Trying for a girl?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from baby2009. Show baby2009's posts

Trying for a girl?

Thanks for the responses, misslily and firecracker! I don't know how regular my cycle is in terms of keeping track of ovulation. Do you know if those ovulation predictor kits "predict" in time for one to try 5 days before ovulation? :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baby2009. Show baby2009's posts

Trying for a girl?

Hi there,

I feel silly asking this, but I really want a daughter and wondered if anyone knew of any ways to "boost" the chances of having one sex over the other??? Might be worth trying, at least? :)

TIA!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Trying for a girl?

the best thing to do to predict your ovulation date in time is to take your basal body temperature every morning when you wake up -before you get out of bed (the thermometers are usually digital and go to 10th or 100th of a degree, i got mine at CVS)

check out fertilityfriend.com they have a gallery of people's bbt charts that you can check out I really enjoyed doing it and learned a lot about my body. you can sign up for a free membership & track your temps online. They recommend doing it at almost exactly the same time each morning, but i wake up with 3 hour differences between days and it worked out fine for me.

Once you do that - you'll have a better idea of what is "5 days before" and so on. OPK'S can be a bit tricky - you always have that hormone in your system and it should register a darker line when that hormone (LH) surges about 12-48 hours before ovulation, so it might take a while and some $$ spent on test strips to figure out what your normal LH level looks like.

Not to mention I found it a PIA to hold my urine for 4 hours during the day (they dont recommend using first morning urine).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Trying for a girl?

TTC = trying to conceive not necessarily having a difficult time conceiving. this is a message board not strictly a support board for people who are having issues with their fertility.

If i end up having 2 boys in a row, I'm definitely going to do whatever i can to try to have a girl for the third one.

PS she didn't say it was her "Greatest concern" she just said she wanted a girl ... relax.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jenh314. Show jenh314's posts

Trying for a girl?

You could also try a fertility monitor. They are pricey, but they measure not only your LH surge, but also your surge of estrogen right before you ovulate, giving you a "high" fertility (when it detects estrogen) and a "peak" fertility (when it detects the LH surge). The good thing about the monitor is that it gets to know your cycle and can better pinpoint your high fertility time.

Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Trying for a girl?

I'm sorry baby2009, but when you have people on these boards that are going through heartbreaking times just trying to conceive at all, or through losses, it seems somewhat juvenile that your greatest concern is the s*x of the baby.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from baby2009. Show baby2009's posts

Trying for a girl?

Wow - I ask a simple (fun!) question and this is what I get back. You seem like a really nice person, Prill.

I don't think it's juvenile to try for a certain sex - in my opinion, it's just family planning.

Guess I'll look elsewhere for advice... thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Trying for a girl?

Um, try growing up and just being happy if/when you have a healthy baby.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from firecracker. Show firecracker's posts

Trying for a girl?

Baby 2009 -

I took my basal body temperature every morning and then I used Ovulation Predictor Sticks to track my ovulation. In addition, I monitored my cervical secretions. This is all in the Taking Charge of Your Fertility book.

For the temps - they suggest you do it around the same time every morning (20 minute diff o.k.). If you wake up an hour late don't worry you can go to this sight and it will adjust the temp for you. I did this sometimes when I overslept on the weekend. Not a big deal but don't get in the habit of doing it everyday.
    http://www.whenmybaby.com/basalbodytemperature.php

For the OPK's - I ovulated generally around the same time every month (day 13 or 14) so what I would do is start using the OPK's around day 10 to track my surge. I used the Answer ovulation kits because they come with 20 sticks so you can test more than once a day. I would use them in the morning when I first woke up and then once again when I got home from work (those were the only times of day where I could hold my pee long enough). It worked for me because I was able to clearly see my surge. When I thought I hit my surge I would then use a digital OPK test to confirm. Smiley faces were the best! I hated wasting the digitals so this allowed me to stretch out the box 3 months instead of wasting it in one.

For the cervical secretions - I just monitored my panties (I wear black thongs everyday so it was easy to see). As I would get closer to ovulation there would be more "goop" on my panties.

So having said all of this. It's important to know how your cycle works first before you "start trying for a girl". You would want to know the generally day you ovulate so the next month you can start trying 4 or 5 days beforehand. As someone else mentioned, boys swim faster but die quicker therefore if you have sex on the day before or day of ovulation the boys have a higher chance of making it to the egg first. Girls swim slower but last longer therefore if you have sex on day 4 or 5 before ovulation the girls have a higher chance of making it to the egg first because the boys would have died already.

Good luck!

I am almost 15 weeks along and I can't wait to find out what we are having! :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from firecracker. Show firecracker's posts

Trying for a girl?

Baby2009 - Your question is perfectly fine. The answer to it is to have intercourse as far away from ovulation as possible but to still do it within the "window of opportunity". Window of opportunity is usually about 5 days before ovulation. The book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" has a whole chapter on this subject. Basically you should have intercourse 4-5 days before ovulation and then refrain from intercourse about 2-3 days before and the day of ovulation. If that doesn't work (i.e. you do not conceive that cycle) then try going closer in (i.e. have intercourse 3-5 days before ovulation and then refrain from intercourse 2 days before and the day of ovulation). And if that doesn't work then you would do 2-5 days before ovulation, etc.

Hope that helps. Don't let other people get you down on this website!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from merilisa. Show merilisa's posts

Re: Trying for a girl?

I think the other ladies covered it, but the Taking Charge of Your Fertility book should be standard issue for all women who decide they are ready to have a family.  Even if you get pregnant if your guy looks at you lustfully, it is a really great idea to know what is going on in your own body.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

[QUOTE]Hi there, I feel silly asking this, but I really want a daughter and wondered if anyone knew of any ways to "boost" the chances of having one sex over the other??? Might be worth trying, at least? :) TIA!
    Posted by baby2009[/QUOTE]

Like the other ladies have said, girl sperm are supposed to be slower swimmer but live longer. BUT this didn't happen to me. We BD a few days before O, and by all accounts I should have had a girl, but I have a beautiful boy who is tons of fun (and born 38 weeks after I o'd to the day so my O day was right on). So try as you may to have a girl with timing, it doesn't always work out that way. Laughing If there are other ways to ensure a girl don't tell my MIL, she'll be forcing them on me to ensure the next grandchild is a girl.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Even when doing all of these things, it only increases your chances of having a girl by about 5%.    So don't get too excited.  ;-)     Its fun to try to control what happens in our bodies I guess, but any number of parents can attest to you that there is really no way to ensure one sex over another!

I assure you no matter what the sex of your child, you will love them all the same :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you try too long for a girl by that method you may end up not having a baby of either gender.  Sperm generally doesn't live longer than 2 or 3 days, 5 is on the outside. Give it a good college try, and if you don't get pg, go back to trying for either gender closer to your O target date.

Best!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

DH and I followed the method of BD-ing 4 & 5 days before ovulation (although it was sort of by happenstance - 2 days before ovulation I got a yeast infection, which halted ALL BD-ing!) so I'm VERY curious to see if the theory of slow-female-sperm holds true for us.  I'm 16 weeks and we'll find out a week from today whether we're having a boy or girl.  Obviously, healthy with ten fingers & ten toes is all we really want, but as the eldest child with 5 younger brothers and NO sisters, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sorta pulling for a girl.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

Hhmm, you got me thinking about this now.
    Pretty sure that we BD the day I ovulated - and I'm having a boy!

I remember my Mom's old friends (who were fighter pilots back in the day) talking about how all fighter pilots had girls - because their "junk" was exposed to heat in the cockpit all the time.  I think there might be some truth to that though .... I think I remember reading about how excessive hot tub use can damage sperm - maybe the heat slows the them down?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from annchild. Show annchild's posts

we are going to try for that girl. anyone know those hints work that are on the internet.thanksSmile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Baby 2009 - I second Veggirl's comment.  My best friend's first child was a son, then when she and DH were trying for their second she was desperate for a girl (some will say it shouldn't matter, but to some people it does really matter) and tried *literally* EVERY method known to man.  She has books upon books upon books.  She is very much a perfectionist and followed every method to a T .  They had their second baby boy about 2 years later.  He is beautiful and of course they adore him.  But that was her experience. 

I have no idea how I ended up with italics, but I can't "undo" them - sorry!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gimmieabreak. Show gimmieabreak's posts

I'm having a terrible day today...I laughed out loud when I read:

I have no idea how I ended up with italics, but I can't "undo" them - sorry!

Thanks!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yesterday, all of a sudden, I couldn't use the apostrophe button without being launched into some kind of search function.  You don't know how many contractions and possessives you use until you can't type the apostrophe!  I had to close the browser and get back in to fix it.  I have no idea how it happened.

OK, nothing to add on OP, but I was amused by the italics. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

LOL - glad my italics conundrum was amusing for people!
    Kargiver - that is totally bizarre about your apostrophe issue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gimmieabreak. Show gimmieabreak's posts

It was a wonderful distraction from the TTC process and it's nice to have a good giggle while dealing with some failed attempts.
    Kargiver - Definitely frustrating at the moment but these things are always kinda funny in hindsight.

Sections
Shortcuts