The "right" doctor...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

The "right" doctor...

Hi everyone!  I feel like I should start by saying hello and also that I have been lurking on the boards since before my partner and I decided to TTC (three months since I went off the BC...)!  I have to say that these message boards have really been an awesome place for me to come and see how much support there is.  I am the first out of my friends to "try" so the support system isn't there yet to talk about experiences/questions/concerns.

Ok here's my dilemma, so I have a OBGYN that I absolutely love.  I have been going to the office for about 6 years (since getting kicked out of pediatrics :)) and I have also seen the other MD's when my primary is out and they are also wonderful.  The problem is that originally I grew up only two towns over from where the office is (at Emerson Hospital).  Now we live about 12 miles away (it doesn't sound like alot but there are highways and busy roadways that are ALWAYS congested).  My concern isn't so much getting to the hospital when it's time to deliver (hopefully it will happen at 2 am so every other driver is asleep!), it's the conveinience for routine appointments.

I consulted my doc the last time I was in and she said it's completely up to me but that they have had patients come far and wide for their birthing center (surprise surprise).  I just don't know what to do.  Do I change doctors to someone who is affiliated with a closer hospital (Winchester is literally 3 minutes away) and run the risk of having luke warm feelings about the person? Or should I stick with the person I really like and would feel comfortable with...even though getting to her may be a HUGE hassle?

It's all kind of in limbo as it is since I won't switch till I'm pregnant and need to go for an exam. Which gives me time to research...

Does anyone know of any awesome OBGYN's that are affiliated with Winchester?  Can anyone shine some light on my issue(s)? Wink

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Re: The "right" doctor...

I don't know any doctors in your area, though I think there are other ladies on this board who are around there, but my advice would be to meet with a few ob-gyns (for an "informational interview" type thing) closer to you and see if you find anyone you "click" with, that you would feel comfortable caring for you during a pregnancy.  You wouldn't have to quit your current Ob-Gyn until you find someone else that you really like. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

In Response to Re: The "right" doctor...:
    [QUOTE]I don't know any doctors in your area, though I think there are other ladies on this board who are around there, but my advice would be to meet with a few ob-gyns (for an "informational interview" type thing) closer to you and see if you find anyone you "click" with, that you would feel comfortable caring for you during a pregnancy.  You wouldn't have to quit your current Ob-Gyn until you find someone else that you really like. 
    Posted by am1028[/QUOTE]

Thanks AM.  That was my inital plan but the few docs I have called will not do a "meet and greet". Kind of frustrating that they just expect people to just take a leap of faith!

I think I'm extra nervous because I just switched my promary care physician and she's just not for me.  All the recommendations were glowing but when I met her I thought she was borderline rude and brushed me off.

Sorry to be paranoid and thanks for the advice!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

That is frustrating.  I understand that the doctors are busy, but it seems like they should do a meet and greet because how would you know if you wanted to switch without even meeting the person first.  Can you just wait until you get PG and then go to an Ob-Gyn near home for your first appointment and see if you like the person and then if so you can switch, if not, stay with your current doc?  Sorry I don't have any better ideas....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

In Response to Re: The "right" doctor...:
    [QUOTE]That is frustrating.  I understand that the doctors are busy, but it seems like they should do a meet and greet because how would you know if you wanted to switch without even meeting the person first.  Can you just wait until you get PG and then go to an Ob-Gyn near home for your first appointment and see if you like the person and then if so you can switch, if not, stay with your current doc?  Sorry I don't have any better ideas....
    Posted by am1028[/QUOTE]

It's ok!  I think I'm going to try and see who else on these would be familiar with Winchester and go from there.

Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from califslim. Show califslim's posts

Hi CoffeeQueen,
    You said you had an obgyn that you loved at Emerson. Can you make a recommendation to me ? I'm looking for an obgyn in that area. Thanks !

Also, don't be too nervous about having to change obgyns. My colleague changed 3 times, the last being at 32 weeks. Until you are pregnant and thinking about what is important to you about labor and delivery, etc. you may discover that your fit with the dr. changes.

Good luck ttc !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Hi Califslim,

It feels like so long since the OP. To make a long story short, I ended already being preganant and I went to a doc affiliated with Winchester. I had a really bad experience and it scared me back to Concord. I was so greatful they took me back. Wink

The office is A.F.A OBGYN, located in the John Cummings Building at Emerson Hospital. I LOVE the doctor (Dr. Ingrid Balcomb), all the nurses (Lesley Kenney is the RNC and she rocks) and I met the midwife yesterday and she is awesome too (Sherriann Periroltis).

As my appointments have progressed I definately feel like I am in the right place. I have heard glowing reviews of Emerson Labor and Delivery (from old aquiantances that have had their babies there).

Good luck!