TTC after miscarriage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KatMac27. Show KatMac27's posts

TTC after miscarriage

Hello, I am new to this forum and was looking for some support, guidance, and some ladies to share my ride on this crazy train that is TTC.  Sorry in advance for my long winded story ;)

I am trying for my second child after an unexpected pregnancy and miscarriage. I was having symptoms and took a test October 23 when AF didnt rear her ugly head. Much to my surprise there was a very faint BFP. I tested a few days later and there was still a faint BFP but definately darker than the first I took. I called the OBGYN and made an appointment. I had all the symptyoms under the sun. At 5w4d 10/29, I began spotting, which turned into light bleeding. I went in for a blood test and got a call the next day... it was Negative :( I only bled (with small clots, no pain) for three days. On the evening of the third day (10/31) DH and I DTD. I had tested that morning to see if I was still registering a BFP and got a clear negative. I spotted very lightly for two more days then it all stopped. The symptoms, the spotting, the googling, the obsession. I am now 7 days from when the bleeding stopped and woke up with sore bbs a headache and nausea. I was feeling really fatigued last night so I took a test, mainly cause they are there and I have OCD. Wanting to make sure I had no HCG left and can sit here and obssess over when I will Ovulate. I POAS went back to it about 5 min later and it was stark white (sigh of relief, cause when I wiped this morning I had a slight pink tinge to my CM) I grabbed the test this morning to chuck in the garbage and there was a faint pink line, really faint and long past the ten minute time mark... but it was not an evap. (which is how I found out I was PG the first time) Sooooo now I am asking myself, am I getting a leftover surge of HCG from the miscarriage? Is it at all possible I could  be pregnant again so soon after a MC? Surely it sounds ridiculous that I would drop an egg within a day of a MC ending and implant that soon. But why would I get a clear negative.... then, what could be a line 7 days later? Yes I am crazy, Yes it sounds impossible, Yes I am hoping and praying (and a tad worried) I could be pregnant again, but the real possibility is just left over hormonal trickery. I hope there are a few other ladies out there that want to hold my hand and skip enthusiastically into TTC land.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: TTC after miscarriage

Hey KatMac, first of all, sorry for you loss and second, welcome to the boards.  As for your questions, I'm not sure I have a clear answer for you but I can tell you what I would do.  Call you OBGYN, explain what you're seeing and ask them to do a blood test.  If it's positive for HCG then I would ask for a repeat to make sure it's increasing.  In this case it seems the POAS method is not giving you a clear answer but a blood test surely would.  I guess it's possible that you could have released another egg, fraternal twins aren't always conceived on the same night, so it's possible.  Good luck! And let us know how it goes!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Hi KatMac, I'd also reccomend seeing the OB, sometimes an ectopic pregnancy can cause bleeding, and really weird ups and downs of hCG. That is something you don't want to take a wait and see approach with - better to see the doctor to be sure. But no matter what is going on, these boards are a great place to get support. Best of luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Hi Kat - Welcome!  Im am also sorry to hear about your roller coaster ride.  I will echo what the other girls said and see your doctor.  Good Luck!

clc - are you in the 2ww?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Pugs - I'll be honest I have no clue.  Our lives have been so crazy right now that I skipped the OPKs this month and decided to just wing it.  So we'll see.  I'm on day 19 so perhaps in the 2ww but if my cycle is as long as it was last month (42 days) then I should be O'ing now.  So we'll see!

How about you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KatMac27. Show KatMac27's posts

Thank you for the replies ladies. I called my OBGYN today and gave her a brief synopsis of what was going on and she told me to test again with a HPT in the morning then call the office. I explained to her I would like a quantative blood test and she just replied for me to call in the morning and we will figure it out. Ugh.... Anyway....... I ended up getting a killer headache, very bloated, more sore bbs and AF like cramping throughout the day. . I am either ready to O, gonna get AF, pregnant, or I am just going crazy. These hormones are a force to be reckon with! I will keep you posted on the OBGYN tomorrow. Thanks again for the support :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

clc - you should get busy :)  Life does sometimes get in the way...there is always next month!

kat - Im glad you called to doctors. Let us know how it goes today?  Whats HPT?  Is it a specific kind of test? If so, why would they recommend that kind?

My bbs have been sore and some other symptoms but I tested last night and it was negative.  Af is due on 11/16 so maybe its a little to early to test?  Its crazy that my body is feeling these symptoms bc my head/heart wants it to happen.  The human mind is crazy!  Also, I found this ovulation calculator that tracks back 3 months.  http://www.webmd.com/baby/healthtool-ovulation-calculator  Hope its helpful!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KatMac27. Show KatMac27's posts

Pugs ~ HPT = Home Pregnancy Test.... I have been using the pink dye dollar tree tests and a few First Response Early Results. I really hope you get your BFP.

I tested this morning, waited 5 min, didn't see anything so I went back to bed. I woke up a few hours later and looked at it and the darn thing had another faint pink line. I don't know if these dollar tree tests are notorious for evap lines but it definately has color to it. I called the OB and she said I can come in for a blood test... but I had clients all day so I am going to have to wait until Tuesday to go in. (monday is a holiday so the lab is closed) I talked to her about a possible ectopic and she said I was not a candidate and it was highly unlikely for me but if the levels come back whacky she will double check. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck tomorrow Kat.

Good luck to you too Pugs.  I hope it was too early to test.  I do however agree that sometimes it's all in your mind.  That was me last month for sure, only took me 10 BFN's to figure that out. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Kat,

Sorry you are dealing with a mc.  I went through the same thing so I understand.  In fact, it's very, very common and is why the general rule of thumb is not to tell of your pg until 12 weeks.  Before super sensitive home tests, women didn't even know they had conceived and assumed AF was just late. Now we know it's a very common occurrence (even among happy parents of healthy children!) thanks to technology.

So, all that to say, yes, you can get pg right after an early mc; it doesn't mess your system up like one that occurs later in pg.  As others have said, test for ectopic, but it's just as likely that you're pregnant and things are fine this time.  

The body rejects conceptions that have gone catastrophically wrong; it happens all the time and does not imply ANYTHING, positive or negative, with regard to future pregnancies.  If it weren't for sensitive home pg tests we'd be blissfully unaware, and many would assume that the only time they ever got pregnant was the time they had a baby.  Of course, maybe they had gotten pg 3 times before that, for instance, but they never knew.

Knowing, however, is painful no matter how common an occurrence early losses are, and, again, I'm sorry for your very real loss.  I still think about how old our child would have been (4, now), and I was only about 4 weeks pg.  I definitely would never have known had we not been trying and so testing every month, but now I have a loss to deal with, too.  Thanks, First Response.

Hoping everything works out fine with this pregnancy, Kat, because, yes, you can.  Early mc really doesn't mess your system up.  Best wishes!!

ETA: it's impossible to have a "leftover surge" of hCG.  The presence of an implanted embryo causes that hormone to be produced.  No embryo, no more production of pg hormone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pugs, take my post to Kat as a warning - sometimes knowing super early isn't as favorable as you might think.  Many pregnancies detected before AF is due are real but end up with an AF like mc soon after she's due.  I'm sorry I ever tested before AF was due and know about our loss.  I think, honestly, it's just a marketing ploy intended to sell more pregnancy tests.  You can get just as good prenatal care for finding out after AF is due especially if you are already taking prenatal vitamins.  

ETA:  Having your curiosity satisfied before then is a risk of learning something you wish you didn't know.  And, there will be people who argue and say how knowing repeat mc is good to know, but I disagree for super early ones; it's a chromosomal catastrophe that causes those, they happen all the time for no testable or discernible reason, and there's nothing that can be done to avoid it.  The mc's we need to know about for medical reasons are the ones that happen later in pg, and it's not like you have to know 6 days before AF is due to know you're more than a few weeks pg and lost the baby.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Any update Kat and Pugs?  Hoping the best for both of you!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KatMac27. Show KatMac27's posts

Thank you for your kind response Kargiver and I too am very sorry for your loss. Testing early definitely has it's ups and downs. I can honestly say I would have never known if I didn't test early, I would have just thought AF came a little late. Oh and by the way anybody testing with dollar tree pink dye tests.... Those suckers give horrible evap lines.

I went to the doctors on Tuesday, my blood test came back at 0 hcg. I asked a lot of questions, didn't get a lot of answers and left more confused than when I went in. Until yesterday, I was at work and all of a sudden... Boom, ovulation pains on my left side! I have never been so happy to feel my ovary throb! It sounds silly but it was a relief to know I wasn't loosing my mind. I came home, jumped on DH and had a relaxing evening. Then today I was at the mall and boom, ovary pain on my right side! I usually only get pain on one side but hey, I'll take it lol. Now into the TWW but I swear I will not be POAS until AF is due. I don't want to go through the pain if god forbid it ended up like the last. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kat, sorry this time did not work out, but I'm glad my post was helpful.  Try, try, try to wait - there's no sense knowing info you can't use and, worse, just plain hurts.  Thank you, and I'm glad at least my experience can help others process their similar ones.  

Hugs and best wishes for a future successful pregnancy!  Remember, it's a miracle that two cells come perfectly together to make a human.  The fact that this time it didn't means NOTHING for your future.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Sorry Kat, hopefully you'll have a sticky pregnancy soon. 

I must be in the 2ww by now, I'm on day 32.  I'm going to wait until next week to test considering my cycles have been between 40-46 days.  I was reading online (damn you google) that most often if your cycle is longer than 40 days then you don't ovulate.  I'm thinking I might want to call the dr and see what they think.  Thoughts? I'm only on month 4 of TTC so they might say I have to wait a year but if there is any chance they will do some testing prior to the year mark because of the long cycles I would want to know.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Hi!  I must have missed your post last week clc...

AF came on 11/13 so next week will be the week but I think we will do it every other day!  Sunday is my bday so maybe Ill get nice bday present this month!  Fingers crossed.

Good Luck this week clc.  I guess it doesnt hurt to call the doctor and see what they say about testing.  But you are probablly right that they might have you wait since its only been 4 months and your 28.  When I had my IUD removed the doctor told me that I had to wait 6 months since Ill be 36 Sunday.  How long did it take last time? 

Kat/Kar - I learned my lesson too testing too early.  But its so hard when you have the tests sitting right there!  Maybe this will be the month for you too, Kat! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

It took 9 months last time to get pg with DS.  However, my cycles weren't this long, they averaged about 34 days last time around.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

By the way, I'm totally manifesting pregnancy symptoms this week.  I know that it's all in my head but I can't help it.  Brutal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

clc - I don't know if this helps, but I saw my ob/gyn a month before my 35th birthday. Because I had been trying for six months already AND I was 35 (close enough), she didn't hesitate to start tests on me. Because of my previous issue trying to get pregnant the first time that added to her concerns.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're 35 or older, they only make you try for 6 months before they start testing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KatMac27. Show KatMac27's posts

Pugs~ thats why I have not gone out to buy tests lol. I used all the ones I had and I have not purchased any more because I know I will break down and POAS! 

clc~ I would talk to your OBGYN. It took me 2 years to concieve my DS. I had PCOS and my cycles were 34 days, we tried for a year and she put me on clomid, metformin, and progesterone. I was on them for 6 months, nothing happened, so she took me off and suggested I lose 10% of my body wieght. I wieghed 300lbs..... I lost 45lbs in 6 months and I got PG with my son. The clomid did help with my cycles. After I had DS my PCOS pretty much went away and I have had a regular 29 day cycle, like clockwork.

This has been the strangest cycle I have ever had. I got O pains 15 days after first day of m/c I had O pain for three days and have been having off and on AF like cramping ever since along with headaches, sore breasts, increased sense of smell, and just feeling "off" like I am going to get a cold. I have to keep checking myself to see if AF came cause my CM is really watery and I feel like I am leaking (sorry tmi). I am 8 days from first day of O pain so I would think it is too early to feel PG symptoms, I think because of the m/c my hormones are in overdrive lol

Good luck to everyone this month

Sections
Shortcuts