Sick During the 2WW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookiesandbrownies. Show cookiesandbrownies's posts

Sick During the 2WW

I am supposed to get my period on Friday so I am closing in on the end of my 2 week wait - the problem is that I have come down with something UGLY! I have the chills, body aches, sore throat and chest congestion...I did go to the doctor yesterday and, of course, she said we just have to wait and see! I am nervous to take anything because we have been trying for so long now that I don't want to mess anything up! BUT, I feel terrible and I am just not sure what to do! Thoughts? I just want to know one way or the other!! So frustrating!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Sick During the 2WW

I was really sick last year during a 2 ww window. I ended up getting AF 5 days into the illness and was so happy at that point to be able to down all the meds I wanted! :)

Here's what my OB says about cold/flu medications:

• Regular strength acetaminophen (Tylenol) is the medication of choice for headache or fever. Please do not take aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen sodium unless directed by your physican. If you have a fever of 100.6 or higher, please call the office or your family doctor. If your headache does not improve with acetaminophen please call your doctor.
    • You may use a saline nasal spray.
    • A warm salt-water gargle is recommended for a sore throat. You may use throat drops, spray, or lozenges. A cool air vaporizer may help you sleep at night. It is essential to increase fluid intake and get sufficient rest. If your nasal or throat drainage changes from a clear color, please call your provider. You may consider plain Robitussin for coughs or chest congestion.
    • For severe sinus congestion with colds, allergies, or flu, you may ask your doctor about using pseudoephedrine (Sudafed). This medication should only be used for a few days as it can raise your blood pressure. Please do not take this medication if you have high blood pressure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!

The flu is going around.  DH gave it to me before he was even all the way over it so now we're both sick. :(

Anyway, I'm also in the 2ww.  I hope I didn't do the potential baby any harm, but I selfishly caved and took a dose of Nyquil last night.  Probaby very stupid, but I was just soooo miserable, and part of me was thinking, "I'm not pg, anyway" since I never am.  Figured (or rationalized is more like it) that there was no sense in suffering.

I don't have any advice, and I certainly don't advise doing what I did.  But, I wanted you to know you are not the only one struggling.

Feel better, Dear, and I hope if you abstain from taking anything that will help you feel better it's for a SUPER DUPER good reason! ;)

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amrunner. Show amrunner's posts

In Response to Re: Sick During the 2WW:
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!! The flu is going around.  DH gave it to me before he was even all the way over it so now we're both sick. :( Anyway, I'm also in the 2ww.  I hope I didn't do the potential baby any harm, but I selfishly caved and took a dose of Nyquil last night.  Probaby very stupid, but I was just soooo miserable, and part of me was thinking, "I'm not pg, anyway" since I never am.  Figured (or rationalized is more like it) that there was no sense in suffering. I don't have any advice, and I certainly don't advise doing what I did.  But, I wanted you to know you are not the only one struggling. Feel better, Dear, and I hope if you abstain from taking anything that will help you feel better it's for a SUPER DUPER good reason! ;) ~kar
    Posted by kargiver

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amrunner. Show amrunner's posts

Kar-
    I wouldn't panic about the Nyquil. When I was talking to my dr about TTC and asking her what I needed to change in terms of diet or avoid in terms of medication she basically told me to change my allergy medication to one that's ok during pregnancy and to avoid taking advil etc. BUT, she said not to panic if I'd taken some advil or some other stuff before I found out that I was actually pregnant.

The part of my brain that tries to prevent the rest of my brain from freaking out about stuff like that says that there are tons of people who have unplanned pregnancies who probably take over-the-counter medication that aren't "pregnancy-approved" before they find out that they're pregnant. And I bet things usually turn out ok.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookiesandbrownies. Show cookiesandbrownies's posts

Kargiver, I felt like I was reading my own post when reading yours! I feel the same way!! BUT, sadly, I got my period last night.  I had a little bit of brown spotting the day before and yesterday morning and thought I was having implantation bleeding, so I was trying to be extra cautious - a day later, here I am sick WITH my period and cramps! HA! Not a good day, to say the least...but I just have to suk it up - hey, at least I can take some good meds now! ugh!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookiesandbrownies. Show cookiesandbrownies's posts

thank you so much for taking the time to provide all this information - very informative!!!

In Response to Re: Sick During the 2WW:
    I was really sick last year during a 2 ww window. I ended up getting AF 5 days into the illness and was so happy at that point to be able to down all the meds I wanted! :) Here's what my OB says about cold/flu medications: Regular strength acetaminophen (Tylenol) is the medication of choice for headache or fever. Please do not take aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen sodium unless directed by your physican. If you have a fever of 100.6 or higher, please call the office or your family doctor. If your headache does not improve with acetaminophen please call your doctor. You may use a saline nasal spray . A warm salt-water gargle is recommended for a sore throat. You may use throat drops, spray, or lozenges. A cool air vaporizer may help you sleep at night. It is essential to increase fluid intake and get sufficient rest. If your nasal or throat drainage changes from a clear color, please call your provider. You may consider plain Robitussin for coughs or chest congestion. For severe sinus congestion with colds, allergies, or flu, you may ask your doctor about using pseudoephedrine (Sudafed). This medication should only be used for a few days as it can raise your blood pressure. Please do not take this medication if you have high blood pressure.
    Posted by kiwigal

Sections
Shortcuts