September 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Re: September 2011

In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE] and we "don't prevent" plenty so who knows what might happen. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous!  I have no desire, so... 

now I need to make phone calls to find a gynecologist so I can get my hormone levels tested to see if I could get a teensy weensy bit of desire back! 

so hard to 'do it' when you'd far rather just roll over and go to sleep! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: September 2011 : I'm jealous!  I have no desire, so...  now I need to make phone calls to find a gynecologist so I can get my hormone levels tested to see if I could get a teensy weensy bit of desire back!  so hard to 'do it' when you'd far rather just roll over and go to sleep! 
    Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE]

I hope your doc can do something for you.  Also, as you know, our emotional health impacts our desire, too, especially for women, and often in non-obvious ways.  Maybe along with an MD you might consider getting counseling.  Although, I know when I was on BC, ironically, I had much less desire - BC in and of itself, lol.  As soon as I came off that, wow, I was a new woman!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Finally... AF shows on Friday, CD46.  Thank goodness!  I hope that very long cycle was a one time thing.

CT - I totally hear you.  I was on BC from 18 to 34 and can't really recall a time that I was over ambitious in the bedroom.  And then I put so much pressure on TTC the first time that I'm not sure I was really psyched about it then either.  It really brings me and DH closer mentally (not just physically), and there are many times now that is the main reason for me... not necessarily because I have any interest.  Good luck with your doctor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The other thing about interest is, interestingly, the brain produces less "let's get it on" chemicals the less you do it.  And, conversely, it produces more the more you do.  Simply, the more you have sex the more you want to, and the less you have sex the less you want to.  

So, sometimes you have to just force it (Astroglide, anyone - awesome stuff) for awhile and see where your body takes you from there...next stop, Desireland, hopefully.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hope your doc can help CT.  Are you on any meds that might be affecting you?  I've never tried it, but have heard that accupuncture can help increase libido, too. 

IPW - hope it was a fluke.  GL this cycle!

LIL - how are you doing? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Lil - keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Glad AF showed IPW, now you can get on to the next cycle.

AFM, I've had a weird few days in TTC land.  CD 27 - 29 I saw positives on the OPK's.  Three days in a row!  How is that possible?  Each day I inspected it to make sure I was really seeing that it was darker than the control line and each day it was.  Also CD 29 I started with some spotting.  The spotting has slowly increased but not anything that I would consider to be normal for AF.  I called my GYN today and went in for a visit.  Basically they told me nothing but sent me for a blood test.  I get the results tomorrow and then if it's positive I'm back in Wednesday for another blood test to see if my number are rising.  I thought the 2ww was bad, this is going to feel like forever!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

CLC!  Sending tons of sticky thoughts your way.  Did you pee on a pg stick, or do you have to wait for the blood test?  What day did you O?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

clc, if I were you I'd make a bee line to the drug store for a test designed to detect hCG.  I learned here that OPK strips can kind of detect it because hCG is similar chemically to LH (the hormone OPKs are designed to detect), but really, home pg tests are the way to go.  You don't need to wait for the blood test that way to know for sure if you are pg.  If OPKs are picking up hCG in your urine, home pregnancy tests DEFINITELY will be positive right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Kar - I actually have one at home and I was thinking about using it but technically I'm not late.  I'm on CD 33 and my cycles are longer so CD 34 - 38 would be normal.  I'm wondering if POAS would even be worth it? 

Nov - well I thought I O'd CD 27 but if I'm pg then I would be wrong about that and the OPK positive on CD 27 would actually be a weird LH test HcG positive, which as we all learned last month is possible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

If there was ever a situation to go right home and test - I think this is it.  The OPKs are just a tool, and not always completely reliable.  There are plenty of ladies with babaies who never saw a poitive OPK the month they concieved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, Nov.  Sounds like a good enough reason to me!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OPKs test for LH.

PG tests test for hCG.

LH and hCG are very chemically similar.

So, if you get 3 positive OPKs 2 weeks after you may have ovulated (at CD 27 it sure is possible), chances are it's giving you a false LH (ovulation) positive because it's confusing the pregnancy hormone (hCG) for LH...which would indicate possible pregnancy.

If that is what is happening, you would obviously get a positive pregnancy test because that reagent is actually designed to pick up hCG (which your OPK was falsely reading as LH).

However, if you take the pregnancy test and it's negative it would confirm that an OPK strip is not a reliable pregnancy test.  It CAN work by accident, essentially, but it's not designed to determine pregnancy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The bottom line is that the OPK read something.  You can take a pg test right now, therefore, and it will determine for sure if that something is hGC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Hi everyone!  Thanks for the well wishes.  Let's just say it is a good thing I am emotionally stable to begin with.  So over the weekend after RE not happy but myself not too bummed about my numbers I started having some cramping and had some bleeding (dark brown).  I just about threw the towel in, told DH I must be miscarrying.  Well it improved during the day and today my hcg was 2098.  Which is a good number and clearly going up and doubling every 2.2 days.   So, u/s for me on Wednesday.  I am so hoping at least for a good sac and fetal pole.  Oh the saga continues...

CLC - hoping for BFP for you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lil, sounds very promising!  The numbers don't lie.  The bleeding is common, you know that, even in healthy early pregnancies.  Pulling for you to keep seeing that number go up, up, up and away into a healthy baby!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Okay, maybe I'm slow, but why would you take an OPK to determine whether you were pg?  Why wouldn't you use a POAS pg test?  I mean, that's what the doctor is going to give you when you go to the office to confirm the pg, so why not run down to Walgreens and buy one yourself rather than use something to detect ovulation?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

CLC - I really hope you used your PG test last night and have news for us this morning!!!

And LIL... so excited!! Kinda strange how you can get so excited for people you don't know, (even though I feel I know you!) but I am beyond excited!!  We had some not so great news in our family yesterday so your post this morning has really, really made my day :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Thank you so much IPW!  I am sorry to hear about your bad news. I feel the same way about knowing all of you.  So many times I think, Oh, I have to check on so and so and see how they are doing.  Nice to know we have a little community!

The ultrasound will tell all!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good news lil!  Fingers crossed the little bean continues to hold on and grow.

Sorry you had bad news IPW.

ETA:  I don't want to speak for clc, ALF, but I think she was still using OPKs b/c she has long cycles and was still trying to determine the surge, and probably ramp down.  Then, she got a positive three days in a row.  I don't think she was trying to confirm a pg.  (sorry if I spoke out of turn, clc).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Lil!  Good luck with the ultrasound tomorrow!

Nov, no worries about speaking out of turn.  And you're right, I have long cycles and hadn't yet seen a positive OPK so even though I was late in my cycle I was still using the OPK's in case I O'd even later than I thought.  Then I saw three positive OPK's in a row and started bleeding which got me worried that something was wrong.  Saw my GYN yesterday, had a blood sample taken for a pg test and am awaiting the results.

As for the POAS, I took a test last night and BFN.  I should be hearing from the GYN in the next few minutes and I guess I will know either way.  Part of me was relieve with the BFN because of the bleeding.  I would rather this be a weird AF for me than a miscarriage.  Although, deep down I still have hope so we'll see what happens.

ETA: Just heard from my doctor and the test was negative.  So apparently it's just a weird AF and I can move on to try again next month.  The good news is that DH and I are going away this weekend and now we can relax and enjoy ourselves rather than worry about a potential miscarriage.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

clc, sorry to hear about your BFN on a real pregnancy test.  

hCG might, indeed, resemble LH and could cause an OPK reagent line to react, but of all the things to get someone's hopes up, that would be at the very end of my list.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm so sorry, clc.  Guess I owe you a POAS test, huh?  Darn!
    Did the GYN say anything about why you'd get the positive OPK and AF at the same time?  Is it possible to O and start AF on the same day?
    I see a very large cocktail in your future this weekend.  [hugs]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks ladies for the support and good thoughts.  They are much appreciated!

Haha yes Nov, one POAS test please!  Actually the POAS BFN helped me calm down a little last night so I think it was a good idea no matter what. 

The GYN said to chalk this month up to being a weird AF for me and to start trying again next month.  So that's what we'll do.  And yes, a very large cocktail is in my future!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Bummer clc... I was awaiting your post!  But enjoy your weekend!  Hot apple cider - spiked of course!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

From peeonastick.com's article on using OPKs as pregancy tests.  It's very clear about how it works, a very good read.  It explains why the following statement is true among other interesting things.

"a pregnancy test will turn positive only in the presence of hCG, whereas an OPK will turn positive in the presence of hCG or LH. "

Sections
Shortcuts