September TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

September TTC

Finally!  we can start new discussions!!!!

Not really any news here... officially on the baby making train and feeling good about it.  It is weird that the topic always seems to come up in coversation with friends, and I am sometimes unsure how open to be.  My closest friends know we are TTC, but more casual friends will make comments about having kids "someday" ... but I feel hesitant to share in case it takes a while.  Work friends are a whole other issue.  Don't want to be too open around work, wouldn't want anyone getting bad ideas about not assigning good projects, making assumptions about my future employment, etc.  So around work friends I make vague allusions to future children and then change the topic to my dog.  Oh the joys of working in a male-dominated field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: September TTC

Yay Bostongrl. Such an exciting time for you!  My DH and I did not tell ANYONE even close friends and family that we were TTC, so you are not alone in that.  I didn't want to share the news with anyone knowing it could take a long time to get pg.  The fun thing about that is that now that we are pg. people have been shocked about the news. No one had any idea, and thought we were waiting for a few more years to have kids.  It is kinda more fun that way!   I think it would be awkward at least for me, to have ppl at work know we were trying, and to always wonder if I gained weight or something if it is baby weight.  I think you should do what's comfortable for you, it's nice to have ppl to talk to about it, but also nice to have it be something between you and your dh as well.  Good luck this month! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Day 85 for me Yell.  We have an appointment for DH on Friday so at this point I am not going to try to force anything with me until we have a better idea of what his situation is.  We are open to IUI but not a sperm donor...so if things look ok to use his stuff harvested in a non traditional manner then we will continue to unravel my new issues and hopefully if his stuff is harvestable then my new issues are resolvable.  But if nothing can be harvested then we will have a whole different set of questions to answer starting with; to adopt or not to adopt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Second IUI on Friday was not great.... apparently I have some kind of weird cervix, as it took about 15 minutes to get the catheter inserted, and when it did go in, YOWZAH, did it hurt!

Saturday night I was having these weird fluttering sensations on my right side (down low, near ovaries).  Anyone else had these?  It was seriously weird!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I am also officially on board for September TTC :)  A question I've been meaning to ask - do you ladies have a preferred brand of HPTs that you use?  I thought about running out and grabbing a few but realized I have no idea which brand to buy...and the awkward 20-year old in me sort of wants to get in and get out as fast as possible.  (Why are things like that still embarrassing to buy!  That said, I still hide the box of tampons at the bottom of the grocery cart.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

By the way, I would have started a new thread for the HPT question but didn't have the new thread option...what is going on! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

LilSprout - I personally like the digital HPTs that say "pregnant" or "not pregnant".  No guessing about lines!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sprout, I believe I used EPTs that could detect pregancy 4 (6?) days before missed period.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it until your period is late or you aren't experiencing your usual PMS symptoms.  I didn't buy any until our 3rd month of trying.  It's easy to get caught up and spend a lot of money on TTC!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks poppy & fram...I thought the same.  At first we're not going to think much about it until I am a few days late for AF...  unless it's been 3-4 months and nothing is happening.  I can see my Type A, way controlling-self getting too obsessed with testing, so we're just going to go with the flow.  Coincidentally, I am expecting to ovulate right around our first wedding anniversary next week!  That way it'll be extra fun to just give it a go! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I agree with Fram...if the pregnancy tests are in the house, you're going to want to use them!  If you wait to buy until you miss you're period, at least the temptation isn't as easily accessible.

Good luck TTC...it's a frustrating process sometimes, full of lots of lows and the occasional high.  Don't forget as you go through it that you're on this journey because you love your partner and this is an extension of that.  It can be hard to remember in the midst of tracking ovulation and 2WW, but it's the most important relationship in this whole process.  Make sure you take care of one another!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

scorp - refresh us on what they think is causing the super-long cycles on your end?  and also, do you have reason to suspect there's something up w/ DH's stuff or is this just an exploratory test this friday?  ugh, SO frustrating.  my longest cycle was 93 days and it drove me MAD!!!  :(  i feel for you.  good luck this friday.

prill - weird about the IUI!  but i think that's awesome news that your responded to the clomid the first month, and that the OPK worked!  so even if it doesn't happen this round maybe next month or the month after will be your month.  hang in there.  (strange re: the sensation you feel - could be something?!?!?!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Not sure what is up with me to be quite honest at my regular appointment in June my longest cycle was 36 days nothing too crazy but we were not pg so my do did a pelvic ultra sound and thyroid tests on me.  They all came back good/normal and it was after that appointment that I had my u/s so about day 3 or 5 of the current cycle that I am on.

DH knew that he might have a problem and he had a s/a and the count is so incredibly low but the two other numbers...drawing a blank motility and something else were good.  We figure at this point since we know that a sperm donor is out of the question for us; we are going to hold off a bit to see if this is a fluky cycle for me because why go to all kinds of lengths to see if there is an issue with my 'stuff' if his 'stuff' is off and we know we can't fix it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Scorpio, good luck on Friday! I hope those little guys just need a "push." :-)

I agree about the HPTs, when it came around time where I thought I might get a positive test, I was able to talk myself into waiting a few more days since I didn't have any on hand. When I did test early this time, I bought the First Response "6 days early" test - I did not get the positive 6 days early, but I DID get a (very very faint) positive about 4 days early.  The only reason I even bothered was b/c we had a big wedding weekend coming up and I needed to know if I could drink (or not, as it turned out). Otherwise I definitely would have waited it out.  

So my advice is to not have them in stock at your house, and wait as long as your mind can handle. Those things do get expensive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

For those of you worried about cost, I admit that my pregnancy was confirmed by a $1 HPT from the dollar store!  Yes, they sell them, and yes, they do actually work (I had my doubts, trust me!).  My girlfriend tried for quite awhile before getting pregnant, and she swore by them.  Saved her a ton of cash.

The only thing about those tests is that they're not the POAS kind; you have to pee in a cup and use a dropper to put a few drops on the test.  But if that doesn't bother you, you can save some serious money!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

If you have regular cycles, I found it was most helpful to wait until AF was at least a day late before testing.  It was how I kept myself sane.  But we know everyone has different methods for that.  :)

If your cycles are unpredictable, my advice would be wait until about 2 weeks after you think you ovulated. 

I was pg for probably a week or two (didn't know it) when I went to Cancun and drank every day for a week straight.  When I found out I was pg I worried about the drinking, but then learned that there is no exchange between mom and baby for several (I forget the number...?  5 or 6?) weeks after conception, so alcohol and other stuff you ingest cannot harm your baby before that exchange begins to occur.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks, gals - I will try to hold off as long as possible...my cycles are about 28-30 days so they're pretty regular.  (Although I know by the time day 28 comes, I'll start getting antsy...especially for the first try!)  I am trying to convince myself that this may take a while and just because I know others who have gotten PG on the first go at it doesn't mean I will...(I'm 30 and have heard tales from both sides, though.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

You ladies probably will think I am crazy for buying these hpts, but after spending $10 or whatever it was on 2, I decided to give these a try.  I was one of those people that even if I didn't have the tests in the house, I would have run out to buy more. It gave me sanity of mind while trying to TTC. And they worked, gave me a faint-faint line 5 days early, and got gradually darker that week.  I couldn't pass up the good deal, I mean $5 for 25! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been buying those, but I still cave and buy the First Response 6-day hCG boosting ones because they tell you even earlier.  BUT, if I were SANE, I'd just use those cheapies - they work just fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

This pregnancy, I took one of those First Response 6-day boosting tests 4 days prior to when my period was due and it came up negative.  I took another one 2 days prior and it was also negative.  I took them this early only because I had a suspicion I was pregnant, and we were going away for the weekend and I wanted to know whether I could have some wine. It wasn't until two days after my period was due that I got my BFP, which is weird because when I had blood drawn a day later, my HcG was 1112.  So strange things can happen and therefore, I would advise to wait as long as you can handle waiting no matter what kind of test you take. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Am, you just saved me tons of $$$, thank you so much!  I thought those boosting ones definitely worked better, but if not, I'll just use my cheapie ones from Amazon!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

What does HcG stand for?  I could google it but asking you will give me an excuse to jump onto the forums again in a couple of hours :) 

(I wonder how many hours I've spent here between wedding planning and pre-TTC!)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

HcG is the hormone found in pregnant women's blood/urine.  Here is the explanation, straight from Wikipedia (not the most reliable source in general, but fine for this purpose):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wonder why the First Response hCG boosting tests didn't work for you.  They claim that 100% of pg when in "their tests" got a postive result four days before their missed periods.

(hCG is pregnancy hormone, not sure why the h is lowercase and the CG are capital, but here's an article from American Pregnancy about Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks, ladies!  So many acronyms...  (I finally today figured out "AFM" - ha!)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

The h is lowercase because it is human Chorionic Gonadotropin. It is a scientific convention to use a lowercase letter for the animal (mouse, human, cow etc.) then capitalize the hormone. So when your milk is bGH or rbGH free, it doesn't have bovine growth hormone, or recombinant bovine growth hormone.

Sections
Shortcuts