September 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Re: September 2012 TTC

Thanks IPW.  I guess I just have to trust that despite the odds the doctors will figure out how to work with what little we have.... and if not I'm not sure what our next step will be.  We decided we're going to try to stay positive and give this ivf thing a few more tries before giving up and moving onto some other way to be a parent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

SS, I'm so sorry about your test results. I hope your doctors can find a way to make things work for you. 

I'm really frustrated with my PCP's office. I like my PCP, but the office is so ineffectual and I have to call them a minimum of three times to accomplish any single task. They're giving me a hard time about getting this stupid vaccination. They said I shouldn't do it when trying to become pregnant and I should go back to the fertility office to tell them that, which they clearly already know....and I told them multiple times that I can't START any fertility treatments until they give me this shot and then have to wait for a MONTH afterward. It's just wasting time now and I haven't been this angry in I don't even know how long. Obviously DH and I are the only people who care about this because doing anything is a major battle. I've been looking for a place online where I can issue a complaint but can't find anything. SO ANGRY. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, so sorry about your disappointing test results.

Wpp, you have the worst docs I've ever heard of...argh!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

WPP, your doctors and mine should get together.

Ask for a BCP RX from your PCP and don't fill it. They will then assume you are not TTC and will give you the shots that you need.  I hate the medical profession. They make everything 10X more difficult than it needs to be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

ETA: I am anticipating issues when I go to my dr next week. I need a whole slew of shot so I can go visit DH in the south Pacific in about 5 months.  They are going to go NUTS b/c I can't get many of the shots if I am pg or TTC.  They have been so obtuse so far that I expect to get pushback from them even though DH is deployed and it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for me to get pg.  I'm not on BCP so CLEARLY I am at risk.  ;-P It was hard enough to schedule 1 appt where they would do 3 things: a yearly checkup, a PAP smear, and a referral for a mammogram. They wanted me to make 3 appts.  I had to cajole people until they let me make 1 appt. Do they think people don't work?  Is each item REALLY worthy of an individual visit? Since when was a PAP not included as a part of a yearly physical, and instead became a stand alone test?  Gah! I have no doubt they are going to make me come back another time for the shots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

this whole vaccination thing is horrible!  I had no idea.  And, that s ucks your dh is deployed, alf.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

SS - I am sorry about your test results.  I don't think I ever had that done.  If I did, my doctors probably didn't have the heart to tell me the results.   I am just going to throw this out there.  One of the best things about donor and what made me excited to do it was that I knew even if I eeked out a little egg that fertilized, I could not imagine being able to have a sibling too.  So, certainly I would not give up hope with your eggs but I am going to give you the real positive slant if they tell you to consider donor.  Having a sibling for us was super easy - just went and thawed.  It took two cycles but if you have a young enough donor, there is a very good chance that you would have extra for the future.  It really helped me in general to see the positive in my alternative option so that if that became a reality, I felt better about it.  Still hoping that IVF alone will work for you!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

lil, thanks for sharing your perspective on a donor.  I think if we try a few cycles on the more aggressive meds and its still not working I would go down that path.  I think that just the experience of carrying and giving birth to a child would make it feel more "mine" than any genetic connection anyway.  The main reasons I am hesitant to go that route are financial and legal.  Can I ask about how much it costs to get a donor?  Looking at my insurance plan I think they would cover the medical costs for a donor but not the actual egg costs.  Do you know if the donor has any legal rights?  Is it like adoption where there are open and closed adoptions and they can have contact?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

SS - I'm sorry you're dealing with another setback. I'm sure your doctor will have good options for you. Have you met with them yet?

WPP - I'm so frustrated for you. FWIW, I do like that your RE is being proactive about your vaccinations. No one ever asked me about my vaccination history (although I used to work at a hospital, so I imagine that if I was missing anything, I would have gotten it then). I keep pushing DH to call his doctor and find out if he needs any boosters and I'm going to ask my parents to do the same. I don't think you can be too careful about this. I think ALF gave you great advice though. If it makes them feel better to give you a vaccine and BCP, let them. 

ALF - I hope your doctor cuts you a little slack, knowing that your husband is deployed. I hope you're doing okay while he's gone!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks Chiclet.  The RE suspected after my response to the last cycle that this would be the case so she already set in motion the game plan for this next cycle even before I got the results.  I guess I just didn't believe we could be so unlucky to both have such severe issues so the results were still a shock.  IVF is the only real option for both of us so we're doing another cycle. Hopefully the mega-doses of drugs I'll be doing that are usually reserved for those trying this in their 40s will make a difference this round.

WPP and ALF - Good luck to you both in resolving the vaccine issues.  That must be so frustrating!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

SS - Your RE sounds brilliant! Good luck with your next cycle! I hope you were able to take good care of yourself this weekend! You've had a rough couple of weeks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

SS, good luck with your upcoming IVF cycle!!

ALF, sorry to hear that your DH is deployed and you're dealing with all of the vaccination annoyances too. I'm starting to learn to lie a little bit more (about irrelevant issues) that make my life with the doctors easier. How long is your DH's deployment? I hope you're able to get those vaccinations to visit. I didn't realize you needed a lot for the Pacific?

Chiclet, I know, DH is pretty lax about his vaccinations/medical history too. We've both started looking into a lot more with all of this going on!

I raised a big stink at my PCP's office and made an appt for that shot this week! I've never been so happy about getting a giant needle stuck in my arm. I hope the month of waiting goes by fast. 

Apropos of nothing, today is my parents' 35th anniversary! I just think that's really cool. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - happy anniversary to your parents. It's my parents' anniversary as well. 29 years today! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

SS - our insurance covered most of the donor process.  We paid 7,000 I believe to the donor and maybe 1,000 for some testing that was not covered.  This may seem like a lot but certainly is not compared to adoption costs.

Our donor is anonymous however, we made the lawyer put in the contract that if by chance the girls want to look for her they can and our donor approved that.  I think she would have been willing to meet if we wanted to.  I really didn't and don't.  I think she is a little angel and really don't feel the need.  I hope the girls feel the same but who knows when they get older. 

We absolutely have a legal contract and any RE office would make you go to a lawyer.  I have a great one if you ever need it (she went through some kind of infertility herself).  She talked us through how to protect ourselves.  In truth, however, there are very few cases that really set a precedent in donor families.  Certainly our contract says she has no right to the embryos/eggs once donated.  I do not believe in our contract she has any rights to come track us down.

Hope that helps and hope you don't need the info!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In response to WhirledPeasPlease's comment:

SS, good luck with your upcoming IVF cycle!!

ALF, sorry to hear that your DH is deployed and you're dealing with all of the vaccination annoyances too. I'm starting to learn to lie a little bit more (about irrelevant issues) that make my life with the doctors easier. How long is your DH's deployment? I hope you're able to get those vaccinations to visit. I didn't realize you needed a lot for the Pacific?

Chiclet, I know, DH is pretty lax about his vaccinations/medical history too. We've both started looking into a lot more with all of this going on!

I raised a big stink at my PCP's office and made an appt for that shot this week! I've never been so happy about getting a giant needle stuck in my arm. I hope the month of waiting goes by fast. 

Apropos of nothing, today is my parents' 35th anniversary! I just think that's really cool. 

HI WPP! I'll actually be visiting him in southeast Asia, so there are quite a few shots that the CDC website says I'll need.  My 'routine vaccinations' for developed countries are up to date. I hate shots too, but I'm motivated! He's gone for over a year.  I've actually been too busy at work to miss him too much, which is both a blessing and a curse.  I need a vacation!   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks lil!  I really appreciate you sharing how the process worked.  Everything is so much scarier when you don't know someone who has gone down that road before.  Honestly I don't know what I would do without this forum to make me feel like I'm not the only one going through this.

Congrats to all the anniversaries.  It's actually my two year wedding anniversary today.  Time flies!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Happy anniversary, SS! I hope you and DH can enjoy it and do something to take the stress away. 

clc, yet another crazy overlap of our lives, lol! Happy anniversary to your parents too. 

ALF, you should stare at a lovely Asian landscape on your phone (or your DH!) while you get the rest of your shots. Vacation!

So I issued that complaint to my doctor's office, and I'm impressed at how they've handled it. My doctor called me to personally apologize and put me in touch with the director of patient services, who also apologized and said that I shouldn't have had such a difficult a time. They're speaking with the staff and using this as a teaching experience, and they said it won't happen again. I got my appt for tomorrow morning and I'm happy about that. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--I'm so glad you took the initiative to complain!  I have a few places where I think someone dropped the ball during my care/hospitalization in April, and I never followed through with clear feedback to the appointment--just some disorganized grumbling...  Anyway, it's good that your PCP office is being responsive (finally)!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Wow its been quiet on here lately!  Hope everything is going well with you ladies.  I'm heading to San Diego tomorrow and finally getting started with my cycle.  I start the estrogen patches tomorrow and three Ganirelix shots on Thursday then hopefully AF will show just after I get back next week. 

Hope the TSA is kind to me and doesn't inspect my needles too closely while going through security.  Wish me luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

GL SS!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I've got everything crossed for you SSbride! I'm going to CA tomorrow too.  I promise I'm not stalking you though--different city. :p

No dice on the previous cycle for me, although in retrospect our timing was abysmal in part due to my travel schedule and my DH's work schedule. (I thought we might have been ok, but I'm guessing that I o'd early on the basis of my cycle length and usual LP length.  My chart got all screwed up.)  

On the plus side, I've made it through two cycles now without taking any prescription painkillers during AF.  Not that it hasn't been painful, but on my personal scale of AF pain, it was notably better than usual.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Best wishes, SS!

siena, I love the microwaveable heat pads with aromatherapy like they sell before Christmas in mall kiosks.  Lavendar is my favorite for PMS.  Also, Trader Joes has a lot of lavendar stuff like bath/body oil, dryer bags, etc., and I do find it relaxing, but maybe it's psychosomatic, who knows.

I watched a dr oz last month about pushing the childbearing envelope and there were good arguments, IMO, for not doing so into one's 40s.  One thing that got my attention is my 1 in 30 chance of having a child with Down's at my age.  I'd read it was 1 in 100 at 40, and learning it's actually three times that is jarring.  Not sure how I want to handle it since dh is pro ttc for as long as it seems possible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks kar!  Those heating pads sound nice.  I will check it out.  With the more moderate cramps I had the last two times, I'm newly interested in alternative pain management options.  I've been alternating advil & tylenol as my OB recommends and that was sufficient to take the edge of this time (i.e. I did not spend the whole day in bed crying from pain).  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Hi All! BFP here! I went on Monday for an early ultrasound, and I am measuring at 6w1d, and there was a heartbeat. I go back in two weeks, then again at 10 weeks. If everything is still looking good, I'll be graduated to the OB. I am cautiously optimistic, but I don't think I'll be able to really believe it will all work out until I get past the firt trimester.... I've had a miscarriage at 8+ weeks after detecting a heartbeat at a previous visit, so I'm still quite nervous. keep your fingers crossed for me!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats and super sticky thoughts coming your way, Amy-Lynn!  Peace to you as you take things day by day. :)

Sections
Shortcuts