Pre-TTC advice & questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Pre-TTC advice & questions

I can relate to that, WPP - DH thought that you could get up immediately and POAS to see if you were pregnant.  How many concepts would he have to not be aware of to think that?  I asked, "Haven't you ever seen a woman in a movie say, 'I'm late'?"  He had, of course, but never had a clue what she was talking about and could only infer from the context of the story that she meant she was pregnant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I agree with everyone else. I used temperature the first time, and charted for 3 months before trying- got pregnant the first month (e.g., not that this happens with everyone, but very accurate way of tracking ovulation). I didn't use OPKs until the second time around, because laying in bed taking your temp is kind of a luxury with a toddler.

but in addition to the rest of the good advice- don't mean to be a downer, but I just had a thought.  when you get closer to actually trying- see a geneticist IF you are going to. Sometimes they are recommended because of age, family history, etc. DH and I are both irish- which carries a risk of cystic firbosis.  We did it AFTER we were pregnant, and I have to say at that point, it causes a lot more stress. if you want to do that type of testing, and it may be recommended for you, it may actually be nice to do it before you get pregnant.... so you can make educated decisions about having children.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

The good thing about DH is that he's interested, to a certain point, in being educated about all of this. He's got an engineer's brain, so it's black and white for most things in his world, and I think some reading/discussion on the topic will be beneficial.

I've thought about the genetic testing. Without going into too much, I work at the *best* pediatric hospital downtown, and I see it all. Scares me to be honest, but I have to remember that it's a small percentage of the population. Unfortunately, my family medical history beyond my parents is non-existent, as they came over on the boat from Italy and over there everyone died of a "broken heart." Being in medicine I need a little more of an explanation than that, but I don't think I'll get it. We've talked about it, and I definitely think I'd want to know to beforehand. I assume insurance doesn't cover something like this?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

kinga--I believe that my insurance did cover genetic testing when i was pregnant.  (I called them and talked it over with them, and they basically said anything OB-related was covered, and they thought that would include the genetic screening that I was asking about.)  I don't know if they will cover pre-pregnancy genetic screening, but you can always call your insurer and ask!  You might also ask your PCP about it and see if you can get a referral.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, it might if you can prove that there's an "approved" medical reason to test.  Definitely can't hurt to call, like siena suggested.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

mine was covered- i just did the regular panel- but there are 2... and unknown family history may be enough of a justification for it. talk to your PCP- or gyn if you have one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I had genetic testing done before we were pregnant.   DH sister had trouble getting pregnant and during the process found out that she carrying the cystic fybrosis gene.   DH father is a foster child so we only could assume it came from his side of the family that we know nothing about.  In any event, I dont know if DH is a carrier but I got tested and did not carry the gene so I knew we were all set.    More genetic testing was done during that time also and of course it was done while pregnant with both of my children.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

What do they test for when you do genetic testing? Are there certain people recommended to do it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

WPP - I'm not sure about all-out genetic testing, but they recommend  some tests to people with certain ethnic backgrounds.  For example, French Canadians and Jews are more likely to carry the Tay Sachs gene, so they ran a simple blood test to see if I was a carrier.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--I don't know the full battery of tests, because I haven't undergone the testing yet myself and because it varies from person-to-person. However, I did talk it over with a nurse at my OB practice while I was pg, since they routinely suggested genetic testing to all pregnant patients. (It wasn't explicitly encouraged, more just offered.)

She said that cystic fibrosis testing is recommended for all people of European descent (maybe Western European only?  not sure).  There is a panel of tests done for Ashkenazi Jews, the biggest item on it is Tay Sachs as Framerican said, but there are others.  I think sickle cell anemia may be suggested for African Americans...  

Basically the list of tests will be recommended on the basis of your and your partner's racial/ethnic heritage.  The recommendation I was given was to test first the mother for any diseases that might be at risk from EITHER the father's or mother's side (so if DH is Ashkenazi, you would get Jewish panel regardless of whether you are Jewish).  And if the mother comes up positive, then the father can be tested.  (Bc these are recessive traits, so no need to test the father otherwise.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Welcome kinga9,

The only advise I have with the ionizing radiation is to limit your exposure and double up on the lead.  With the reflux you still can use onmemprazole if you want until your pg.  It’s also safe (I believe) to use an over the counter acid reducer (75mg Ranitidine) while pg too.  I find that staying away to acidic food and drinks (like soda) helps.  Staying up right for 30 minutes after eating and before working out or laying down.  When I was first diagnosed with acid reflux I was told too avoid left overs.  It seems as food sit in the ridge they get more acidic with time.  

I highly recommend a cooking book called “The milk-free kitchen, living well without dairy products” by Beth Kidder.  It a basic cooking cook and she has great tips for living and cooking without dairy.  I wish, I knew about this book when I was first diagnosed with lactose intolerance.  I actually made the leek soup recipe form this book tonight and it was awesome.

I agree with others that genetic testing is usually done when the parents have a certain racial/ethnic heritage.  That being said DH and I are at a lower risk but I was tested by the RE before we started the clomid.  I tested negative for everything but if I had tested positive they would have tested DH as well.

Anyways, I hope you find some of this information useful and good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

The book sounds great, I'm ordering it from Amazon now. Thank you!