess you can handle it the old fashioned way, but since we talk about TMI all the time, I figured I'd see if anyone has anything to share.  Thanks as always!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I do, Fram.  And I think I know where you're coming from.  The little pills were the only thing that worked for me prior to pregnancy when I was having severe and frequent yeast infections.  Somehow I did make it through pregnancy. I had a one diagnosed at my first prenatal and was given a topical prescription cream.  Early in pregnancy my doctor doesn't advise using inserts or anything "up there".  I never got another infection later in the preganancy so I don't know if you can use OTC treatments or not.

I happened to get gestational diabetes and so my diet was radically altered to limit a lot of carbs and sugars.  I swear this is what helped me. I was never a big believer in diet to help with yeast but now I wonder. I basically spent a miserable 2-3 weeks working through the infection, applying the ointment to help with itching and drinking a ton of water to help keep the area flushed clean as much as possible.  Other home remedies that helped: blowdrying the area after bathing, limit sugar and starch in your diet and eating yogurt.  I was downing activia and yogurt drinks like crazy.