Prenatal Vitamins/One a Day - Women's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

Prenatal Vitamins/One a Day - Women's

I've read so many different things online about prenatal vitamins, folic acid, regular one a day vitamins and I'm confused. I'm still on the pill and wonder what I should be taking now - I currently, and have been for several years, take Women's One a Day (has 400 mcg of Folic Acid) and I wonder when I need to start taking prenatal vitamins and if I should continue taking my multi once I start prenatal vitamins?  Should any other vitamin be taken in the TTC months?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Prenatal Vitamins/One a Day - Women's

My doctor told me ANY mulitvitamin with 400 mcg of folic acid is perfect for a prenatal vitamin.  I happen to take Trader Joe's Women's Formula for the price.  She said you need the folic acid at least 1 month in advance of trying to get pg.

NO, do not take both.  Vitamins and minerals can be very dangerous to overload on.  Vitamin A, for instance, is toxic in high doses.  Just take your regular multi (according to my doctor).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

definitely don't take both, the prenatal vitamin replaces the regular multi.  My doctor also said a Women's Multivitamin with 400 units of folic acid was fine for TTC.  Even after getting pregnant, she said I could use up that jar then switch to a prenatal with 800 units of folic acid.  and once I hit 12 wks pregnant to add a DHA or fish oil supplement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks ladies!  I was wondering about this too.  My doctor suggested I start getting more folic acid and calcium before TTC (whenever that is).  I already take iron supplements.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I just buy the GNC prenatal vitamins with iron.  I take one in the morning and one at night.  I have no problem tolerating them.  Lesal I never heard about taking fish oil or dha after twelve weeks.  Now that I think of it my doctor originally prescribed me vitamins that was called Duet DHA I stopped taking them because they were really expensive even with insurance.  I will ask him when I graduate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I've been taking the CVS brand or RiteAid brand prenatal vitamins, they're both easy to swallow and don't give me any problems.

occ, my OB says to add the fish oil supplement by 12 wks, but that they are rather large pills so people don't like taking them - and that now there are these DHA supplements that we can take instead.  I just went to buy them last night actually, and yes they are expensive!  But I looked at the fish oil supplements and the pills looked huge, plus the bottle said to take it 3x daily.  so i decided to go with the DHA one for pregnant women, it's taken once a day.  The brand name my doctor mentioned is called Expecta, and I bought the CVS version of that.  I don't know if I'll keep buying those, I may just try the fish oil pills.  I'm going to check with my DR next time about what's the dosage, maybe it wouldn't be 3x a day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I've been taking fish oil pills for years.  They are big, but since they are gel caps, they are really easy to swallow. Hmm, I've never read the directions though, and only take 1 per day. They are great for your skin and also if you have dry eyes. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

My DH just bought a really big bottle of fish oil.  I will look at them tonight.  Alf from what he was saying you need to take them three times a day so I would double check.  Not to be gross but do you burp up any kind of taste from them?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

OCC, I tend to get the 'burpfree' ones.  DH claims when I get the ones that don't say 'burpless' that he can taste it. I never have though.

BTW, I'm hard to gross out.  lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

Thanks everyone! I think I might stop taking my multi and switch to prenatal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I didn't know about the burp factor!  guess I should start with a small bottle if I decide to take them and see how it goes, which is good information b/c I was eyeing them at Costco last time I was there :)  well I have a 30day supply of DHA's for now anyway.  I also saw something that I think was an omega-3 supplement in gummy candy form.  I wonder how those would taste, or if it's even an option for the pregnancy supplement.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm 34 weeks with twins and have been taking the One-a-day Women's all along.  I was told it was fine and there was no need for a special pre-natal vitamin.
    I do take the Expecta every day.  It's was recommended to me by the nutritionist at MGH.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

I'm not TTC, but was still curious what folks thought about supplements. To answer your question, lesal, I have no idea whether the gummy candy omega-3's are an option for pregnancy supplement, but they are darn tasty. I need a multi with no iron, so I decided to try the adults gummy multi from Target (it has 400 mcg folic acid, too, now that I look at it) and liked it so much that I decided to try the omega-3 one as well. Both taste just like any other gummy candy - and the multi is 15 cals/serving and the omega-3 is 20 cals.

Now that my supplements are also my mid-afternoon treat, I always remember to take them!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Please PLEASE talk to your doctor about whether you should be taking multis or prenatals (not both at once) or iron or fish oil or whatever. If you are preparing for TTC, it's worth just getting a check up with your regular doctor or GYN to make sure everything's okay and you can ask questions like this. What works for another woman may not be right for you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

In Response to Prenatal Vitamins/One a Day - Women's:
    [QUOTE]I've read so many different things online about prenatal vitamins , folic acid, regular one a day vitamins and I'm confused. I'm still on the pill and wonder what I should be taking now - I currently, and have been for several years, take Women's One a Day (has 400 mcg of Folic Acid) and I wonder when I need to start taking prenatal vitamins and if I should continue taking my multi once I start prenatal vitamins ?  Should any other vitamin be taken in the TTC months?
    Posted by 2007wedding[/QUOTE]

I took Flintstone's Complete prior to and through my recent pregnancy (and continue to take them now).  If you have problems with nausea with any of the regular "grown-up" vitamins--or even if you don't--the Flintstone's have a full adult dose of almost everything including 400 mcg of folic acid.  My PCP, RE and OB have all "approved" the Flintstones too.  In addition, I took/take an additional 400 mcg folic acid pill and 400 mg of the CVS brand Expecta DHA.  I am a vegetarian and consume no fish, so this is more than the 200 - 300 mg that is generally recommended since my diet is probably more deficient in DHA than non-vegetarians.

For those of you taking Fish Oil...double check that this is ok w/your OB or RE.  I may be wrong, but I think I had read somewhere a while back that you shouldn't take Fish Oil pills when pregnant b/c they use oil from fish that tend to have a very high mercury content.  I may have completely mis-read or mis-understood, and I have NO reference for this at all...just recommend that you check w/your doc.  The DHA in the Expecta pills comes from an algae source so it's ok.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007wedding. Show 2007wedding's posts

Does anyone recommend the book, What to Expect Before You're Expecting?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

In Response to Re: Prenatal Vitamins/One a Day - Women's:
    [QUOTE]Please PLEASE talk to your doctor about whether you should be taking multis or prenatals (not both at once) or iron or fish oil or whatever. If you are preparing for TTC, it's worth just getting a check up with your regular doctor or GYN to make sure everything's okay and you can ask questions like this. What works for another woman may not be right for you.
    Posted by hot-tomato[/QUOTE]

Ditto what hot-tomato said.  If you have ANY sort of risk factor, your doc may advise you to do things different form the norm.  For example, because of a family history of neural tube defects and the fact that I had gestational diabetes, I was advised to take an additional folic acid supplement.  I was taking a prescription pre-natal that had 800 mg (or is it mcg?) of folic acid and I was also prescribed an additional 400 mg per day over and above that after my first OB visit at 8 wks.

Also, depending on your health insurance, it may be cheaper for you to get a prescrption vs. OTC.  I think I only paid $10 for a 90 day supply.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

Just an update on the fish oil question - I asked my dr about it this morning, and she said taking fish oil and similar supplements is okay - BUT that you do need to look for a prenatal type with no mercury.  So I'll probably stick with the DHA supplement, at least I know it's safe and only have to take 1 a day. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

FYI Women's One A Day actually makes a pre-natal vitamin that also comes with a DHA supplement.  Target and Walmart had it.  I was very happy with it as my prenatal

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

For those looking for a prenatal that is gentle on the stomach - Trader Joes has one that is not too pricey and it has a gentle stomach blend into the vitamin.  I have had no problem when taking it with food. 
    All my docs have said that Prenatals are the way to go - that a regular multi is not quite enough but I think it is more preference rather than fact.  I do have to say my nails have been wonderful (I have bad nails that split easily) and I have not been sick since taking them...Loving it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnFox8011. Show AnnFox8011's posts

Hi there--You may want to ask your ob-gyn for a prescription for prenatal vitamins, instead of taking the over the counter one-a-day. Prescription prenatals have a higher dosage of folic acid, whereas the over-the-counters have just the minimum amount (400mg).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone recommend the book, What to Expect Before You're Expecting?
    I haven't read it yet but I have it. My sister (she now has three kids) gave it to me for "whenever we feel ready".  She also gave me the baby and toddler and maybe one other in that series as well, so she must recommend them or she wouldn't have given them to me. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

[QUOTE]Hi there--You may want to ask your ob-gyn for a prescription for prenatal vitamins, instead of taking the over the counter one-a-day. Prescription prenatals have a higher dosage of folic acid, whereas the over-the-counters have just the minimum amount (400mg).
    Posted by lauren1180[/QUOTE]

My prenatal - OTC Trader Joes carries 800 mg folic acid - one just has to be a savvy consumer and make sure they know what they are looking for.  And it is only $13 for 60 or 90 pills (I forget)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I took the duet prescription vitamins while pregnant, the omega-3 pill was tiny, and you only needed one a day. But I took flintstones chewables while TTC, and take them again now since DD was born. I started taking the Costco fish oil pills, since the omega-3s have other benefits (supposedly good for the heart and brain) as well. I hate swallowing pills, so I chew the fish oil gels. Its a little fishy, but not bad, and even with the coating being chewed up I don't get fishy burps, unless I eat something else that makes me really gassy (sorry if that's TMI) Check the labels for any vitamin, since different brands have different doses, and many fish oils are now mercury free, and will advertise that fact on the label. If you are vegetarian, look into flaxseed oil as well. It has similar omega-3s, but it comes from plants.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone recommend the book, What to Expect Before You're Expecting?

Read it with a grain of salt. The advice in the  book borders on neurotic sometimes but it can be useful to answer some questions about what's happening to your body while you are pg.