September 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

September 2012 TTC

Hoping for a September filled with new and sticky BFPs!  How is everyone doing?  This board has been quiet during the long weekend.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Re: September 2012 TTC

Met with the RE yesterday, did some more testing, and got my new protocol for my next IVF/ICSI cycle:

9/3 Cycle start
    9/24 Start Climara (estrogen) patch (10 days after LH surge)
    9/25 Start Ganirelix injections for 3 days
    Call at next cycle start around 9/27
    Suppression check 9/28
    9/29 Start Follistim nightly
    9/30 Start Menopur in the mornings
    10/3 Start Ganirelix again in addition to the Menopur and Follistim
    10/9 Trigger
    10/12 Retrieval

I'm really worried I'm going to have to wait yet another month though since I confirmed with the nurse that my suppression check bw and ultrasound HAS to be done on day 2 of next cycle.  Unfortunately I also HAVE to go to San Diego on 9/26 to present at a conference.  DH was going to meet me out there and we were going to stay through 9/30 but if AF shows I may just have to try getting an emergency flight back to see if I can make it work.  Ugh... something to worry about all month!  All I can hope for is that my cycle is messed up from the last ivf and longer or shorter than normal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

SSBride--is there any way that you could get the bloodwork done in SD?  I know sometimes they don't like you to switch labs for certain things because their reference ranges may vary a little bit, but it seems worth at least asking about.  

Hope you are able to make both things work!  SD is a fun city--great place for a conference!  I've got one there myself later this year.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I hope everyone had a nice long weekend. It's my first day back from vacation. Ugh...

SS - That timing sounds awful! These things always seem to have a way of working out. Maybe you'll get lucky!

I had my ultrasound this morning. There's a perfect little baby in there! What a relief! We saw the heartbeat (122 bpm!) and it's measuring 6w4d, two days ahead of where we thought based on LMP. We have another ultrasound and appointment with the doctor on Monday and, if all goes well, I'll be discharged to an OB's care. We're not planning on telling our families until we speak with the doctor next week. I was so worried that there would be something wrong and I'm just so relieved to see that the baby is growing okay so far.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats on the great ultrasound Chiclet! I can imagine your relief.  Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Congrats chiclet!  That is amazing news!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Ugh can't edit posts with the new boards!  Anyway SS, I missed the part where you said you had to have an ultrasound too.  That would probably be harder to coordinate from afar....  I hope AF works around your travel dates!

I'm sort of nervous about travel dates myself now. There is possibility that our next three cycles are shot from the travel my DH and I have planned (each of us for work at different times/places).  It all depends on how things line up...  Not the same as scheduling an IVF cycle, I know, but it is still frustrating to feel like more time is being "wasted" in this process...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

SS I agree with Siena...you should see if they can do your lab work in San Diego.  Stressing about that is also not good for you, and I know if it were me I wouldn't be able to think of anything else.  And as she said, they may not be okay with it, but you'll never know unless you ask!  Good luck this month though...my fingers are crossed for you.

That's such great news Chiclet!!

Just wanted to thank you ladies on the AF cramp advice.  I'm going to try some of your recommendations next month (I'll be in Europe on a 15 day cycling trek when AF arrives next...so I'm just hoping that it will be a gentle one for me - though at least I have some backup methods to try now)!  This is "that" trip that I wanted to take before ttc...so I'm putting even more ducks in a row.  It seems that by the time I'm done my ducks just may circle the world (analysis paralysis)...but I think with all of the help and advice I got from you ladies..I'm just going to jump into my ttc journey once I return from my trip.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Chiclet -- Great news! You must be so relieved. Was your ultrasound vaginal?

SS -- Sorry about your timing issues. That has to be so stressful. Maybe it's worth asking your doctor if there is any way you could have the ultrasound and bloodwork done in SD?

Fakin -- Your trip sounds amazing! Here's hoping your cramps are on the mild side.

AFM, not much is going on; just obsessing about what we'll see at the ultrasound next week, if I make it that far. I've been having a bit of a tough time emotionally, worrying about having another m/c. I haven't had any cramping or bleeding yet (knock on wood), and I am feeling some pg symptoms (mostly tiredness), so I guess that's good. Just trying to take it day by day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks everyone! JL, it was vaginal.  I had to prep DH for "that wand goes where?" just so he wasn't surprised that it wasn't like you'd see in the movies. I'm sure you'll make it to next week! You've already come farther than you have before, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Chicklet... such great news!!  So happy for you.  Seeing a heartbeat is so much closer to being out of the woods.  Yahoo.  Too funny about the wand... my DH's eye jumped out of his head when we went to our 8 week ultrasound with DS.  "Where??  That whole thing???"  I think it made him feel a tad inadequate :-) LOL

JL - I agree with Chicklet... seems like you are already a bit further along.  My fingers are crossed for your appt next week.

SS - keep head held high that timing will work out!  You are a trooper for keeping track of all the dates and stuff you need to do.  As someone contemplating it, I am in awe of folks doing IVF and staying ahead of it all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Hi all- I have not been keeping up with posts since I was supposed to be taking August off...well...surprise, surprise BFP!  I am in shock really, since it took awhile the first time. I should be 5 weeks today.

Still very nervous after recent m/c but trying to stay positive. It is hard.  Hope everyone else is doing well and I will take the time to catch up this month!!  Congrats to the other BFPs. (I see jlei and Chiclet yay!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Welcome back and Congratulations MW!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Holy cow... we are on fire!!  We've got Chiclet, JL and SAW from last month, and now a huge congrats to you MissWolff!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sticky thoughts and prayers to all the bfp ladies!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats to all the recent announcers!!  I hope it rubs off on everyone.

(And I hope bdc actually let's me post this...)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Congrats, MW! Thinking sticky thoughts for you.

Chiclet and IPW, I am further along than ever before. I think I'm 6 weeks as of today. Thanks for your positive thoughts on my behalf!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

awesome news for everyone!  fingers crossed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

Glad to hear there are some promising BFPs and ultrasounds on here. Hopefully you ladies will be moving to the pregnancy boards soon!

As for me, we completed all our genetic counciling and testing. The good and bad news is that they didn't find anything. Good, because it means DH and I sill have a shot at a biological child. Bad because they cannot explain why we've had 3 mcs with genetic issues. Their best advice was to try again. That was a bit frustrating for me. We are not candidates for IVF, at least according to our insurance, because we can get pregnant naturally. The only reason for us to do it that way would be to have them do extra testing before implantation to make sure that everything is viable. Without help from insurance and with that extra testing, we'd be looking at between $17,000-$25,000 for IVF, which we don't have.

I'm taking a break as I feel emotionally and physically spent right now, even thought I'm all recovered and we could start trying again. I think I might start looking into support groups for this, because I'd love to hear if anyone has been in our shoes and then had a healthy pregnancy. Honestly, I'm not feeling that hopeful given our track record. I wish I did. But it's hard. I know just because it worked for someone else doesn't mean anything for us, but emotionally it would make me feel better just to hear it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hib, my friend with naturally conceived triplets, yes, I'm saying it because that's what it is, had two m/c's beforehand.  Almost all mc is due to genetic problems; a lot of complicated stuff has to happen for a sperm and egg to come together and make a viable baby so that means a lot can go wrong along the way, it's the nature of making a baby.  They suddenly went from one to four kids, but not without loss.  If there's nothing wrong, there's reason for hope.  Many, many, many MOTHERS have numerous very early miscarriages and aren't even aware of it; if they don't test before their period is due they get what they think is their period.  Then, they'll misreport that they got and stayed pregnant the first time they ever were pregnant.  I honestly don't think your situation is necessarily that different except that you know more which is where the saying about ignorance being bliss came from.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Hib - I'm sorry to hear that they don't have any answers for you. That's so frustrating! I hope that you find the support you need. I'm sure there are people just like you who have gone on to have healthy biological children. I know it's hard to hold out hope right now but I think you'll feel better if you talk it out with someone. Good luck!

AFM, I had another positive ultrasound and have officially graduated from the RE, so I guess it's time to jump to the pregnancy boards. Feels kinda weird. I'll keep checking in here though. You ladies have been so much help to me and I'm so grateful to all of you. I hope to see you all over there soon!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Hibernian--Sorry that you didn't get any answers from your testing.  I've been there too...  I was told that in about half of recurrent pregnancy loss cases there is no explanation that docs can find. And usually having no diagnosis means you have a better chance of future success than having a diagnosis, but it can be beyond frustrating to know that doctors have nothing to offer to "fix" it. If it reassures you at all, the data I've read suggests that without a diagnosed chromosomal abnormality in the parents, IVF with pre-implanation genetic screening doesn't statistically improve outcomes by much (if at all).  So financial issues aside, I'm not sure that would be the way to go.  

I do not have information about any local support groups, but my OB offered to refer me to social workers who work closely with the ob/gyn department and are very well versed in pregnancy loss concerns.  It might be a good idea to talk to your OB for a referral of that sort or a support group suggestion if you think it would be helpful.  I haven't tried it, so can't say personally whether it is helpful, but I know women who have found it very valuable.

Also, if you are looking for success stories, try lurking on the "Pregnant after a loss" or "Parenting after loss" forums on thebump.com.  You will find a ton of women posting about their pregnancies/babies, and many of them experienced recurrent losses.  The "trying to conceive after a loss" board is also sort of an online support group (but don't ask there about success stories, bc the women posting there are still TTC!).  The tone of those boards is very different than these; I sort of prefer it over here, but it can be helpful to read or interact with a larger community dealing with loss and recurrent loss.

Kar--I know early pregnancy loss can be undetectable without HCG testing, but it's not necessarily relevant for Hibernian--I don't know her precise history.  I will just say that even if I had failed to notice the lack of AF for 3 months, I definitely would never have confused my natural m/c with AF.  It was a way different experience--the most physically traumatic thing I've ever been through.

Chiclet--congrats on "graduating" to an OB!  FX for you and JL and SAW, and congrats to MissWolff!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Ugh Hib that sounds so frustrating. Seems like good news and bad news at the same time.

Not sure if you are looking for an in person or online support group but I would recommend joining www.tcoyf.com. It's an incredibly supportive and well informed community. There is an entire forum for Repeat Pregnancy Loss. There is a whole thread in there about conceiving after RPL. I actually just read through it the other night for some reason.

So just a thought...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Ugh Hib that sounds so frustrating. Seems like good news and bad news at the same time.

Not sure if you are looking for an in person or online support group but I would recommend joining www.tcoyf.com. It's an incredibly supportive and well informed community. There is an entire forum for Repeat Pregnancy Loss. There is a whole thread in there about conceiving after RPL. I actually just read through it the other night for some reason.

So just a thought...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

So just a thought...

Sections
Shortcuts