September TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

September TTC

Yay for all the positive pg tests this past summer! Hopefully the fall can be more of the same!

My genetic tests came back normal, so my dr still doesn't understand why the embryos keep dying off. I started the pill last week, so I'm bound for another round of meds in the next couple weeks. I have a meeting with her in a couple days to go over the new medicine regime.

I do have to say, honestly, that being med free last month made my life easier. Less crying, less stress, less freaking over small stuff. Even my therapist thought I looked better. After a week on the pill, I already feel a little out of sorts. I never reacted this badly to hormones when I was in my twenties. Either that or I was such a drama queen back then no one noticed the difference (which is a distinct possibility. I worked with an entirely female staff and we THRIVED on drama).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: September TTC

KMMZ, the hormones are one reason I could never go that route - I'd truly not be able to handle it.  BC drives me into the ground emotionally not to mention makes me hungry all the time.  Gained 30 lbs the first year I was on it.  If the TTC regimen is worse...omgosh, I can't imagine.

So, all that to say, GL and I hope you get and STAY pg really soon!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck KMMZ.  Hoping this is your last round of meds!

AF arrived yesterday so we are ready to go for cycle #2.  I ordered the OPK strips today so guess we are going all out this month.  I think I'll even grab some mucinex.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Good luck KMMZ!!!

Hi Kar!

Clc - Good luck and lots of baby dust to you this month.

Hello to everyone else!

AFM - We decided to try for #2 this past cycle. DD will be 2 on Friday. We tried for her for just over 2 years. I am currently 14DPO with no sign of AF yet. I'm just trying to keep calm and not make a big deal out of it. I went into this thinking it would take a while and I'm still not convinced AF won't show before the day is over. I'll probably buy a test on my way home from work tonight. I haven't told DH anything yet - he hasn't asked. Our timing was not that great - 3 days before and the morning after. I will be completely shocked if we actually got it on the first try. Hope everyone is well!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Almost!  Best wishes - in my bubble of experience, people who have a hard time for the first get pg super fast for #2.  Hoping you fit that!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Thanks, Kar! I guess we'll know soon enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Good luck, KMMZ! Sorry to hear about AF, CLC. 

Do you guys read Slate? There's a new series on DoubleX and I'm irrationally annoyed by it. It's written by a blogger/writer/economist who just published the book, "Expecting Better," and the book and the Slate articles basically answer pregnant women's questions and she gives out medical advice without medical training/license. She sidesteps this ethical quandry by saying that it's not advice, she just uses an economic perspective to help women decide whether they should ignore conventional medical wisdom or embrace it (the book's synopsis on Amazon amazes me). And she says that women don't have to take her advice, so no accountability needed!

Anyway, today's is called "The Best Method for Getting Pregnant." There's something about it that bothers me greatly, but maybe I'm overreacting.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/expecting_better/2013/09/04/ovulation_tracking_to_get_pregnant_should_you_chart_your_temperature_check.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Can't believe it! Two lines this morning. I am just beside myself right now. I fully expected AF to show up this morning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CONGRATS and best sticky wishes, Almost!  I had a feeling. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Congrats, Almost!!  That's amazing!

WPP - I read that Slate article. Some of the people who write parenting columns for that site are out of their minds. There was one article yesterday about a woman who doesn't talk about her daughter on social media - which I get - but apparently she's written other parenting columns for Slate that make her sound like a lunatic. I enjoy a lot of articles from Slate, but a lot of their stuff is unbelievably smug - esp. the parenting columns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

KMMZ - Hoping this will be the last time you have to deal with those crazy hormones. I totally understand what you mean. I was kind of psycho too when I was on the pill. (Some people might say more than kind of...)

CLC - good luck this time! I swear it was the opk's that got me my bfp both last time and this time.

Almost - Congrats!!!! I got a bfp first try this time too and it took a year the last time. I don't really feel pregnant which makes me nervous, so I'm not ready to join the pregnancy boards but hopefully will see you on there soon. We should be due around the same time!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Cici, do I remember rightly that you're still nursing?  I really didn't feel pregnant at all this time compared to last time--I especially remember that last time I had extreme breast tenderness, and this time I had none at all until well into the second trimester, and by that time I had stopped nursing.  I was still nursing when I got pregnant and I think that may have made a big difference to those symptoms. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Thanks for the Congrats Ladies!!

Cici - I don't feel pregnant either. I had all day sickness from week 6 thru 16 last time, but don't really have any signs of anything at this point. My EDD is 5/14. Congrats to you as well!!

Thistle - I had the breast tenderness about 10DPO last, but nothing this time. It is neat to see the differences from each one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thistle & Almost - thanks for the reassurance that it's normal not to have the same exact symptoms for a second pregnancy! I haven't had any breast tenderness and I thought it would be worse since I am nursing. I noticed a spot of pink when I wiped twice so I was kind of freaking out but it hasn't returned and I have started having some nausea and fatigue so I guess this pregnancy may be progressing. We shall see in a few weeks I guess.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Just lurking, but I saw this article about how commonly quoted statistics on fertility for women over 30 come from 17th -19th century French parish records - and might not be accurate for today. Thought I'd share it with everyone here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24128176

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

How's it going over here?  Quiet again!  I'm in the 2ww.  I'm not totally optimistic because the timing didn't quite work out how I had imagined but hoping we got some of my fertile days covered.  I got my positive OPK on Wednesday morning and by Wednesday afternoon was sick.  Didn't start feeling better until part way through Friday so BD Friday and Sunday.  Hopefully Friday night I caught the tail end of my window. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Good Luck clc and hopefully you are feeling better!  Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.  Wednesday I have my appt my yearly apt and Im going to have my mirena removed.  So nervous!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hi All -- Have been lurking on these boards as DH and I are thinking of trying for #2 this winter. I'm finding myself more ambivalent this time around. I'm excited to try again and hopefully have another baby, but a part of me wants DS to be older before we have another (he's 19 mos now, so if TTC took roughly the same amount of time, he'd be not quite 3 when #2 arrived).

In any case, I figure it makes sense to start taking prenatals again, since I remember hearing taking them at least 3 mos prior to conceiving can help. I remember being overwhelmed by choices and prices last time around and switching between brands. I ultimately just had my doc write a prescription for one she recommended. Any tips on good brands or how to choose?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

I can't swallow pills any more, so I bought the chewable Target brand. I had my dr prescribe some for me last time around and, no joke, they were so freaking huge I threw up the first time I took them. So I switched back to the Target ones. My ob told me the generic ones were fine; I only asked for the script because I wanted to increase my DHA intake. There's a brand that sells prenatals with an extra DHA pill that you can take with it (I forget which brand). BJs sells it in bulk and it comes in a pink package.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Arcain - I take the Target generic brand.  I have found that they are the cheapest.  While they are a big pill I have no trouble with them.  I take mine right before bed so any reaction to them is  while I'm asleep.  While pg with #1 I took the Target chewables too but you have to take 2 a day of those so it ended up being more expensive.  I had my OB write an rx this time around but I haven't filled it yet because I had stocked up at Target.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

GL, Arcain!  

I didn't know taking prenatals helped fertility; I thought it was to ensure that you had enough folate in your system that if you get pg you will prevent birth defects that can develop in the very first few cell divisions - I think spina bifida is one that happens really early w/out enough folate.  Either way, my doc said any multivitamin with 400 mcg of folate and DHA would be fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I took (actually am still taking, since I am breatfeeding) Flintstones chewable multivitamins, with a separate 400 ug Folic acid pill, and a Fish oil capsule that had the highest levels of DHA listed on it, but was still one pill a day. I'm not sure if it is the cheapest, but it was what worked for me. Also, even when I wasn't TTC, I took the multivitamin, so I just added the extra folic acid when TTC, then when all the recommendations for DHA came out, I added the fish oil. It is kind of a pain to take 3 separate pills, but I think you get more DHA taking it as a stand alone. I'd just go with whatever works best for you. Whatever you decide, choose vitamins that are USP verified, it means they have been tested to ensure that they actually contain the listed vitamins in the listed amounts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I can't swallow huge pills either so I go chewable/gummy. This probably isn't the smartest way but I was buying what was on sale and contained the correct DV amounts. Target is good but  lately I've been taking the CVS brand since they were B1G1 free about a month ago. Taste wise I prefer CVS brand.

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I take the CVS generic brand. I like that the DHA is plant-based instead of fish-based.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I do the NatureMade ones with a photo of a mom and baby; they're the cheapest ones at Stop&Shop. They have all the right DV  amounts. Before that, I did something else with a DHA (fish-based) supplement, which smelled awful and was making me extra nauseated. I didn't know the pills could do that, by my midwife suggested switching and that helped my nausea a lot!